Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Anthony weiner scandal

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 6:14:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
here we go again, another example of why I hate watching the news. Can someone explain to me what is the relevance of a politician cheating on his wife? What does that have to do with us? Why should we care? So its okay for a politician to bankrupt a state/city/country, or disregard the principles of the constitution for his own, or subjugate the general public but the second one of them cheats on his wife, all bets are off? This is one of those issues of personal morality that don't extend to anything beyond what's personal. This mindless sensationalism over nothing, it's just so absurd
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 7:08:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Because it is usually indicative of a man's character. In a typical marriage, a man or woman makes a commitment and promises to by monogamous. Weiner broke that promise. Now I don't know about you, but I would like the politicians we elect to keep their promises.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 7:09:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
To be clear, I don't really care that be cheated. I'm not some moral guardian standing in the shadows throwing rocks at people who act in ways I disagree with. But when a person's actions point to the fact that they are not trustworthy, I would not trust them in public office.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Rice
Posts: 107
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 11:43:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What a politician does in their private time is really not a matter of public concern, I agree that it is a complete distraction from the actual issues. However Weiner did resign from Congress for tweeting a lewd photo of himself, and now he's running for Mayor of NYC, so this will probably negatively impact him, regardless of the fact that it's irrelevant.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 1:57:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/23/2013 11:43:25 PM, Rice wrote:
What a politician does in their private time is really not a matter of public concern, I agree that it is a complete distraction from the actual issues. However Weiner did resign from Congress for tweeting a lewd photo of himself, and now he's running for Mayor of NYC, so this will probably negatively impact him, regardless of the fact that it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. It shows he has commitment issues (in his marriage), he lied by saying he was stopping for good (he didn't) and it shows he doesn't have the decency or self respect to stand in the public light with his pants up.

It shows a complete lack of consistency, judgement, honesty and overall character. I'm glad I don't live in New York is all I can say.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 6:35:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 1:57:52 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/23/2013 11:43:25 PM, Rice wrote:
What a politician does in their private time is really not a matter of public concern, I agree that it is a complete distraction from the actual issues. However Weiner did resign from Congress for tweeting a lewd photo of himself, and now he's running for Mayor of NYC, so this will probably negatively impact him, regardless of the fact that it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. It shows he has commitment issues (in his marriage), he lied by saying he was stopping for good (he didn't) and it shows he doesn't have the decency or self respect to stand in the public light with his pants up.

It shows a complete lack of consistency, judgement, honesty and overall character. I'm glad I don't live in New York is all I can say.

that's ridiculous. If you want to prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics then prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics. Don't go pry into his sexual habits and say AH HA! like you've found some universal aspect of his character. They're not related, and frankly I don't think at least 90% of the people who claim to care would care if the media didn't purport that they were supposed to care.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 6:58:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 6:35:11 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/24/2013 1:57:52 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/23/2013 11:43:25 PM, Rice wrote:
What a politician does in their private time is really not a matter of public concern, I agree that it is a complete distraction from the actual issues. However Weiner did resign from Congress for tweeting a lewd photo of himself, and now he's running for Mayor of NYC, so this will probably negatively impact him, regardless of the fact that it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. It shows he has commitment issues (in his marriage), he lied by saying he was stopping for good (he didn't) and it shows he doesn't have the decency or self respect to stand in the public light with his pants up.

It shows a complete lack of consistency, judgement, honesty and overall character. I'm glad I don't live in New York is all I can say.

that's ridiculous. If you want to prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics then prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics. Don't go pry into his sexual habits and say AH HA! like you've found some universal aspect of his character. They're not related, and frankly I don't think at least 90% of the people who claim to care would care if the media didn't purport that they were supposed to care.

If he can't even be honest to the person he ostensibly loves the most, why should I believe that he will be honest to people that he doesn't care about? I can't monitor him 24/7 to see if he is dishonest politically, so I have to decided whether or not I trust him in the first place. I do not trust people who cheat on their spouses.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 7:18:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 6:58:54 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:35:11 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/24/2013 1:57:52 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/23/2013 11:43:25 PM, Rice wrote:
What a politician does in their private time is really not a matter of public concern, I agree that it is a complete distraction from the actual issues. However Weiner did resign from Congress for tweeting a lewd photo of himself, and now he's running for Mayor of NYC, so this will probably negatively impact him, regardless of the fact that it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. It shows he has commitment issues (in his marriage), he lied by saying he was stopping for good (he didn't) and it shows he doesn't have the decency or self respect to stand in the public light with his pants up.

It shows a complete lack of consistency, judgement, honesty and overall character. I'm glad I don't live in New York is all I can say.

that's ridiculous. If you want to prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics then prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics. Don't go pry into his sexual habits and say AH HA! like you've found some universal aspect of his character. They're not related, and frankly I don't think at least 90% of the people who claim to care would care if the media didn't purport that they were supposed to care.

