Jump to topic:

Deion Sanders on Racism Double Standard

USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 6:13:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Earlier today, during the NFL Network's Hall of Fame pre-ceremony show, Deion Sanders led the NFL Network panel discussion about Philadelphia Eagles WR Riley Cooper's recent racial slur caught on camera (and subsequent, temporary absence from team activities).

http://www.nfl.com...

This has been, by far, the most articulate analysis of this story that I've yet heard. More important, it truly hits to the heart of racial politics/political posturing in America today. (Perhaps Al Sharpton can learn a thing or two from Primetime.)

"First of all, I'm a man of forgiveness because God has truly forgiven me.

"What bothers me is how we, as African Americans, can say the 'N-word' to one another. We can listen to it in almost every rap song. And even distribute it amongst each other in the locker room, on the field---but it's not okay for another race.

"So who is racist? I think it involves the both of us.

"[Riley Cooper] said something under pressure that really told us what's inside of him. I can forgive him for that. But I cannot think for one minute that you have not said something in your home, in your workplace, at a club/party, or just amongst friends that you don't want to get out. And you got the audacity to judge this kid?

"I think he's a kid that made a mistake. But it baffles me how we [African-Americans] can say it to one another, but when another race says it, we have a problem.

"You don't ostracize a man because he made one mistake. Put a microphone on everybody on the darn team. See what everybody says.

"What's the most prominent movie that was in the country this year? We talked about it earlier. Django [Unchained]. We didn't hear it there?"