Total Posts:102|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The FVCK is wrong with the kids these days?

YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 6:28:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://usnews.nbcnews.com...

"14-year-old Danvers student charged with teacher's murder based on video, statement"

"Massachusetts police say they linked a 14-year-old high-school student to the murder of math teacher Colleen Ritzer through video surveillance " and his own words.
Philip Chism, a freshman at Danvers High School, was charged as an adult with first-degree murder. He was ordered held without bail at a Wednesday afternoon arraignment in Salem, Mass. A criminal complaint states authorities "learned from an interview of the juvenile suspect and video surveillance recovered at the school" that the suspect assaulted and killed Ritzer and then dumped her body."

And there's more...

"Jonathan Blodgett, the Essex County district attorney, told reporters that it was a "terrible tragedy." "She was a very, very respected, loved teacher," he said. Before Wednesday night's World Series game, Fenway Park was to observe a moment of silence for Ritzer " who was described by her students as upbeat, enthusiastic and kind. Chism had recently moved to Danvers from Tennessee and was new to the school. He had a spot on the junior varsity soccer squad. He was reported missing Tuesday when he didn't come home from school, and other Danvers students joined the hunt for him. At about 11:20 p.m. that night, police learned that Ritzer was missing. Her body was found in the woods, and Chism was picked up while walking along a highway soon after. "Based on his statements and the corroborating evidence found at multiple scenes at the Danvers High School and surrounding wooded area, [he] was subsequently placed into custody and booked for murder," the complaint says. Danvers senior Mitchell Bussone, 17, was among those who went looking for Chism on Tuesday night. "We thought something bad had happened to him," he said. When he turned on the TV this morning and learned that the boy he knew from soccer and gym class had been found and was suspected of killing Ritzer, he was in "disbelief." "What went through my head was how could this happen? That"s what everyone is asking." Though he did not know Chism well, he said there was no sign he was troubled.
"A lot of us welcomed him in. He fit in and we liked him. He seemed like a normal kid," he said. Public schools in Danvers were closed for the day. Students were expected to gather Wednesday night for a candlelight vigil on campus."

tl'dr 14 year old kid charged with killing teacher in MA.

What. The. Actual. Fvck.
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 6:36:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Did you hear about the girl in NC who hit 2 cops and drove off before running into the woods?
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 6:39:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/23/2013 6:36:50 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
Did you hear about the girl in NC who hit 2 cops and drove off before running into the woods?

The fvcking fvck...
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 6:40:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/23/2013 6:39:47 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/23/2013 6:36:50 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
Did you hear about the girl in NC who hit 2 cops and drove off before running into the woods?

The fvcking fvck...

Yep
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 6:44:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/23/2013 6:39:47 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/23/2013 6:36:50 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
Did you hear about the girl in NC who hit 2 cops and drove off before running into the woods?

The fvcking fvck...

I can thank local news for that info (don't worry i'm not like some of the dumb@sses in my state.)
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
NotReallySmart
Posts: 212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 9:09:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Kids - no teenagers - are generally messed up these days, so you have to be careful of me......

I might just do.....
something........
soon...........
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love."

- Bernard of Clairvaux
NotReallySmart
Posts: 212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 10:10:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/25/2013 9:28:52 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
This case is definitely representative of kids and not some freak incident.

It's actually really difficult for me to decide wether your statement was sarcastic or not, but I'll keep think it was a sarcastic one until you expound on the statement you made.
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love."

- Bernard of Clairvaux
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 4:04:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/25/2013 10:10:05 AM, NotReallySmart wrote:
At 10/25/2013 9:28:52 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
This case is definitely representative of kids and not some freak incident.

It's actually really difficult for me to decide wether your statement was sarcastic or not, but I'll keep think it was a sarcastic one until you expound on the statement you made.

I totally wasn't being sarcastic. Not at all.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:11:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.masslive.com...

