Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

Should MEADS have been approved?

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2013 2:02:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago

The above article is the source I am referring to although what interested me in this was I happened to watch the senate session on CSPAN2 where Sen. Ayotte (R-NH) made a huge speech about how it is a "missile to nowhere" and the $380 million that it costs are being wasted on a project that the defense would never use. I tend to agree (one of those rare occasions where I agree with the Republicans) with some of the points brought up. Considering the army apparently said that it would never procure it, I really don't see the point.

On the other hand, the main opposition seems to be that MEADS provides a lot of jobs and not funding them would cause the people working in it to lose their jobs. So, we have taxpayers money funding something useless to pay back to the taxpayers as income. Not a terrible idea since jobs are important but why not channel the money towards something useful?

Another point brought up was that US had agreements with Italy and Germany to make good on the program. Blocking the amendment made no sense.

Link to relevant session: