Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

New York Post Ruins Teen's Life

royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 5:14:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Teen stunned at portrayal as Mass. bombing suspect
Associated Press - 6 hrs ago

REVERE, Mass. (AP) " A teenager said he is scared to go outside after he was portrayed on the Internet and on the front page of the New York Post as connected to the deadly Boston Marathon bombings.

Photos of Salah Eddin Barhoum, 17, and friend Yassine Zaime were posted on websites whose users have been scouring marathon finish line photos for suspects. The two were also on the Post's front Thursday with the headline: "Bag men: Feds seek these two pictured at Boston Marathon."

The Post reported later Thursday that the pair weren't considered suspects, and the FBI has since identified two other men as suspects in Monday's bombings, which killed three people and injured more than 180.

But Barhoum, a track runner at Revere High School, said he is convinced some will blame him for the bombings, no matter what.

He said he was so fearful on Thursday that he ran back to the high school after a track meet when he saw a man in a car staring at him, talking into a phone. He said he won't feel safe until the bombers are caught.

"I'm going to be scared going to school," Barhoum said. "Workwise, my family, everything is going to be scary."

Attempts to reach Zaime were not immediately successful.

Barhoum's father, El Houssein Barhoum, who moved his family from Morocco five years ago, said he is worried his son will be shot and fears for his wife and two young daughters. He said he can't go to his job as a baker in Boston.

"Right now, we are not secure," he said. "So, the news (media), when they put something, they should be sure about the information."

In a statement, New York Post editor Col Allan said, "We stand by our story. The image was emailed to law enforcement agencies yesterday afternoon seeking information about these men, as our story reported. We did not identify them as suspects."

The photos show Barhoum with a black Nike athletic bag, wearing a blue and black track suit. Zaime is carrying a black backpack, wearing a white cap and black track clothes.

Men with bags at the marathon have been a focus of Internet scrutiny, because officials believe that's how the bombers carried in the explosives.

Barhoum said there are only two reasons he's been labeled a suspect: his bag and his brown skin.

Barhoum said he was at the marathon with Zaime, a friend from the running club, hoping to run a portion of it behind the official field. They took the subway, and Barhoum's bag was for his running gear.

But the pair got the address wrong and ended up at the finish line instead of where they wanted to start the race. Barhoum said they decided to stick around to see the top runners, then left.

Barhoum said that late Wednesday, friends started flagging the online photos and commenters started their work. He said he was so upset, he visited police early Thursday to clear his name. He said they advised him to restrict access to his Facebook account.

When the Post published the photo later Thursday, a bad situation got worse, Barhoum said.

"It hurts because the person who did it must be happy right now, looking at the people who are getting blamed," he said. "And I'm one of them."
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 6:17:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
if he has been in touch with the media to say that he is innocent means that he has been found and cleared. In that case he has nothing to fear.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 1:17:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ya should sue for libel.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 3:00:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Unfortunate incidents. But I did not find the reason to not read NY post. Besides, NY post did not explicitly suggest that these two men were suspects. So how did NY Post ruin Teen's life? Because their pictures were on the front page of the newspaper?
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 4:28:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/19/2013 3:00:56 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:
Unfortunate incidents. But I did not find the reason to not read NY post. Besides, NY post did not explicitly suggest that these two men were suspects. So how did NY Post ruin Teen's life? Because their pictures were on the front page of the newspaper?

They might not have been completely explicit, but they strongly implied it. It's terrible irresponsible journalism on the part of the post.
Like if someone ran a front page suspicious picture you in a newspaper with the caption 'is he a murderous child molester?'
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 4:58:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/19/2013 4:28:54 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/19/2013 3:00:56 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:
Unfortunate incidents. But I did not find the reason to not read NY post. Besides, NY post did not explicitly suggest that these two men were suspects. So how did NY Post ruin Teen's life? Because their pictures were on the front page of the newspaper?

