Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Taliban celebrate Malala missing the nobel

Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 12:01:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
... Peace prize.

MIRANSHAH, Pakistan: The Pakistani Taliban said on Friday that they were "delighted" Malala Yousafzai, the teenage education activist they tried to kill, missed out on the Nobel peace prize.

The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) shot Malala in the head on her school bus on October 9 last year for speaking out against them.

After the shooting she was flown to Britain for specialist care and made a remarkable recovery, going on to become a global ambassador for children's rights.

Spokesman Shahidullah Shahid told AFP the 16-year-old had done nothing to deserve the Nobel, which went to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons ( OPCW) for its work to rid the world of chemical arms.

"We are delighted that she didn't get it. She did nothing big so it's good that she didn't get it," Shahid said by telephone from an undisclosed location.

"This award should be given to the real Muslims who are struggling for Islam. Malala is against Islam, she is secular."

Malala won the European Parliament's Sakharov rights prize on Thursday, which the TTP condemned in similar terms, claiming "her struggle against Islam" was the reason the west was honouring her.

Feted by world leaders and celebrities for her courage, Malala has addressed the UN, this week published an autobiography, and would have been the youngest ever Nobel peace prize laureate if she had won.

Malala herself told Pakistani radio this week that she felt she had not yet done enough to earn the Nobel and spoke of her desire to do more practical work to promote education.

Malala first rose to prominence with a blog for the BBC Urdu service chronicling the difficulties of life under the rule of the Taliban, who controlled the Swat valley from 2007 until they were kicked out by the army in 2009.

Though the military operation ended the Taliban's rule, pockets of militancy remain and it was in Swat's main town Mingora that Malala was attacked.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 2:32:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Please don't forget the source. =)
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

As it is, I'm surprised by two things:

1) That the Taliban actually care what the Nobel committee does. The mere fact that they care IMHO weakens their ostensible cause to forward Muslim religious interests, as the Nobel committee is also "secular".

This points to either a contradiction in their ideology, or some blatant manipulation of their message by someone, somewhere.

2) I'm surprised anyone cares what the Nobel committee does regarding peace after Obama won it. Obama has followed the Bush Doctrine very closely.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 2:35:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/11/2013 2:32:50 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Please don't forget the source. =)
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

As it is, I'm surprised by two things:

1) That the Taliban actually care what the Nobel committee does. The mere fact that they care IMHO weakens their ostensible cause to forward Muslim religious interests, as the Nobel committee is also "secular".

This points to either a contradiction in their ideology, or some blatant manipulation of their message by someone, somewhere.

2) I'm surprised anyone cares what the Nobel committee does regarding peace after Obama won it. Obama has followed the Bush Doctrine very closely.

It's Malala they are focused on, not the Nobel. She's been a target for their hatred and threats for a while, so this is just an extension of that.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 3:12:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/11/2013 2:35:06 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/11/2013 2:32:50 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Please don't forget the source. =)
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

As it is, I'm surprised by two things:

1) That the Taliban actually care what the Nobel committee does. The mere fact that they care IMHO weakens their ostensible cause to forward Muslim religious interests, as the Nobel committee is also "secular".

This points to either a contradiction in their ideology, or some blatant manipulation of their message by someone, somewhere.

2) I'm surprised anyone cares what the Nobel committee does regarding peace after Obama won it. Obama has followed the Bush Doctrine very closely.

It's Malala they are focused on, not the Nobel. She's been a target for their hatred and threats for a while, so this is just an extension of that.

I understand that. My point was that by acknowledging the significance of the Nobel committee, a secular organization, they are undermining their cause. That seems contradictory.

Their best course of action, given their religious advocacy, would have been to totally ignore the Nobel committee on this, or to somehow frame the Nobel committee decision as some form of religious expression of Islam. Instead, they acknowledge the Nobel committee's secular stance as validating their own religious stance. This is not only contradictory, but a rather blatant acknowledgement of the Nobel committee's cultural superiority...which would then beg the question as to why someone would want to advocate for the Taliban at all instead of the Nobel committee and its interests, when the latter is clearly superior - this, according to the Taliban.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 1:53:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/11/2013 3:12:14 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 10/11/2013 2:35:06 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/11/2013 2:32:50 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Please don't forget the source. =)
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

As it is, I'm surprised by two things:

1) That the Taliban actually care what the Nobel committee does. The mere fact that they care IMHO weakens their ostensible cause to forward Muslim religious interests, as the Nobel committee is also "secular".

