Jump to topic:

Psychopath Kills Teen Becuase of Rejection

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 6:30:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
A man's bizarre plot to be a hero by kidnapping and then "rescuing" a teenage girl who had rebuffed his advances resulted in her death, according to an indictment charging him with murder.

Kyle Dube, 20, of Bangor, Maine, was arrested for the murder of Nichole Cable, 15, after he lured her from her home while pretending to be one of her Facebook friends promising her marijuana, the indictment states. The indictment was unsealed on Wednesday.

According to police, Dube waited in the nearby woods wearing a ski mask on May 12 as Cable walked to the end of her driveway to meet Bryan Butterfield, a friend of hers who she'd been speaking with online. Dube allegedly jumped from the bushes, duct taped Cable and threw her in his dad's pick-up truck.

When Dube removed Cable from the truck, she was dead, his brother Dustin Dube told police, the indictment claims.

"Kyle intended to kidnap Nichole and hide her " he would later find her and be the hero," Dustin Dube told police, the court document states.

VIDEO: Kidnap, Murder Suspect Wanted to Be a Hero

Kyle Dube had set up a phony Facebook profile for Butterfield, a man who Cable knew. Posing as Butterfield, Dube repeatedly requested to meet with Cable. On the night she vanished, Cable texted to a friend that she had planned to meet Butterfield.

When interviewed by police the day after Cable disappeared, the real Bryan Butterfield said that he suspected Dube, who he said wanted to have sex with Cable, but had been rebuffed by Cable.

While searching for Cable, investigators logged into her Facebook account and noticed frequent communications between her and the fake Butterfield account. Detectives made an emergency request to Facebook to produce records to identify the owner of the fake account and the IP address linked to an account that belonged to Dube's parents, according to authorities.

Facebook also provided the last four digits of the smart phone used to log into the fake Facebook account, and they matched the last four digits of Dube's phone number, the indictment states.

During an interview with police, Dube stated that he had a relationship with Cable, and had exchanged text messages with her the day she disappeared, but was at work in Bangor when she vanished. He consented to a DNA sample, which later proved to match DNA on a sock found In a wooded area where police were searching for Cable, police said. Cable's DNA was also found on the sock.

On May 20, Sarah Mesinger, Dube's girlfriend, told police that he had detailed to her where he left Cable's body in a clearing, covered with branches and that he had thrown her clothes out of the truck's window, according to court papers.

Police deployed aircraft and dogs in the search for Cable's body, while hundreds of civilian volunteers had spent days searching. Her body was found on the night of May 20.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 3:37:49 PM
I don't think you know what "psychopath" means. Killing a person doesn't make you a psychopath.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 3:41:16 PM
At 6/1/2013 3:37:49 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I don't think you know what "psychopath" means. Killing a person doesn't make you a psychopath.

I agree. I think the technical definition that should be used here is "nutjob".
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
The_Chaos_Heart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 3:51:41 PM
I'm confused as to how she died...

And, what the hell was this guy doing, trying to impress another girl, when he already had a girlfriend? What a repulsive ingrate.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 3:58:36 PM
At 6/1/2013 3:51:41 PM, The_Chaos_Heart wrote:

I think the "Kidnapped her to be the hero, but then she died!" story he's trying to sell is getting air for being more interesting than the "Kidnapped her to rape and murder her but then got cold feet on the rape" version. I'm sure more'll come out soon enough...one way or another.

And, what the hell was this guy doing, trying to impress another girl, when he already had a girlfriend? What a repulsive ingrate.

Also she was 15, don't forget. There's not just one level of repulsive here.
The_Chaos_Heart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 4:10:05 PM
At 6/1/2013 3:58:36 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I think the "Kidnapped her to be the hero, but then she died!" story he's trying to sell is getting air for being more interesting than the "Kidnapped her to rape and murder her but then got cold feet on the rape" version. I'm sure more'll come out soon enough...one way or another.

I actually see no problem with the age difference. I think in general restrictions on age are nonsense, as there is nothing inherently wrong with an old person having emotional feelings for a younger person, and vice versa. In fact, I daresay, to condemn such relationships is harmful and immoral. But that's not so relevant to the topic at hand.

In any case, the kidnapping story was his story? Oh, I thought that was what police had discovered themselves or something. Because, yeah, I'm having a real hard time buying that. "I put her in the back of a truck, and then when I looked again, she was dead!" Exactly how does someone die by just laying in the back of a truck? I'm definitely betting on something more sinister having happened.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 6:34:24 PM
At 6/1/2013 4:10:05 PM, The_Chaos_Heart wrote:
At 6/1/2013 3:58:36 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I actually see no problem with the age difference. I think in general restrictions on age are nonsense, as there is nothing inherently wrong with an old person having emotional feelings for a younger person, and vice versa.

