Swartz founder of reddit, commits suicide

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 2:29:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.wired.com...

Aaron Swartz, genius and visionary, committed suicide at age 26 because the govt was trying to throw him in jail for 35 years and fine him a million dollars for the crime of downloading too many JSTOR articles. Pretty sure murderers get charged with less time, this is what society does to activists.

The public should have access to research they paid for with their tax dollars in the first place. Publishing Software these days is trivial in cost and it's high time academia adopted a more efficient self publishing protocol. Aaron was going to do what jstor does for free, he was going to organize and disseminate the information without artificially inflating costs

Apparently the government thinks that its good for young people to get an education, but only if its through a government-approved institution for learning.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 2:59:09 PM
Apparently he killed himself because the govt wasn't just looking to put him in jail, they were pushing to have him locked up in a medium-to maximum security jail.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 3:54:52 PM
DarkKermit-It was hacking and fraud that he was on trial for. While I am a huge advocate of informational freedom, he did commit the crime, and he was facing 25 years in jail because of the sheer number of hacking charges.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 4:00:10 PM
Medium to Maximum security prison I should say.

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 4:03:58 PM
At 1/28/2013 4:00:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:

That's really unnecessary.

Would a person who committed a white-collar crime ever be put in such an institution?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 4:49:30 PM
At 1/28/2013 4:03:58 PM, Oryus wrote:

Would a person who committed a white-collar crime ever be put in such an institution?

Doesn't make sense, considering that it was a non-violent crime. A person like him wouldn't stand a chance in a prison like that.

Also, did the hacking actually harm anyone? Who was harmed via the action?
Open borders debate:
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 4:52:30 PM
At 1/28/2013 3:54:52 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
DarkKermit-It was hacking and fraud that he was on trial for. While I am a huge advocate of informational freedom, he did commit the crime, and he was facing 25 years in jail because of the sheer number of hacking charges.

"Swartz was accused of 13 felony counts relating to connecting a computer to MIT's network without authorization and retrieving over 4 million academic journal articles from the JSTOR database (he was permitted to access JSTOR because of his Harvard affiliation, but not to perform a bulk download)"
http://news.cnet.com...
What did he do beyond this?
What the Federal prosecutor did is appalling, pushing for 30 years in a med to max security prison.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 4:55:51 PM
I assume most people have used JSTOR or things similar, they are academic articles, digitized primary sources, etc. To think that downloading these education materials to share without permission would warrant such a response is ridiculous.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:00:45 PM
At 1/28/2013 4:52:30 PM, lewis20 wrote:

"Swartz was accused of 13 felony counts relating to connecting a computer to MIT's network without authorization and retrieving over 4 million academic journal articles from the JSTOR database (he was permitted to access JSTOR because of his Harvard affiliation, but not to perform a bulk download)"
What the Federal prosecutor did is appalling, pushing for 30 years in a med to max security prison.

Yeah, the sentencing is kind of insane. Fine the person a large amount and that's all.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:05:33 PM
At 1/28/2013 5:00:45 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Yeah, the sentencing is kind of insane. Fine the person a large amount and that's all.

Apparently Fed prosecutor Carmen Ortiz was on a power trip and looking to make a name for herself by prosecuting cyber crimes.

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:07:56 PM
At 1/28/2013 4:49:30 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Doesn't make sense, considering that it was a non-violent crime. A person like him wouldn't stand a chance in a prison like that.

That's what I was thinking. Even a white-collar crime does more harm to people than this. It's just absurd. That sentencing seems very vindictive on the part of the state.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:18:29 PM

It's more about principle than anything. The content creators have a right to not allow people to download their work. You can't justify it without justifying all kinds of other things like wiretapping and such.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:27:07 PM
At 1/28/2013 5:18:29 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

It's more about principle than anything. The content creators have a right to not allow people to download their work. You can't justify it without justifying all kinds of other things like wiretapping and such.

So is content so much more valuable than money that white-collar criminals would be put in less harsh facilities than the courts wanted to put this guy?
:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:33:10 PM
At 1/28/2013 5:27:07 PM, Oryus wrote:

So is content so much more valuable than money that white-collar criminals would be put in less harsh facilities than the courts wanted to put this guy?

Look at my previous post.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:35:40 PM

Except, first the research was done on taxpayer money. Second, the amount of money it costs for a research article is extrodinary high. It's like $40 per article, which is just a nice way of saying "fvck you, your not from a higher institution, therefore you can't get access to the article". It costs almost nothing to copy the article, so its not theft in the sense of stealing a bicycle, since it cost money to make the bicycle.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:37:05 PM

technically you can say that he stole millions. Although just because he stole millions, doesn't mean he cost millions.
Open borders debate:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:38:38 PM
At 1/28/2013 5:35:40 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Except, first the research was done on taxpayer money.
I'll concede this point.
Second, the amount of money it costs for a research article is extrodinary high. It's like $40 per article, which is just a nice way of saying "fvck you, your not from a higher institution, therefore you can't get access to the article". It costs almost nothing to copy the article, so its not theft in the sense of stealing a bicycle, since it cost money to make the bicycle.

