Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Government

GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 12:34:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
U.S. government shuts down - KSAT.com
http://www.ksat.com...
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 10:33:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/1/2013 12:34:33 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
U.S. government shuts down - KSAT.com
http://www.ksat.com...

I don't know how you feel, but I say shut down more government! Anything they aren't supposed to do needs to be shut down! We should have minimal government that provides infrastructure, national defense, and anything else they were actually established for.

People complain that the government spies on us, and then complains when they shut down...where is their logic?
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 11:09:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/7/2013 10:33:57 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/1/2013 12:34:33 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
U.S. government shuts down - KSAT.com
http://www.ksat.com...

I don't know how you feel, but I say shut down more government! Anything they aren't supposed to do needs to be shut down! We should have minimal government that provides infrastructure, national defense, and anything else they were actually established for.

People complain that the government spies on us, and then complains when they shut down...where is their logic?

Good point ...
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 11:28:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/7/2013 10:33:57 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/1/2013 12:34:33 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
U.S. government shuts down - KSAT.com
http://www.ksat.com...

I don't know how you feel, but I say shut down more government! Anything they aren't supposed to do needs to be shut down! We should have minimal government that provides infrastructure, national defense, and anything else they were actually established for.

People complain that the government spies on us, and then complains when they shut down...where is their logic?

Could you please point out specific examples of what our government is doing that is not within the powers enumerated in the Constitution?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2013 3:41:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/7/2013 11:28:39 PM, drhead wrote:
At 10/7/2013 10:33:57 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/1/2013 12:34:33 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
U.S. government shuts down - KSAT.com
http://www.ksat.com...

I don't know how you feel, but I say shut down more government! Anything they aren't supposed to do needs to be shut down! We should have minimal government that provides infrastructure, national defense, and anything else they were actually established for.

People complain that the government spies on us, and then complains when they shut down...where is their logic?

Could you please point out specific examples of what our government is doing that is not within the powers enumerated in the Constitution?

Just for starters, how about spying on every aspect of our life?

If you are implying that our government has not stepped out of its boundaries, you are a comedian.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 11:03:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/9/2013 3:41:17 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/7/2013 11:28:39 PM, drhead wrote:
At 10/7/2013 10:33:57 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/1/2013 12:34:33 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
U.S. government shuts down - KSAT.com
http://www.ksat.com...

I don't know how you feel, but I say shut down more government! Anything they aren't supposed to do needs to be shut down! We should have minimal government that provides infrastructure, national defense, and anything else they were actually established for.

People complain that the government spies on us, and then complains when they shut down...where is their logic?

Could you please point out specific examples of what our government is doing that is not within the powers enumerated in the Constitution?

Just for starters, how about spying on every aspect of our life?

If you are implying that our government has not stepped out of its boundaries, you are a comedian.

Answer the question please. Any news articles about people getting spied on in particular? Otherwise, this is nothing more then a sweeping generalization.

If you are talking about the NSA, they are only allowed to take meta-data, so our data is safe, and (The companies) data about data isn't ours to begin with.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 11:24:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2013 11:03:04 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
At 10/9/2013 3:41:17 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/7/2013 11:28:39 PM, drhead wrote:
At 10/7/2013 10:33:57 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/1/2013 12:34:33 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
U.S. government shuts down - KSAT.com
http://www.ksat.com...

I don't know how you feel, but I say shut down more government! Anything they aren't supposed to do needs to be shut down! We should have minimal government that provides infrastructure, national defense, and anything else they were actually established for.

People complain that the government spies on us, and then complains when they shut down...where is their logic?

Could you please point out specific examples of what our government is doing that is not within the powers enumerated in the Constitution?

Just for starters, how about spying on every aspect of our life?

If you are implying that our government has not stepped out of its boundaries, you are a comedian.

Answer the question please. Any news articles about people getting spied on in particular? Otherwise, this is nothing more then a sweeping generalization.

If you are talking about the NSA, they are only allowed to take meta-data, so our data is safe, and (The companies) data about data isn't ours to begin with.

