Jump to topic:

Disgusting Pastor and Disgusting Restaurant

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 5:15:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
A pastor, Alois Bell, visited Applebee's for a meal with a large party and was thus asked to provide an 18% tip to the waitress. She decided that she had no desire to pay the waitress despite the fact that the waitress provided excellent service, so she wrote, "I give God 10%-why should I give you 18?" and then proceeded to pay $0 for the tip (meaning that she actually stole money from the waitress) and indicate that she was a pastor.

The waitress was pretty surprised by this act, so she posted the receipt online. There was no policy against this in the manual at Applebee's and she had never been told that customers who stole from her and wrote rude comments would be able to get away this behavior. The photograph went viral, and some of the pastor's friends confronted her. The pastor proceeded to call the restaurant and complain to the manager that her reputation had been destroyed and she had brought "embarrassment to her church". The victim, the waitress, was fired.

This is absolutely horrifying. The pastor claims that she did not want the note to be seen by anybody, so why did she write the comment on a receipt? On top of this, if she is so embarrassed about being an immoral thief, why has she not apologized and given the money that she owes to the waitress? She should be in jail, not enjoying herself and getting waitresses fired after she steals from them.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 5:26:38 AM
At 2/1/2013 5:15:08 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
A pastor, Alois Bell, visited Applebee's for a meal with a large party and was thus asked to provide an 18% tip to the waitress. She decided that she had no desire to pay the waitress despite the fact that the waitress provided excellent service, so she wrote, "I give God 10%-why should I give you 18?" and then proceeded to pay $0 for the tip (meaning that she actually stole money from the waitress) and indicate that she was a pastor.

The waitress was pretty surprised by this act, so she posted the receipt online. There was no policy against this in the manual at Applebee's and she had never been told that customers who stole from her and wrote rude comments would be able to get away this behavior. The photograph went viral, and some of the pastor's friends confronted her. The pastor proceeded to call the restaurant and complain to the manager that her reputation had been destroyed and she had brought "embarrassment to her church". The victim, the waitress, was fired.

This is absolutely horrifying. The pastor claims that she did not want the note to be seen by anybody, so why did she write the comment on a receipt? On top of this, if she is so embarrassed about being an immoral thief, why has she not apologized and given the money that she owes to the waitress? She should be in jail, not enjoying herself and getting waitresses fired after she steals from them.
Since when was tipping mandatory? Were they told about this policy before they sat down?
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 5:51:22 AM
At 2/1/2013 5:26:38 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

Since when was tipping mandatory?
Tipping is mandatory because it is part of the income of the worker, and even if you argue that it is not specifically mandatory, in this case it was because she was part of a large party, in which an 18% tip is automatically applied.
Were they told about this policy before they sat down?
I have no idea.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 6:41:15 AM
She should be in jail

No she shouldn't. LOL. I am a waiter and have had this happen to me before. It is not a crime whatsoever.

But I agree, the lady is a scumbag. I don't know how you can accept people's money at the alter, then fail to pay something. Even less than 18% would have been better.
kfc
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 7:01:13 AM

Heretic.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 7:23:38 AM
According to most State Laws, restaurant workers are legally allowed to be paid less than minimum wage. I know a waiter in an Italian restaurant in South Dakota that makes 3.50 USD an hour.

This "Pastorette" needs to go back to Seminary. (If she ever went in the 1st place.)
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 7:26:37 AM

Did you see this on Reddit by any chance?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 7:27:50 AM
At 2/1/2013 7:23:38 AM, Heineken wrote:
According to most State Laws, restaurant workers are legally allowed to be paid less than minimum wage. I know a waiter in an Italian restaurant in South Dakota that makes 3.50 USD an hour.

That's because they're expected to recuperate the difference through tips. In fact, if they do not make at least minimum wage with tips, state laws require that the restaurant make up the difference for them (although restaurants never tell people this so workers usually do not know to ask, which means restaurants are also stealing from workers).

In effect, this pastor was stealing from the waiter.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 7:29:02 AM
At 2/1/2013 7:26:37 AM, Rusty wrote:

No, it's actually on the front page of Yahoo. I don't use Reddit.

http://news.yahoo.com...
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:17:12 AM
3.50 USD an hour.