That's true right up until we're talking about someone under the age that's considered to be fully their own person. What about if he was 20 and she was 6? I mean, there's a clear difference at that point; we probably just disagree in terms of where that line is.

In fact, I daresay, to condemn such relationships is harmful and immoral. But that's not so relevant to the topic at hand.

Well, that's a bit harsh, doncha think? I think you'd agree with my 6 year old example...so it's just a question of line.

In any case, the kidnapping story was his story? Oh, I thought that was what police had discovered themselves or something. Because, yeah, I'm having a real hard time buying that. "I put her in the back of a truck, and then when I looked again, she was dead!" Exactly how does someone die by just laying in the back of a truck? I'm definitely betting on something more sinister having happened.

Well, I agree that it's probably the more sinister answer. But presuming this guy isn't the sharpest crayon in the box, he might have duct taped her mouth with enough duct tape that he accidentally covered her nose, too.
The_Chaos_Heart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2013 6:52:34 PM
At 6/1/2013 6:34:24 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
That's true right up until we're talking about someone under the age that's considered to be fully their own person. What about if he was 20 and she was 6? I mean, there's a clear difference at that point; we probably just disagree in terms of where that line is.

Arguably, that si fine to.

It's not about the age per say, it's about one's capability to consent. Age does not inherently link to that. No, under normal circumstances, the younger you are, the less understanding you have, and therefore, lack the ability to consent. But this does not mean that it is impossible for someone younger to consent. It's entirely possible, though improbable, that a 6 year old could have the mental capacity to consent. But that would have to be one genius child.

In any case, to compare a 6 year old to a 15 year old is ridiculous; hell, even by most laws, 16 is the "age of consent", so this person was less than a year away to be legally capable of consent. And it most certainly is not the case that magically turning from 15 one day to 16 the next is what makes you consent, so I have no doubt in my mind this person was more than capable of consenting to relationship.

Well, that's a bit harsh, doncha think? I think you'd agree with my 6 year old example...so it's just a question of line.

I don't find it harsh at all. I think it is immoral to condemn harmless things, and age itself is harmless. What's harmful is a lack of capability to consent. Which as I previously mentioned, is not necessarily linked to age.

I mean, in my view, complaining about a 20 year old and a 15 year old is no different than complaining a 30 year old and a 25 year old. It's ridiculous. A 5 year difference is nothing.

Well, I agree that it's probably the more sinister answer. But presuming this guy isn't the sharpest crayon in the box, he might have duct taped her mouth with enough duct tape that he accidentally covered her nose, too.

I suppose that is possible.

Jesus...I really would rather it be something more sinister though. I mean...that's just embarrassing at that point, and even more outrageous, because then it was a completely preventable death.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 2:17:25 AM
Perhaps my initial comments weren't clear enough. Simple consent issues are not the entire reason for the general repulsiveness of a 20 year old aggressively attempting to have sex with a 15 year old.

You said:
"In fact, I daresay, to condemn such relationships is harmful and immoral."

But as a general rule, very few people who are out of high school who are aggressively pursuing freshman/sophomore high school students are anything but creepers. That is to say, the vast majority of people like that are harmful and immoral themselves.

It's a rule of thumb that is generally true to condemn such situations, considering that.

I don't at all think it's "harmful and immoral" to condemn such relationships; I think that they are prima facie wrong until proven otherwise, just as I would assume the same thing about a 20 year old dating a 6 year old (although obviously to different degrees).

You've made the case that it's possible for such a thing to not be wrong; accepting that for the sake of conversation, I would still presume that the 20 y/o was a creeper until proven otherwise. And if someone's aggressively pursuing a high school freshman/sophomore, I'm going to assume he's a doucher until I have reason to think otherwise, because in general such people are damaged and damaging.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 2:18:50 AM
Edited for clarity...

At 6/2/2013 2:17:25 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Perhaps my initial comments weren't clear enough. Simple consent issues are not the entire reason for the general repulsiveness of a 20 year old aggressively attempting to have sex with a 15 year old.

You said:
"In fact, I daresay, to condemn such relationships is harmful and immoral."

But as a general rule, very few people who are out of high school who are aggressively pursuing freshman/sophomore high school students are anything but creepers. That is to say, the vast majority of people like that are harmful and immoral themselves.

It's a rule of thumb that is generally true to condemn such situations, considering that.