Meta-data is data.
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 11:25:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2013 11:24:35 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/10/2013 11:03:04 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
At 10/9/2013 3:41:17 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/7/2013 11:28:39 PM, drhead wrote:
At 10/7/2013 10:33:57 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/1/2013 12:34:33 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
U.S. government shuts down - KSAT.com
http://www.ksat.com...

I don't know how you feel, but I say shut down more government! Anything they aren't supposed to do needs to be shut down! We should have minimal government that provides infrastructure, national defense, and anything else they were actually established for.

People complain that the government spies on us, and then complains when they shut down...where is their logic?

Could you please point out specific examples of what our government is doing that is not within the powers enumerated in the Constitution?

Just for starters, how about spying on every aspect of our life?

If you are implying that our government has not stepped out of its boundaries, you are a comedian.

Answer the question please. Any news articles about people getting spied on in particular? Otherwise, this is nothing more then a sweeping generalization.

If you are talking about the NSA, they are only allowed to take meta-data, so our data is safe, and (The companies) data about data isn't ours to begin with.

Meta-data is data.

Whose data is it? I'm kind of foggy on who owns the data on data.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 11:46:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2013 11:25:14 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
At 10/10/2013 11:24:35 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/10/2013 11:03:04 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
At 10/9/2013 3:41:17 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/7/2013 11:28:39 PM, drhead wrote:
At 10/7/2013 10:33:57 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/1/2013 12:34:33 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
U.S. government shuts down - KSAT.com
http://www.ksat.com...

I don't know how you feel, but I say shut down more government! Anything they aren't supposed to do needs to be shut down! We should have minimal government that provides infrastructure, national defense, and anything else they were actually established for.

People complain that the government spies on us, and then complains when they shut down...where is their logic?

Could you please point out specific examples of what our government is doing that is not within the powers enumerated in the Constitution?

Just for starters, how about spying on every aspect of our life?

If you are implying that our government has not stepped out of its boundaries, you are a comedian.

Answer the question please. Any news articles about people getting spied on in particular? Otherwise, this is nothing more then a sweeping generalization.

If you are talking about the NSA, they are only allowed to take meta-data, so our data is safe, and (The companies) data about data isn't ours to begin with.

Meta-data is data.

Whose data is it? I'm kind of foggy on who owns the data on data.

The service provider owns the data. But that's not to say that its seizure isn't a violation of individual civil rights (a la the fourth amendment).
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 5:29:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2013 11:03:04 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Answer the question please. Any news articles about people getting spied on in particular? Otherwise, this is nothing more then a sweeping generalization.

If you are talking about the NSA, they are only allowed to take meta-data, so our data is safe, and (The companies) data about data isn't ours to begin with.

Uhh...have you not heard about the NSA spying on phone calls? Internet activity? E-mails?
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 6:15:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What's so bad about having impersonal and emotionless super-computers trawl through your personal data if they are doing it to millions of others? It's like being spied on by a rock, very scary stuff indeed.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 6:32:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2013 6:15:19 PM, Smithereens wrote:
What's so bad about having impersonal and emotionless super-computers trawl through your personal data if they are doing it to millions of others? It's like being spied on by a rock, very scary stuff indeed.

Because it's the people part of the equation that fouls things up.

People abusing that power to spy on girlfriends or just out right not following their own rules regarding the protection of privacy.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 7:41:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2013 6:32:22 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/10/2013 6:15:19 PM, Smithereens wrote:
What's so bad about having impersonal and emotionless super-computers trawl through your personal data if they are doing it to millions of others? It's like being spied on by a rock, very scary stuff indeed.

Because it's the people part of the equation that fouls things up.

People abusing that power to spy on girlfriends or just out right not following their own rules regarding the protection of privacy.

So there are individuals with access to this data? Is there something that can be done about that?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 7:50:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2013 7:41:52 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 10/10/2013 6:32:22 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/10/2013 6:15:19 PM, Smithereens wrote:
What's so bad about having impersonal and emotionless super-computers trawl through your personal data if they are doing it to millions of others? It's like being spied on by a rock, very scary stuff indeed.