This is the sort of stuff I'm talking about where kids can't trust themselves. This is the sort of stuff I'm talking about where religion has taken the reins of education in a most insidious and twisted manner. This seems to me half profound statement (that he chose a teacher), half self-investigation. I'd say my story of getting with that girl when I was 15, cheating on her and then leaving school isn't actually a far cry from this, but that this dude was so utterly tormented by his experiences and couldn't control them as I did. I have a habit of drawing to block everything else out, helps me actually listen to the teacher in classes. Still think communism is just an intellectual fetish, YYW?
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 5:25:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
To be frank, this is representative of everyone. Every single person. It's just some can't go through life asleep always, just acting on those first frightened instincts to survive.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:00:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Yeah... I know. Why are kids so stupid nowadays? I mean, if you want to commit a murder by the highway, don't be found by somebody on the highway after the murder.

Murder 101, people.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:03:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ah yes, this clearly is another sign at how horrible teenagers these days are, and how much better older people were when they were our age.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:34:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/26/2013 8:03:26 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Ah yes, this clearly is another sign at how horrible teenagers these days are, and how much better older people were when they were our age.

Well people are becoming further and further divided. I'd say that might increase f*cked-up-ness. I mean, take the song We Are Young by Fun; I think it paints a rather clear picture of the mentality that's being fostered in us: that to be friends with someone is to more or less sabotage yourself. "My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire States", " I've found someone to carry me home tonight", etc. - it all rings of self-sabotage for others, ominous pillars of capitalism made reference to as explanation, whether purposeful or not. I mean, everyone was just f*cked together back in the day, or that's how it was in Ireland anyway.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:40:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Everyone's talking about owning the night because the day is just too much to cope with maybe?
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:44:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I actually know quite a few people who take a whole lot of sanity from getting absolute twisted drunk and being looked after and that's pretty sad.
NotReallySmart
Posts: 212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 1:15:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/25/2013 4:04:06 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 10/25/2013 10:10:05 AM, NotReallySmart wrote:
At 10/25/2013 9:28:52 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
This case is definitely representative of kids and not some freak incident.

It's actually really difficult for me to decide wether your statement was sarcastic or not, but I'll keep think it was a sarcastic one until you expound on the statement you made.

I totally wasn't being sarcastic. Not at all.

I'll take your word for it, although upon reading it, it sounded alot like sarcasm.
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love."

- Bernard of Clairvaux
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 1:31:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/26/2013 8:34:16 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 10/26/2013 8:03:26 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Ah yes, this clearly is another sign at how horrible teenagers these days are, and how much better older people were when they were our age.

Well people are becoming further and further divided. I'd say that might increase f*cked-up-ness. I mean, take the song We Are Young by Fun; I think it paints a rather clear picture of the mentality that's being fostered in us: that to be friends with someone is to more or less sabotage yourself. "My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire States", " I've found someone to carry me home tonight", etc. - it all rings of self-sabotage for others, ominous pillars of capitalism made reference to as explanation, whether purposeful or not. I mean, everyone was just f*cked together back in the day, or that's how it was in Ireland anyway.

I was actually discussing the lyrics to that song at work just the other day. It seems to me that the song is about a couple in a dysfunctional relationship, and that rather than discuss the issues they are having, they instead say 'to hell with it, let's go have fun'. I think your analysis is mostly correct (though I don't hear anything about capitalism and I'd lean more to saying it's talking about the issues of codependency) as it relates to the song and current culture and many individuals mentality. What I'm not certain of is whether that is something unique to this generation, and at all worse than the previous. People have been self-destructive for a long time, we just seem to know more about it now with regards to the incidences and the psychology behind it. It also seems like the consequences of that can be far more dramatic (in it's publicity and results) these days.
Debate.org Moderator
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Posts: 1,040
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 1:54:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago

tl'dr 14 year old kid charged with killing teacher in MA.

I'm a freshman, and I don't kill my teachers. It is kind of stereotyping isn't it? I'm sure at least one teacher was murdered by his or her student when you were a child. Just saying.
I'm so fancy, you already know.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 2:06:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/27/2013 1:54:10 AM, SPENCERJOYAGE14 wrote:

tl'dr 14 year old kid charged with killing teacher in MA.