I don't at all think it's "harmful and immoral" to condemn such relationships; I think that they are prima facie wrong until proven otherwise, just as I would assume the same thing about a 20 year old dating a 6 year old (although obviously to different degrees).

You've made the case that it's possible for a 6 y/o and a 20 y/o dating to not be wrong; accepting that for the sake of conversation, I would still presume that the 20 y/o was a creeper until proven otherwise. And if someone's aggressively pursuing a high school freshman/sophomore, I'm going to assume he's a doucher until I have reason to think otherwise, because in general such people are damaged and damaging.
The_Chaos_Heart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 2:28:33 AM
At 6/2/2013 2:18:50 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I fail to see why age should make it repulsive, which I assume is why you bring their ages up. Unless I'm missing something.

Eh, I'm not so confident with that kind of claim. Perhaps it has something to do with myself being out of high school, and having held romantic feelings for a friend still in high school. Granted, the age difference was 3, not 5. But I hardly see why 2 years makes a jump from acceptable, to creepy.

A 20 and a 6 year old is more understandable, only because I have yet to ever hear of a 6 year old capable of consent, so it is worth having skepticism over whether or not it is the case. However, plenty of 15 year olds are capable of consent, and, where it's legal, do consent. So I do not see at all why it should be viewed with predisposed opposition.

You've made the case that it's possible for a 6 y/o and a 20 y/o dating to not be wrong; accepting that for the sake of conversation, I would still presume that the 20 y/o was a creeper until proven otherwise. And if someone's aggressively pursuing a high school freshman/sophomore, I'm going to assume he's a doucher until I have reason to think otherwise, because in general such people are damaged and damaging.

I see no reason to think that, but perhaps this has to do with experience, as in my experience, this has not been the case. Still, I think it is damaging to society to view such relationships with disgust and suspicion, as it only reaffirms a draconian disgust for younger people holding relationships with elder people, which can cause a lot of strife and pain for people in such relationships.

I mean, hell, why do we not think this way about couples the closer in age they get? What if they were 15 and 19? 16 and 20? Or even closer? At what exact point does it go from "normal" and "acceptable" to "creepy"? This all seems highly subjective to me, and so I would suggest it is far better to withhold such judgments, until more information can be gathered. Innocent until proven guilty, not the opposite.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 3:00:10 AM
At 6/1/2013 3:41:16 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I agree. I think the technical definition that should be used here is "nutjob".

I second Bladerunner's point.
Tsar of DDO
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 7:33:44 PM
Psychopathy (/sa=8;G2;k;4;pə_2;i/[1]) is a personality or mental disorder[2][3][4][5] characterized partly by antisocial behavior, a diminished capacity for remorse, and poor behavioral controls.

I'm fairly certain that setting up a fake email account so that you can kidnap and "rescue" an underaged girl who resisted your advances even though you already have a girlfriend qualifies one for psychopathy. He doesn't seem to be very remorseful (although that shouldn't really matter), the behavior was clearly antisocial, and he obviously doesn't know how to control himself.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 8:40:26 PM
At 6/2/2013 7:33:44 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Psychopathy (/sa=8;G2;k;4;pə_2;i/[1]) is a personality or mental disorder[2][3][4][5] characterized partly by antisocial behavior, a diminished capacity for remorse, and poor behavioral controls.

I'm fairly certain that setting up a fake email account so that you can kidnap and "rescue" an underaged girl who resisted your advances even though you already have a girlfriend qualifies one for psychopathy. He doesn't seem to be very remorseful (although that shouldn't really matter), the behavior was clearly antisocial, and he obviously doesn't know how to control himself.

This is a better resource:

http://www.psychologytoday.com...
Tsar of DDO
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 9:08:21 PM

Psychopaths have excellent behavioral controls- you're thinking about sociopaths. The reason why I doubt that he's a psychopath is that psychopath's are geniuses. They carefully think through all the possibility and ramifications before committing a crime- they don't have "poor behaviour controls." Somebody that was foolish enough to use a computer traceable back to him is most definitely not a genius.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 9:11:06 PM
Think of Hannibal (esp. Mads Mikkelsen portrayal) as a psychopath. He is charming, smart, maintains an outward appearance, social, and by all accounts, normal. A sociopath would be somebody like Ted Kacynzski (although he is really smart).
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 10:24:49 PM
At 6/2/2013 9:08:21 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Psychopaths have excellent behavioral controls- you're thinking about sociopaths. The reason why I doubt that he's a psychopath is that psychopath's are geniuses. They carefully think through all the possibility and ramifications before committing a crime- they don't have "poor behaviour controls." Somebody that was foolish enough to use a computer traceable back to him is most definitely not a genius.