Because it's the people part of the equation that fouls things up.

People abusing that power to spy on girlfriends or just out right not following their own rules regarding the protection of privacy.

So there are individuals with access to this data? Is there something that can be done about that?

Yeah. Abolish the programs, initiate criminal and civil proceedings, publish FISA court records, National Security Letter contents, enforce net neutrality, remove government involvement in cryptographic development...
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 9:27:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/10/2013 6:15:19 PM, Smithereens wrote:
What's so bad about having impersonal and emotionless super-computers trawl through your personal data if they are doing it to millions of others? It's like being spied on by a rock, very scary stuff indeed.

It's the fact that the government is not supposed to do that in the first place. Of course if you don't do anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about, but it's just the fact that you don't want to attract their attention because you mention the word "gun" or "bomb." If you do, they actually listen to the call or whatever it is you did. And now that I mentioned those two words, someone will probably be taking a look at this post. In that case, FVCK YOU GOVERNMENT!!!

Have you read the book 1984? It's one of my favorites. Our government is heading down that path.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 9:33:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/11/2013 9:27:39 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/10/2013 6:15:19 PM, Smithereens wrote:
What's so bad about having impersonal and emotionless super-computers trawl through your personal data if they are doing it to millions of others? It's like being spied on by a rock, very scary stuff indeed.

It's the fact that the government is not supposed to do that in the first place. Of course if you don't do anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about, but it's just the fact that you don't want to attract their attention because you mention the word "gun" or "bomb." If you do, they actually listen to the call or whatever it is you did. And now that I mentioned those two words, someone will probably be taking a look at this post. In that case, FVCK YOU GOVERNMENT!!!

Have you read the book 1984? It's one of my favorites. Our government is heading down that path.

Heh lol, if the government wants to go through a suspicious call I made, its perfectly fine by me. In the interests of national security, I give privacy a lower priority. Plus, nothing done by them is personal. They are doing a routine of collecting output data from their computers on hot-words they are looking for, and if the computer labels something suspicious, they investigate it then move on. It's not like these people have any interests or affiliations with the thousands of people whose data they check.

I also believe there is this thinking out there that the government is spying on every individual like this. This is false, its only the people who have been determined suspicious. What government has the resources to set a human spy on every individual? If it was a person keeping their eyes on me, then I would be concerned. But a routine, passing sweep check on myself by an uninterested party doing their job is perfectly ok in my books.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 9:46:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/11/2013 9:33:47 PM, Smithereens wrote:
Heh lol, if the government wants to go through a suspicious call I made, its perfectly fine by me. In the interests of national security, I give privacy a lower priority. Plus, nothing done by them is personal. They are doing a routine of collecting output data from their computers on hot-words they are looking for, and if the computer labels something suspicious, they investigate it then move on. It's not like these people have any interests or affiliations with the thousands of people whose data they check.

I also believe there is this thinking out there that the government is spying on every individual like this. This is false, its only the people who have been determined suspicious. What government has the resources to set a human spy on every individual? If it was a person keeping their eyes on me, then I would be concerned. But a routine, passing sweep check on myself by an uninterested party doing their job is perfectly ok in my books.

I know that it's a computer that catches hot-words, I couldn't imagine them actually eavesdropping on every single phone call. But like I said, you could attract attention. You may be ok with it, but I'm not. Sure, I have nothing to worry about because I'm not doing anything wrong. But I like to have my privacy. I'm not a terrorist, why should I get my liberties taken away? But we hear more and more that the government is spying on us. Who knows? In a a couple decades, they might very well be watching us.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 9:49:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/11/2013 9:46:04 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/11/2013 9:33:47 PM, Smithereens wrote:
Heh lol, if the government wants to go through a suspicious call I made, its perfectly fine by me. In the interests of national security, I give privacy a lower priority. Plus, nothing done by them is personal. They are doing a routine of collecting output data from their computers on hot-words they are looking for, and if the computer labels something suspicious, they investigate it then move on. It's not like these people have any interests or affiliations with the thousands of people whose data they check.

