Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 1:08:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/4/2010 12:11:14 AM, Puck wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk...

Still haven't got over it. >.<

That's an over-generalization. The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful, and blah, blah, blah, you've heard this before.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 1:25:27 AM
At 1/4/2010 1:08:37 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 1/4/2010 12:11:14 AM, Puck wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk...

Still haven't got over it. >.<

That's an over-generalization. The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful, and blah, blah, blah, you've heard this before.

I don't recall making a global claim, nor stupid enough to believe in one in this case. Give me more credit than that. :P Fact remains however there are populations where this applies, that is all.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 1:30:50 AM
It simply amazes me that people are still freaking out over these cartoons. Sure they were offensive, but you would think people would get over it after five years have passed.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 11:48:24 PM
At 1/4/2010 1:30:50 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
It simply amazes me that people are still freaking out over these cartoons. Sure they were offensive, but you would think people would get over it after five years have passed.

In what way were they "offensive"?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:00:01 AM
At 1/6/2010 11:48:24 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

They wouldn't be to you and I, the image of Mohamed is banned however under Islam.

http://www.zombietime.com...

May run a debate about it soon.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:11:37 AM
At 1/7/2010 12:00:01 AM, Puck wrote:

They wouldn't be to you and I, the image of Mohamed is banned however under Islam.

I realise that, I was hoping more for a conversation on the nature of this phenomenon we call "offensiveness". I honestly don't believe I've ever been offended. I was quite fat when I was a kid, and when people called me fat, it sucked, it hurt my feelings, and so forth. I've certainly felt bad from words people have said about me personally.

But I don't for the life of me understand these people who get offended by particular words (c*nt for example) or particular things (pictures of some old dude named Mohammad) which have nothing to do with them personally. It's my contention that the only way something can become offensive is if the offended has been TAUGHT to be offended by it. Is it really an emotion, then, if it's been taught?

Chicks act offended by the word c*nt, and I believe that's only because they've been told they SHOULD be "offended" by it. That word, apparently, is offensive to women, despite when it isn't used to refer to the woman or her vagina, which as you know is quite common in Australia.

This is how I like to put it.... If the word "c*nt" is itself offensive, the sound of the word, then people should also be offended by the word "country". If it is what is being alluded to which is offensive, then people should be offended by the word "vagina" equally as much. Who or what gives that particular word the power to "offend" people, again, whatever that means.

I'm sorry I went off on a bit of a rant here but it's something which has intrigued me for a while now and this seemed like a good time to get it out.

http://www.zombietime.com...

May run a debate about it soon.

What would the resolution be?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:14:20 AM
At 1/7/2010 12:11:37 AM, leet4A1 wrote:

Something along the lines of they should not have published. There were plenty of supporters against the publication outside the Islamic community (including the Pope at the time). It would be interesting to see if the same view is still held 4 years on.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:20:13 AM
At 1/7/2010 12:14:20 AM, Puck wrote:

Something along the lines of they should not have published. There were plenty of supporters against the publication outside the Islamic community (including the Pope at the time). It would be interesting to see if the same view is still held 4 years on.

Yeah I don't know how I feel about that. If you're asking whether or not they should have been allowed to publish, I'm all for it... I believe anyone should be allowed to say whatever they want, about whoever they want, whenever they want.

But if you're asking whether or not they SHOULD have published in this instance (which I believe you are), I'm probably against it because the benefits were far outweighed by the negatives which arose.

Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 12:39:50 AM
At 1/7/2010 12:20:13 AM, leet4A1 wrote:
At 1/7/2010 12:14:20 AM, Puck wrote:

But if you're asking whether or not they SHOULD have published in this instance (which I believe you are), I'm probably against it because the benefits were far outweighed by the negatives which arose.

Eh, I would have to word the resolution negatively (should not) since saying they should implies some imperative to actually do so. No such imperative existed, so the issue is less should they have and more they should not have.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 1:10:43 AM

*points to religious views*
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 1:25:23 AM
At 1/7/2010 1:10:43 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

*points to religious views*

And?

Again, I was hoping more for a conversation on the nature of this phenomenon commonly known as offensiveness. What it was about the cartoons which offended you so? What did it feel like to see the cartoons (what does it feel like to be offended)? Why do you think the cartoons "offended" you?