This points to either a contradiction in their ideology, or some blatant manipulation of their message by someone, somewhere.

2) I'm surprised anyone cares what the Nobel committee does regarding peace after Obama won it. Obama has followed the Bush Doctrine very closely.

It's Malala they are focused on, not the Nobel. She's been a target for their hatred and threats for a while, so this is just an extension of that.

I understand that. My point was that by acknowledging the significance of the Nobel committee, a secular organization, they are undermining their cause. That seems contradictory.

Their best course of action, given their religious advocacy, would have been to totally ignore the Nobel committee on this, or to somehow frame the Nobel committee decision as some form of religious expression of Islam. Instead, they acknowledge the Nobel committee's secular stance as validating their own religious stance. This is not only contradictory, but a rather blatant acknowledgement of the Nobel committee's cultural superiority...which would then beg the question as to why someone would want to advocate for the Taliban at all instead of the Nobel committee and its interests, when the latter is clearly superior - this, according to the Taliban.

Lol you underestimate how much they value the western opinions. Dunno if its garnering any media attention wordwide, but they have started proclaiming that they never did shoot Malala. And how the entire case is a conspiracy against their legitimacy.

They are like this little child, constantly reminding you that they don't care about your opinion and that they'll do whatever they want- but looking for validating themselves at every step.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 2:32:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/12/2013 1:53:07 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 10/11/2013 3:12:14 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Their best course of action, given their religious advocacy, would have been to totally ignore the Nobel committee on this, or to somehow frame the Nobel committee decision as some form of religious expression of Islam. Instead, they acknowledge the Nobel committee's secular stance as validating their own religious stance. This is not only contradictory, but a rather blatant acknowledgement of the Nobel committee's cultural superiority...which would then beg the question as to why someone would want to advocate for the Taliban at all instead of the Nobel committee and its interests, when the latter is clearly superior - this, according to the Taliban.

Lol you underestimate how much they value the western opinions. Dunno if its garnering any media attention wordwide, but they have started proclaiming that they never did shoot Malala. And how the entire case is a conspiracy against their legitimacy.

They are like this little child, constantly reminding you that they don't care about your opinion and that they'll do whatever they want- but looking for validating themselves at every step.

lol, I don't know how offensive it is that I'm laughing at this, but yeah, wow. Kind of sad in a way.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 2:34:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Wait a minute, whod she lose to???
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 2:38:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/12/2013 2:34:18 PM, imabench wrote:
Wait a minute, whod she lose to???

Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW)

Kind of surprised they didn't split it--they've done it before.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 2:33:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Apparently, Malala won the Sakharov Prize, which is coincidentally awarded on the same day as the Nobel Prize. So I guess it wasn't a total loss. Of course, the Taliban will conveniently ignore this, though.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
LoopsEye
Posts: 120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 3:34:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
After the shooting she was flown to Britain for specialist care and made a remarkable :recovery, going on to become a global ambassador for children's rights.

Spokesman Shahidullah Shahid told AFP the 16-year-old had done nothing to deserve :the Nobel, which went to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons ( :OPCW) for its work to rid the world of chemical arms.

"We are delighted that she didn't get it. She did nothing big so it's good that she didn't :get it," Shahid said by telephone from an undisclosed location.

"This award should be given to the real Muslims who are struggling for Islam. Malala :is against Islam, she is secular."

Such a Shallow Statement can only utter by Lesser Mortals!

Well I believe "Taliban" is far away from the Teaching of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and the Contrast can be clearly seen..

Islam no where stops a Woman to progress, it only promotes the Modesty where woman is concern, We believe Woman is not "an Object of Entertianment" to be used as Dancer, In fact Muhammad(PUBH) 's first wife..

"Khadija"(ra) was a Successful Buisness Woman and was known for her Piety and dignified personality as "Tahira" meaning "The Pure One"

"Ayesha" the second wife of Muhammad(PBUH) was Islam's First and Most Prominent Scholar! above all men of society of that time and afterwards. She was the one who led an Army of 30,000 Men! (in The Battle of Camel)

and When it comes to Education we have clear cut teachings which promote women.

The only group of (so called Muslim) extremists that ban women from education are the "Taliban" group

"....Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know? It is those who are endued with understanding that receive admonition. (Quran, 39:9)"

"...Those truly fear God, among His Servants, who have knowledge: for God is Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving. (Quran, 35:28)"

Prophet Muhammad (P) said, "Seeking knowledge is mandatory for every Muslim, man an Woman'

In Islam we are obliged to Respect and Love our Parents even if they are Non-Muslims up to the Limit that they may not ask to commit any sin or do something Against the Teaching of Islam. So Taliban are Far more then Parents! They have no Right to do so!