I also believe there is this thinking out there that the government is spying on every individual like this. This is false, its only the people who have been determined suspicious. What government has the resources to set a human spy on every individual? If it was a person keeping their eyes on me, then I would be concerned. But a routine, passing sweep check on myself by an uninterested party doing their job is perfectly ok in my books.

I know that it's a computer that catches hot-words, I couldn't imagine them actually eavesdropping on every single phone call. But like I said, you could attract attention. You may be ok with it, but I'm not. Sure, I have nothing to worry about because I'm not doing anything wrong. But I like to have my privacy. I'm not a terrorist, why should I get my liberties taken away? But we hear more and more that the government is spying on us. Who knows? In a a couple decades, they might very well be watching us.

What does it change about your life if someone is spying on you and you don't know it?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 10:24:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/11/2013 9:49:37 PM, Smithereens wrote:
What does it change about your life if someone is spying on you and you don't know it?

Are you the only person that doesn't want privacy?

The government is supposed to have a minimal role in your life, not being a watchdog waiting for you to make the wrong move. It might not effect my life that much, except that they're intruding on my personal life and my privacy, and they have no right to in the first place.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 1:19:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
sure i was miffed when i heard the government was spying on people, but now i'm indifferent. i don't love it but i don't hate it. you and everyone else talking about privacy, ironmaiden, are just heavily narcissistic anarchists who can't get over the fact of some minuscule spying and are probably planning to overthrow the government and start you're own, which defeats the purpose of being an anarchist in the first place.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 1:19:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
there's my vent for today
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 10:37:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/12/2013 1:19:01 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
sure i was miffed when i heard the government was spying on people, but now i'm indifferent. i don't love it but i don't hate it. you and everyone else talking about privacy, ironmaiden, are just heavily narcissistic anarchists who can't get over the fact of some minuscule spying and are probably planning to overthrow the government and start you're own, which defeats the purpose of being an anarchist in the first place.

Minuscule? What do you think is the extent of the spying here?
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 7:28:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/13/2013 10:37:31 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/12/2013 1:19:01 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
sure i was miffed when i heard the government was spying on people, but now i'm indifferent. i don't love it but i don't hate it. you and everyone else talking about privacy, ironmaiden, are just heavily narcissistic anarchists who can't get over the fact of some minuscule spying and are probably planning to overthrow the government and start you're own, which defeats the purpose of being an anarchist in the first place.

Minuscule? What do you think is the extent of the spying here?

i wasn't completely thinking when i typed that
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 12:54:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/11/2013 10:24:34 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/11/2013 9:49:37 PM, Smithereens wrote:
What does it change about your life if someone is spying on you and you don't know it?

Are you the only person that doesn't want privacy?

The government is supposed to have a minimal role in your life, not being a watchdog waiting for you to make the wrong move. It might not effect my life that much, except that they're intruding on my personal life and my privacy, and they have no right to in the first place.

But again, why do you care?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 12:31:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/7/2013 11:28:39 PM, drhead wrote:
At 10/7/2013 10:33:57 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/1/2013 12:34:33 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
U.S. government shuts down - KSAT.com
http://www.ksat.com...

I don't know how you feel, but I say shut down more government! Anything they aren't supposed to do needs to be shut down! We should have minimal government that provides infrastructure, national defense, and anything else they were actually established for.

People complain that the government spies on us, and then complains when they shut down...where is their logic?

Could you please point out specific examples of what our government is doing that is not within the powers enumerated in the Constitution?

Violation of attorney client privilege, the state commonly cheats their way around it. Also violation of our free speech rights by now allowing us to threaten others or use inflammatory speech, violation of privacy and search and seizure, etc.
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 4:47:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2013 12:31:36 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 10/7/2013 11:28:39 PM, drhead wrote:
At 10/7/2013 10:33:57 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/1/2013 12:34:33 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
U.S. government shuts down - KSAT.com
http://www.ksat.com...

I don't know how you feel, but I say shut down more government! Anything they aren't supposed to do needs to be shut down! We should have minimal government that provides infrastructure, national defense, and anything else they were actually established for.

