Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Racist News Reporting

Lizard
Posts: 53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 1:55:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
That's what happens when you have a news station more concerned with getting a lot of viewers than telling the truth. I guess a shooting wasn't interesting enough, they have to make us afraid of 4 years olds now too!
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 8:14:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
This sort of thing appeals to the lowest prejudices which people have either neglected or failed to eliminate from themselves. It only works because so many people are sloppy in their thinking:

"The truth seems to be that propaganda on its own cannot force its way into unwilling minds; neither can it inculcate something wholly new; nor can it keep people persuaded once they have ceased to believe. It penetrates only into minds already open, and rather than instill opinion it articulates and justifies opinions already present in the minds of its recipients. The gifted propagandist brings to a boil ideas and passions already simmering in the minds of his hearers. he echoes their innermost feelings. Where opinion is not coerced, people can be made to believe only in what they already "know.""
- Eric Hoffer -
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 8:33:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/9/2013 8:14:39 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
This sort of thing appeals to the lowest prejudices which people have either neglected or failed to eliminate from themselves. It only works because so many people are sloppy in their thinking:

"The truth seems to be that propaganda on its own cannot force its way into unwilling minds; neither can it inculcate something wholly new; nor can it keep people persuaded once they have ceased to believe. It penetrates only into minds already open, and rather than instill opinion it articulates and justifies opinions already present in the minds of its recipients. The gifted propagandist brings to a boil ideas and passions already simmering in the minds of his hearers. he echoes their innermost feelings. Where opinion is not coerced, people can be made to believe only in what they already "know.""
- Eric Hoffer -

I really like that quote.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 5:49:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
My jaw dropped when I watched that. Absolutely disgusting.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 5:55:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/9/2013 8:33:50 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 3/9/2013 8:14:39 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
This sort of thing appeals to the lowest prejudices which people have either neglected or failed to eliminate from themselves. It only works because so many people are sloppy in their thinking:

"The truth seems to be that propaganda on its own cannot force its way into unwilling minds; neither can it inculcate something wholly new; nor can it keep people persuaded once they have ceased to believe. It penetrates only into minds already open, and rather than instill opinion it articulates and justifies opinions already present in the minds of its recipients. The gifted propagandist brings to a boil ideas and passions already simmering in the minds of his hearers. he echoes their innermost feelings. Where opinion is not coerced, people can be made to believe only in what they already "know.""
- Eric Hoffer -

I really like that quote.

http://en.wikiquote.org...

Have fun!
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 6:29:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/9/2013 5:55:43 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/9/2013 8:33:50 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 3/9/2013 8:14:39 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
This sort of thing appeals to the lowest prejudices which people have either neglected or failed to eliminate from themselves. It only works because so many people are sloppy in their thinking:

"The truth seems to be that propaganda on its own cannot force its way into unwilling minds; neither can it inculcate something wholly new; nor can it keep people persuaded once they have ceased to believe. It penetrates only into minds already open, and rather than instill opinion it articulates and justifies opinions already present in the minds of its recipients. The gifted propagandist brings to a boil ideas and passions already simmering in the minds of his hearers. he echoes their innermost feelings. Where opinion is not coerced, people can be made to believe only in what they already "know.""
- Eric Hoffer -

I really like that quote.

http://en.wikiquote.org...

Have fun!

"Where freedom is real, equality is the passion of the masses. Where equality is real, freedom is the passion of a small minority."

He has some amazing quotes. Surprised I've never heard of him before. Have you read The True Believer ?
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 4:27:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't see what is so racist or anything about this.

When the kid said he was going to get him a gun, I took it to mean protection, since the question before it was asking if he was scared. The fact that the news cut out the policeman reason is hardly racist or fear-mongering.

Whether the kid was going to clean up the streets as a policeman or a vigilante, or simply wanted to protect himself, the context is close enough where the edit is not improper.

I don't even know what would be appalling about his comment with the edit.
My work here is, finally, done.