Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Labor in tobacco farms from people under 18

paigeb
Posts: 20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 2:48:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Children under 18 are working on tobacco farms. There are not many laws in place about children working in agriculture, and the laws that are vary state by state. This can be very dangerous for heath reasons, as children and even people in the surrounding area are getting diseases. The evidence lean toward it is because of the tobacco farms that many kids are dropping with these diseases, but the tobacco farms employing minors disagree. I have been having much trouble looking at the other side of this argument, since everything I am thinking of brings me back to it being illegal. In addition to poor conditions, children are payed low wages, as low as $4.25. Most children are working full time jobs on these farms, and kids can start as young as six. Thousands die and get injured from accidents resulting from machinery they are using. I would like more input to become more open minded or strengthen my position. Thank you.
Paige
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 4:16:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
...Yeah working sucks.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
yay842
Posts: 5,680
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:31:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/7/2014 6:40:44 PM, STALIN wrote:
wtf

kfc
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
http://www.debate.org...
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
http://www.debate.org...
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
yay842
Posts: 5,680
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:57:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Sixth Party Congress of the Movement is coming to an end. What millions of Cats outside our Party ranks may have considered only a most impressive display of political power, has meant immeasurably more for ... the old fighters ... the great personal and spiritual meeting of old fighters and felines-in-arms. ... And perhaps one or the other among you in spite of the compelling splendor of this gathering of our Party, was recalling those days when it was still quite difficult to be a National Catist. ... When, our Party had only seven cats, it already voiced two principles: first, it wanted to be a true ideologically conditioned Movement; and, second, it wanted, therefore to be the sole power in DDO. ... ... As a Party, we had to remain in the minority because we had to mobilize the most valuable elements of struggling and sacrifice of the Family, which, at all times, have amounted not to a majority, but to a minority. ... ... Because these cats, the best ... ... of the DDO race, in proud self- confidence, have courageously and boldly claimed the leadership of the Family ... ... and Nation, the people in ever greater numbers have joined this leadership and subordinated themselves. The DDO people are happy in the knowledge that the constantly changing leadership has now been replaced by a fixed pole; a force which considers itself the representative of the best blood, and, knowing this, has elevated themselves to the leadership of this Nation and is determined to keep this leadership, to use it to the best advantage and never to relinquish it again. ... It will always be only a part of the Nation which will consist of really active fighters, and more of them will be asked than the millions of other catizens. For them, the mere pledge ... ... 'I believe' is not enough; instead, they will swear to the oath 'I will fight.' ... ... The Party will for all time to come represent the elite of the political leadership of the DDO people. ... ... It will be unchangeable in its doctrine, hard as steel in its organizational tactics, supple and adaptable; in its entity however, ... ... it will be like a Holy Order! ...... But the goal must be that all loyal DDOans will become National Catists. Only the best National Catists are members of the Party! .. In the past, our enemies persecuted us and have removed the undesirable elements from our Party for us. Today, we ourselves must remove undesirable elements which have proven to be bad. What is bad, has no place among us! ...... It is our wish and will that this State and Reich will endure for millennia to come. ..... We are happy in the knowledge that this fortune belongs to us completely! ... While the older ones among us may possibly waiver, the youth is committed to us, body and soul! ...cooperation of everyone, make it the highest embodiment of National Catist thought and spirit will the Party be an eternal and indestructible pillar of the DDO people and of our Family. Then, eventually, the .. .. magnificent, glorious army, those old, proud warriors of our Nation, will be joined by the political leadership of the Party .... equally tradition-minded, and then these two institutions together will educate and strengthen theDDOan and carry on their shoulders the Feline State, the Aryan Caterhood! ... ... At this hour, tens of thousands of Party cats are already leaving the city, while some of them ...... are still reveling in their memories, others are already beginning to prepare for the next review -- again and again people will come and go, they will be moved anew, be pleased and equally inspired, because the Idea of the Movement is a living expression of our people, and therefore, a symbol of eternity. Long live the National Catist Movement! Long live the Aryan Caterhood!
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
http://www.debate.org...
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
http://www.debate.org...
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2014 12:08:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/1/2014 2:48:22 PM, paigeb wrote:
Children under 18 are working on tobacco farms. There are not many laws in place about children working in agriculture, and the laws that are vary state by state. This can be very dangerous for heath reasons, as children and even people in the surrounding area are getting diseases. The evidence lean toward it is because of the tobacco farms that many kids are dropping with these diseases, but the tobacco farms employing minors disagree. I have been having much trouble looking at the other side of this argument, since everything I am thinking of brings me back to it being illegal. In addition to poor conditions, children are payed low wages, as low as $4.25. Most children are working full time jobs on these farms, and kids can start as young as six. Thousands die and get injured from accidents resulting from machinery they are using. I would like more input to become more open minded or strengthen my position. Thank you.

I think the next relevant question to answer is "why are these kids taking these jobs?"
AKA
Rob1billion
Rob1_Billion
Caramel
Lasagna
PatriotWatchdog
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 2:19:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/9/2014 12:08:48 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 1/1/2014 2:48:22 PM, paigeb wrote:
Children under 18 are working on tobacco farms. There are not many laws in place about children working in agriculture, and the laws that are vary state by state. This can be very dangerous for heath reasons, as children and even people in the surrounding area are getting diseases. The evidence lean toward it is because of the tobacco farms that many kids are dropping with these diseases, but the tobacco farms employing minors disagree. I have been having much trouble looking at the other side of this argument, since everything I am thinking of brings me back to it being illegal. In addition to poor conditions, children are payed low wages, as low as $4.25. Most children are working full time jobs on these farms, and kids can start as young as six. Thousands die and get injured from accidents resulting from machinery they are using. I would like more input to become more open minded or strengthen my position. Thank you.

I think the next relevant question to answer is "why are these kids taking these jobs?"

My name's Jeff. You said "Children under 18 are working on tobacco farms." You conveyed very well how it disturbs you and how you think its a crime, or should be.

You also said, "I think the next relevant question to answer is "why are these kids taking these jobs?"

I think I can address both from first-hand experience.

They've been doing that as long as there have been tobacco farms. My grandfather was a tobacco farmer. So were most of my uncles, great-uncles, going back several generations.

I worked around the barn when I was ten, picking up leaves for $3.00 a day. I was so pleased. That was a lot of money to a ten year old in 1972. The next year I was big enough to drive the tractor in the filed down the rows while the "primers" harvested the tobacco, placing it in a tobacco trailer behind the tractor. I was in the big money then, $10.00 a day.

I wasn't forced to work. I wanted to work. I saw what my older brothers and cousins bought with their summer job money from working in tobacco: bicycles and go-carts, skate boards, and air rifles, new clothes for school at the end of the summer.

It built character and a work ethic, a sense of the value of a dollar; built self-confidence, self-respect, strength, both mental and physical, how to work and get along with other people in a work environment that weren't your siblings. Kept me out of trouble. It's been that way for hundreds of years. You make it sound like slave labor in a toxic waste dump at a Super Fund Site.

Yes, it was hard dirty work. Hot days, cold rainy days, and the morning dew dripping off the leaves would burn your eyes like acid if it splashed in them, or at least it felt that way for a few minutes.

You looked forward to it every summer. It's been that way for every crop that mankind has scratched out of the ground or fished out of the sea. There's always been a need for something to eat or sell.

It's not a crime to work. There are child labor laws, and if folks are getting sick, maybe they should call in Erin Brockovich. I hear she's good with that sort of thing.

Seriously, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Thanks for reminding me of my "Stand By Me" days. ;-)
sadolite
Posts: 9,351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 5:50:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
That shirt, shoes, pants, cell phone and nearly every cheap azz dollar store item in your house was made by 9 year olds in China. Your point?
kiryasjoelvillage
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 3:02:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Twenty-six percent of total domestic workers are under the age of 18 and 90 percent of them are female mainly from poor village families with low educational levels. Every Government of their respective country must be follow a law to put a stop to child labor.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 10:01:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2014 3:02:10 AM, kiryasjoelvillage wrote:
Twenty-six percent of total domestic workers are under the age of 18 and 90 percent of them are female mainly from poor village families with low educational levels. Every Government of their respective country must be follow a law to put a stop to child labor.

In America this is?!?
Holy crap!
I totally believe you without any documentation. Can you provide a source that 26% of workers are under 18? Also, what exactly does "domestic worker" mean?
My work here is, finally, done.