Total Posts:37|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do celebrities receive biased treatment?

Joshuaaa
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Joshuaaa
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Joshuaaa
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 1:05:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

Its not that it can't be solved, its that every body assumes you need to be rich and powerful to get away with things, so how could we change this?
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 1:10:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 1:05:16 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

Its not that it can't be solved, its that every body assumes you need to be rich and powerful to get away with things, so how could we change this?

The easy way to fix this is to stop committing crimes. Also the cases are often dropped because the rich know how to stall and waste the prosecutors money. Often you could prosecute a dozen poor people for the same price as one rich person.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Joshuaaa
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 1:12:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 1:10:19 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:05:16 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

Its not that it can't be solved, its that every body assumes you need to be rich and powerful to get away with things, so how could we change this?

The easy way to fix this is to stop committing crimes. Also the cases are often dropped because the rich know how to stall and waste the prosecutors money. Often you could prosecute a dozen poor people for the same price as one rich person.

Then couldn't the courts supply the defendant with a lawyer to remove the price tag on them instead of allowing for lawyers to be bought by the defendant?
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 1:13:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 1:12:23 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:10:19 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:05:16 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

Its not that it can't be solved, its that every body assumes you need to be rich and powerful to get away with things, so how could we change this?

The easy way to fix this is to stop committing crimes. Also the cases are often dropped because the rich know how to stall and waste the prosecutors money. Often you could prosecute a dozen poor people for the same price as one rich person.

Then couldn't the courts supply the defendant with a lawyer to remove the price tag on them instead of allowing for lawyers to be bought by the defendant?

No, that would be restricting the free market of lawyers, and making me pay to defend crimes I did not commit.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Joshuaaa
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 1:15:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 1:13:36 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:12:23 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:10:19 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:05:16 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

Its not that it can't be solved, its that every body assumes you need to be rich and powerful to get away with things, so how could we change this?

The easy way to fix this is to stop committing crimes. Also the cases are often dropped because the rich know how to stall and waste the prosecutors money. Often you could prosecute a dozen poor people for the same price as one rich person.

Then couldn't the courts supply the defendant with a lawyer to remove the price tag on them instead of allowing for lawyers to be bought by the defendant?

No, that would be restricting the free market of lawyers, and making me pay to defend crimes I did not commit.

Then is there any other solutions to this?
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 1:15:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 1:15:03 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:13:36 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:12:23 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:10:19 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:05:16 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

Its not that it can't be solved, its that every body assumes you need to be rich and powerful to get away with things, so how could we change this?

The easy way to fix this is to stop committing crimes. Also the cases are often dropped because the rich know how to stall and waste the prosecutors money. Often you could prosecute a dozen poor people for the same price as one rich person.

Then couldn't the courts supply the defendant with a lawyer to remove the price tag on them instead of allowing for lawyers to be bought by the defendant?

No, that would be restricting the free market of lawyers, and making me pay to defend crimes I did not commit.

Then is there any other solutions to this?

There is not.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Joshuaaa
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 1:18:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 1:15:32 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:15:03 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:13:36 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:12:23 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:10:19 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:05:16 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

Its not that it can't be solved, its that every body assumes you need to be rich and powerful to get away with things, so how could we change this?

The easy way to fix this is to stop committing crimes. Also the cases are often dropped because the rich know how to stall and waste the prosecutors money. Often you could prosecute a dozen poor people for the same price as one rich person.

Then couldn't the courts supply the defendant with a lawyer to remove the price tag on them instead of allowing for lawyers to be bought by the defendant?

No, that would be restricting the free market of lawyers, and making me pay to defend crimes I did not commit.

Then is there any other solutions to this?

There is not.

Thank you for your input.
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 1:19:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 1:18:52 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:15:32 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:15:03 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:13:36 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:12:23 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:10:19 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:05:16 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

Its not that it can't be solved, its that every body assumes you need to be rich and powerful to get away with things, so how could we change this?

The easy way to fix this is to stop committing crimes. Also the cases are often dropped because the rich know how to stall and waste the prosecutors money. Often you could prosecute a dozen poor people for the same price as one rich person.

Then couldn't the courts supply the defendant with a lawyer to remove the price tag on them instead of allowing for lawyers to be bought by the defendant?

No, that would be restricting the free market of lawyers, and making me pay to defend crimes I did not commit.

Then is there any other solutions to this?

There is not.

