Jump to topic:

Palestine Non-member Observer State

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 7:50:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Palestine achieved becoming the latest non member observer state in the UN. They join the Vatican as the only other non member observer state.

Europe largely abstained from the vote. The US and Israel of course are in a tizzy.

Susan Rice the US ambassador to the UN said, "Today"s grand pronouncements will soon fade. And the Palestinian people will wake up tomorrow and find that little about their lives has changed, save that the prospects of a durable peace have only receded."
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 7:59:28 AM
It is very disappointing that the US has a policy towards Israel of unilaterally supporting them. From once side of the mouth they disapprove continued settlement in the West Bank, but when it comes down to it we will never vote against Isreal or take any type of action against them.

The fundamental problem is that our foreign policy is not sophisticated enough to enable the distinction of working with the West Bank and PLO while shunning the Gaza strip and Hamas. In other terms we continue to disfranchise moderate Palestinians in order to make a statement against radical Palestinians, who don't care anyway.

That is stupid, unsophisticated, and really brings doubt around ours and Israel's true motive in the region.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 8:05:08 AM
Last thing I will say was an interesting concept. Of course I rail against Israel often, but the Palestinians deserve much credit for their own misery. As a whole they clearly do not want peace nor their own state.

I read of this suggestion that the quickest way for them to get their own state would have been to say that they don't want a state, but they do want equal representation in Israel governance and want equality.

It would have forced an apartheid situation and rather than giving Palestinians equal representation in Israel's government they would stop settling the west bank and say "no no, you guys go off and rule your self on this plot of land and we will recognize your state."

Was an interesting concept.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 8:57:35 AM
At 11/30/2012 8:05:08 AM, slo1 wrote:
Last thing I will say was an interesting concept. Of course I rail against Israel often, but the Palestinians deserve much credit for their own misery. As a whole they clearly do not want peace nor their own state.

This is my opinion as well. Of course there's a good deal of blame on both sides, but it's undeniable that if the Palestinians threw down their weapons, there'd be peace the next day, whereas if the Israelis threw down their weapons, they'd be butchered. So of the two countries, I think I'd rather have Israel win.

I'm also not very sure if I'm ready to believe that Israel is an apartheid state, since I know for a fact that Arabs are able to hold government and political positions as well as own property, vote, and serve in the military. Heck, an Arab judge in Israel was able to sentence a former Israeli president to jail.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 9:30:29 AM
At 11/30/2012 8:57:35 AM, quarterexchange wrote:

This is my opinion as well. Of course there's a good deal of blame on both sides, but it's undeniable that if the Palestinians threw down their weapons, there'd be peace the next day, whereas if the Israelis threw down their weapons, they'd be butchered. So of the two countries, I think I'd rather have Israel win.

I'm also not very sure if I'm ready to believe that Israel is an apartheid state, since I know for a fact that Arabs are able to hold government and political positions as well as own property, vote, and serve in the military. Heck, an Arab judge in Israel was able to sentence a former Israeli president to jail.

The Palestinians in the West Bank don't have any voiting rights in Isreal. If they gave up statehood and said they wanted the land to go back into isreal proper then Palestinians would suddently out number Jews and could control the Isreali govt. That of course would not be allowed to happen.

Also, while there is no formal separation of Palestinians living in Isreal proper there is plenty of informal discrimination, partly to keep them as a minority. As a result there maybe peace if Palestinians laid down their arms, but it would not end their oppression.
falconduler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 5:03:44 PM
At 11/30/2012 7:59:28 AM, slo1 wrote:
It is very disappointing that the US has a policy towards Israel of unilaterally supporting them. From once side of the mouth they disapprove continued settlement in the West Bank, but when it comes down to it we will never vote against Isreal or take any type of action against them.

The fundamental problem is that our foreign policy is not sophisticated enough to enable the distinction of working with the West Bank and PLO while shunning the Gaza strip and Hamas. In other terms we continue to disfranchise moderate Palestinians in order to make a statement against radical Palestinians, who don't care anyway.

That is stupid, unsophisticated, and really brings doubt around ours and Israel's true motive in the region.

if your campaign financing depended on it,what would you do?
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 1:29:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/30/2012 7:55:57 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Israel has decided to "take action" against Palestine in response to this. LOOL, the whole world has exposed them.

Of, course the Kurds obviously don't need a state enough to get the coverage that Palestine does, even though there are hundreds of millions of them, they actually have a cultural identity, and they've been persecuted far more than the Palestinians have. It all changes when the Jews are involved!
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 2:29:42 PM

I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
CarefulNow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 1:17:50 PM

But Labor and Likud agreed decades ago that no Arab party would ever be part of a coalition government. That pact, not surprisingly, hasn't been disturbed by the rise of centrist and far-right parties. That means that Israeli enforcement of Jewish majority amounts to effective disenfranchisement of Israeli Arabs, to say nothing of Palestinian Arabs. It should also be noted that the South African apartheid state had to mix coercion with bribes with the regard to the Bantustans. Israel has such a military advantage, on the other hand, that it can afford to subject the occupied territories to the direst poverty.