These People are not at all following Islam/Muhammad and are going against a Major Part of Teaching of Islam..

as It comes in Quran

O you who believe! obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority from among you; then if you quarrel about anything, refer it to Allah and the Messenger, if you believe in Allah and the last day; this is better and very good in the end.
(Quran, 4:59)"

So clearly do not have any Authority to Ban Woman Education which Islam gave them 1500 years prior to them!

May God Al-Mighty Guide Them!
Skeptics: Any Question about Islam? --> http://www.debate.org...

No Foul Language, No Trolls in My Topics Give & Take Respect.

Muhammad(pbuh) married a Child? --> http://www.debate.org...
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 4:04:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Oh my god. One of the ex-Taliban members wrote a letter to Malala- and its pretty decent in explaining their viewpoint. In the way I actually understood where they came from. Ugh.

http://topinfopost.com...

"Miss Malala Yousafzai,

I am writing to you in my personal capacity this may not be the opinion or policy of Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan or other jihadi faction or group.
...

Taliban attacked you, was it islamically correct or wrong, or you were deserved to be killed or not, I will not go in this argument now, let"s we leave it to Allah All mighty, He is the best judge. Here I want to advise you as I am already late, I wish I would have advised u in my prison time and this accident would never happened. First of all please mind that Taliban never attacked you because of going to school or you were education lover, also please mind that Taliban or Mujahideen are not against the education of any men or women or girl. Taliban believe that you were intentionally writing against them and running a smearing campaign to malign their efforts to establish Islamic system in swat and your writings were provocative.

You have said in your speech yesterday that pen is mightier than sword, so they attacked you for your sword not for your books or school. There were thousands of girls who were going to school and college before and after the Taliban insurgency in swat, would you explain why were only you on their hit list???

Now to explain you the second point, why Taliban are blowing up schools? The answer to this questions in that not only Taliban in KPK or FATA are blowing up the schools but Pakistan Army and Frontier Constabulary is equally involved in this issue. The reason for this action is common between them that is turning of schools into hide outs and transit camps once it comes under control of either party Pakistan Army or Taliban.
...
Dozens of schools and colleges are being used by Pakistan Army and FC as their barracks in FATA, you can find out easily if you like. So when something sacred is turned lethal it needs to be eliminated this is the policy of Taliban.

Blowing up schools when they are not using strategically is not the Taliban job, some black sheep of local administration may be involved to extract more and more funds in the name of schools to fill their bank accounts.

Now I come to the main point that is EDUCATION, it is amazing that you are Shouting for education, you and the UNO is pretending that as you were shot due to education, although this is not the reason, be honest, not the education but your propaganda was the issue and what you are doing now, you are using your tongue on the behest of the others and you must know that if the pen is mightier than the sword then tongue is sharper and the injury of sword can be hailed but the injury of the tongue never hails and in the wars tongue is more destructive than any weapon.

I would like to share with you that Indian sub-continent was highly educated and almost every citizen was able to read or write before British invasion. Locals used to teach British officers Arabic, Hindi, Urdu and Persian. Almost every mosque was acting as school too and Muslim emperors used to spend a huge sum of money on education. Muslim India was rich in farming, silk, and jute and from textile industry to ship building. No poverty, no crises and no clashes of civilization or religion. Because the education system was based on noble thoughts and noble curriculum.

I want to draw your attention to an extract from the minute written by Sir T.B Macaulay to British parliament dated 2nd February 1835 about what type of education system is required in Indian sub-continent to replace the Muslim education system. He stated "We must at present do our best to form a class who may be interpreters between us and the millions whom we govern, "a class of persons Indian in blood and color, but English in tastes, in opinions, in morals and in intellect" This was and this is the plan and mission of this so called education system for which you are ready to die, for which UNO takes you to their office to produce more and more Asians in blood but English in taste, to produce more and more Africans in color but English in opinion, to produce more and more non English people but English in morale. This so called education made Obama, the mass murder, your ideal. isn"t it?

Why they want to make all human beings English? because Englishmen are the staunch supporters and slaves of Jews. Do you know Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, the founder and symbol of English education in India was a freemasons.

You say a teacher, a pen and a book can change the world, yes I agree with, but which teacher which pen and which book? It is to be specified, Prophet Muhammad Peace be upon him said I am sent as a teacher, and the book He sent to teach is Quran. So a noble and pious teacher with prophetic curriculum can change the world not with satanic or secular curriculum.