Thank you for your input.
No problem
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 8:50:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They are more influential and wealthy. Judges are humans, they aren't machine.
As for the feeling, I would say: World is unfair. So embrace it.
Joshuaaa
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 6:17:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 8:50:57 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They are more influential and wealthy. Judges are humans, they aren't machine.
As for the feeling, I would say: World is unfair. So embrace it.

Could you suggest a way to change this though?
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 7:16:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Do celebrities receive biased treatment?" Was this intended to be a Well duh! question, because that's certainly what it is.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Franz_Reynard
Posts: 1,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 10:02:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

False.
Franz_Reynard
Posts: 1,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 10:02:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 1:05:16 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

Its not that it can't be solved, its that every body assumes you need to be rich and powerful to get away with things, so how could we change this?

Not be capitalists.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 1:21:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 10:02:37 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 1/25/2013 1:05:16 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

Its not that it can't be solved, its that every body assumes you need to be rich and powerful to get away with things, so how could we change this?

Not be capitalists.

Yes, let's all not be capitalists! See my new post in the society section on capitalism and why one shouldn't support it.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Joshuaaa
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 3:24:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 7:16:16 PM, charleslb wrote:
"Do celebrities receive biased treatment?" Was this intended to be a Well duh! question, because that's certainly what it is.

No this question is what i am studying for my GCSEs and i needed opinions from the public to show.
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 6:02:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 10:02:17 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

False.

If you invent something worthwhile you will be rich, if you invest in something like the next Google you will be rich. The opportunities are there.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 6:11:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/27/2013 6:02:25 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/26/2013 10:02:17 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

False.

If you invent something worthwhile you will be rich, if you invest in something like the next Google you will be rich. The opportunities are there.

These two things do not necessarily entail hard work though. Yes there are opportunities to become wealthy, but from what I've noticed it has more so to do with chance, and having the right connections/knowing the right people, to become truly sucessful. The latter is much moreso important as it requires those people to not only remember you, but for you to have left a worthwhile enough impression that they approach you with these opportunities.

My father busted his arse for 25+ years for the military and came away from it with so many health problems he was deemed majorly disabled from it. If hard work = becoming wealthy, he should be a freakin millionaire. Instead he is not. Comfortable sure, but certainly not wealthy. At least in terms of money.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 6:17:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/27/2013 6:11:59 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 1/27/2013 6:02:25 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/26/2013 10:02:17 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

False.

If you invent something worthwhile you will be rich, if you invest in something like the next Google you will be rich. The opportunities are there.

These two things do not necessarily entail hard work though. Yes there are opportunities to become wealthy, but from what I've noticed it has more so to do with chance, and having the right connections/knowing the right people, to become truly sucessful. The latter is much moreso important as it requires those people to not only remember you, but for you to have left a worthwhile enough impression that they approach you with these opportunities.

My father busted his arse for 25+ years for the military and came away from it with so many health problems he was deemed majorly disabled from it. If hard work = becoming wealthy, he should be a freakin millionaire. Instead he is not. Comfortable sure, but certainly not wealthy. At least in terms of money.

The problem with this example is that the military is a noble occupation, but it is not one to choose if you would like to be rich. Investment banking or engineering are two careers to pick. Also, it does not really have the element of chance as much as you think, its more "do you see the opportunities" or "do you know how to move up the corporate ladder".
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 6:28:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/27/2013 6:17:57 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
Also, it does not really have the element of chance as much as you think, its more "do you see the opportunities" or "do you know how to move up the corporate ladder".

Being able to see opportunities i see would require effort. One has to put effort into exploring opportunities, and failing a few times, to know which opportunities are good and which are bad.

Moving up the corporate ladder, ties right back into knowing the right people, and being charismatic enough for those people in higher places to think highly of you. Which takes a different approach per person. Some people appreciate arse-kissing. Some people truthful honesty when they ask your opinion. Some a mix of both.

Still there is an element of chance involved in becoming wealthy one can't ignore. Solely hard work may get you to rise up the ladder, but not nearly as much as people skills. I've busted my arse for three years at my job, and its not until recently, when i actually started putting for the effort to "ingratiate" myself with the management staff, that I've been considered for a promotion. The hard work totally helps the cause though
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 6:31:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/27/2013 6:28:07 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 1/27/2013 6:17:57 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
Also, it does not really have the element of chance as much as you think, its more "do you see the opportunities" or "do you know how to move up the corporate ladder".

