Jump to topic:

What a snowy swizz!

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 6:22:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The whole of Britain is blanketed in thick snow. That is except central London where I live and work. What a swizz!

So while most people are out having fun making snowmen, throwing snowballs at old ladies or pulling handbrake turns in their cars, I'm sat here in the office working.

What's worse is that because I live the closest, I volunteered to open the office at 7.30am this morning. Now it's started to snow heavily again and one of my female colleagues is panicking and making arrangements to leave early - and those arrangements no doubt involve asking me to stay until 6pm to close the office for her.

But you know the real swizz is that the hotels in central London are filling up fast and are doubling their rates on an hourly basis in order to cash in the sudden demand from stranded office workers. In other words, they are making money out of other people's misfortune. Oh well, that's capitalism for you, I suppose.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 6:25:30 AM
At 1/6/2010 6:22:34 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Oh well, that's capitalism for you, I suppose.

No doubt there are homeless shelters you could apply to..
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 8:00:05 AM
But you know the real swizz is that the hotels in central London are filling up fast and are doubling their rates on an hourly basis in order to cash in the sudden demand from stranded office workers. In other words, they are making money out of other people's misfortune. Oh well, that's capitalism for you, I suppose.

There are so many economic fallacies in this, but whatever. You just keep on believing that if people didn't make money off of other people's miseries, everyone would be in happy land.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 11:59:56 AM
Oh well, that's capitalism for you, I suppose.

"'Need' now means wanting someone else's money. 'Greed' means wanting to keep your own. "Compassion" is when a politician arranges the transfer."
~Joseph Sobran

Oh well, that's global warming for you, I suppose.

That would have been more appropriate. :)
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 6:20:33 PM
In central Texas here, We had a few half-hour snow-flurries one day a couple of weeks ago. The snowflakes all melted instantaneously upon touching the ground and you would have never known that it snowed for the first time in 2 years or so (real snow, not sleet or puddles of water that turn into ice). Magical.

It will freeze thursday-night. That is also mind-blowing. It's like a volcano is going to erupt, except with water freezing instead.