Jump to topic:

BSA Allows Openly Gay Scouts

drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 12:14:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, in an absolutely fabulous move, the BSA has decided to lift its ban on openly gay scouts. However, they have not lifted the ban on openly gay leaders, which is not as fabulous!

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
TULIP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 12:53:58 PM
At 5/25/2013 12:14:59 AM, drhead wrote:
So, in an absolutely fabulous move, the BSA has decided to lift its ban on openly gay scouts. However, they have not lifted the ban on openly gay leaders, which is not as fabulous!

I'm totally against homosexuality, but I do believe that it looks pretty foolish to only allow certain things and not the rest.. It's like this either you completely ban it or be ignorant and legalize it for everyone. Because either way someone's gonna break the law by not abiding by this new law..
"We conclude that our salvation is of The Lord. He is the One who regenerates us. Those whom He regenerates come to Christ. Without regeneration no one will ever come to Christ. With regeneration no one will ever reject Him. God's saving grace effects what He intends to effect by it. ~ R. C. Sproul
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 1:10:12 PM
At 5/25/2013 1:03:28 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
It's at least progress. The compromise is humorously petty, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to underplay their accomplishment, though. It's definitely a big step forward.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2013 10:07:34 PM
At 5/26/2013 9:56:44 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
How is coercing and bashing a private organization into changing its core values a step forward?

The BSA was not forced into any decision, so obviously they value whatever they were to gain more than whatever they were to lose. People have the right to boycott organizations which they deem unjust, and the BSA is not entitled to respect nor donations nor sponsors.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:10:57 AM
How is coercing and bashing a private organization into changing its core values a step forward?

And if those "core values" involved the exclusion of African Americans?

It's only in America where people seem to think they can do whatever they want and justify it with "it's my opinion".
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 7:31:45 AM

Because their core values were backward.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 8:07:07 AM
The boy scouts is for teaching boys to be men. It is not a place to conduct sexual social experiments. It is the beginning of the end of a once great American institution. 5/27/2013

I would not enroll my son in the boy scouts if he is going to have to be exposed to discussion about sexual proclivities. It is inappropriate and totally the wrong forum for it to be even discussed. Sexuality should be banned from discussion as it has been for the last 100 or so years. Until now, until the homosexual agenda has taken it to the lowest level possible. "Openly gay" means that the boy scouts are now going to be nothing more than a sex education indoctrination forum. The boy scouts are now going to have to explain to 8 year old boys what gay is. Membership will plummet and parents will look elsewhere for places that aren't poisoned with depravity and political correctness. A new "dues paying private organization" will form and the BSA will become just another American institution on the scrap heap of history.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 8:18:43 AM
At 5/27/2013 8:07:07 AM, sadolite wrote:
The boy scouts is for teaching boys to be men. It is not a place to conduct sexual social experiments. It is the beginning of the end of a once great American institution. 5/27/2013

I would not enroll my son in the boy scouts if he is going to have to be exposed to discussion about sexual proclivities. It is inappropriate and totally the wrong forum for it to be even discussed. Sexuality should be banned from discussion as it has been for the last 100 or so years. Until now, until the homosexual agenda has taken it to the lowest level possible. "Openly gay" means that the boy scouts are now going to be nothing more than a sex education indoctrination forum. The boy scouts are now going to have to explain to 8 year old boys what gay is. Membership will plummet and parents will look elsewhere for places that aren't poisoned with depravity and political correctness. A new "dues paying private organization" will form and the BSA will become just another American institution on the scrap heap of history.

Oh dear! Young children will know what the word "homosexual" is. The world is ending!!!
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 8:50:09 AM

The troop leaders that I've met were some of the most lascivious curs I've ever encountered, and they wouldn't exactly hold their tongues around children over the age of ten.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 8:57:04 AM

I would not enroll my son in the boy scouts if he is going to have to be exposed to discussion about sexual proclivities.

Why would they need to? You blank out the fact that homosexuality and heterosexuality are two sides of the same coin.