They might not have been completely explicit, but they strongly implied it. It's terrible irresponsible journalism on the part of the post.
Like if someone ran a front page suspicious picture you in a newspaper with the caption 'is he a murderous child molester?'

In the world lack of sanity, I would say: Gee, I am on the front page.

I wouldn't say it is "terrible irresponsible journalism." With no doubt, NY post behaviour is reprehensible, but given the gravity of the situation, I would consider it is a grievous mistake on the part of the post. Besides, FBI was looking for any clue that may lead to the criminals during that time. So no one should be surprised to be "wanted" or "questioned" by FBI (man of interest), particularly when the a person bears certain similarity toward the criminal. Last but not least, since the true suspects have been identified, it is likely that those teens' life would be back to normal. Therefore, there is not enough reason to believe NY Post ruins Teen's life. Those teens would be just fine.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 8:25:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There are like 100x the amount of newspapers reporting that he didn't do it. If this happened to me, I'd realize that it would be a funny joke to tell people in a year's time. That's just sucky that he had to go through short-term bullsh!t from such a libelous story.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 8:27:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ya I agree it won't ruin his life in the long term, but think of how much danger he was in for a while of being killed by a vigilante.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 10:00:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/19/2013 8:27:34 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Ya I agree it won't ruin his life in the long term, but think of how much danger he was in for a while of being killed by a vigilante.

That I would agree.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 6:11:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/19/2013 5:14:22 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Ruin the NY Post. Don't buy any copies.

It wouldn't be royal if she didn't advocate fascist collective punishment.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 6:25:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/20/2013 6:11:55 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 4/19/2013 5:14:22 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Ruin the NY Post. Don't buy any copies.

It wouldn't be royal if she didn't advocate fascist collective punishment.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 6:32:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I mean seriously, is there any difference between royal's idea of punishment and a hyperactive, emotionally-stunted, aggressive five-year old's idea of revenge? I used to know kids like that when I was growing up.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:15:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/20/2013 6:32:29 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
I mean seriously, is there any difference between royal's idea of punishment and a hyperactive, emotionally-stunted, aggressive five-year old's idea of revenge? I used to know kids like that when I was growing up.

I am under the impression that Lady Royal tends to view the world in black & white only. And because of that, her views sometime are considered extreme. But more than often or not, her opinions indeed warrant a second thoughts.
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 1:34:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Jurnalism and reporting are "subjective" It is now what media wants you to think of what it reports and what it decides is worth reporting. It is no longer your decision to decide what to think about what is reported or what should be reported.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 3:33:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Officials said Saturday that the decision on Thursday to release photos of the two men in baseball caps was meant in part to limit the damage being done to people who were wrongly being targeted as suspects in the news media and on the Internet.
http://www.theblaze.com...
http://www.washingtonpost.com...
http://news.yahoo.com...
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 5:13:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/20/2013 6:11:55 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 4/19/2013 5:14:22 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Ruin the NY Post. Don't buy any copies.

It wouldn't be royal if she didn't advocate fascist collective punishment.

I don't know, seems like its the free market solution/punishment...
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
tmar19652
Posts: 727
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 6:26:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/21/2013 10:15:05 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 4/20/2013 6:32:29 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
I mean seriously, is there any difference between royal's idea of punishment and a hyperactive, emotionally-stunted, aggressive five-year old's idea of revenge? I used to know kids like that when I was growing up.

I am under the impression that Lady Royal tends to view the world in black & white only. And because of that, her views sometime are considered extreme. But more than often or not, her opinions indeed warrant a second thoughts.

I respect her opinions, but mob justice rarely gets the best results without hurting (Or killing) innocent people.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 8:07:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/21/2013 6:26:33 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 4/21/2013 10:15:05 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 4/20/2013 6:32:29 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
I mean seriously, is there any difference between royal's idea of punishment and a hyperactive, emotionally-stunted, aggressive five-year old's idea of revenge? I used to know kids like that when I was growing up.

