Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

On The Pope: The Plot Thickens

1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2013 12:20:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/17/2013 11:08:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
http://www.addictinginfo.org...

This just became entertaining.

What credibility does this site have?
Why are they the only ones reporting this?
This is not the kind of thing that news sources ignore.
I highly doubt the veracity of this story.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2013 9:29:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/18/2013 9:10:15 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
He is the closest that I can find and it is still significantly different.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Reuters is a credible news source.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 8:40:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, just how fvcked is the catholic church if the pope is convicted of child molestation? I mean, that's got to have some pretty big repercussions right?
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 10:08:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 8:40:35 AM, Kinesis wrote:
So, just how fvcked is the catholic church if the pope is convicted of child molestation? I mean, that's got to have some pretty big repercussions right?

It would help to deter their child-torture efforts. However, I don't see it doing much to topple the organisation as a political or religious force. It's not like this would be the first time that catholics would have to defend against (and live with) their institution's crimes against humanity.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 4:19:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If the Catholic church collpased, I think it would be the most significant and socially benificial event in modern history.

If the Vatican's assets were sold off, it would feed the world. Simple as that.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 7:09:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 4:19:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:

If the Vatican's assets were sold off, it would feed the world. Simple as that.

I don't know, the Church has perhaps already sold substantial assets to pay judgments against, or buy the silence of victims of, clerical child molestors, thus considerably depleting its wealth. Mm-hmm, its pedo priest problem has resulted in a major hit to the Church's coffers and it may indeed no longer be the richer-than-God institution that many assume it to be.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 10:59:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 4:19:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
If the Catholic church collpased, I think it would be the most significant and socially benificial event in modern history.

If the Vatican's assets were sold off, it would feed the world. Simple as that.

Why is it going to be the most "socially beneficial event?" Child molestation is indeed despicable and detestable, but it appears to me that the church has done a lot of good things as well.
YYW
Posts: 36,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:21:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/17/2013 11:08:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
http://www.addictinginfo.org...

This just became entertaining.

From John Paul II to a possible pedophile. Damn, those old bishops sure can pick 'em.

I obviously don't know if he's guilty or not, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Personally, I see no reason why the pope should receive immunity either (and I think it's an affront to Christendom that Ratzinger is trying to circumvent accountability).
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:23:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 4:19:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
If the Catholic church collpased, I think it would be the most significant and socially benificial event in modern history.

If the Vatican's assets were sold off, it would feed the world. Simple as that.

I don't think this would collapse the Catholic church -if anything would have accomplished that task, it would have been the Reformation- but the legitimacy of established religion is undercut by the vile wretchedness of men (though that's nothing new).
Tsar of DDO
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 12:05:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I find it rather Ironic & disturbing that people who consider themselves skeptics, who reject the possibility of god existence, & dismiss all other conspiracy theories, suddenly become devote believers when the theory involves the defamation of the church, or anything that may reflect negatively on religion.
( I don't necessarily mean people in this thread).

This just goes to show how dependent our beliefs, convictions, opinions, thoughts , & ideas, & even skepticism, are on our desires. Humans have tendency to believe what they want to believe. & this shows the need for deep introspection.

I'd like to coin a new term for these fake skeptics & their practice;
Selective skeptics:
1) People who practice selective skepticism.
2) Hypocrites who preach skepticism with regard certain matters, but not all.

(Disclaimer: These statements are not directed toward any specific individual(s) on DDO.)
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 12:07:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/20/2013 12:05:53 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
I find it rather Ironic & disturbing that people who consider themselves skeptics, who reject the possibility of gods existence, & dismiss all other conspiracy theories, suddenly become devote believers when the theory involves the defamation of the church, or anything that may reflect negatively on religion.
( I don't necessarily mean people in this thread).

This just goes to show how dependent our beliefs, convictions, opinions, thoughts , & ideas, & even skepticism, are on our desires. Humans have tendency to believe what they want to believe. & this shows the need for deep introspection.

I'd like to coin a new term for these fake skeptics & their practice;
Selective skeptics:
1) People who practice selective skepticism.
2) Hypocrites who preach skepticism with regard certain matters, but not all.

(Disclaimer: These statements are not directed toward any specific individual(s) on DDO.)

fix'd
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:39:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/20/2013 3:21:05 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/17/2013 11:08:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
http://www.addictinginfo.org...

This just became entertaining.

From John Paul II to a possible pedophile. Damn, those old bishops sure can pick 'em.

I obviously don't know if he's guilty or not, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Personally, I see no reason why the pope should receive immunity either (and I think it's an affront to Christendom that Ratzinger is trying to circumvent accountability).

Your Goddamn right it is.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 2:36:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/17/2013 11:08:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
http://www.addictinginfo.org...

This just became entertaining.

