Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:00:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/13/2013 8:56:22 PM, YYW wrote:
Turn on CNN!

http://www.cnn.com...
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:04:26 PM
You really have to admire the justice system in this country. It's so beautiful.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:07:20 PM
"I believe that there is a family whose heart is broken who thinks the system has failed them... I think that the system failed the Martin family. I wanted my son to understand what happened... I could just imagine what Trayvon Martin's father is feeling."

-A father reacting to the verdict
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:07:40 PM
At 7/13/2013 9:07:20 PM, YYW wrote:
"I believe that there is a family whose heart is broken who thinks the system has failed them... I think that the system failed the Martin family. I wanted my son to understand what happened... I could just imagine what Trayvon Martin's father is feeling."

Oh, this was on CNN too...
Tsar of DDO
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:08:53 PM
At 7/13/2013 9:04:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
You really have to admire the justice system in this country. It's so beautiful.

If you're sincere, well, I guess I agree. Not NECESSARILY with this particular case, but still.

If you're sarcastic, I think Not Guilty, on reflection, is probably the most reasonable verdict.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:10:33 PM
At 7/13/2013 9:07:20 PM, YYW wrote:

Eh.

Again, I don't really have TOO great of an opinion on the case itself. However, I think all the Justice for Trayvon people look at the situation with FAR too many immediate presumptions.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:12:06 PM
At 7/13/2013 9:08:53 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

If you're sincere, well, I guess I agree. Not NECESSARILY with this particular case, but still.

If you're sarcastic, I think Not Guilty, on reflection, is probably the most reasonable verdict.

Most reasonable, I would agree but damnit the whole thing was just a complete tragedy on about every level
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:16:10 PM

not sarcastic. It's actually uplifting to me that the system is designed in such a way external pressure or mob rule does not compromise the adjudicative process. Of course there is sadness in this case in that an unarmed kid was murdered and his family has not received any kind of positive resolution from the court, but the truth was brought forth and this judgement was fair.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:16:15 PM

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic and I feel you. It's disgusting on every level.

I have to remind myself I'm in love with an American...
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:16:53 PM
At 7/13/2013 9:16:15 PM, tulle wrote:

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic and I feel you. It's disgusting on every level.

Well then. Nevermind :/

One day I'll get sarcasm right.
yang.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:16:55 PM
At 7/13/2013 9:12:06 PM, thett3 wrote:

Most reasonable, I would agree but damnit the whole thing was just a complete tragedy on about every level

A complete tragedy that could have been avoided. I would like to add that this case is the strongest argument for laws that prohibit concealed carrying I have seen in some time.
Tsar of DDO
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:18:05 PM
At 7/13/2013 9:16:10 PM, 000ike wrote:

not sarcastic. It's actually uplifting to me that the system is designed in such a way external pressure or mob rule does not compromise the adjudicative process. Of course there is sadness in this case in that an unarmed kid was murdered and his family has not received any kind of positive resolution from the court, but the truth was brought forth and this judgement was fair.

Ah. Well, my own thoughts on the matter that I shared with thett on FB is that the entire situation is tragic. A boy was shot, likely due to the negligence of another. However, the situation only becomes more tragic if the shooter is thrown to the lions as a means of satiating a furious public.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:20:19 PM

I wasn't being sarcastic though. I initially supported the prosecution, but after listening to the evidence and following the story, I just can't find it within me to say that Zimmerman acted in violation of the law or in an evil manner. Don't get me wrong, this is an extremely tragic encounter that never should have occurred and the summation of the events points to obvious guilt on Zimmerman's part, but details suggest otherwise. With everything in mind, I think this decision was fair and much of this case has been unfortunately distorted and disfigured in the public eye.

If I believed this was a case of racism, I wouldn't think twice about expressing outrage, but I don't believe that to be the case.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:40:53 PM
I suppose in the end there was reasonable doubt. This was exacerbated by the prosecution aiming far too high with 2nd degree murder IMHO.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 10:09:08 PM
At 7/13/2013 9:16:55 PM, YYW wrote:
A complete tragedy that could have been avoided. I would like to add that this case is the strongest argument for laws that prohibit concealed carrying I have seen in some time.

Because the national spotlight shown so bright and so long on it? Concealed carry owners preventing crime and acting responsibly don't make the news.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 11:06:33 PM
Best tweet of the night:

"If Zimmerman had shot a deer without a hunting license he would have received more punishment."
yang.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 11:40:43 PM
At 7/13/2013 11:06:33 PM, tulle wrote:
Best tweet of the night:

"If Zimmerman had shot a deer without a hunting license he would have received more punishment."

You can say that about literally every minor law after someone is acquitted, I'd receive more punishment if I'd have double parked.

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 11:40:56 PM
Best tweet of the night:

This was based off a Florida law that is very uncommon. Not many states have such lenient stand your ground laws as Florida. If you think you're life is in danger at all, you can shoot to kill with little repercussion. Texas is the same way.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 11:41:44 PM
Best tweet of the night:

Not if it was in self defense.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 12:01:08 AM
At 7/13/2013 11:40:56 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Best tweet of the night:

This was based off a Florida law that is very uncommon. Not many states have such lenient stand your ground laws as Florida. If you think you're life is in danger at all, you can shoot to kill with little repercussion. Texas is the same way.

There are many good things about Florida, like Cuban restaurants, vacation destinations and the climate is pretty awesome too... but the gun laws are mind boggling.
Tsar of DDO
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 12:17:36 AM
At 7/13/2013 9:20:19 PM, 000ike wrote:

I wasn't being sarcastic though. I initially supported the prosecution, but after listening to the evidence and following the story, I just can't find it within me to say that Zimmerman acted in violation of the law or in an evil manner. Don't get me wrong, this is an extremely tragic encounter that never should have occurred and the summation of the events points to obvious guilt on Zimmerman's part, but details suggest otherwise. With everything in mind, I think this decision was fair and much of this case has been unfortunately distorted and disfigured in the public eye.

If I believed this was a case of racism, I wouldn't think twice about expressing outrage, but I don't believe that to be the case.

holy sh1t. Never thought I'd live to see the day.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 12:23:59 AM
At 7/14/2013 12:17:36 AM, darkkermit wrote:

That you and ike would be in agreement?

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 12:25:49 AM
At 7/14/2013 12:23:59 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 7/14/2013 12:17:36 AM, darkkermit wrote:

That you and ike would be in agreement?

Yes, I'm also surprised that he thinks the verdict as fair. It seems to me that the issue has been purely a left vs. right issue.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 6:53:27 AM

are you been serious?
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 7:03:47 AM

Wow! I am actually impressed that you were able to share your opinion with such grace and respect, a rare sight in this site. I however, have to disagree with you. Rather than listen to the inept prosecution, I used common sense to put 1 and 2 together. The fact that the guy followed Treyvon and acted in a manner that would even he knew would lead to conflict, should carry some sort of retribution. Treyvon acted out of self defense and this was an argument that I thought would have been beneficial to the prosecution. They should have stressed the events that happened before the initial altercation.
mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 8:07:58 AM
Stuff like this happens every day. No need to make a big deal out of it.

In other news, I saw that Ethiopian Airlines has a fleet of Boeing 787s. They can probably feed the entire population if they sell the planes!