sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 12:24:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:02:54 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:
Any thoughts on it?
It is suspicious...right after the re-election?

My very first thaught...... He was schedualed to testify before Congress next week after contridicting President Obama on the Bengazi issue. Rather than be made a cape goat he concocted up this affair thing so Obama will have to find a new scape goat. That's just an opinion of course and can never be proved of course. But one thing that you can make a 100% guaranteed bet on is that the whole Bengazi issue will be swept under the rug, no one will be held accountable and you will never hear of it again.

Since when is having an affair while holding a govt post reason enough to resign your position?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
JrRepublican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 11:50:00 AM
What Petraeus did is wrong. However, why is it so shocking to people when a famous figure makes a mistake? After all, the general social more is strongly trending towards sexual immorality anyway; so it is hypocritical for people who don't hold to strict morals themselves to cry for the resignation of a man who has done no worse than they have done themselves.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 12:02:15 PM
The reason that Petraeus was obligated to resign is that, as the head of the CIA, he had top security clearance, and if anybody discovered his affair, it could have been used as a means to blackmail him.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 12:28:19 PM
At 11/11/2012 12:02:15 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
The reason that Petraeus was obligated to resign is that, as the head of the CIA, he had top security clearance, and if anybody discovered his affair, it could have been used as a means to blackmail him.

Aah, that's an interesting point. Makes more sense now.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 1:13:59 PM

Couldn't they just disclose the affair,like they have, and he keep his job? Can't blackmail him anymore.
I think there's more to it.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 1:27:03 PM
At 11/11/2012 12:28:19 PM, Kinesis wrote:

Aah, that's an interesting point. Makes more sense now.
Not really. If it were revealed by him before he resigned, his job would not be at stake, and I don't see where blackmailing comes to question.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 3:52:05 PM
First, it is against conduct for someone with top security clearance to have an affair and hide it like Petraeus did. Somebody hacked Petraeus' personal gmail account and found out about it before the FBI did. Petraeus' conduct was atrocious in that regard; he set himself up to be blackmailed.

Second, the people in the United States do not like their officials to have extramarital affairs. There would have been significant backlash against Petraeus and maybe even calls for his resignation based on the first point. The administration wanted to part with him on good terms. Why sully somebody's record for one indiscretion?

This is not a conspiracy theory, people. This is standard procedure.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 5:16:32 PM
At 11/11/2012 3:52:05 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
First, it is against conduct for someone with top security clearance to have an affair and hide it like Petraeus did. Somebody hacked Petraeus' personal gmail account and found out about it before the FBI did. Petraeus' conduct was atrocious in that regard; he set himself up to be blackmailed.

Second, the people in the United States do not like their officials to have extramarital affairs. There would have been significant backlash against Petraeus and maybe even calls for his resignation based on the first point. The administration wanted to part with him on good terms. Why sully somebody's record for one indiscretion?

Then why wasn't President Clinton forced to resign during his Presidency if it is standard procedure? No one has higher security clearance than the President or more suceptable to blackmail?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 5:42:59 AM
At 11/11/2012 5:16:32 PM, sadolite wrote:

Then why wasn't President Clinton forced to resign during his Presidency if it is standard procedure? No one has higher security clearance than the President or more suceptable to blackmail?

Petraeus is a spy, and having an affair is a punishable offense. Clinton was elected into office, and having an affair is not an impeachable offense for his office.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 4:18:14 PM
At 11/12/2012 5:42:59 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 11/11/2012 5:16:32 PM, sadolite wrote:

Petraeus is a spy, and having an affair is a punishable offense. Clinton was elected into office, and having an affair is not an impeachable offense for his office.

Oh I see that makes all the difference in the world, Thanks for clearing that up for me. If you are elected to office you can have all the affairs you want and if you are appointed it's the ax, especially spies. Got it. Can you give me a link to verify how you came to know this. I am sure there is one, right?

TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 11:53:54 PM

President Clinton was impeached by House of Representatives, but he was acquitted by Senate.
As for General Petraeus, his boss is President Obama, so perhaps there is no impeachment procedural.
It is not really a doubt-standard.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 3:34:00 AM
From what I have heard:

Pertaeus had an affair with a journalist/reporter who was doing his biography. This woman then stated that something happened in Bengazi, something about Lybians I think. The CIA/FBI denies this accusation, but can only assume she knew about this from Petraeus disclosing it or her spying on him (confused about why they would care about a non-true fact). Either way, Patraeus allowed for sensitive, possibly classified, information to be leaked; this is why he resigned. Or so the story goes...

I don't think an affair is necessarily a big deal for one in the CIA, but as a general, it is against the military's code of conduct.
My work here is, finally, done.
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 6:27:22 AM
At 11/14/2012 3:34:00 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
From what I have heard:

Pertaeus had an affair with a journalist/reporter who was doing his biography. This woman then stated that something happened in Bengazi, something about Lybians I think. The CIA/FBI denies this accusation, but can only assume she knew about this from Petraeus disclosing it or her spying on him (confused about why they would care about a non-true fact). Either way, Patraeus allowed for sensitive, possibly classified, information to be leaked; this is why he resigned. Or so the story goes...

I don't think an affair is necessarily a big deal for one in the CIA, but as a general, it is against the military's code of conduct.

The reporter you had mentioned, her name is Paula Broadwell. The interesting thing is that she also graduated from West Point, same as Gen.Petraeus. She had a clearance due to her work with Gen.Petraeus in Afghanistan, but perhaps not as high as Gen.Petraeus.

Well, she did talk about some clandestine CIA prisons in the Libya consulate and CIA annex, but she also said that she got the information from Fox News. FBI did find classified information on her computer, but no charge has been filed so far since FBI also stated that there is no evidence suggesting that national security was breached. Now, another general, General Allen ensnared in this twisted scandal. Gen.Allen sent some "inappropriate" message to Ms.Kelly who received the harassment email from Gen.Petraeus's mistress. And Ms.Kelly is a close friend to Gen. Petraeus and his wife. Another interesting thing is that House majority leader knew the event as early as October, but he did not report to Congress. So no one, including President Obama, knew the scandal until the election night. Now, two generals, two women, CIA & FBI, House of Representatives, and Pentagon, they are all in...

General Allen may face military justice...but highly unlikely...
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2013 8:58:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't think he needed to resign. If he came out with the affair there is no way to blackmail him. What he did was wrong, but it is not like he killed someone.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 6:06:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The man was a high level, instrumental participant in some of this country's recent immoral, imperialistic militarism, and who knows what CIA-perpetrated evils, and the thing that causes him to be viewed as an ethically challenged individual is a sex scandal! Yes, sad commentary indeed on the kind of lacunae-riddled morality that our society instills into its citizenry. You know the lacunae, the moral blind spots that I'm referring to, the ones that prevent us from seeing our military and its leaders and personnel as an evil force for violently and death-dealingly implementing the will of the economic-political elite; that don't permit us to view our beloved Uncle Sam as a genuine bad guy when he commits the same sort of villainy that we demonize certain other nations and their leaders for engaging in; and that disallow us from recognizing mass-murdering American presidents as utterly wicked criminals who should spend their retirement behind bars. Yes, the American sense of morality leaves a very great deal to be desired.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.