Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

No More Saturday Mail

Orpheus
Posts: 60
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:03:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Won't this back mail up? No mail on Sunday already offsets mailing schedules and messes with efficient logistics. Won't another day like that just further back up the snail mail process?
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:11:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.

I just went to the post office earlier :(
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:14:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 6:11:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.

I just went to the post office earlier :(

Yeah, i was there mailing off some stuff a couple days ago, guess we're just the last of a dying breed according to me. lewis... >_>
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:14:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
*Mr.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:19:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 6:14:10 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:11:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.

I just went to the post office earlier :(

Yeah, i was there mailing off some stuff a couple days ago, guess we're just the last of a dying breed according to me. lewis... >_>

Yessir, you senior citizens better make way for bigger and better things.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Orpheus
Posts: 60
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:25:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.

That's the plan I presume. It won't get it into the black though so they're still hemorrhaging money...

The Post Office is in the Constitution though so I don't know how much they can really cut it.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 7:13:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 6:19:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:14:10 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:11:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.

I just went to the post office earlier :(

Yeah, i was there mailing off some stuff a couple days ago, guess we're just the last of a dying breed according to me. lewis... >_>

Yessir, you senior citizens better make way for bigger and better things.

Like what? Teleporting items that can't be emailed?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 7:15:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 7:13:10 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:19:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:14:10 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:11:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.

I just went to the post office earlier :(

Yeah, i was there mailing off some stuff a couple days ago, guess we're just the last of a dying breed according to me. lewis... >_>

Yessir, you senior citizens better make way for bigger and better things.

Like what? Teleporting items that can't be emailed?

That's why we have trashcans and shopping malls. (just kidding)
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 7:23:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 7:15:40 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 2/6/2013 7:13:10 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:19:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:14:10 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:11:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.

I just went to the post office earlier :(

Yeah, i was there mailing off some stuff a couple days ago, guess we're just the last of a dying breed according to me. lewis... >_>

Yessir, you senior citizens better make way for bigger and better things.

Like what? Teleporting items that can't be emailed?

That's why we have trashcans and shopping malls. (just kidding)

Nietzsche of environmentalism. ;)
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 7:38:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 7:13:10 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:19:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:14:10 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:11:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.

I just went to the post office earlier :(

Yeah, i was there mailing off some stuff a couple days ago, guess we're just the last of a dying breed according to me. lewis... >_>

Yessir, you senior citizens better make way for bigger and better things.

Like what? Teleporting items that can't be emailed?

Fedex?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:07:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 7:38:55 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/6/2013 7:13:10 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:19:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:14:10 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:11:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.

I just went to the post office earlier :(

Yeah, i was there mailing off some stuff a couple days ago, guess we're just the last of a dying breed according to me. lewis... >_>

Yessir, you senior citizens better make way for bigger and better things.

Like what? Teleporting items that can't be emailed?

Fedex?

haha how is that bigger and better?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:26:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 9:07:00 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 7:38:55 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/6/2013 7:13:10 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:19:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:14:10 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:11:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.

I just went to the post office earlier :(

Yeah, i was there mailing off some stuff a couple days ago, guess we're just the last of a dying breed according to me. lewis... >_>

Yessir, you senior citizens better make way for bigger and better things.

Like what? Teleporting items that can't be emailed?

Fedex?

haha how is that bigger and better?

1) More efficient 2) faster/better overall service 3) technically cheaper, though you have to pay for the post office anyways 4) sexier colors

I prefer UPS myself. Dayum are they fast.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 4:44:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
If the post office is inept and cannot break even, it needs to be cut. UPs and FedEx could easily do what the post office does.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Orpheus
Posts: 60
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 10:54:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 9:28:14 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
I wonder what Amazon has to say about this.

They said packages will still be delivered on Saturday.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 10:57:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 6:03:02 PM, Orpheus wrote:
Won't this back mail up? No mail on Sunday already offsets mailing schedules and messes with efficient logistics. Won't another day like that just further back up the snail mail process?

Doesn't matter. If people want the post office to survive they should actually use it.

Vote with your wallet.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Orpheus
Posts: 60
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 11:08:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/7/2013 10:57:38 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:03:02 PM, Orpheus wrote:
Won't this back mail up? No mail on Sunday already offsets mailing schedules and messes with efficient logistics. Won't another day like that just further back up the snail mail process?

Doesn't matter. If people want the post office to survive they should actually use it.

Vote with your wallet.

Good point. But I think the USPS is a service many Americans take for granted.
sadolite
Posts: 8,834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 5:00:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
They should shut the whole thing down and let fedex and UPS and any other delivery service deliver to mail boxes. The US mail system is mired in nothing but absorbanent union BS that makes it unprofitable to operate. It is 5 billion in the hole every year. That 5 billion represents nothing but benefits and pensions all at tax payers expense and never authorised by the tax payer. The benefit tree has been cut down, they no longer grow on trees. Screw the US posal waste service.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 6:29:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/7/2013 11:08:58 AM, Orpheus wrote:
At 2/7/2013 10:57:38 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 2/6/2013 6:03:02 PM, Orpheus wrote:
Won't this back mail up? No mail on Sunday already offsets mailing schedules and messes with efficient logistics. Won't another day like that just further back up the snail mail process?

