Europeans to steal christmas

johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2009 6:38:49 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
http://i49.tinypic.com...
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 4:21:13 PM
At 11/21/2009 6:24:42 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
If it wasn't for Mass Media and Private business seeking to capitalize on celebration, we wouldn't have many of the things we currently do to celebrate Christmas. Get your facts straight, buddy ;)

I think you made an error somewhere?
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 5:19:29 PM
At 11/21/2009 4:21:13 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 11/21/2009 6:24:42 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
If it wasn't for Mass Media and Private business seeking to capitalize on celebration, we wouldn't have many of the things we currently do to celebrate Christmas. Get your facts straight, buddy ;)

I think you made an error somewhere?

Nope, no error ;) Do some research?
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 5:33:32 PM
Compare historical Christmas to the Christmas of today. I think you'll find a much different Christmas than the German one you are referring to.

ddofans.com
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2009 6:24:54 PM
I'm more concerned about the Christians stealing Yuletide (the pagan festival that pre-dateS Christianity and was celebrated around the time of the Winter solstice at the end of December, not when Jesus was supposed to have been born sometime at the end of January).
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 11:40:51 AM
At 11/21/2009 6:24:54 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I'm more concerned about the Christians stealing Yuletide (the pagan festival that pre-dateS Christianity and was celebrated around the time of the Winter solstice at the end of December, not when Jesus was supposed to have been born sometime at the end of January).

We just stole the tree, I'm for giving the pagans back their tree and having a pole instead. I find tinsel very distracting.

ddofans.com
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 10:50:37 AM
At 11/23/2009 11:40:51 AM, johngriswald wrote:

We just stole the tree, I'm for giving the pagans back their tree and having a pole instead. I find tinsel very distracting.

Haha. Well what about the Romans celebrating Saturn (the god of agriculture) at the same time, which is where we get the custom of eating and drinking heavily? Also, mithra - the sun god - celebrated by Romans was born on 12/25. That's what distinguishes Christmas (the date) from other corporate holidays like Valentines Day and Mothers Day, so that's another thing we took from them. The Santa Clause story comes from 4th century Saint Nick etc etc.
President of DDO
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 9:22:01 PM
At 11/28/2009 10:50:37 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 11/23/2009 11:40:51 AM, johngriswald wrote:

Haha. Well what about the Romans celebrating Saturn (the god of agriculture) at the same time, which is where we get the custom of eating and drinking heavily? Also, mithra - the sun god - celebrated by Romans was born on 12/25. That's what distinguishes Christmas (the date) from other corporate holidays like Valentines Day and Mothers Day, so that's another thing we took from them. The Santa Clause story comes from 4th century Saint Nick etc etc.

The pagans originally worshipped an oak, but then some Christian cut it down, and a fir grew in its place. He then used it to represent the Trinity, and converts used the fir instead of the oak. And in Germany, they had their Christmas trees upside-down.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.