People complain that the government spies on us, and then complains when they shut down...where is their logic?

Could you please point out specific examples of what our government is doing that is not within the powers enumerated in the Constitution?

Violation of attorney client privilege, the state commonly cheats their way around it.

I have not heard of any instances of this happening where people involved did not receive sanctions, could you point out some specific examples?

Also violation of our free speech rights by now allowing us to threaten others or use inflammatory speech,

What, so you want extortion to be legal (which it would be if threats were legal)? I'm sorry, but there is no chance in hell that you will be able to change the public's opinion in favor of extortion. Threats stay illegal. You can't shout fire in a theater because you feel like it, either, since it puts others in danger. Pretty simple.

In addition, I find this to be a double standard - you want extortion to be legal, yet you complain about taxes and call them extortion. Make up your mind, please.

violation of privacy and search and seizure, etc.

Once again, these are mostly done by lower ranking law enforcement officials, who are held accountable in the vast majority of cases. However, media portrayal of this is often skewed in favor of reporting on cases where law enforcement officials are unpunished as of the date of reporting, since it makes a better story, so it is unlikely that this would be apparent from skimming headlines.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 6:00:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2013 12:54:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 10/11/2013 10:24:34 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/11/2013 9:49:37 PM, Smithereens wrote:
What does it change about your life if someone is spying on you and you don't know it?

Are you the only person that doesn't want privacy?

The government is supposed to have a minimal role in your life, not being a watchdog waiting for you to make the wrong move. It might not effect my life that much, except that they're intruding on my personal life and my privacy, and they have no right to in the first place.

But again, why do you care?

BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO!!! What do you think it will be like in 10 years? 20 years? 30 years? You'll have telescreens in your living room through which some government official will be watching your every move. Maybe I just sound paranoid, but I have reason to. It's scary to think that the government thinks it's ok to spy on you, no matter how much they actually are.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2013 1:20:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2013 6:00:45 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/15/2013 12:54:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 10/11/2013 10:24:34 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/11/2013 9:49:37 PM, Smithereens wrote:
What does it change about your life if someone is spying on you and you don't know it?

Are you the only person that doesn't want privacy?

The government is supposed to have a minimal role in your life, not being a watchdog waiting for you to make the wrong move. It might not effect my life that much, except that they're intruding on my personal life and my privacy, and they have no right to in the first place.

But again, why do you care?

BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO!!! What do you think it will be like in 10 years? 20 years? 30 years? You'll have telescreens in your living room through which some government official will be watching your every move. Maybe I just sound paranoid, but I have reason to. It's scary to think that the government thinks it's ok to spy on you, no matter how much they actually are.

They have every right to do whatever they think is necessary to keep their people safe. It is nonsense to say that some government official will be watching your every move. What is simply happening here is that a government agent will review suspicious calls and activity. Since nobody normal does anything suspicious, you have nothing to fear.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2013 1:25:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/16/2013 1:20:45 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 10/15/2013 6:00:45 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/15/2013 12:54:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 10/11/2013 10:24:34 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/11/2013 9:49:37 PM, Smithereens wrote:
What does it change about your life if someone is spying on you and you don't know it?

Are you the only person that doesn't want privacy?

The government is supposed to have a minimal role in your life, not being a watchdog waiting for you to make the wrong move. It might not effect my life that much, except that they're intruding on my personal life and my privacy, and they have no right to in the first place.

But again, why do you care?

BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO!!! What do you think it will be like in 10 years? 20 years? 30 years? You'll have telescreens in your living room through which some government official will be watching your every move. Maybe I just sound paranoid, but I have reason to. It's scary to think that the government thinks it's ok to spy on you, no matter how much they actually are.

They have every right to do whatever they think is necessary to keep their people safe. It is nonsense to say that some government official will be watching your every move. What is simply happening here is that a government agent will review suspicious calls and activity. Since nobody normal does anything suspicious, you have nothing to fear.

Ahem. While I suspect you're trolling, because of course your argument is ridiculous, I nonetheless will note:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!