Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:30:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.cbc.ca...

The French just had one.

Never in my life have I heard something as stupid as "Tax Google." This goes against any sense of fiscal right and wrong. Its a ploy to prop up the music industry with the help of that semi-dictatorship we call the French government. Bah, words can't describe how stupid this seems to me.

Anyone agree?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:35:05 PM
At 1/7/2010 2:33:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
How the hell is it Googles fault?

I don't know. It makes no sense.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:37:52 PM
At 1/7/2010 2:35:05 PM, Volkov wrote:

I don't know. It makes no sense.

"What? free music sites? Let's help the music industry.....By slapping taxes on a search engine which has no direct correlation to the sites, and in fact helps us by respecting music rights on their website Youtube!" - France

Seriously, all it takes is hire some freelance computer hackes to hack the sites, or cooperating with countries to have them taken down.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 2:41:10 PM

I can see the point against Google Books made at the end of the article: "Last month, a French judge ruled that the U.S. internet search giant must pay the equivalent of $458,000 in damages and interest to French publisher La Martinière for unauthorized reproduction of the latter's copyrighted works without compensation. Google was also ordered to pay $15,275 per day until it removes extracts of the French books from its online Google Books database."

Is that what the entire article is about or do they just mean Google itself (i.e. the search engine)? It's never really made clear.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 3:20:43 PM
Here's an article I think sheds a bit more light on the issue:

http://money.ninemsn.com.au...
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 4:27:54 PM

Blame the pirate bay for that one. They argued that anyone could download torrents from google.
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 5:26:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the French have no grounds to tax Google; it's an American-based company.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 11:31:32 PM
At 1/7/2010 5:26:27 PM, GeorgeCarlinWorshipper wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the French have no grounds to tax Google; it's an American-based company.

Every nation can tax any company that does business on their soil. It matters not the base of the company. Tarriffs are a good example.

Not that I advocate it, I'm just saying there is precedence.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 7:18:59 AM
This tax is made of sadness and fail.

The music industry is just butthurt because people found a way to buy one CD and distribute it to a thousand people.

As if people couldnt and didnt do that, even before Torrents or P2P was common. Its called "Can i borrow your CD and copy it?"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 8:35:46 AM
At 1/8/2010 7:18:59 AM, tkubok wrote:

The music industry is just butthurt because people found a way to buy one CD and distribute it to a thousand people.

As if people couldnt and didnt do that, even before Torrents or P2P was common. Its called "Can i borrow your CD and copy it?"

And before that taping things from the radio.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 8:42:44 AM
At 1/8/2010 8:35:46 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/8/2010 7:18:59 AM, tkubok wrote:

And before that taping things from the radio.

Yeah, i remember Universal tried to sue Sony for making the Beta Tape recording device, and lost miserably, because anything that airs on TV and is recorded, is fair play as it is publicly shown.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 8:40:53 PM
You know, when you look at why France is doing what it's doing, it's not so bad ... the problem is what France is doing. They need to find a way to get money to the works' authors while fairly putting the onus on those making the materials available. There are a few ways to do this ... legalizing all non-consensual downloads but requiring advertisers on the site to "pay" for such downloads through advertising fees would be one good way ... for example, an advertiser on a site with a download of a hit CD would have to pay a rate to the author of the CD based upon the number of downloads during the advertising period on the site allowing the download. This would compensate the author for his or her work according to its actual market value, justly charge the advertiser based upon the exposure the advertiser received (represented by downloads) and provide the ultimate consumer with a free product. Advertisers, of course, would still exist because not every service is (or can be made) available over the internet.

It would hurt the publishing industry, but sometimes that's the price one pays.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 8:09:11 AM
In cases where 'Google Books' violates people's copyrights they ought to be sued by those people who own the work, they ought not just be legally allowed to violate people's copyrights if they pay a blanket tax to the government; whatever it's purpose might be for it cannot have the same purposes as each individual copyright holder whose rights were violated.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 11:14:27 AM
At 1/8/2010 8:08:07 PM, bonnieluvs wrote:
I think the stupidest word or idea is the word pencil i just dont like it

*facepalm*