If he can't even be honest to the person he ostensibly loves the most, why should I believe that he will be honest to people that he doesn't care about? I can't monitor him 24/7 to see if he is dishonest politically, so I have to decided whether or not I trust him in the first place. I do not trust people who cheat on their spouses.

Oh come on royal, that's nonsense. clearly he doesn't love her all that much if he's cheating on her. that's THEIR business. If you want me to think that he has honesty and commitment issues in politics, then show honesty and commitment issues IN POLITICS. How does it follow that because you cheated on your wife, you're probably also bad at your job and also probably bad at everything else so I won't vote for you? It's a fallacy. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if those annoying pundits didn't so strongly imply that we're supposed to care about this - I doubt they even care about it, it's just that "scandals" bring in viewers.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 8:14:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 7:18:26 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:58:54 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:35:11 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/24/2013 1:57:52 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/23/2013 11:43:25 PM, Rice wrote:
What a politician does in their private time is really not a matter of public concern, I agree that it is a complete distraction from the actual issues. However Weiner did resign from Congress for tweeting a lewd photo of himself, and now he's running for Mayor of NYC, so this will probably negatively impact him, regardless of the fact that it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. It shows he has commitment issues (in his marriage), he lied by saying he was stopping for good (he didn't) and it shows he doesn't have the decency or self respect to stand in the public light with his pants up.

It shows a complete lack of consistency, judgement, honesty and overall character. I'm glad I don't live in New York is all I can say.

that's ridiculous. If you want to prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics then prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics. Don't go pry into his sexual habits and say AH HA! like you've found some universal aspect of his character. They're not related, and frankly I don't think at least 90% of the people who claim to care would care if the media didn't purport that they were supposed to care.

If he can't even be honest to the person he ostensibly loves the most, why should I believe that he will be honest to people that he doesn't care about? I can't monitor him 24/7 to see if he is dishonest politically, so I have to decided whether or not I trust him in the first place. I do not trust people who cheat on their spouses.

Oh come on royal, that's nonsense. clearly he doesn't love her all that much if he's cheating on her. that's THEIR business. If you want me to think that he has honesty and commitment issues in politics, then show honesty and commitment issues IN POLITICS. How does it follow that because you cheated on your wife, you're probably also bad at your job and also probably bad at everything else so I won't vote for you? It's a fallacy. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if those annoying pundits didn't so strongly imply that we're supposed to care about this - I doubt they even care about it, it's just that "scandals" bring in viewers.

It's also the fact that he knew ahead of time (and if he didn't, that's another problem) that if those pictures got out, he would be in the position he is, and he did it anyway. It shows irresponsibility, because he was willing to risk his entire career ...it doesn't matter that this risk is artificial and unjustified.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 9:08:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 8:14:26 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/24/2013 7:18:26 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:58:54 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:35:11 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/24/2013 1:57:52 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/23/2013 11:43:25 PM, Rice wrote:
What a politician does in their private time is really not a matter of public concern, I agree that it is a complete distraction from the actual issues. However Weiner did resign from Congress for tweeting a lewd photo of himself, and now he's running for Mayor of NYC, so this will probably negatively impact him, regardless of the fact that it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. It shows he has commitment issues (in his marriage), he lied by saying he was stopping for good (he didn't) and it shows he doesn't have the decency or self respect to stand in the public light with his pants up.

It shows a complete lack of consistency, judgement, honesty and overall character. I'm glad I don't live in New York is all I can say.

that's ridiculous. If you want to prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics then prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics. Don't go pry into his sexual habits and say AH HA! like you've found some universal aspect of his character. They're not related, and frankly I don't think at least 90% of the people who claim to care would care if the media didn't purport that they were supposed to care.

If he can't even be honest to the person he ostensibly loves the most, why should I believe that he will be honest to people that he doesn't care about? I can't monitor him 24/7 to see if he is dishonest politically, so I have to decided whether or not I trust him in the first place. I do not trust people who cheat on their spouses.

Oh come on royal, that's nonsense. clearly he doesn't love her all that much if he's cheating on her. that's THEIR business. If you want me to think that he has honesty and commitment issues in politics, then show honesty and commitment issues IN POLITICS. How does it follow that because you cheated on your wife, you're probably also bad at your job and also probably bad at everything else so I won't vote for you? It's a fallacy. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if those annoying pundits didn't so strongly imply that we're supposed to care about this - I doubt they even care about it, it's just that "scandals" bring in viewers.

