Yum, Stem Cell Burgers

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 2:07:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.bloomberg.com...

On the one hand, it sounds ridiculously unappealing. On the other hand, they keep saying that it's beef, not genetically modified, just meat grown in a petri dish.

"We"ve already been growing food with cultures to make beer, wine, yogurt," the younger Forgacs said at a TED talk in Edinburgh in June. "It"s clean, efficient and humane. Perhaps we are ready for something literally and figuratively more cultured."

Agree or not? Discuss.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 2:15:12 PM
I'll wait for the blind taste test results to come in before I pick a side. I don't eat beef though, and this won't change that.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Patriotgames8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 2:45:21 PM
Yeah. and only cost 345,000US$ a burger..single not double..or triple as BK would ask you to devour Lol!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 2:56:29 PM
Are you people on crack?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 3:07:03 PM
Yeah, this has been in the news for quite a while now.

I've always been and continue to be a big supporter of in vitro meat. It's an absolutely fantastic idea.

Then again, that's kind of to be expected from a supporter of genetically modified foods as a whole.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
FrackJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 10:31:25 PM
At 8/5/2013 3:07:03 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Yeah, this has been in the news for quite a while now.

I've always been and continue to be a big supporter of in vitro meat. It's an absolutely fantastic idea.

Then again, that's kind of to be expected from a supporter of genetically modified foods as a whole.
GM kfc
: At 8/8/2013 6:15:09 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
: The idiots are rebelling.

http://i.imgur.com...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 12:40:15 AM
At 8/5/2013 2:45:21 PM, Patriotgames8 wrote:
Yeah. and only cost 345,000US$ a burger..single not double..or triple as BK would ask you to devour Lol!

lol, for the "prototype" yes. However, there's reason to believe that costs will go very, very far down:

"The muscle stem cells, taken by harmless biopsy from living cows, are fed and nurtured so they multiply to create muscle tissue. The cells grow into strands, and 20,000 of them get combined to create one burger. One sample of cells is enough to create as much as 20,000 tons of meat in the lab, he said."
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 1:59:52 PM
I will wait and see what diseases are associated with it, before consumption.

See everyone in this video are grimacing, you have to
look closely. Plus they were probably paid.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 4:04:17 PM
So there is nothing more important to spend research money on.

My faith in humanity will decrease if someone buys a meal from the 60k per ounce cake textured meat.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 3:11:41 PM
if it's cheap, healthy, reasonable on the environment and ethical, then definitely.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 2:20:01 PM
At 8/14/2013 1:59:52 PM, Disquisition wrote:
I will wait and see what diseases are associated with it, before consumption.

See everyone in this video are grimacing, you have to
look closely. Plus they were probably paid.

I didn't see any grimacing, lol, although I agree they probably were paid to taste test it.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 2:21:07 PM
At 8/14/2013 4:04:17 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
So there is nothing more important to spend research money on.

My faith in humanity will decrease if someone buys a meal from the 60k per ounce cake textured meat.

Well, to the extent that it relies on stem cell research, it could help to remove the stigma currently associated with stem cells on medical issues. It's good progress, IMHO.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 6:09:34 PM
You guys do realize that the absurd cost associated with the burger very likely includes parts of research costs, right? Mass produced stem cell burgers would not cost that much.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."