Jump to topic:

Israeli Officer Makes Light of Killing Child

tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 5:16:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
He didn't kill him, so whats the big deal? We don't even know if the gun was loaded at the time.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:13:04 PM
At 2/21/2013 5:16:28 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
He didn't kill him, so whats the big deal? We don't even know if the gun was loaded at the time.

He made light of killing him. He pointed his weapon at a child and took a picture. That's what the big deal is. Would you advocate jailing someone who "jokes" about blowing up a US airport? He didn't actually do it, so what's the big deal?
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:21:53 PM
At 2/21/2013 7:13:04 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

He made light of killing him. He pointed his weapon at a child and took a picture. That's what the big deal is. Would you advocate jailing someone who "jokes" about blowing up a US airport? He didn't actually do it, so what's the big deal?

If he didn't blow it up, there is no reason to jail them. Also, it is just a picture, the sniper did not kill the kid.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:31:52 PM
At 2/21/2013 7:21:53 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

If he didn't blow it up, there is no reason to jail them
So nobody should be jailed for making threats?
. Also, it is just a picture, the sniper did not kill the kid.
It doesn't matter. It was unprofessional, dangerous, and dehumanizing.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:35:04 PM
Boo hoo. Israeli people don't like Palestinians. Palestinians don't like Israeli people. It's hardly ground breaking news.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:47:21 PM
At 2/21/2013 7:31:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Threats should not be jail-able offenses. And can you prove it was a loaded gun, or that it wasn't an air soft gun with a scope?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:52:15 PM
Tsar of DDO
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 9:57:18 PM
At 2/21/2013 7:47:21 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

Threats should not be jail-able offenses.
Why?
And can you prove it was a loaded gun, or that it wasn't an air soft gun with a scope?

The Israeli Army admitted it was a real gun, and it doesn't matter whether or not it was loaded. It wouldn't have even mattered ifit was an air soft gun; a threat to harm is a threat to harm.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 9:57:43 PM
At 2/21/2013 7:52:15 PM, YYW wrote:

Is that only for Israelis, or if a Palestinian threatened an Israeli child, would you be ok with it?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 10:04:31 PM
If I pulled out a gun and put it to your head, should I not be punished?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 11:21:42 PM

No one made any threats, no one one in danger, no one was scared or terrorized
& that's news?

What about hundreds / thousands of men women & children actually dying daily from things like war to hunger to disease etc.? But no we have to focus on some lone Israeli solider putting up a picture. Or how about the real human rights violations going on in the area.

This is really just stupid anti-Israel propaganda. & I could show you much worse on the Palestinian side.
I think the fact that it was reported shows how rare it is, as opposed to other areas in the region that it's so common place, that it isn't even mentioned.

Lets focus on the real problems in the world like people actually dying 1st, before worrying about some solider posting pictures.

& if you're going to focus on these things, at least do it equally.

Why was this seen shown in this youtube video not in the news?

In my opinion this onesided misdirected focus is really weird, wrong, & rather telling.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 11:26:04 PM
At 2/21/2013 11:21:42 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

& that's news?

What about hundreds / thousands of men women & children actually dying daily from things like war to hunger to disease etc.? But no we have to focus on some lone Israeli solider putting up a picture. Or how about the real human rights violations going on in the area.

This is really just stupid anti-Israel propaganda. & I could show you much worse on the Palestinian side.
I think the fact that it was reported shows how rare it is, as opposed to other areas in the region that it's so common place, that it isn't even mentioned.

Lets focus on the real problems in the world like people actually dying 1st, before worrying about some solider posting pictures.

In my opinion this onesided misdirected focus is really weird, wrong, & rather telling.

I can post whatever I like. I doubt that all of your posts are about stopping genocide and ending world hunger, so you have no basis for criticizing me. Yes, the child was in danger. A hooligan pointed a gun at him. What would have happened if it had "accidentally" gone off? Most gun deaths are accidents.

I can be as one-sided as I like. I have been pretty clear about my views on this topic for months.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 11:36:52 PM
At 2/21/2013 11:26:04 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

& that's news?

I can post whatever I like. I doubt that all of your posts are about stopping genocide and ending world hunger, so you have no basis for criticizing me. Yes, the child was in danger. A hooligan pointed a gun at him. What would have happened if it had "accidentally" gone off? Most gun deaths are accidents.

I can be as one-sided as I like. I have been pretty clear about my views on this topic for months.