No, your thinking of hollywood's definition. Psychopaths aren't high IQ and most of the correlation can be attributed to selective bias (since low income families are less likely to see a psychologist) : "Hare and Neumann (2008) state that a large literature shows that there is at most only a weak association between psychopathy and IQ."

And yes, they do have low impulse control, unless your actually arguing against the DSM definition of psychopathy.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 10:37:29 PM
At 6/2/2013 10:24:49 PM, darkkermit wrote:

No, your thinking of hollywood's definition. Psychopaths aren't high IQ and most of the correlation can be attributed to selective bias (since low income families are less likely to see a psychologist) : "Hare and Neumann (2008) state that a large literature shows that there is at most only a weak association between psychopathy and IQ."

And yes, they do have low impulse control, unless your actually arguing against the DSM definition of psychopathy.

Uh...movies are misleading. So it is sociopaths that are extremely smart?
The_Chaos_Heart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2013 11:57:40 PM
At 6/2/2013 10:37:29 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Uh...movies are misleading. So it is sociopaths that are extremely smart?

Yes. Sociopaths are, in a sense, emotionally inept. They tend to be very calculating, and are very good at putting on a show. Typically sociopaths suffer from a personality disorder known as Anti-Social Personality Disorder. They tend to be more organized.

Psychopaths, as the name suggests, are typically disjointed from reality in one way or another, and have very low impulse control. They tend to act out in more overtly violent, and sometimes chaotic, ways
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 12:10:01 AM

In all seriousness, armchair diagnoses based on a single incident are rarely a good idea, particularly when all the details are still unknown (is this whole "I wanted to rescue her" thing a BS smokescreen to cover the "I planned to rape and murder her, but got a little premature e-muderation going on"?). Which is why I used the non-real-diagnostic-term "nutjob". He might be simply bipolar. Or perhaps he has schizophrenia. He could have had a psychotic episode. Dissociative disorder. Mythomania. I could keep going.

There's nowhere near enough data to assert any specific pathology. There's only enough data to assert "crazy". In fact, I think there's enough to ratchet it to "Batsh*t" crazy.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:04:36 AM

I just posted the definition of psycopathy. You are mistaken about it.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 12:36:09 PM

yeah, unless you kill many. then you are. Well maybe I would call the person crazy.
The_Chaos_Heart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 2:03:07 PM
At 6/3/2013 12:36:09 PM, leojm wrote:

yeah, unless you kill many. then you are.

Not necessarily, no. Psychopathy is not purely synonymous with "crazy person". Just look above, I've already explained this.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 2:22:59 PM
At 6/2/2013 10:37:29 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

No, neither are smart and sociopath and psychopath are pretty much synonyms.

Of course, a sociopath can be a genius, but one is not required to be a genius
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
The_Chaos_Heart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 2:26:53 PM
At 6/3/2013 2:22:59 PM, darkkermit wrote:
No, neither are smart...

Of course, a sociopath can be a genius...

Uhuh. Do explain those contradictory claims.

...and sociopath and psychopath are pretty much synonyms.

Not true. I wrote a whole paper in one of my criminal justice classes on the differences between psychopaths and sociopaths. They are often used interchangeably in the broader culture, but when it comes to diagnosis, they are most certainly not the same thing.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 3:54:02 PM
At 6/3/2013 2:26:53 PM, The_Chaos_Heart wrote:
At 6/3/2013 2:22:59 PM, darkkermit wrote:
No, neither are smart...

Of course, a sociopath can be a genius...

Uhuh. Do explain those contradictory claims.

...and sociopath and psychopath are pretty much synonyms.

Not true. I wrote a whole paper in one of my criminal justice classes on the differences between psychopaths and sociopaths. They are often used interchangeably in the broader culture, but when it comes to diagnosis, they are most certainly not the same thing.

There is actually a bit of debate as to whether they should be treated as distinct. Some psychiatrists do not distinguish between the terms.
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2013 9:02:15 AM
At 6/3/2013 2:03:07 PM, The_Chaos_Heart wrote:
At 6/3/2013 12:36:09 PM, leojm wrote:

yeah, unless you kill many. then you are.

Not necessarily, no. Psychopathy is not purely synonymous with "crazy person". Just look above, I've already explained this.

Yes, I just read that. I'm usually oblivious to reading the above. :P
Rhett_Butler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2013 10:44:53 AM
"and that he had thrown her clothes out of the truck's window"

So he stripped her naked, too. Figures, f*ing necrophilliac. It's a god damned shame that he gets to live.