You have given the example that once a journalist asked a student that why a talib afraid of this education he replied a talib didn"t know what was in this book. The same I say to you and through you to whole world that why they afraid from the book of Allah because they don"t know what is in it. Taliban want to implement what is in the book of ALLAH and UNO want to implement what they have in man-made books. We want to connect the world to their creator through the book of Allah and UNO want to enslave the world to few evil creatures.

You have talk about justice and equality from the stage of and unjust institution, the place where you were standing uttering for justice and equality, all the nations are not equal there, only five wicked states have the veto power and rest of them are powerless, dozens of time when all the world untied against the Israel only one veto was enough to press the throat of justice."

Contd.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 4:05:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
"The place you were speaking to the world is heading towards new world order, I want to know what is wrong the old world order? They want to establish global education, global economy, global army, global trade, global government and finally global religion. I want to know is there any space for the prophetic guidance in all above global plans? Is there any space for Islamic sharia or Islamic law to which UN call inhumane and barbaric? You have talk about attack on polio team, would you explain why the then American foreign secretary of state Henry Kissinger, a Jew, said in 1973 to reduce the third world population by 80%. Why the sterilization and eugenics programs are running in different countries in one way or another under the umbrella of UNO. More than 1 million Muslim women have been sterilized in Uzbekistan forcibly without their consent. Bertrand Russell writes in his book the impact of science on society, "diet, injections and injunctions will combine, from a very early age, to produce the sort of character and sort of beliefs that the authorities consider desirable and any serious criticism of power that be will become psychologically impossible". This is why we have the reservation on so called polio vaccination program.

You say Malala day is not your day it is the day of every person who has raised voice for their rights, I ask you why such a day in not assigned to Rachel Corrie, only because the bulldozer was Israeli? Why such a day in not assigned to AffiaSiddique because the buyers are Americans? Why such day is not assigned to Faizan and Faheem because the killer was Raymond Davis? Why such a day in not assigned to those16 innocent afghan women and children who were shot dead by an American Robert Belas because he was not a talib. I ask you and be honest in reply, if you were shot but Americans in a drone attack, would world have ever heard updates on your medical status? Would you be called "daughter of the nation? Would the media make a fuss about you? Would General Kiyani have come to visit you and would the world media be constantly reporting on you? Would you were called to UN? Would a Malala day be announced?

More than 300 innocent women and children have been killed in drones attacks but who cares because attackers are highly educated, non-violent, peaceful Americans.

I wish, the compassion you learnt from Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him should be learnt by Pakistan Army so they could stop shedding of Muslim blood in FATA and Baluchistan. I wish, the compassion you learnt from Prophet Jesus should be learnt by USA and NATO so they should stop shedding blood of innocent Muslims across the world and I wish the same for followers of Buddha to stop killing of innocent unarmed Muslims in Burma, and Sri Lanka and wish the same for Indian army to follow Gandhi jee and stop genocide in Kashmir, And yes, The followers of bacha khan, the ANP has an example of non-violence in their five years regime in KPK province, for example Swat, where a single shot was not fired and we witnessed the followers of bacha khan implemented the philosophy of nonviolence in its true soul, with support of jets, tanks and gunships.

At the end I advise you to come back home, adopt the Islamic and pushtoon culture, join any female Islamic madrassa near your home town, study and learn the book of Allah, use your pen for Islam and plight of Muslim ummah and reveal the conspiracy of tiny elite who want to enslave the whole humanity for their evil agendas in the name of new world order.

All praises to Allah the creator of the Universe."
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 2:45:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ok, so I read this letter from Taliban commander Adnan Rasheed; it was certainly much more in line in both tone and content with what I originally expected a "proper" Taliban response would have been to the Nobel news. I'm curious as to what you agreed with about it.

I'm tempted to ask rross to view this thread too since she's been to India and has interest in these kind of topics, but we're currently ripping each other's faces off in another thread, so I will simply make a note of that.

Regardless, here are my observations.

1) He makes the point that pre-British Indian education was different and implies (but does not directly state) that education was universal. Is this true, and did it apply to women?

2) He makes the point that there are plenty of women being educated in schools and that Malala was singled out due to "propaganda", and that the Taliban does not have a problem with educating women. Is this true?

3) The rabid anti-semitism was difficult to ignore.

4) About the anti-polio vaccine campaign, he brings up a lot of UN atrocities and Kissinger's advocacy of genocide ("depopulation" was what I was able to find in the internet). I don't see how any of his points were relevant to the Taliban's specific campaign against UN administration of polio vaccines, although I do not know of the details of this campaign.

5) On a separate and somewhat less relevant note, I liked his rhetorical style.

---

Overall, I thought it was interesting. He makes a much more believable and realistic assessment than the simple sound-byte that "the Taliban believes women should not go to school". Still, there is the evident cultural bias, which calls into question the veracity of points especially like #1 above. I do believe most cultures and societies in the world did not bother/were unable to afford to educate women pre-Industrial revolution, to include European societies, so I don't see his point about pre-British India being so much more enlightened as having any real validity. Sure, the British tried to acculturate India to British norms, no question, and of course there is going to be cultural backlash. But, is he really saying that under British rule, India somehow experienced a regression in literacy rates, as implied in the following statement?

"Indian sub-continent was highly educated and almost every citizen was able to read or write before British invasion."

I find that difficult to believe.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 12:37:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 2:45:39 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
I'm curious as to what you agreed with about it.

I don't agree with it. I believe we need to be exposed to this kind of perspective in order to not brainwash an entire generation of people. We need to *understand* them in order to develop the appropriate tool to counter them. (I'm almost tempted to say Pacifism, but I'm going to not open that can :P)

In fact, I put a comment on there, which I'm going to copy paste to explain my perspective.

"I think the reason why people are so OMGMINDBLOWN with the letter is because they can finally see what exactly drives these people. Does it really change things though? Most, if not all, of the letter is a unhealthy mixture of paranoia, hatred and misogyny. And misinformation. India was *rich* under the Mughal rule, and that translates to the fact that the kings were rich, not the people.

Education, for another, is a dynamic field. Restricting a specific type of education isn't really progressive on anyone's part. The very fact that you have to use force to ensure people enroll in your system of education speaks volumes about the quality.

You don't, or rather, a legitimate entity doesn't kill people because people made a wrong choice.

And much of the propaganda in the letter is just bollocks. I sincerely don't understand why people give so much importance to the views of the western world. THEY don't think Rachael Carrie deserves her own holiday, you can't force them to. Do YOU believe that every human who has been a victim of injustice should be valued the same? If you do, celebrate her. No one's stopping you.

But at the end of the day you are responsible for your own actions. Yes, the 'developed world' has its own lens of viewing things and yes, so does the Islam world, but I can't understand how this justifies the attempted killing.

THIS is a good attempt. This is civil. The shooting was not. And when people refuse to speak up against the shooting because they *understand* why someone did that, that sets the society decades back.

If the Taliban wants to be viewed as a humane organization, they need to put down their guns and pick up a pen.

Stop killing because people make choices."

1) He makes the point that pre-British Indian education was different and implies (but does not directly state) that education was universal. Is this true, and did it apply to women?

He's talking about the Mughal rule. They were Muslims and very influential. I'm not sure, but I believe that is more propaganda. There is no way to measure, certainly. India was all divided and stuff. The interesting thing though was that education was a voluntary organization then, and there WAS a huge importance attached to it. 100% proficiency is more than likely propaganda though.

Also, yes, a surprisin amount of focus was put on female education. There were a lot of female scholars and teachers and doctors too.

2) He makes the point that there are plenty of women being educated in schools and that Malala was singled out due to "propaganda", and that the Taliban does not have a problem with educating women. Is this true?

Yeah, true. I researched. They want them to be educated according to the Muslim scriptures. The Muslim way of education.

3) The rabid anti-semitism was difficult to ignore.

4) About the anti-polio vaccine campaign, he brings up a lot of UN atrocities and Kissinger's advocacy of genocide ("depopulation" was what I was able to find in the internet). I don't see how any of his points were relevant to the Taliban's specific campaign against UN administration of polio vaccines, although I do not know of the details of this campaign.

I thought that portion reeked of paranoia. I hope they don't actually believe that UN is carrying out this huge conspiracy to kill them off using polio vaccines. Because that's just sad.

5) On a separate and somewhat less relevant note, I liked his rhetorical style.

---

Overall, I thought it was interesting. He makes a much more believable and realistic assessment than the simple sound-byte that "the Taliban believes women should not go to school". Still, there is the evident cultural bias, which calls into question the veracity of points especially like #1 above. I do believe most cultures and societies in the world did not bother/were unable to afford to educate women pre-Industrial revolution, to include European societies, so I don't see his point about pre-British India being so much more enlightened as having any real validity. Sure, the British tried to acculturate India to British norms, no question, and of course there is going to be cultural backlash. But, is he really saying that under British rule, India somehow experienced a regression in literacy rates, as implied in the following statement?