I'm a freshman, and I don't kill my teachers. It is kind of stereotyping isn't it? I'm sure at least one teacher was murdered by his or her student when you were a child. Just saying.

I don't believe the OP was implying that there is something inherently wrong with children, simply that they seem more likely to do insane things these days, and perhaps that there is something wrong with a significant enough number of them. We can all agree that there are far more children that don't kill their teachers though.
Debate.org Moderator
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Posts: 1,040
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 2:08:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't believe the OP was implying that there is something inherently wrong with children, simply that they seem more likely to do insane things these days, and perhaps that there is something wrong with a significant enough number of them. We can all agree that there are far more children that don't kill their teachers though.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I just thought it was a, "what is wrong with children" in general.
I'm so fancy, you already know.
makhdoom5
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 3:46:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
sad.
they need help to rehabilitate.
may be not getting much care from their parents.
or may be not have parents.
things are getting worst.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 4:25:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
People, old and young, seem to have too large a sense of entitlement nowadays. I think that is the problem's root cause.
My work here is, finally, done.
AnDoctuir
Posts: 11,060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 8:20:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/27/2013 1:31:09 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 10/26/2013 8:34:16 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 10/26/2013 8:03:26 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Ah yes, this clearly is another sign at how horrible teenagers these days are, and how much better older people were when they were our age.

Well people are becoming further and further divided. I'd say that might increase f*cked-up-ness. I mean, take the song We Are Young by Fun; I think it paints a rather clear picture of the mentality that's being fostered in us: that to be friends with someone is to more or less sabotage yourself. "My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire States", " I've found someone to carry me home tonight", etc. - it all rings of self-sabotage for others, ominous pillars of capitalism made reference to as explanation, whether purposeful or not. I mean, everyone was just f*cked together back in the day, or that's how it was in Ireland anyway.

I was actually discussing the lyrics to that song at work just the other day. It seems to me that the song is about a couple in a dysfunctional relationship, and that rather than discuss the issues they are having, they instead say 'to hell with it, let's go have fun'. I think your analysis is mostly correct (though I don't hear anything about capitalism and I'd lean more to saying it's talking about the issues of codependency) as it relates to the song and current culture and many individuals mentality. What I'm not certain of is whether that is something unique to this generation, and at all worse than the previous. People have been self-destructive for a long time, we just seem to know more about it now with regards to the incidences and the psychology behind it. It also seems like the consequences of that can be far more dramatic (in it's publicity and results) these days.

Meh. Burn brighter than the Sun, HIgher than the Empire States. There's an ominousness to both definitely. And then consider the song Some Nights which really backs up what I'm saying, but I guess puts a purposefulness to the ominousness of those references in We Are Young. There's a touch of Albert Camus' absurdity to it, I think, but a bid to conquer it, too. Fair enough about people's being self-destructive always, though. Maybe. But then when I've listened to my grandparents tell stories of their growing up, they were much simpler stories, speaking of a place which fostered a much greater togetherness. My grandmother's always remarking that we don't even know our neighbours anymore, whereas in the past everyone worked together in everything, it was all very communistic, the farming, the turf-cutting, etc. I definitely see a touch of the alcoholic's feelings of inadequacy touching society in other ways too, a feeling of separation met head on in self-sabotaging and being helped. It's all pretty mental, dude, and easily reconcilable with "industrial progression". And then consider the ecstacy culture, too. Anything to feel love or loved, eh?
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 9:47:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/27/2013 8:20:49 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 10/27/2013 1:31:09 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 10/26/2013 8:34:16 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 10/26/2013 8:03:26 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Ah yes, this clearly is another sign at how horrible teenagers these days are, and how much better older people were when they were our age.