Non-sequitur.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 4:35:58 AM
At 2/21/2013 10:04:31 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Remember the Israeli was 400+ meters away.

tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 4:37:02 AM
At 2/21/2013 9:57:18 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 2/21/2013 7:47:21 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

Threats should not be jail-able offenses.
Why?
And can you prove it was a loaded gun, or that it wasn't an air soft gun with a scope?

The Israeli Army admitted it was a real gun, and it doesn't matter whether or not it was loaded. It wouldn't have even mattered ifit was an air soft gun; a threat to harm is a threat to harm.

Source? And by the way, when was the last time an unloaded gun killed someone?

tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 4:38:03 AM
At 2/21/2013 11:26:04 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

& that's news?

An unloaded gun cannot go off, so the child may not have been in danger.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 4:41:26 AM
At 2/22/2013 4:35:58 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

Oh, so it's OK as long as you're not right next to me. It's good to know that I can point a sniper rifle at you and you would be fine.

Who cares if it was unloaded or not?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 4:56:02 AM
At 2/22/2013 4:41:26 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Oh, so it's OK as long as you're not right next to me. It's good to know that I can point a sniper rifle at you and you would be fine.

An unloaded gun cant kill or accidentally go off.

1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 10:29:40 AM

If the person never knows about it, what's the big deal?
No one made any threats, no one felt threatened, no one was in any in danger, no one was scared or terrorized. It was distasteful, not criminal.
"Albert Einstein

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 5:14:28 PM

Spoken like a staunch conservative supporter of Israel.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 9:20:16 AM
1. IDF accepted that the action was reprehensible.
2. There was a disciplinary action already taken.
3. Israel doesn't have a law dealing with pointing a gun at someone, so there's no possibility of a punitive action.

The thing is, HAD the soldier been caught while pointing the gun, it would have been a big deal, because we would have not been about his intention. Now we know that he didn't intend to kill him, and was having some tasteless fun, th severity reduces. It raised such a stink just because the boy was Palestinian and the soldier was Israeli, and people are passionate about the issue, try to take the smallest issue as an EVIDENCE of national intentions.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 12:36:20 PM
At 2/26/2013 9:20:16 AM, Cermank wrote:
3. Israel doesn't have a law dealing with pointing a gun at someone, so there's no possibility of a punitive action.

The thing is, HAD the soldier been caught while pointing the gun, it would have been a big deal, because we would have not been about his intention. Now we know that he didn't intend to kill him, and was having some tasteless fun, th severity reduces. It raised such a stink just because the boy was Palestinian and the soldier was Israeli, and people are passionate about the issue, try to take the smallest issue as an EVIDENCE of national intentions.

I'm afraid people such as these aren't affected by facilitating distinctions between individual action and policy. They much prefer emotional appeals and generalizations, and then act surprised when rational people don't act the same way.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 1:41:13 PM

+1
"Albert Einstein

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 9:16:26 PM
At 2/26/2013 12:36:20 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I'm afraid people such as these aren't affected by facilitating distinctions between individual action and policy. They much prefer emotional appeals and generalizations, and then act surprised when rational people don't act the same way.

I wonder if you would feel the same way if people started waltzing around in your school with Nazi symbols.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 9:53:02 PM
At 2/22/2013 4:56:02 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

It's the principle behind it.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 9:54:29 PM
At 2/22/2013 10:29:40 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

No one made any threats, no one felt threatened, no one was in any in danger, no one was scared or terrorized. It was distasteful, not criminal.

It IS a threat, whether the boy knew about it or not.

Also, this is a matter of the principle behind pointing a gun at someone, not Israel VS Palestine.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 3:09:48 AM
At 2/26/2013 9:54:29 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Are we using the word "threat" in the same way?
When I say threat, I mean:
An expression of intention to inflict evil, injury, or damage
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Do you really think that some one should go to jail for merely aiming a gun at someone, from inside his house, without the person ever knowing anything.
Is there any such law anywhere that prohibits that?

Also, this is a matter of the principle behind pointing a gun at someone, not Israel VS Palestine.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I never implied that this has anything to do with the Israeli - Palestinian conflict.
"Albert Einstein

tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 4:41:28 AM
At 2/26/2013 9:53:02 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 2/22/2013 4:56:02 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

It's the principle behind it.

No its not, an unloaded gun from a quarter mile away has less killing power that a rusty fork

tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 4:42:47 AM
At 2/26/2013 9:54:29 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Why is it a threat?
Why is it a matter of principle, you are simply making an unsubstantiated emotional/moral argument.