Jump to topic:

Our evening news, uninformative

johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 5:59:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does anyone else feel like our news network does a crap job of reporting anything other than petty controversies, celebrity news, etc.

Seriously. Did it cover what was happening during the Iran protests? What is really happening around the world.

Our Tv News has become fail IMO.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 6:11:03 AM
It's the same here in, Australia, for most full commercial networks. It best serves as a form of light entertainment, with some news pieces in between. :P There are better news services on the less popular channels.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 12:43:55 PM
Hey now - don't blame the news, blame the people.

Media only puts on what it thinks people will watch en masse, because that is how they get their money. You can't ask them to show something that they don't think anyone will watch and jeopardize their income.

Individuals need to start getting more involved and caring themselves before the media will change its programming. If apathy reigns, so does the National Enquirer.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 12:56:17 PM
I gave up on Tv news a long time ago. Newspaper occasionally, but RSS nowadays mostly.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 12:57:15 PM
At 12/21/2009 12:56:17 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I gave up on Tv news a long time ago. Newspaper occasionally, but RSS nowadays mostly.

I get my news here, pretty much.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2009 1:41:53 PM
At 12/21/2009 5:59:02 AM, johngriswald wrote:
Seriously. Did it cover what was happening during the Iran protests? What is really happening around the world.

I hate American media, but I did water it often over the summer because Canada's 24 hour networks try to cover too much, and it ends up playing in 20-minute loops. They never focus on anything.

Anyway, so I was following the Iranian unrest very closely (twitter, several forms, talking to actual Iranians, etc.) and CNN generally failed on most fronts except on Rick Sanchez's afternoon show. On several occasions he spoke to the protesters via Skype, reported what was trending on Twitter, held debates between pro-Mousavi and pro-government Iranians, and so on. While some hosts did a few good things, most sucked in comparison to Sanchez.