Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Paula Deen uses the N word

TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 6:06:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am obviously not racist, and I don't think that Paula was right in using the N word. However I admit that I don't know the context of how she used the word, I will assume it was probably as some sort of attack, or degradation given the lawsuit she is facing.

My question is: Whether what she is doing is right or wrong, why the heck are people making such a big deal about it? I can see someone offhandedly being offended about it, and maybe posting some big Blog on Paula Deen being a racist b1tch, but a court case? Famous people use racial slurs all the time and get away with it.

I know that comedians do it in Jest, but in actuality, what they are doing is almost just as bad what Paula Deen did. And the context they use it in is arguably a lot worse. People shrug it off because it's comedy, and it's obviously intended to be in good humor.

I just think the Court Case is a little over board. The fact that Neo-Nazi's don't even get as much flack as Paula is concering as well.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 6:48:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The court case is a separate issue-it was filed as a result of sexual and racial discrimination on the part of Deen. She was fired from her job with the Food Network as a result of the usage of the word as well as for the lawsuit.
USAPitBull63
Posts: 668
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2013 11:14:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
As I said in the other Paula Deen thread, this song/video sums up my stance on this story.

And, as usual, this unremarkable story grossly overshadows (thanks, media) blatant racism by professional lawmakers who may not only influence, but directly determine, public policy.

http://www.startribune.com...
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2013 4:07:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/29/2013 11:14:29 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
As I said in the other Paula Deen thread, this song/video sums up my stance on this story.



And, as usual, this unremarkable story grossly overshadows (thanks, media) blatant racism by professional lawmakers who may not only influence, but directly determine, public policy.

http://www.startribune.com...

While I get that the point of the video says that everyone has racist thoughts, I think its different to put them into cruel words that obviously have a history of offending people. But I think the court case is a little over board that's all.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2013 4:29:51 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/29/2013 6:48:41 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
The court case is a separate issue-it was filed as a result of sexual and racial discrimination on the part of Deen. She was fired from her job with the Food Network as a result of the usage of the word as well as for the lawsuit.

I believe the usage of the word gives credence to the possibility of losing the lawsuit, which scared the network, so they didn't renew her contract.

Does anyone know if she was fired? I heard she only had 1.5 weeks left in her contract, and Food Network just didn't renew. I am aware they are essentially the same thing; I am just curious.
My work here is, finally, done.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2013 8:11:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/30/2013 4:29:51 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/29/2013 6:48:41 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
The court case is a separate issue-it was filed as a result of sexual and racial discrimination on the part of Deen. She was fired from her job with the Food Network as a result of the usage of the word as well as for the lawsuit.

I believe the usage of the word gives credence to the possibility of losing the lawsuit, which scared the network, so they didn't renew her contract.

Does anyone know if she was fired? I heard she only had 1.5 weeks left in her contract, and Food Network just didn't renew. I am aware they are essentially the same thing; I am just curious.

They didn't renew her contract. They didn't revoke the current one.
mathdebator
Posts: 72
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2013 10:42:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Back in the days, you could say the N word all you want, and nobody would care. You could pretty much do anything come to think of it...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2013 6:16:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/30/2013 10:42:52 AM, mathdebator wrote:
Back in the days, you could say the N word all you want, and nobody would care. You could pretty much do anything come to think of it...

Yup, it's such a shame that those good ol' days of lynching and slavery are gone, isn't it?
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2013 6:17:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't really see what the uproar is about, especially since most of the people here had no problem with a dentist firing his best employee because she was attractive and his wife was jealous. FN can fire Deen for any reason, and people have the right to be upset about racism.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2013 6:19:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/30/2013 6:17:50 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I don't really see what the uproar is about, especially since most of the people here had no problem with a dentist firing his best employee because she was attractive and his wife was jealous.

I was against that but only because she wasn't attractive and her subsequent appearance on Tosh.0 wasn't very funny.

FN can fire Deen for any reason, and people have the right to be upset about racism.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
SweetTea
Posts: 22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 5:12:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Deen admitted using the N-word in a deposition. Given her age & the fact that she was raised in the segregated South, I am not surprised by her admission. However, for me personally, I think it takes more than a racial slur to make you a racist. Was it wrong? Yes. Was it crude & hurtful? Yes. But, unfortunately, racial slurs are now very common-place in daily language. There are more racial & derogatory terms heard than the N-word.

This isn't something exclusive to the South. It's done in the North, the Midwest, etc. I've heard these slurs shouted at ballparks, malls, in traffic, etc. I've heard them said in supermarkets, airports & restaurants. I have lived three-fourths of my life in the South, but that's not where I've heard most of them used! Sometimes, I've been on a business trip & heard them. Other times, I was on vacation. I've heard a few used that I almost needed a dictionary to know what was said. I admit, I had to ask someone. And I don't consider myself a naive, or uneducated person. But slang & slurs are almost like another language.

Profanity is also on the rise, today. Words that used to only be said in moments of frustration or anger, 25 years ago, are blurted out daily now. Adults are guilty. Kids are guilty. Whites as well as Minorities are also guilty. I would bet 98% of America has used some form of a racial slur. Many don't even know they have done so. How? I really don't know. I would assume there are numerous variables to blame. But ... we have somehow become a desensitized society.

On an added note ... The plaintiff in the lawsuit against Deen is White. According to the news, just last night, her usage of the N-word was ruled inadmissible in court. Apparently, since the person involved wasn't Black, she can't complain that it offended her. I may not be explaining that exactly right. I was multi-tasking at the time. But that was my understanding of the ruling.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 12:49:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
She used the N word once thirty years ago, in a commercial kitchen situation. Commercial kitchens are characteristically places of rude behavior; if you doubt that read some of Anthony Bourdain. In recent years Deen publicly supported President Obama, something a racist would never do. She profusely apologized for her use thirty years ago.

The Deen incident sheds light on political correctness being a modern form of religion. Those who have signed on as true believers in political correctness have immunity from being punished for slips, but non-members of the PC religion are infidels who must be banished forever.