That doesn't matter.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:41:59 PM
At 1/28/2013 5:37:05 PM, darkkermit wrote:

technically you can say that he stole millions. Although just because he stole millions, doesn't mean he cost millions.

Well, one could argue that because some people would rather download the papers illegally than pay for them given the opportunity it's actively deterring sales.

I agree that it's not theft in the way that stealing a bike is because the bike only is a singular bike. If one person is in possession of it no one else can be.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:53:03 PM
At 1/28/2013 5:41:59 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 1/28/2013 5:37:05 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Well, one could argue that because some people would rather download the papers illegally than pay for them given the opportunity it's actively deterring sales.

It might deter sales but, like dk said, the nature of it being for sale in the first place is a bit ridiculous. Taxpayers funded the studies by giving money to the government and then when the study was done, the government tries to sell the studies back, individually, to the taxpayers at an exorbitant price. That's where the activism comes in and the punishment seems harsh more to punish the activism than it is to punish the deed itself. With his act, he told the government, "what you're doing is wrong." And the state no likey civil disobedience.

I agree that it's not theft in the way that stealing a bike is because the bike only is a singular bike. If one person is in possession of it no one else can be.
:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 6:01:42 PM
There are better and smarter ways to go about it though. Start a petition or something.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 6:04:24 PM
Does it matter what the worth was? At worst he should have been sentenced to a white collar prison, he killed himself because they wanted to lock him up for decades with violent criminals.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 6:06:01 PM
At 1/28/2013 6:01:42 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
There are better and smarter ways to go about it though. Start a petition or something.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov...

Created May 13, 2012, 7 months ago. No response.
Open borders debate:
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 6:09:50 PM
At 1/28/2013 6:06:01 PM, darkkermit wrote:

It's more important to address things like the death star and Piers Morgan.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 6:11:22 PM
At 1/28/2013 6:06:01 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Ok, then host a protest.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 6:26:52 PM
I don't get why everyone always thinks that hacking is ok, until the agreed with it.

Be all for it or all against. He stole several million dollars worth of research. It doesn't matter if it "should" have been available, he still did it. There are other ways of trying to fix it. He's the friggen founder of Reddit, maybe do something crazy like start an online movement? Protest?

"But, the petition!"

So? First, I would wager there are quite a view petitions that had reached the old 25k mark, or the new one set. The White House made the petition thing so they can say their listening, respond to high-profile things, ect. But they don't have to respond. Plus, it would probably be a no.

And in no way was this a "last option" to protest this information being how it is.

As for the sentencing, I would personally put him in a med-security prison. He stole millions of dollars worth of info. They should have treated him like he did.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 6:33:52 PM

13 felony counts is a lot.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 6:36:33 PM
At 1/28/2013 6:04:24 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Does it matter what the worth was? At worst he should have been sentenced to a white collar prison, he killed himself because they wanted to lock him up for decades with violent criminals.

If he was innocent he had nothing to worry about. And killing himself was entirely a personal choice, not the prosecutors fault.

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 7:41:31 PM
At 1/28/2013 6:26:52 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I don't get why everyone always thinks that hacking is ok, until the agreed with it.

Be all for it or all against.

There's no reason to be all for or all against it. You're creating a false dichotomy. Like saying you have to be all against killing or all for it. You might be for killing in cases of self-defense or in times of war.

He stole several million dollars worth of research. It doesn't matter if it "should" have been available, he still did it. There are other ways of trying to fix it. He's the friggen founder of Reddit, maybe do something crazy like start an online movement? Protest?

"But, the petition!"

So? First, I would wager there are quite a view petitions that had reached the old 25k mark, or the new one set. The White House made the petition thing so they can say their listening, respond to high-profile things, ect. But they don't have to respond. Plus, it would probably be a no.

And in no way was this a "last option" to protest this information being how it is.

As for the sentencing, I would personally put him in a med-security prison. He stole millions of dollars worth of info. They should have treated him like he did.
:
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 8:00:55 PM
At 1/28/2013 6:36:33 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

If he was innocent he had nothing to worry about. And killing himself was entirely a personal choice, not the prosecutors fault.

He wasn't innocent, the punishment that the prosecutor was pushing for far exceeded the crime. That is absolutely the prosecutors fault.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 9:38:49 PM
At 1/28/2013 8:00:55 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 1/28/2013 6:36:33 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

He wasn't innocent, the punishment that the prosecutor was pushing for far exceeded the crime. That is absolutely the prosecutors fault.

Since when is stealing millions not worth life in AT LEAST a medium security prison.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-