Iran Invades Iraq

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2009 7:56:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Really. Iranian soldiers have taken control of an oil well along a disputed border section, and apparently this isn't the first time in recent weeks.

I don't know whether or not this kind of stuff has occurred during Hussein's reign, but I don't see why it is being tolerated now. This is the first I've heard of it and I'm really wondering the Iraqi and US military response in the other incidents.

Is this a sign of Iran prowling on the edges, just waiting for their chance to invade Iraq full-force and take over? Or is it nothing but silly border disputes?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2009 8:30:44 AM
At 12/18/2009 7:56:06 AM, Volkov wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Really. Iranian soldiers have taken control of an oil well along a disputed border section, and apparently this isn't the first time in recent weeks.

I don't know whether or not this kind of stuff has occurred during Hussein's reign, but I don't see why it is being tolerated now. This is the first I've heard of it and I'm really wondering the Iraqi and US military response in the other incidents.

Is this a sign of Iran prowling on the edges, just waiting for their chance to invade Iraq full-force and take over? Or is it nothing but silly border disputes?

That's kind of surprising to me, makes me think we really are doing ok in Iraq.

I always figured as soon as we got out Iran&Iraq would cozy up together b/c they're the only Shia countries in the area.
I figured Iran was biding their, and trying to maintain apparent good relations until we left, so they could become a "big brother" figure to the Iraqis.

I just hope they keep up these border shananigans so the Iraqis hate'm enough that they don't jump in bed together when we leave.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2009 8:34:08 AM
Then again, now having read the source, the Iraqi official "playing down" the Iranian incursion may more support the brotherly stance the two will adopt towards each other.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2009 8:35:41 AM
At 12/18/2009 8:30:44 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I just hope they keep up these border shananigans so the Iraqis hate'm enough that they don't jump in bed together when we leave.

Eh, possibly. Hard to tell, really, because of there is an apparent lack of response from the Iraqi Defense Ministry, which is run by Shi'ites, I'd question whether or not the Iraqi government was allowing this to go on, for appearances maybe, or for strategy. I don't know.

I never assumed Iraq would jump in with Iran, though. Despite the similar demographics and beliefs, there is way too much animosity between not only the bureaucracies, but the people - Shi'ite or Sunni - as well. Shi'ites might be more friendly, but nothing leading to being in bed with eachother, and Sunni's would be the more resentful group.

It isn't as if they can ignore Iran, though. There needs to be diplomacy between the two countries for the sake of Iraq and Iran; don't need a war between these two countries, do we?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2009 8:43:51 AM
At 12/18/2009 8:35:41 AM, Volkov wrote:

It isn't as if they can ignore Iran, though. There needs to be diplomacy between the two countries for the sake of Iraq and Iran; don't need a war between these two countries, do we?

Not war, just Iraq being the posterboy for Islamic Democracy that Bush envisioned, and a bit of contempt for the Iranian government would be welcomed.

Plus if Iraq ended up being that posterboy we'd back Iraq and there would be no conflict.

I think there was definitely good reason, "pre-surge", to worry about Iraq becoming a semi-extension of Iran, as the Iranian backed Shia Militia's were the only widespread, and organized, group of Iraqis, and I still worry about their sympathizers getting too strong a foothold in the Iraqi democracy.

Metaphysics:
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2009 8:53:12 AM
At 12/18/2009 8:43:51 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Not war, just Iraq being the posterboy for Islamic Democracy that Bush envisioned, and a bit of contempt for the Iranian government would be welcomed.

Plus if Iraq ended up being that posterboy we'd back Iraq and there would be no conflict.

I think there was definitely good reason, "pre-surge", to worry about Iraq becoming a semi-extension of Iran, as the Iranian backed Shia Militia's were the only widespread, and organized, group of Iraqis, and I still worry about their sympathizers getting too strong a foothold in the Iraqi democracy.

"Iraqi democracy"? Que?

Granted, Iraq is a democracy, and a pretty good one considering, but it won't be the "poster boy" Bush wanted it to be. Al-Maliki is considered a semi-authortarian ruler by his own people. The nation building in Iraq has been successful, but not to the extent American generals and bureaucrats want you to believe.

And you have to be prepared for the eventuality, especially in a "democracy," that sympathizers will gain traction and power. It won't happen in reality, because the US and Maliki wouldn't let that happen; but the possibility exists, and if you truly wish to present a poster boy for democracy, those that are elected must be respected.

Of course, if they aren't elected, go balls out, eh. :D