Doesn't matter. If people want the post office to survive they should actually use it.

Vote with your wallet.

Good point. But I think the USPS is a service many Americans take for granted.

I don't think we take it for granted anymore than any other service we pay for.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 1:38:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 6:10:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I assume it's to save the post office money right?
Nobody uses the mail anymore anyway.

ebay? amazon.com? service has shifted, not disappeard.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 1:39:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/6/2013 9:28:14 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:
I wonder what Amazon has to say about this.

oops...you made this exact point. my bad.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 3:58:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/7/2013 5:00:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
They should shut the whole thing down and let fedex and UPS and any other delivery service deliver to mail boxes. The US mail system is mired in nothing but absorbanent union BS that makes it unprofitable to operate. It is 5 billion in the hole every year. That 5 billion represents nothing but benefits and pensions all at tax payers expense and never authorised by the tax payer. The benefit tree has been cut down, they no longer grow on trees. Screw the US posal waste service.

It's in the Constitution, we have to have a national mail system run by the government. Unless you make an amendment banishing the USPS its here to stay.

What it'll turn into is another thing altogether because I really don't know.
slo1
Posts: 4,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 7:55:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/11/2013 3:58:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/7/2013 5:00:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
They should shut the whole thing down and let fedex and UPS and any other delivery service deliver to mail boxes. The US mail system is mired in nothing but absorbanent union BS that makes it unprofitable to operate. It is 5 billion in the hole every year. That 5 billion represents nothing but benefits and pensions all at tax payers expense and never authorised by the tax payer. The benefit tree has been cut down, they no longer grow on trees. Screw the US posal waste service.

It's in the Constitution, we have to have a national mail system run by the government. Unless you make an amendment banishing the USPS its here to stay.

What it'll turn into is another thing altogether because I really don't know.

"To establish Post Offices and post Roads;"

Nothing says that need to maintain a Post Office or Post Roads. Notice that the provision about the navy explicitly says to "provide and maintain".

With that said the post office should be moved to one day a week delivery. The operation may be 5 days a week, but service to any one geographical area should be limited to once a week. This should only be maintained until free public internet connectivity could be provided universally to wholly eliminate mail service.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 4:44:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/11/2013 7:55:18 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 2/11/2013 3:58:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/7/2013 5:00:23 PM, sadolite wrote:
They should shut the whole thing down and let fedex and UPS and any other delivery service deliver to mail boxes. The US mail system is mired in nothing but absorbanent union BS that makes it unprofitable to operate. It is 5 billion in the hole every year. That 5 billion represents nothing but benefits and pensions all at tax payers expense and never authorised by the tax payer. The benefit tree has been cut down, they no longer grow on trees. Screw the US posal waste service.

It's in the Constitution, we have to have a national mail system run by the government. Unless you make an amendment banishing the USPS its here to stay.

What it'll turn into is another thing altogether because I really don't know.

"To establish Post Offices and post Roads;"

Nothing says that need to maintain a Post Office or Post Roads. Notice that the provision about the navy explicitly says to "provide and maintain".

With that said the post office should be moved to one day a week delivery. The operation may be 5 days a week, but service to any one geographical area should be limited to once a week. This should only be maintained until free public internet connectivity could be provided universally to wholly eliminate mail service.

Hmmm you actually have a point there.

The post roads and offices have been established technically. That means it can all be turned over to private industry. Good catch.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 10:01:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
USPS has the #1 satisfaction rate of all US mail delivery organizations.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 10:07:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Post Office's financial situation has been complicated by the Congress's requirement in 2006 that they fund their pension at levels far higher than any private corporation is required to. They imposed that ridiculous burden (with the intent that it would make people blame "unions" and "pensions" for problems that were expressly created to make the pension a burden) during a time when the Post Office could ill afford it; e-mail was reaching its ascendancy (or, perhaps, had reached it already).

"In 2006, Congress passed a law requiring the Postal Service to wholly pre-fund its retirement health package " that is, cover the health care costs of future retirees, in advance, at 100%. The Postal Service, which is a corporation owned but not funded by the federal government, is the only government-related agency required to prefund retirees' health benefits.

"No one prefunds at more than 30%," said Anthony Vegliante, the service's executive vice president.

Sally Davidow, spokeswoman for one of the unions that represents postal workers, calls it a "a ridiculous requirement."

"(The requirement is) so ridiculous, Congress doesn't do it. No other government agency does it. No private businesses do it," she said. "It's $5.5 billion a year, every year, for 10 years. That's what is causing the problem."

"The law was passed in 2006 and lo and behold, ever since 2007, the Postal Service has been suffering a tremendous debt."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
The_Master_Riddler
Posts: 24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 10:25:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Next thing you know, people will be charged for e-mails and then, may God forbid, but members of social networking websites will charge people per month for site usage.
Stay Alive, Solve Riddles
The_Master_Riddler
P.S. Can I have your autograph?
slo1
Posts: 4,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 2:09:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 10:01:23 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
USPS has the #1 satisfaction rate of all US mail delivery organizations.

Whaaaaaaaaaat? You can't be admitting that the government can do something better than private industry.....are you?