Jump to topic:

The U.S. government shut down

winkie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 3:08:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
U.S. bipartisan health care reform Obama still unable to bridge their differences, Congress did not reach agreement on the budget. The White House has ordered the federal government shut down for the first time in 17 years. In addition to national security and other basic functions, many departments will be affected, will be about 1/3 of the federal government employees work stoppage.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 4:03:57 AM
Quantum technology is amazing if this news reached my ears in Australia before you heard of it. I think the bigger problem now is the need for Congress to focus on the debt ceiling, but I see some of the logic going on. If the shutdown continues, then the debt ceiling is surpassed, economy defaults, and the country goes into recession, meaning that Obamacare won't be able to be passed by Congress.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2013 5:06:44 PM
At 10/7/2013 4:03:57 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Quantum technology is amazing if this news reached my ears in Australia before you heard of it. I think the bigger problem now is the need for Congress to focus on the debt ceiling, but I see some of the logic going on. If the shutdown continues, then the debt ceiling is surpassed, economy defaults, and the country goes into recession, meaning that Obamacare won't be able to be passed by Congress.

A recession? Awesome! I hope there's violence and looting as well.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 12:08:25 AM
At 10/7/2013 5:06:44 PM, Jack212 wrote:

A recession in USA means more economic turmoil globally, and that means I in my country am as effected by this as the next man, though not if he is American. The parties just need to get their act together and stop being so uncompromising, it looks quite bad for America, and its not really fun for anyone else to watch. Not that American politics where anything to admire in the first place.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 2:11:48 AM
At 10/8/2013 12:08:25 AM, Smithereens wrote:

A recession in USA means more economic turmoil globally, and that means I in my country am as effected by this as the next man, though not if he is American. The parties just need to get their act together and stop being so uncompromising, it looks quite bad for America, and its not really fun for anyone else to watch. Not that American politics where anything to admire in the first place.

What you call "turmoil", I call "an opportunity to re-evaluate things". The more of that, the better.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 2:18:25 AM
At 10/8/2013 2:11:48 AM, Jack212 wrote:

What you call "turmoil", I call "an opportunity to re-evaluate things". The more of that, the better.

Turmoils and wars are always such a bother though. Everyone gets upset, then you get fed up with the whining, and wish it had never happened in the first place.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 6:53:21 AM
At 10/8/2013 2:18:25 AM, Smithereens wrote:

Turmoils and wars are always such a bother though. Everyone gets upset, then you get fed up with the whining, and wish it had never happened in the first place.

The US hasn't had a real war in decades, just half-a$$ed attempts to police 3rd world countries. If 9/11 becomes a weekly occurrence, people will have better things to do than whine. Or maybe they won't, in which case we have some more cannon fodder.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2013 6:54:15 AM
At 10/8/2013 6:53:21 AM, Jack212 wrote:
At 10/8/2013 2:18:25 AM, Smithereens wrote:

The US hasn't had a real war in decades, just half-a$$ed attempts to police 3rd world countries. If 9/11 becomes a weekly occurrence, people will have better things to do than whine. Or maybe they won't, in which case we have some more cannon fodder.

Cannon fodder is not your countries specialty, that would be biomass.