The Confederacy

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:04:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
You mean the CSA?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:05:07 PM
At 7/18/2013 11:04:35 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
You mean the CSA?

Yeah. Meant to post this in history... well fvck it I'm tired.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:10:44 PM
Its establishment was constitutionally illegal and the ethical motives against the liberty of some nullifies their claims to liberty in the form of sovereignty. To fight in the name of the preservation of unlibertarian practices is to reject the principles of libertarianism itself - that said, an argument that appeals to a right to secede in the name of slavery must be self-defeating.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:10:58 PM
At 7/18/2013 11:05:07 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/18/2013 11:04:35 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
You mean the CSA?

Yeah. Meant to post this in history... well fvck it I'm tired.

Fair enough.

Anyway, I think that, at least at first, the CSA was within its rights, both explicit and implicit, to secede. However, they dun goof'd when they attacked Fort Sumter, so they got what they had coming in the end. Meaning even though the CSA was justified in secession, the USA was justified in reuniting the country because the CSA started it.

Personally, though, I think the CSA was a despicable excuse for a country that, even though it claimed to want to have people retain their sovereignty from a central federal government, still couldn't even recognize the right of people to have sovereignty over themselves and, y'know, NOT be slaves? I personally am so glad that that backwards-@ss country got sowed what they reaped.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:23:27 PM
I want you to ask yourself- what would the world look like today if the confederates had won? They would control the Mississippi river basin and have more resources than the North (assuming that borders stayed about where they were), but they wouldn't be as unified politically or as capable of bringing force to bear as the US would be. I think that the Russians would probably have conquered Europe, and Japan would be a Pacific/East Asian hegemon right now, while North Americans would cooperate among themselves to hold off outside forces, but simply wouldn't have anywhere near as much strength as the modern day US does. Not very pleasant.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:33:18 PM
At 7/18/2013 10:59:48 PM, YYW wrote:
How do you feel about it?

The same way I feel about food from Taco Bell when im sh*tting it out later that night.... Just a big mistake that I wanna forget about asap.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:38:46 PM
Giant clusterfuck.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 12:23:38 AM
I think that they had a right to form. If a sovereign group wants to form a country together they should have been allowed to. However, I understand why the North wouldn't let them. I think they had a right to. It says in the Declaration of Independence if a government is no longer servicing the people (which the North dominating fed was no longer doing) the South had a right to try and absolve those bonds. They just failed.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 2:00:47 AM
At 7/22/2013 1:45:33 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I appreciate them sponsoring country music festivals.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion