Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Why it was all better in the old days: part 1

KingDebater
Posts: 687
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 11:52:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Part 1: Children losing the ability to write
http://www.edmontonsun.com...
(Not a very reliable source, but I think we've all heard this story in the news at some point. I don't trust this article very much though for two reasons 1) the guy in the picture looks dodgy 2) it's an opinion article)

Remember the good old days, when children could pick up a pencil and write? Well, hold onto those memories because that day is gone. Children are now losing their ability to write.

Finally, those plastic things that you can use to write letters (those things in the alphabet) will now serve a fulfilling purpose! Children now need these more than ever. I imagine the moment the piece of plastic will be taken away from them would be like the first time you ride a bike without stabilizers (you Americans call them something weird like water wings or something like that). Plus, with the amount of slangs that children speak nowadays , it may go a bit like this:

Responsible adult: [takes plastic away]
Child: [quivering] Woah, I'm writing freestyle, man! [Child rides over the edge of a cliff, then screams] #fail! Why are children so stupid these days?

So that's one of many reasons why it was all better in the old days.
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 7:35:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I disagree. Writing on paper used to be a necessity. It no longer is, and probably will be rendered obsolete in future, anyway. So why should the new generation of kids be trained in how to write with pens and graduate from blue to black to red if the technology is progressing beyond that?

It's like the argument that we shouldn't digitize books, because there's a visceral experience to be had in reading a physical copy over swiping on your netbook. You can't feel the texture of the paper, or smell that book smell. So what. Times change. The change isn't bad just because it is change.

Are you telling me you've never been handed back a graded paper by some fuckhead teacher who thinks he is amazing because he writes in longhand, yet you couldn't understand a single word he wrote because they were all jumbled together - each consonant and vowel indiscernible from the next - and thought, "I hope this never goes out of style"?
KingDebater
Posts: 687
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 11:36:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/9/2013 7:35:34 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:
I disagree. Writing on paper used to be a necessity. It no longer is, and probably will be rendered obsolete in future, anyway. So why should the new generation of kids be trained in how to write with pens and graduate from blue to black to red if the technology is progressing beyond that?

It's like the argument that we shouldn't digitize books, because there's a visceral experience to be had in reading a physical copy over swiping on your netbook. You can't feel the texture of the paper, or smell that book smell. So what. Times change. The change isn't bad just because it is change.

Are you telling me you've never been handed back a graded paper by some fuckhead teacher who thinks he is amazing because he writes in longhand, yet you couldn't understand a single word he wrote because they were all jumbled together - each consonant and vowel indiscernible from the next - and thought, "I hope this never goes out of style"?
P1) If you're right, the olden days isn't better in every aspect.
P2) The olden days is better in every aspect
C) You're wrong
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 5:30:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/10/2013 11:36:09 AM, KingDebater wrote:
At 12/9/2013 7:35:34 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:
I disagree. Writing on paper used to be a necessity. It no longer is, and probably will be rendered obsolete in future, anyway. So why should the new generation of kids be trained in how to write with pens and graduate from blue to black to red if the technology is progressing beyond that?

It's like the argument that we shouldn't digitize books, because there's a visceral experience to be had in reading a physical copy over swiping on your netbook. You can't feel the texture of the paper, or smell that book smell. So what. Times change. The change isn't bad just because it is change.

Are you telling me you've never been handed back a graded paper by some fuckhead teacher who thinks he is amazing because he writes in longhand, yet you couldn't understand a single word he wrote because they were all jumbled together - each consonant and vowel indiscernible from the next - and thought, "I hope this never goes out of style"?
P1) If you're right, the olden days isn't better in every aspect.
P2) The olden days is better in every aspect
C) You're wrong

honestly a mix is better than one side or the other. Writing works on a physical level because it is an inefficient means of communication and with the fact that some people have really bad handwriting. Books work more on the psychological level. Having a hard copy of a book feel natural and normal. it feels like your actually looking at a single something instead of a digital copy. its the material value of holding in your hands. While change is most of the time not that hard or burdening this one is.

The new age and the olden age are not better than each other wholey but a good combo beats them both.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 10:58:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/9/2013 7:35:34 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:
I disagree. Writing on paper used to be a necessity. It no longer is, and probably will be rendered obsolete in future, anyway. So why should the new generation of kids be trained in how to write with pens and graduate from blue to black to red if the technology is progressing beyond that?

It's like the argument that we shouldn't digitize books, because there's a visceral experience to be had in reading a physical copy over swiping on your netbook. You can't feel the texture of the paper, or smell that book smell. So what. Times change. The change isn't bad just because it is change.

Are you telling me you've never been handed back a graded paper by some fuckhead teacher who thinks he is amazing because he writes in longhand, yet you couldn't understand a single word he wrote because they were all jumbled together - each consonant and vowel indiscernible from the next - and thought, "I hope this never goes out of style"?

"I disagree. Writing on paper used to be a necessity. It no longer is, and probably will be rendered obsolete in future, anyway. So why should the new generation of kids be trained in how to write with pens and graduate from blue to black to red if the technology is progressing beyond that? "

They don't teach much about contingency in school these days either. What happens if there is a solar flare or a disaster and your beloved technology isn't there for you. These things will happen and are not a matter of if but when. Technology is very very temporary.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 6:23:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2013 10:58:51 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 12/9/2013 7:35:34 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:
I disagree. Writing on paper used to be a necessity. It no longer is, and probably will be rendered obsolete in future, anyway. So why should the new generation of kids be trained in how to write with pens and graduate from blue to black to red if the technology is progressing beyond that?

It's like the argument that we shouldn't digitize books, because there's a visceral experience to be had in reading a physical copy over swiping on your netbook. You can't feel the texture of the paper, or smell that book smell. So what. Times change. The change isn't bad just because it is change.

Are you telling me you've never been handed back a graded paper by some fuckhead teacher who thinks he is amazing because he writes in longhand, yet you couldn't understand a single word he wrote because they were all jumbled together - each consonant and vowel indiscernible from the next - and thought, "I hope this never goes out of style"?

"I disagree. Writing on paper used to be a necessity. It no longer is, and probably will be rendered obsolete in future, anyway. So why should the new generation of kids be trained in how to write with pens and graduate from blue to black to red if the technology is progressing beyond that? "

They don't teach much about contingency in school these days either. What happens if there is a solar flare or a disaster and your beloved technology isn't there for you. These things will happen and are not a matter of if but when. Technology is very very temporary.

Given disaster scenarios there are already failsafes in place anyway, and justifying keeping alive outdated technology in case of the apocalypse is just fear-mongering and not really relevant to the discussion. Writing on paper - just like cave drawings - will be a thing of the past eventually. That is if to say humans survive long enough to see the transition.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2013 8:11:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/14/2013 6:23:46 AM, InvictusManeo wrote:
At 12/13/2013 10:58:51 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 12/9/2013 7:35:34 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:
I disagree. Writing on paper used to be a necessity. It no longer is, and probably will be rendered obsolete in future, anyway. So why should the new generation of kids be trained in how to write with pens and graduate from blue to black to red if the technology is progressing beyond that?

It's like the argument that we shouldn't digitize books, because there's a visceral experience to be had in reading a physical copy over swiping on your netbook. You can't feel the texture of the paper, or smell that book smell. So what. Times change. The change isn't bad just because it is change.

Are you telling me you've never been handed back a graded paper by some fuckhead teacher who thinks he is amazing because he writes in longhand, yet you couldn't understand a single word he wrote because they were all jumbled together - each consonant and vowel indiscernible from the next - and thought, "I hope this never goes out of style"?

"I disagree. Writing on paper used to be a necessity. It no longer is, and probably will be rendered obsolete in future, anyway. So why should the new generation of kids be trained in how to write with pens and graduate from blue to black to red if the technology is progressing beyond that? "

They don't teach much about contingency in school these days either. What happens if there is a solar flare or a disaster and your beloved technology isn't there for you. These things will happen and are not a matter of if but when. Technology is very very temporary.

Given disaster scenarios there are already failsafes in place anyway, and justifying keeping alive outdated technology in case of the apocalypse is just fear-mongering and not really relevant to the discussion. Writing on paper - just like cave drawings - will be a thing of the past eventually. That is if to say humans survive long enough to see the transition.

You learn nothing from history.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%