It's also the fact that he knew ahead of time (and if he didn't, that's another problem) that if those pictures got out, he would be in the position he is, and he did it anyway. It shows irresponsibility, because he was willing to risk his entire career ...it doesn't matter that this risk is artificial and unjustified.

like I said to royal, if you want to prove that he's irresponsible in political leadership then prove that he's irresponsible in political leadership. It's just not logically valid to extrapolate these overarching conclusions from someone's personal life and use those as evaluative premises for his career. We're not electing heroes to government, and the foolish perception that we are is what leads the election of the incompetent. Election should be a precise science with precise ideals not a popularity contest begging for some exalted status.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 9:23:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 9:08:52 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/24/2013 8:14:26 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/24/2013 7:18:26 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:58:54 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:35:11 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/24/2013 1:57:52 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/23/2013 11:43:25 PM, Rice wrote:
What a politician does in their private time is really not a matter of public concern, I agree that it is a complete distraction from the actual issues. However Weiner did resign from Congress for tweeting a lewd photo of himself, and now he's running for Mayor of NYC, so this will probably negatively impact him, regardless of the fact that it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. It shows he has commitment issues (in his marriage), he lied by saying he was stopping for good (he didn't) and it shows he doesn't have the decency or self respect to stand in the public light with his pants up.

It shows a complete lack of consistency, judgement, honesty and overall character. I'm glad I don't live in New York is all I can say.

that's ridiculous. If you want to prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics then prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics. Don't go pry into his sexual habits and say AH HA! like you've found some universal aspect of his character. They're not related, and frankly I don't think at least 90% of the people who claim to care would care if the media didn't purport that they were supposed to care.

If he can't even be honest to the person he ostensibly loves the most, why should I believe that he will be honest to people that he doesn't care about? I can't monitor him 24/7 to see if he is dishonest politically, so I have to decided whether or not I trust him in the first place. I do not trust people who cheat on their spouses.

Oh come on royal, that's nonsense. clearly he doesn't love her all that much if he's cheating on her. that's THEIR business. If you want me to think that he has honesty and commitment issues in politics, then show honesty and commitment issues IN POLITICS. How does it follow that because you cheated on your wife, you're probably also bad at your job and also probably bad at everything else so I won't vote for you? It's a fallacy. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if those annoying pundits didn't so strongly imply that we're supposed to care about this - I doubt they even care about it, it's just that "scandals" bring in viewers.

It's also the fact that he knew ahead of time (and if he didn't, that's another problem) that if those pictures got out, he would be in the position he is, and he did it anyway. It shows irresponsibility, because he was willing to risk his entire career ...it doesn't matter that this risk is artificial and unjustified.

like I said to royal, if you want to prove that he's irresponsible in political leadership then prove that he's irresponsible in political leadership. It's just not logically valid to extrapolate these overarching conclusions from someone's personal life and use those as evaluative premises for his career. We're not electing heroes to government, and the foolish perception that we are is what leads the election of the incompetent. Election should be a precise science with precise ideals not a popularity contest begging for some exalted status.

But I'm not doing that. I don't care that he sexted. I care that he didn't care that others would care. Frankly, if his political career matters to him - which it should if we are to vote for him - then it shows poor judgement he'd risk it like this. If he doesn't care, then that's even more of a reason not to vote for him, albeit it doesn't necessarily show poor judgement.
USAPitBull63
Posts: 668
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 5:40:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/23/2013 6:14:02 PM, 000ike wrote:
Can someone explain to me what is the relevance of a politician cheating on his wife? What does that have to do with us? Why should we care?

Sure.

If a politician cannot faithfully commit to his or her vows/obligations toward the person whom (s)he claims to be most dedicated (marriage), this reasonably should be considered a red flag before trusting this person to commit to his or her vows/obligations to hundreds, thousands, possibly millions of individuals whom (s)he does/will not even know.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 6:29:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 5:40:53 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
At 7/23/2013 6:14:02 PM, 000ike wrote:
Can someone explain to me what is the relevance of a politician cheating on his wife? What does that have to do with us? Why should we care?

Sure.

If a politician cannot faithfully commit to his or her vows/obligations toward the person whom (s)he claims to be most dedicated (marriage), this reasonably should be considered a red flag before trusting this person to commit to his or her vows/obligations to hundreds, thousands, possibly millions of individuals whom (s)he does/will not even know.

Yes, I heard that argument already. I'm saying that this is a false extrapolation and you can't derive universal conclusions about a person's effectiveness at a job by his personal relationships. If you want to prove that he's dishonest in politics then prove that he's dishonest in politics. I can't get past the irritating sensationalism over something that isn't even the public's business and even more annoying are the post hoc justifications of the knee-jerk reactions to the man's marital infidelity.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
USAPitBull63
Posts: 668
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 6:47:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 6:29:50 PM, 000ike wrote:
Yes, I heard that argument already.