Well people are becoming further and further divided. I'd say that might increase f*cked-up-ness. I mean, take the song We Are Young by Fun; I think it paints a rather clear picture of the mentality that's being fostered in us: that to be friends with someone is to more or less sabotage yourself. "My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire States", " I've found someone to carry me home tonight", etc. - it all rings of self-sabotage for others, ominous pillars of capitalism made reference to as explanation, whether purposeful or not. I mean, everyone was just f*cked together back in the day, or that's how it was in Ireland anyway.

I was actually discussing the lyrics to that song at work just the other day. It seems to me that the song is about a couple in a dysfunctional relationship, and that rather than discuss the issues they are having, they instead say 'to hell with it, let's go have fun'. I think your analysis is mostly correct (though I don't hear anything about capitalism and I'd lean more to saying it's talking about the issues of codependency) as it relates to the song and current culture and many individuals mentality. What I'm not certain of is whether that is something unique to this generation, and at all worse than the previous. People have been self-destructive for a long time, we just seem to know more about it now with regards to the incidences and the psychology behind it. It also seems like the consequences of that can be far more dramatic (in it's publicity and results) these days.

Meh. Burn brighter than the Sun, HIgher than the Empire States. There's an ominousness to both definitely. And then consider the song Some Nights which really backs up what I'm saying, but I guess puts a purposefulness to the ominousness of those references in We Are Young. There's a touch of Albert Camus' absurdity to it, I think, but a bid to conquer it, too. Fair enough about people's being self-destructive always, though. Maybe. But then when I've listened to my grandparents tell stories of their growing up, they were much simpler stories, speaking of a place which fostered a much greater togetherness. My grandmother's always remarking that we don't even know our neighbours anymore, whereas in the past everyone worked together in everything, it was all very communistic, the farming, the turf-cutting, etc. I definitely see a touch of the alcoholic's feelings of inadequacy touching society in other ways too, a feeling of separation met head on in self-sabotaging and being helped. It's all pretty mental, dude, and easily reconcilable with "industrial progression". And then consider the ecstacy culture, too. Anything to feel love or loved, eh?

I don't think we are really disagreeing here, just perhaps on the specifics.

"Burn brighter than the Sun, HIgher than the Empire States. There's an ominousness to both definitely."

There certainly is. The song details a relationship in which the guy references his friends who are getting high in the bathroom, while he needs to go apologize to his lover who he beat up months ago. And even in his half-hearted attempt to still apologize for it, he essentially tells her to forget about (and she wants to anyway) because she needs him to carry her home after a night of partying. Partying they'd rather do than discuss the co-dependent and self destructive nature of their relationship. "We are young", so let's have fun and deal with our self-destructiveness later. The fact that the song is so upbeat in relating this is why I think it's so interesting.

"And then consider the song Some Nights which really backs up what I'm saying"

I think there's some justification at looking at another song, and this one deals with the nature of someone who is self-actualizing acting destructively. "What do I stand for". "I try twice as hard and I'm half as liked". So he's really uncertain of how to define himself, but he's trying while in a relationship with someone who helps him forget his problems.

I think the best way it connects to We are young is in the next lines,

"I found a martyr in my bed tonight, she stops my bones from wondering just who I am".

So his relationship with someone willing to be self-destructive, allows him to ignore nagging questions he has for himself.

So to tie this back to the topic, people are self-destructive, and it's a part of the human condition. A healthy person recognizes their problems and deals with them.

I think the further story you relate is dependent on the individual (whether they grow up in a big city, or a small town etc) but it is becoming more common (at least in the US) for people to be more likely to live in cities. This does have a way of causing what you mentioned and there are a lot of other reasons for this as well. There's a lot more stimulus children deal with (both positive and negative), parents that are both more likely to be working full time, and other aspects of society that certainly aren't beneficial. I really couldn't say if kids are more violent these days without seeing data on it, but I'm sure all of the negative aspects of modern have some kind of effect. I don't necessarily buy any kind of communistic cure being the answer, but kids do likely have more pressure on them nowadays, with parents who are less available to them. With instant media access to these types of stories that seem to be happening more often and in more dramatic fashion, and it equals the types of things we are seeing.
Debate.org Moderator