That's nice for a waiter. Ours is set at $2.13 an hour. But I make over minimum wage in tips, so I'm happy.
kfc
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:17:46 AM
At 2/1/2013 7:29:02 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I'm pretty sure most news sites get their news from reddit now haha seems like you'll see something on reddit and a few days later they'll report the story in the mainstream media.
I also doubt the waitress would have posted the receipt if there wasn't such a precedent for doing it to get a rise on reddit.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:19:24 AM
At 2/1/2013 9:17:46 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/1/2013 7:29:02 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I'm pretty sure most news sites get their news from reddit

This. I read stuff on there or 4chan only to see the rest of the world discover it a few days later.
kfc
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:20:36 AM
At 2/1/2013 9:17:12 AM, Koopin wrote:
3.50 USD an hour.

That's nice for a waiter. Ours is set at $2.13 an hour. But I make over minimum wage in tips, so I'm happy.

What do you average with tips? I've never been a waiter but a friend of mine makes something like 25 an hour on a good night.

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:24:17 AM
At 2/1/2013 9:20:36 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/1/2013 9:17:12 AM, Koopin wrote:
3.50 USD an hour.

What do you average with tips? I've never been a waiter but a friend of mine makes something like 25 an hour on a good night.

I work at Ihop at night. Not as busy as during the morning, but I get an average of about $6 a tip. Two tables an hour is pretty nice when minimum wage here is $7.50. I usually leave with $80+ on the weekends.
kfc
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:24:20 AM
Here's tomorrows news early, from reddit:
Applebees hypocrisy. A receipt with a signature that THEY posted online!
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net...

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:39:08 AM

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:44:07 AM
At 2/1/2013 9:39:08 AM, lewis20 wrote:

The problem is that without tipping you would have to pay it through higher food costs anyway.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:47:46 AM
At 2/1/2013 9:44:07 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 2/1/2013 9:39:08 AM, lewis20 wrote:

The problem is that without tipping you would have to pay it through higher food costs anyway.

I'm a nice tipper, but I'd rather pay the higher cost.
kfc
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:51:24 AM

Since when was tipping mandatory? Were they told about this policy before they sat down?

Most restaurants include automatic gratuity for large parties, and yes, it's usually stated in the menu. It's not like the "Tip" line was blank and the customer put in 0, the mandatory tip was already filled in and the customer crossed it out.

It'd be like you not liking the price for an entree you ordered and crossing it out on the receipt and filling it out with whatever you wanted.

Fvck, if I can put whatever tip I want, I'll put in negative numbers and cancel out the cost of the meal!
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:53:12 AM

Ha not advocating not tipping, just thought it was entertaining.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:57:20 AM
At 2/1/2013 9:53:12 AM, lewis20 wrote:

I really do need to get around to watching that movie.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 10:04:58 AM
At 2/1/2013 9:57:20 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

It's a great one.

TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 8:54:15 AM
At 2/1/2013 5:51:22 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Since when was tipping mandatory?
Tipping is mandatory because it is part of the income of the worker, and even if you argue that it is not specifically mandatory, in this case it was because she was part of a large party, in which an 18% tip is automatically applied.
Were they told about this policy before they sat down?
I have no idea.

I wouldn't consider that tipping is mandatory even if I do tip whenever and wherever I can. My impression goes like this: If a waiter/waitress provide an excellent service, he/she should be rewarded, yet the amount is determined by the customers, not set by the restaurants.

In the case where a waiter or waitress asks for tip, and even if he or she does provide an excellent survive, customers would have no obligations to pay it. I consider paying tips a voluntary action taken by the responsible customers.

So does pastor have right to complain? Perhaps. But is it appropriate for the restaurant to fire the waitress? I know not.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:27:50 PM
I think tipping is an excuse for lazy restaurant owners. They don't have to evaluate and reward their employees; rather, they shift that burden onto the consumers. Must be nice.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:31:02 PM
-_-

Ok, now Royal, you go get someone thrown in jail for not tipping, and I'll find you someone that didn't break a law. K?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:31:40 PM
At 2/1/2013 9:57:20 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Yes, you do.

Bring a hanky, if you get attached to characters easily.
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:32:15 PM

If a public figure doesn't want to be called out on being an asswhole, then that public figure should refrain from being an asswhole.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:32:16 PM
And the moral of this story is don't post online whenever someone pisses you off. Just suck it up an move on.

Like the rest of the world.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:33:44 PM
My opinion is that people view tipping backwards. It isn't an act of kindness to tip, it's a special consideration from the restaurant to allow diners to decide what their service was worth.

If you don't want to pay for service, then order in or make the food yourself.
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:34:20 PM
At 2/6/2013 9:32:16 PM, OberHerr wrote:
And the moral of this story is don't post online whenever someone pisses you off. Just suck it up an move on.

Like the rest of the world.

Booooo.

Applebee's is super wack for that. The rest of the waiters should boycott.