It is inappropriate and totally the wrong forum for it to be even discussed. Sexuality should be banned from discussion as it has been for the last 100 or so years. Until now, until the homosexual agenda has taken it to the lowest level possible. "Openly gay" means that the boy scouts are now going to be nothing more than a sex education indoctrination forum. The boy scouts are now going to have to explain to 8 year old boys what gay is. Membership will plummet and parents will look elsewhere for places that aren't poisoned with depravity and political correctness. A new "dues paying private organization" will form and the BSA will become just another American institution on the scrap heap of history.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 9:27:28 AM
I've been hearing about how The Gays are going to bring down many a fine institution or even society itself since I was born. None of it has happened and none of it will happen.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 9:29:12 AM
At 5/27/2013 9:27:28 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
I've been hearing about how The Gays are going to bring down many a fine institution or even society itself since I was born. None of it has happened and none of it will happen.

+1
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 4:49:09 PM
At 5/27/2013 7:10:57 AM, 000ike wrote:

Its their own club. It doesn't belong to you or anyone else. Choosing to allow openly gay scouts is change in values. I suppose they should allow girls to join too since its so "discriminatory".
It's only in America where people seem to think they can do whatever they want and justify it with "it's my opinion".
It's their property. They should be able to do with it what they want.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 4:55:03 PM
At 5/27/2013 4:49:09 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

I remember the Germans were very big fans of that reasoning, 70-odd years ago.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:14:10 PM
At 5/25/2013 12:14:59 AM, drhead wrote:

Oh I am sure that most parents would be thrilled to let a bunch of young boys go camping with gay men! /sarc

Really, how many parents would let their 8 - 17 year old daughters spend time alone with a heterosexual male? It should be obvious why gay leaders aren't permitted.
teddy2013
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:14:34 PM
At 5/27/2013 4:55:03 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

So it only took 19 posts before someone compared those against gays in scouting too Nazi Germany. The comparison is ridiculous. There are good practical reasons for excluding gays. It will not be long before we start reading about unwanted sexual advances by gay scouts upon straight scouts. It is unfortunate.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:18:20 PM

Actually, the Germans were confiscating private property and destroying it.

Nice try though.. Not.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:22:25 PM
At 5/27/2013 5:14:34 PM, teddy2013 wrote:

So it only took 19 posts before someone compared those against gays in scouting too Nazi Germany. The comparison is ridiculous. There are good practical reasons for excluding gays. It will not be long before we start reading about unwanted sexual advances by gay scouts upon straight scouts. It is unfortunate.

Yeah, because the gays are all out to rape boys.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:24:14 PM
At 5/27/2013 5:18:20 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

Nice try though.. Not.

Are you suggesting that the German state didn't own the German land? "Oh but that isn't 'private' property!" - save your breath, since until the quoted post there was no mention of 'property' only of the rights of ownership. Either the owner of property can do as they wish - your initial claim - or they cannot. Make your mind up.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:24:47 PM
At 5/27/2013 5:18:20 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

Nice try though.. Not.

Yes, they confiscated private property from people that they believed did not have the right to private property. But they never infringed on the rights of people to do what they wanted on private property, as long as it wasn't against the law. But, what he was talking about, is how the Germans argued that they could do whatever they wanted in their country, because it was theirs.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:25:20 PM
At 5/27/2013 5:14:34 PM, teddy2013 wrote:

If you can't understand the comparison was to do with the rights granted by ownership, then I'm afraid there's not much that can be done to help you.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 5:33:49 PM
Clearly, if people are going to go around always having sex with children according to their sexual orientation, we should ban both women ("THEY BE RAPIN DA BOYS") and men ("THEY BE RAPIN DA GIRLS") from teaching, and every other profession that deals with children.

Problem?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:28:12 PM

Its their own club. It doesn't belong to you or anyone else. Choosing to allow openly gay scouts is change in values. I suppose they should allow girls to join too since its so "discriminatory".

So what? "It's their property" isn't grounded in any logical axiom. You seem to be carrying some unjustified moral presumptions with that statement. Frankly, nobody cares that its their property - the government can make them act in more socially acceptable ways and no argument under the sun can prove that it shouldn't.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:41:21 PM

First, there are subgroups within the BSA that does allow girls to join.
Second, yes, it's their own club. And people can join or not to join as they wish. And the people said they weren't going to join if the BSA didn't change. So the BSA had a choice: Change or Die. They chose change.

And they did. They changed to accommodate their audience.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2013 6:42:58 PM

You are a nincompoop. They weren't forced.