"Indian sub-continent was highly educated and almost every citizen was able to read or write before British invasion."

I find that difficult to believe.

Dunno. As I said, it is difficult to quantify, we didn't have census back then. Also, a king was responsible for his empire, there was no way to measure how all the kings in the entirety of the subcontinent were doing. There WAS however, an appropriate focus on education, to be fair. As long as they enrolled in Muslim education centers.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 1:50:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2013 12:37:36 PM, Cermank wrote:

I don't agree with it. I believe we need to be exposed to this kind of perspective in order to not brainwash an entire generation of people. We need to *understand* them in order to develop the appropriate tool to counter them. (I'm almost tempted to say Pacifism, but I'm going to not open that can :P)

In fact, I put a comment on there, which I'm going to copy paste to explain my perspective.
[etc]...

Wow. I agreed with all of this. I think that surprises me because it seems I have major disagreements currently with every person I am interacting with on this website, so I was surprised I agreed with anyone on anything, let alone a large post like this, lol.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 3:34:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/15/2013 1:50:06 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 10/15/2013 12:37:36 PM, Cermank wrote:

I don't agree with it. I believe we need to be exposed to this kind of perspective in order to not brainwash an entire generation of people. We need to *understand* them in order to develop the appropriate tool to counter them. (I'm almost tempted to say Pacifism, but I'm going to not open that can :P)

In fact, I put a comment on there, which I'm going to copy paste to explain my perspective.
[etc]...

Wow. I agreed with all of this. I think that surprises me because it seems I have major disagreements currently with every person I am interacting with on this website, so I was surprised I agreed with anyone on anything, let alone a large post like this, lol.

Lol. Disagreements are the social lubricant of DDO.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 4:35:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hmm...quotes from this CNN piece would corroborate the fears of the Taliban commander:

http://www.cnn.com...

Gordon Brown, the U.N. special envoy on global education, blasted Rashid's letter.

"Nobody will believe a word the Taliban say about the right of girls like Malala to go to school until they stop burning down schools and stop massacring pupils," he said in a statement released Wednesday.


This sounds almost as propagandistic in the opposite direction as the Taliban piece.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 4:36:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Oh, and what prompted my post is the recent visit to the queen Malala made:

http://www.cnn.com...

She's quite the showpiece, I must say.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 4:53:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/11/2013 2:32:50 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Please don't forget the source. =)
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

As it is, I'm surprised by two things:

1) That the Taliban actually care what the Nobel committee does. The mere fact that they care IMHO weakens their ostensible cause to forward Muslim religious interests, as the Nobel committee is also "secular".

This points to either a contradiction in their ideology, or some blatant manipulation of their message by someone, somewhere.

2) I'm surprised anyone cares what the Nobel committee does regarding peace after Obama won it. Obama has followed the Bush Doctrine very closely.

I stopped caring once Arafat was nominated.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 7:54:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/20/2013 4:53:25 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 10/11/2013 2:32:50 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Please don't forget the source. =)
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

As it is, I'm surprised by two things:

1) That the Taliban actually care what the Nobel committee does. The mere fact that they care IMHO weakens their ostensible cause to forward Muslim religious interests, as the Nobel committee is also "secular".

This points to either a contradiction in their ideology, or some blatant manipulation of their message by someone, somewhere.

2) I'm surprised anyone cares what the Nobel committee does regarding peace after Obama won it. Obama has followed the Bush Doctrine very closely.

I stopped caring once Arafat was nominated.

fair enough. =)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 8:18:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/20/2013 7:54:32 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 10/20/2013 4:53:25 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 10/11/2013 2:32:50 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
Please don't forget the source. =)
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

As it is, I'm surprised by two things:

1) That the Taliban actually care what the Nobel committee does. The mere fact that they care IMHO weakens their ostensible cause to forward Muslim religious interests, as the Nobel committee is also "secular".

This points to either a contradiction in their ideology, or some blatant manipulation of their message by someone, somewhere.

2) I'm surprised anyone cares what the Nobel committee does regarding peace after Obama won it. Obama has followed the Bush Doctrine very closely.

I stopped caring once Arafat was nominated.

fair enough. =)

I had a joke among Israeli friends that Arafat should have been nominated for a nobel prize in avionics.