Oh. My. God. Becky...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:36:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/20/2013 12:07:16 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 2/20/2013 12:05:53 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
I find it rather Ironic & disturbing that people who consider themselves skeptics, who reject the possibility of gods existence, & dismiss all other conspiracy theories, suddenly become devote believers when the theory involves the defamation of the church, or anything that may reflect negatively on religion.
( I don't necessarily mean people in this thread).

This just goes to show how dependent our beliefs, convictions, opinions, thoughts , & ideas, & even skepticism, are on our desires. Humans have tendency to believe what they want to believe. & this shows the need for deep introspection.

I'd like to coin a new term for these fake skeptics & their practice;
Selective skeptics:
1) People who practice selective skepticism.
2) Hypocrites who preach skepticism with regard certain matters, but not all.

(Disclaimer: These statements are not directed toward any specific individual(s) on DDO.)

fix'd

The sex crimes of the Catholic church aren't speculative.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 11:59:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/21/2013 7:36:12 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 2/20/2013 12:07:16 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 2/20/2013 12:05:53 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
I find it rather Ironic & disturbing that people who consider themselves skeptics, who reject the possibility of gods existence, & dismiss all other conspiracy theories, suddenly become devote believers when the theory involves the defamation of the church, or anything that may reflect negatively on religion.
( I don't necessarily mean people in this thread).

This just goes to show how dependent our beliefs, convictions, opinions, thoughts , & ideas, & even skepticism, are on our desires. Humans have tendency to believe what they want to believe. & this shows the need for deep introspection.

I'd like to coin a new term for these fake skeptics & their practice;
Selective skeptics:
1) People who practice selective skepticism.
2) Hypocrites who preach skepticism with regard certain matters, but not all.

(Disclaimer: These statements are not directed toward any specific individual(s) on DDO.)

fix'd

The sex crimes of the Catholic church aren't speculative.

Of course your willing to just jump on the "Popes a molester" bandwagon with no proof whatsoever...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 1:14:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/21/2013 11:59:23 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/21/2013 7:36:12 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 2/20/2013 12:07:16 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
At 2/20/2013 12:05:53 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
I find it rather Ironic & disturbing that people who consider themselves skeptics, who reject the possibility of gods existence, & dismiss all other conspiracy theories, suddenly become devote believers when the theory involves the defamation of the church, or anything that may reflect negatively on religion.
( I don't necessarily mean people in this thread).

This just goes to show how dependent our beliefs, convictions, opinions, thoughts , & ideas, & even skepticism, are on our desires. Humans have tendency to believe what they want to believe. & this shows the need for deep introspection.

I'd like to coin a new term for these fake skeptics & their practice;
Selective skeptics:
1) People who practice selective skepticism.
2) Hypocrites who preach skepticism with regard certain matters, but not all.

(Disclaimer: These statements are not directed toward any specific individual(s) on DDO.)

fix'd

The sex crimes of the Catholic church aren't speculative.

Of course your willing to just jump on the "Popes a molester" bandwagon with no proof whatsoever...

Why wouldn't I be? Like many Catholic church officials, there is evidence that he participated in the cover up of child rapes. I don't know if he was a child molester himself, though.

I would like to see him tried. Obviously, there would be tremendous benefit in knowing whether or not he was guilty of any crimes.

The relucance that the church has shown in coming forward and providing information about their priests is very disturbing - and that behaviour goes to the top.

One should expect Catholics, above all others, to want to learn about what this organization has done to their children - yet that concern is left to the irreligious like me, for some reason. Why is that?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 1:53:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/17/2013 11:08:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
http://www.addictinginfo.org...

This just became entertaining.

Ah man...really? He was a really good religious scholar and because of his heritage, a great pope to begin (continue...whatever) the healing process with Jews (which he was doing...because he had no choice, but who cares?).

This sucks. Someone (the pope?) needs to set up a yearly Rumspringa for priests and nuns or something...it can be secret...what happens in Venice stays in Venice.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 11:43:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Maybe the catholic church will *finally* let priests get married or something. I dont see why its surprising to take a sexual animal (humans) and encourage them to repress their sexual urges, and have their urges come out in ways most perverted and debauched.

That said I obviously dont think the pope did anything like this, but we'll see
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:01:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Point 1) JJ Abrams is directing the new Star Wars movie

Point 2) He will need a new evil Emperor for the movie

Point 3) The Pope bears a striking resemblance to Darth Sidious

Point 4) The Pope recently retired

Conclusion: The Pope retired to be the evil emperor in the new Star Wars movies.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 12:05:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/21/2013 1:14:49 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 2/21/2013 11:59:23 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Of course your willing to just jump on the "Popes a molester" bandwagon with no proof whatsoever...

Why wouldn't I be?...

Something tells me that came out wrong.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...