No more minarets.

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 3:54:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What are they, two years old?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 3:59:48 PM
At 12/20/2009 3:54:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
What are they, two years old?

But, but, the evil minarets are a symbol of Islams potency over Europe. :( Europe is impotent!

Lol.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 3:54:14 AM
I agree, tis shameful.

However in 90% of Islamic countries this kind of crap is WAY worse towards Christianity.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:25:14 AM
At 12/22/2009 10:56:12 AM, Volkov wrote:
Guess which country is next! http://www.angus-reid.com...

Actually, I think the reason that many British people would be against them is that the minarets are not in keeping with the surrounding architecture.

As it happens, I visit Istanbul quite regularly and minarets look great there but they would look totally out of place in a traditional English skyline of steeples, spires and Norman towers.

There's no problem with building mosques; it's the minarets that are the focus of the opposition.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:27:52 AM
At 12/22/2009 11:25:14 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
There's no problem with building mosques; it's the minarets that are the focus of the opposition.

I don't know, brian. Aesthetic arguments aside, Britain doesn't have the greatest reputation in the world as a Muslim-friendly place. We had a debate somewhat over this subject. :P
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:29:47 AM
At 12/22/2009 11:27:52 AM, Volkov wrote:

I don't know, brian. Aesthetic arguments aside, Britain doesn't have the greatest reputation in the world as a Muslim-friendly place. We had a debate somewhat over this subject. :P

Blame the BNP. They don't seem to like anybody or anything foreign in the UK.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:32:54 AM
At 12/22/2009 11:29:47 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Blame the BNP. They don't seem to like anybody or anything foreign in the UK.

The BNP is only part of the problem. The simple fact is that the BNP wouldn't exist if there weren't already fears over Muslims and foreigners, legit or not.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:33:37 AM
At 12/22/2009 11:27:52 AM, Volkov wrote:

Yes, well, that's actually true - they get treated the way Jews used to before the Muslims arrived here en masse.

However, it's not something I'm proud of so I thought I create a smokescreen to hide the fact that many people here are, sadly, quite racist.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:34:06 AM
Well it won't happen in Britain, we don't have referendums. As it is though Britain is a very tolerant nation, more so before the war on terror and the election of a strangely racist new labour government.

In any case I understand why the Swiss feel this way, they have a lovely stable homogenous country and the world is going to sh!t around them. They are scared.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 12:46:39 PM
At 12/21/2009 3:54:14 AM, johngriswald wrote:
I agree, tis shameful.

However in 90% of Islamic countries this kind of crap is WAY worse towards Christianity.

And paving the way for tolerance isn't the way to progress society ultimatley?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:28:00 PM
At 12/22/2009 11:34:06 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Well it won't happen in Britain, we don't have referendums. As it is though Britain is a very tolerant nation, more so before the war on terror and the election of a strangely racist new labour government.

Why do you think its called Nu Labour? xD

Besides, you would have referendums if your politicians decided to stick to their guns about certain issues where they promised referendums on.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:34:12 PM
At 12/22/2009 1:28:00 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/22/2009 11:34:06 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Why do you think its called Nu Labour? xD

Besides, you would have referendums if your politicians decided to stick to their guns about certain issues where they promised referendums on.

I thought there would be a referendum on the Lisbon treaty there if the Tories got in power before it came into effect.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:36:27 PM
At 12/22/2009 1:34:12 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I thought there would be a referendum on the Lisbon treaty there if the Tories got in power before it came into effect.

That is what Cameron has said - referendum unless it comes into effect before they're in power. But, I don't blame a lot of the British for feeling betrayed by that stance; they were essentially promised a referendum, and then Cameron, and Brown, went back on it. I'm no Eurosceptic, but that is just wrong.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:39:14 PM
At 12/22/2009 1:36:27 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/22/2009 1:34:12 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

That is what Cameron has said - referendum unless it comes into effect before they're in power. But, I don't blame a lot of the British for feeling betrayed by that stance; they were essentially promised a referendum, and then Cameron, and Brown, went back on it. I'm no Eurosceptic, but that is just wrong.

Hehe, we had a referendum which passed on the second time (woop).I have no doubt the Brits would have it rejected - They're discontent with Labour and still retain nationalism. Brown just wanted it to pass to please his government.

Nevertheless, the Treaty has come into power so now it's history.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:40:47 PM
At 12/22/2009 1:39:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Hehe, we had a referendum which passed on the second time (woop).I have no doubt the Brits would have it rejected - They're discontent with Labour and still retain nationalism. Brown just wanted it to pass to please his government.

Its history unless UKIP comes into power. Those pseudo-libertarian conservatives would probably take the UK out of the EU if they couldn't annul the Libson Treaty.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:44:29 PM
At 12/22/2009 1:40:47 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/22/2009 1:39:14 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Its history unless UKIP comes into power. Those pseudo-libertarian conservatives would probably take the UK out of the EU if they couldn't annul the Libson Treaty.

Which is unlikely. Tories will get into power.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:44:51 PM
At 12/22/2009 10:56:12 AM, Volkov wrote:
Guess which country is next! http://www.angus-reid.com...