Perhaps it has merit.

I'm saying that this is a false extrapolation and you can't derive universal conclusions about a person's effectiveness at a job by his personal relationships.

Perhaps, but it is reasonable to distrust someone when the person to whom (s)he swore his or her utmost trustworthiness has twice been publicly humiliated due to his or her inability to honor that trust. A politician's "effectiveness" is judged by more than just his or her purely legislative actions; that person is a representative of other people, their ideals, their values.

If you want to prove that he's dishonest in politics then prove that he's dishonest in politics. I can't get past the irritating sensationalism over something that isn't even the public's business and even more annoying are the post hoc justifications of the knee-jerk reactions to the man's marital infidelity.

You seem to presume that "politics" are mutually exclusive from personal relationships. Honoring the public trust is the responsibility of any public servant, and there are many aspects of trustworthiness other than those based purely on legislative decisions/actions. You may not like that reality, but reality it is.
THE_OPINIONATOR
Posts: 575
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 3:59:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/23/2013 6:14:02 PM, 000ike wrote:
here we go again, another example of why I hate watching the news. Can someone explain to me what is the relevance of a politician cheating on his wife? What does that have to do with us? Why should we care? So its okay for a politician to bankrupt a state/city/country, or disregard the principles of the constitution for his own, or subjugate the general public but the second one of them cheats on his wife, all bets are off? This is one of those issues of personal morality that don't extend to anything beyond what's personal. This mindless sensationalism over nothing, it's just so absurd

His last name is very appropriate to what he does...
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 12:18:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/26/2013 3:59:27 PM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
At 7/23/2013 6:14:02 PM, 000ike wrote:
here we go again, another example of why I hate watching the news. Can someone explain to me what is the relevance of a politician cheating on his wife? What does that have to do with us? Why should we care? So its okay for a politician to bankrupt a state/city/country, or disregard the principles of the constitution for his own, or subjugate the general public but the second one of them cheats on his wife, all bets are off? This is one of those issues of personal morality that don't extend to anything beyond what's personal. This mindless sensationalism over nothing, it's just so absurd

His last name is very appropriate to what he does...

It's hard not to joke about it.

Weiner seen in sexts! Internet ablaze with pictures of Weiner in light of recent scandal!
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 7:33:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/24/2013 7:18:26 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:58:54 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 7/24/2013 6:35:11 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/24/2013 1:57:52 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/23/2013 11:43:25 PM, Rice wrote:
What a politician does in their private time is really not a matter of public concern, I agree that it is a complete distraction from the actual issues. However Weiner did resign from Congress for tweeting a lewd photo of himself, and now he's running for Mayor of NYC, so this will probably negatively impact him, regardless of the fact that it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. It shows he has commitment issues (in his marriage), he lied by saying he was stopping for good (he didn't) and it shows he doesn't have the decency or self respect to stand in the public light with his pants up.

It shows a complete lack of consistency, judgement, honesty and overall character. I'm glad I don't live in New York is all I can say.

that's ridiculous. If you want to prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics then prove he has honesty and judgment issues in politics. Don't go pry into his sexual habits and say AH HA! like you've found some universal aspect of his character. They're not related, and frankly I don't think at least 90% of the people who claim to care would care if the media didn't purport that they were supposed to care.

If he can't even be honest to the person he ostensibly loves the most, why should I believe that he will be honest to people that he doesn't care about? I can't monitor him 24/7 to see if he is dishonest politically, so I have to decided whether or not I trust him in the first place. I do not trust people who cheat on their spouses.

Oh come on royal, that's nonsense. clearly he doesn't love her all that much if he's cheating on her. that's THEIR business. If you want me to think that he has honesty and commitment issues in politics, then show honesty and commitment issues IN POLITICS. How does it follow that because you cheated on your wife, you're probably also bad at your job and also probably bad at everything else so I won't vote for you? It's a fallacy. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if those annoying pundits didn't so strongly imply that we're supposed to care about this - I doubt they even care about it, it's just that "scandals" bring in viewers.

The problem is that I can't possibly scrutinize all of his political actions to figure this out. All I can do is determine his character from the manner in which he conducts himself in his daily life. He has a terrible character, and I will therefore not vote for him.
lannan13
Posts: 23,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 6:12:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/23/2013 6:14:02 PM, 000ike wrote:
here we go again, another example of why I hate watching the news. Can someone explain to me what is the relevance of a politician cheating on his wife? What does that have to do with us? Why should we care? So its okay for a politician to bankrupt a state/city/country, or disregard the principles of the constitution for his own, or subjugate the general public but the second one of them cheats on his wife, all bets are off? This is one of those issues of personal morality that don't extend to anything beyond what's personal. This mindless sensationalism over nothing, it's just so absurd

It happens
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~