I am under the impression that Lady Royal tends to view the world in black & white only. And because of that, her views sometime are considered extreme. But more than often or not, her opinions indeed warrant a second thoughts.

I respect her opinions, but mob justice rarely gets the best results without hurting (Or killing) innocent people.

lady royal is indeed aggressive though.
YYW
Posts: 36,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:19:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/20/2013 6:25:13 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 4/20/2013 6:11:55 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 4/19/2013 5:14:22 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Ruin the NY Post. Don't buy any copies.

It wouldn't be royal if she didn't advocate fascist collective punishment.

To be fair, the NY Post is worthless anyway. It's no more worthwhile to read than Sun or the National Enquirer. This is just one of the many awful, stupid, idiotic things they have done in the past five years or so.
Tsar of DDO
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:44:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/21/2013 5:13:17 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/20/2013 6:11:55 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 4/19/2013 5:14:22 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Ruin the NY Post. Don't buy any copies.

It wouldn't be royal if she didn't advocate fascist collective punishment.

I don't know, seems like its the free market solution/punishment...

Yeah that would definitely be the free market solution. Seems that some people are just exhibiting some irrational hatred.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 3:03:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/21/2013 10:44:46 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 4/21/2013 5:13:17 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/20/2013 6:11:55 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 4/19/2013 5:14:22 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Ruin the NY Post. Don't buy any copies.

It wouldn't be royal if she didn't advocate fascist collective punishment.

I don't know, seems like its the free market solution/punishment...

Yeah that would definitely be the free market solution. Seems that some people are just exhibiting some irrational hatred.

No, it isn't. The free market does not bankrupt companies for merely printing the wrong person on a story.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 5:36:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/21/2013 6:26:33 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 4/21/2013 10:15:05 AM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 4/20/2013 6:32:29 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
I mean seriously, is there any difference between royal's idea of punishment and a hyperactive, emotionally-stunted, aggressive five-year old's idea of revenge? I used to know kids like that when I was growing up.

I am under the impression that Lady Royal tends to view the world in black & white only. And because of that, her views sometime are considered extreme. But more than often or not, her opinions indeed warrant a second thoughts.

I respect her opinions, but mob justice rarely gets the best results without hurting (Or killing) innocent people.

This is not mob justice-this is how people are punished through the free market. The free market can punish people for any reason or no reason at all. The owner of the New York Post does not deserve our readership for any reason. I know someone people who share his community want us to enrich him, but he has posted false stories about people and ruined their lives numerous times (see Robert Jewell). Poor reporting of this type should not be rewarded. If someone of another community had done this, the same solution would be implemented, and I think all people, regardless of religion, should be treated equally.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 6:20:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 3:03:24 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 4/21/2013 10:44:46 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 4/21/2013 5:13:17 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/20/2013 6:11:55 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 4/19/2013 5:14:22 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Ruin the NY Post. Don't buy any copies.

It wouldn't be royal if she didn't advocate fascist collective punishment.

I don't know, seems like its the free market solution/punishment...

Yeah that would definitely be the free market solution. Seems that some people are just exhibiting some irrational hatred.

No, it isn't. The free market does not bankrupt companies for merely printing the wrong person on a story.

Well, the free market can bankrupt people for doing anything the consumer doesn't like.

While I disagreed with her reasons for it, its not mob tactics. Mod tactics would be threatening the NYP.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 9:43:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/22/2013 3:03:24 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 4/21/2013 10:44:46 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 4/21/2013 5:13:17 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 4/20/2013 6:11:55 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 4/19/2013 5:14:22 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Ruin the NY Post. Don't buy any copies.

It wouldn't be royal if she didn't advocate fascist collective punishment.

I don't know, seems like its the free market solution/punishment...

Yeah that would definitely be the free market solution. Seems that some people are just exhibiting some irrational hatred.

No, it isn't. The free market does not bankrupt companies for merely printing the wrong person on a story.

Isn't that for the consumer to decide, not you?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler