Jump to topic:

Why...

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 4:06:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
is US news polluted with ceaseless babble about the birth of a baby in England? I found the royal wedding annoying, but my God, this is so much worse. It's not even a part of American pop culture!
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 4:08:37 PM
At 7/22/2013 4:06:31 PM, 000ike wrote:
is US news polluted with ceaseless babble about the birth of a baby in England? I found the royal wedding annoying, but my God, this is so much worse. It's not even a part of American pop culture!

It is a distraction from the countless murders and rapes that so often fill our 10 o clock news. Most people would rather be happy and ignorant than utterly depressed and informed. This was something that took me a while to accept.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 4:10:17 PM
We live in a celebrity culture, and the Royals of the UK are just one step above what we have here.

Plus, people want to celebrate something happy for once.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 4:11:12 PM
At 7/22/2013 4:08:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

It is a distraction from the countless murders and rapes that so often fill our 10 o clock news. Most people would rather be happy and ignorant than utterly depressed and informed. This was something that took me a while to accept.

That's not true. There are many happy things that occur in the country, but media outlets understand that sensational tragedies are what garner the most attention for the longest amount of time. It's not that only negative things happen all the time, it's that negative sells. And on the occasion they report something happy, it's superficial and so far removed that I get this visceral irritation just by hearing about it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 4:20:06 PM
At 7/22/2013 4:11:12 PM, 000ike wrote:

That's not true. There are many happy things that occur in the country, but media outlets understand that sensational tragedies are what garner the most attention for the longest amount of time. It's not that only negative things happen all the time, it's that negative sells. And on the occasion they report something happy, it's superficial and so far removed that I get this visceral irritation just by hearing about it.

Most happy things that happen are actual very minor and localized. There are not too many that nationally relatable. However, while tragic does sell, it is very relatable to us and those that we care about (because we are naturally empathetic creatures) and even though we relate with it, the overwhelming degree to which we receive it can cause depression. So when there is something that is of national, or even global significance that is positive, people latch on like crazy.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 4:26:52 PM
At 7/22/2013 4:20:06 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Most happy things that happen are actual very minor and localized. There are not too many that nationally relatable. However, while tragic does sell, it is very relatable to us and those that we care about (because we are naturally empathetic creatures) and even though we relate with it, the overwhelming degree to which we receive it can cause depression. So when there is something that is of national, or even global significance that is positive, people latch on like crazy.

I disagree. The Zimmerman trial in actuality should have been a quiet local affair, and wasn't inherently of any national importance until opportunistic pundits injected certain issues into the case. Virtually anything, with enough extension, can be converted into a national issue. There are countless stories about cities with economies on the rebound, succeeding public school systems, reversal of negative trends, geniuses & prodigies and their work, etc. And even when we don't want to load the airways with charged (positive or negative) stories, there's always the fairly,...somewhat neutral coverage of politics on national, state, and international levels. It doesn't have to be that every second we're either talking about royal weddings and babies or cases of despicable crimes and terror.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 4:41:37 PM
At 7/22/2013 4:26:52 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/22/2013 4:20:06 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I disagree. The Zimmerman trial in actuality should have been a quiet local affair, and wasn't inherently of any national importance until opportunistic pundits injected certain issues into the case.

That ties back into the empathy that I mentioned earlier. Any kind of "unjust" death (or what may be perceived as an unjust death) can be applied "what if that happened to me or someone I love?" and our empathy will pretty much automatically make people care.

People have a harder time relating to prodigies doing amazing work, unless that work is something like treating cancer, in which they relate with the potential people suffering cancer that may be helped. Likewise, hearing a city doing well or a school doing well, when yours may not be, does not create a decent connection to make people care. On the flip side, when a city's economy collapsing (like Detroit filing for bankruptcy) people will relate through fear that it could happen to their city. Irrational fear has always been an evolutionary survival tactic that still lingers in us today.

Virtually anything, with enough extension, can be converted into a national issue. There are countless stories about cities with economies on the rebound, succeeding public school systems, reversal of negative trends, geniuses & prodigies and their work, etc. And even when we don't want to load the airways with charged (positive or negative) stories, there's always the fairly,...somewhat neutral coverage of politics on national, state, and international levels. It doesn't have to be that every second we're either talking about royal weddings and babies or cases of despicable crimes and terror.

No, but they need to be talking about something that people can relate to and care about.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 12:41:11 AM

I keep seeing, "The baby is third in line for the throne!" and I imagine Harry pushing william off a cliff into a herd of wildebeast and chasing the baby off.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 1:01:20 AM
At 7/23/2013 12:41:11 AM, Naysayer wrote:

I keep seeing, "The baby is third in line for the throne!" and I imagine Harry pushing william off a cliff into a herd of wildebeast and chasing the baby off.

Though England seems to care more about Queens than Kings, so I don't think that plan would work.