Being able to see opportunities i see would require effort. One has to put effort into exploring opportunities, and failing a few times, to know which opportunities are good and which are bad.

Moving up the corporate ladder, ties right back into knowing the right people, and being charismatic enough for those people in higher places to think highly of you. Which takes a different approach per person. Some people appreciate arse-kissing. Some people truthful honesty when they ask your opinion. Some a mix of both.

Still there is an element of chance involved in becoming wealthy one can't ignore. Solely hard work may get you to rise up the ladder, but not nearly as much as people skills. I've busted my arse for three years at my job, and its not until recently, when i actually started putting for the effort to "ingratiate" myself with the management staff, that I've been considered for a promotion. The hard work totally helps the cause though
But its the extra effort, or hard work, that got you into the management staff, and then got you considered for a promotion.

I never said hard work stopped at butt-kissing
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 6:56:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 6:17:05 AM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 8:50:57 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They are more influential and wealthy. Judges are humans, they aren't machine.
As for the feeling, I would say: World is unfair. So embrace it.

Could you suggest a way to change this though?

Solution may resemble the form of: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
So the only way, I believe, that can possibly change the current course is for you to become powerful and influential. Yet the downfall is that when you become powerful and influential, you may just want to maintain the status quo instead of changing it. You have to sacrifice your own desires. No easy task if not impossible.
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 7:01:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/27/2013 6:02:25 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/26/2013 10:02:17 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

False.

If you invent something worthwhile you will be rich, if you invest in something like the next Google you will be rich. The opportunities are there.

Your would also need "luck." Working hard alone won't necessarily help you get what you want. That is what I would call "unfair."
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 7:38:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/27/2013 7:01:38 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 1/27/2013 6:02:25 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/26/2013 10:02:17 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

False.

If you invent something worthwhile you will be rich, if you invest in something like the next Google you will be rich. The opportunities are there.

Your would also need "luck." Working hard alone won't necessarily help you get what you want. That is what I would call "unfair."

Why is luck unfair?
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 7:54:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/27/2013 7:38:16 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/27/2013 7:01:38 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 1/27/2013 6:02:25 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/26/2013 10:02:17 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

False.

If you invent something worthwhile you will be rich, if you invest in something like the next Google you will be rich. The opportunities are there.

You would also need "luck." Working hard alone won't necessarily help you get what you want. That is what I would call "unfair."

Why is luck unfair?

Because only a few would procure it, even if many others work equally hard. Yet, if you don't work hard enough, you almost have zero chance of getting it. (except for lottery of course).
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 7:58:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/27/2013 7:54:47 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 1/27/2013 7:38:16 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/27/2013 7:01:38 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 1/27/2013 6:02:25 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/26/2013 10:02:17 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:54:07 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:50:36 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:41:09 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 12:35:24 PM, Joshuaaa wrote:
In the news we are constantly hearing of court cases when a celebrity has had charges against them dropped, but why are they being dropped? Is it because of their power? Is it because of their endless amount of money that can be spent on world class lawyers? We hear a lot of cases where a drug abuse case or an assault case have been filed against a celebrity, a case which has sufficient evidence that would almost immediately sentence a regular person to time in prison, or to at least get an appropriate punishment. Yet they are still finding ways to get let off of these charges with no more than a slap on the wrist or having a jail sentence to be shorter than it actually is, and eventually being let out of prison early.

What are your views on this subject?

They can hire better lawyers, its as simple as that.

So what would you say to enforcing a cap on the price that you can pay on lawyers? or do you have any other ideas on how to make the cases to be fair?

Life isn't fair get used to it. If you work hard you can be rich and hire awesome lawyers too. This is not a problem that needs solving, as the only way to solve it is pure communism.

False.

If you invent something worthwhile you will be rich, if you invest in something like the next Google you will be rich. The opportunities are there.

You would also need "luck." Working hard alone won't necessarily help you get what you want. That is what I would call "unfair."

Why is luck unfair?

Because only a few would procure it, even if many others work equally hard. Yet, if you don't work hard enough, you almost have zero chance of getting it. (except for lottery of course).

For that to be unfair, it would have to be biased, unjust, or dishonest.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 8:51:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
For that to be unfair, it would have to be biased, unjust, or dishonest.
According to your definition, if something is "unbiased, just, and honest." then it is fair.
So would you consider "luck" fair or unfair?