Actually, I think the reason that many British people would be against them is that the minarets are not in keeping with the surrounding architecture.

As it happens, I visit Istanbul quite regularly and minarets look great there but they would look totally out of place in a traditional English skyline of steeples, spires and Norman towers.

People have a right to build things that look however they bloody well like on their own property. It exists for their purposes. Just as I do not require you to look just like me, even if we were sitting next to each other, for your appearance exists for your purposes.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:46:27 PM
At 12/22/2009 1:44:29 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Hey, hey, could be a hung parliament and UKIP does have a theoretical chance of holding the balance of power because I don't think the Libs are going to jump in bed with the Tories willfully, or be accepted, with ideas like the Mansion Tax.

Its all in the math. >.>
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:51:34 PM
At 12/22/2009 1:46:27 PM, Volkov wrote:

Hey, hey, could be a hung parliament and UKIP does have a theoretical chance of holding the balance of power because I don't think the Libs are going to jump in bed with the Tories willfully, or be accepted, with ideas like the Mansion Tax.

Its all in the math. >.>

BNP has gained power, who are pretty much along the lines of the UKIP.

And Ireland only joined the EU when Britain joined. FML.

Besides, I think alot of Britons would be p***ed if Britain left the EU.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:53:57 PM
At 12/22/2009 1:51:34 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Except I don't think UKIP has any ties to neo-Nazi groups, yet.

Really? Hahaha. I'm sure there is some measure of independence, though.

Well, the thing about UKIP is that if they were to do that, their own ideology makes them want to have a referendum on it. But, since when do politicians listen to their own ideology?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 2:01:06 PM
At 12/22/2009 1:53:57 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/22/2009 1:51:34 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Except I don't think UKIP has any ties to neo-Nazi groups, yet.

Lol, not yet anyway.

Really? Hahaha. I'm sure there is some measure of independence, though.

Yeah, this article says it all: http://www.irishtimes.com...

"He pointed out Belgium had replaced Britain as Ireland's second-largest export market, due primarily to the quantity of pharmaceutical ingredients exported there."

Well, the thing about UKIP is that if they were to do that, their own ideology makes them want to have a referendum on it. But, since when do politicians listen to their own ideology?

They stopped when Clinton left office.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 2:13:03 PM
At 12/22/2009 1:46:27 PM, Volkov wrote:

The Lib Dems and the Tories had no problem snuggling up together after the 2004 Birmingham City Council elections.

Although Labour (who had run the city for 20 years) won the most seats, the Lib Dems joined forces with the Tories to take power which they still hold now, it is basically a Conservative council that pays lip service to the Liberal Democrats. This also happened in Leeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://politicalhackuk.blogspot.com...

On a separate note, UKIP have no chance really in parliamentary elections. Their seats in Europe are entirely the result of their single issue based policy. Most Brits sadly don't care enough about Europe to vote for our EMPs which lets @rseholes like BNP and UKIP get in.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 2:21:24 PM
At 12/22/2009 2:13:03 PM, feverish wrote:
The Lib Dems and the Tories had no problem snuggling up together after the 2004 Birmingham City Council elections.

Although Labour (who had run the city for 20 years) won the most seats, the Lib Dems joined forces with the Tories to take power which they still hold now, it is basically a Conservative council that pays lip service to the Liberal Democrats. This also happened in Leeds.

I'm not saying co-operation isn't possible, just that it is a little reluctant. The Lib Dems aren't really like other European Liberals, in that they're generally more socially liberal than classically; you won't end up with such a nice accord as you see in Germany.

And if UKIP did manage to win seats in a general election, and enough seats to fill out most if not all spots between the Tories and a majority, in a theoretical hung parliament, they'd find an accord much easier to hammer out.

On a separate note, UKIP have no chance really in parliamentary elections. Their seats in Europe are entirely the result of their single issue based policy. Most Brits sadly don't care enough about Europe to vote for our EMPs which lets @rseholes like BNP and UKIP get in.

I don't know. UKIP is a fairly large party; 600,000 isn't a small number, even in British politics. Imagine if they increased that to a million, which isn't much of a jump....
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 3:07:45 PM
At 12/22/2009 2:21:24 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/22/2009 2:13:03 PM, feverish wrote:

I'm not saying co-operation isn't possible, just that it is a little reluctant. The Lib Dems aren't really like other European Liberals, in that they're generally more socially liberal than classically; you won't end up with such a nice accord as you see in Germany.

And if UKIP did manage to win seats in a general election, and enough seats to fill out most if not all spots between the Tories and a majority, in a theoretical hung parliament, they'd find an accord much easier to hammer out.

I don't know. UKIP is a fairly large party; 600,000 isn't a small number, even in British politics. Imagine if they increased that to a million, which isn't much of a jump....

Still on 1/65th of the votes at best. There are also 100,000 pagans in Britain.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 3:11:28 PM
At 12/22/2009 3:07:45 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Still on 1/65th of the votes at best. There are also 100,000 pagans in Britain.

Do all of them vote?

Considering that in 2005 only 27 million votes, 600,000 is 2% of the total. That rising to a million or more, with a turnout of say, 30 million, is still rising a percentage point and a half - more than enough to guarantee a seat, if its based regionally enough.