Total Posts:119|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Gender Equality...Now Bathroom Equality?

bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 9:50:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
In Maine, it is now legal for people with long histories of identifying with the gender opposite of their biological one, to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with in public schools.

An article is provided with more info: http://news.yahoo.com... I was inspired to post this after Kbub's thread re: gender settings on DDO.

What are your thoughts?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 12:10:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2014 9:50:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
In Maine, it is now legal for people with long histories of identifying with the gender opposite of their biological one, to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with in public schools.

An article is provided with more info: http://news.yahoo.com... I was inspired to post this after Kbub's thread re: gender settings on DDO.

What are your thoughts?

Praise God/Allah! Thanks for the inspiring thread!
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 12:33:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This will take about 37 seconds before boys claim to identify as girls just to sneak into their bathrooms.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 12:39:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 12:33:08 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
This will take about 37 seconds before boys claim to identify as girls just to sneak into their bathrooms.

The Court ruling said their had to be a "long history" of gender dysphoria before permission to use the bathroom could be given to biological males...

I think this is a hard issue, because, on the one hand, genderqueer people should have their own space, but there needs to be separation between the sexes too. It's hard to adjudicate, but I feel like this is a reasonable compromise between interests.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 11:30:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 12:39:04 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/4/2014 12:33:08 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
This will take about 37 seconds before boys claim to identify as girls just to sneak into their bathrooms.

The Court ruling said their had to be a "long history" of gender dysphoria before permission to use the bathroom could be given to biological males...

I think this is a hard issue, because, on the one hand, genderqueer people should have their own space, but there needs to be separation between the sexes too. It's hard to adjudicate, but I feel like this is a reasonable compromise between interests.

Are you going to be evaluated by a judge and get like a bathroom pass? If not people can just walk into any bathroom and if so we'll be wasting a lot of judicial time in a system that is already slow and overburdened.

How do you prove a "long history"? And who will be guarding the bathrooms against people who don't have this history?

The whole thing is stupid.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 5:33:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2014 9:50:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
In Maine, it is now legal for people with long histories of identifying with the gender opposite of their biological one, to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with in public schools.

An article is provided with more info: http://news.yahoo.com... I was inspired to post this after Kbub's thread re: gender settings on DDO.

What are your thoughts?

This is dumb.
I don't see what gender identity has to do with anatomical fact.
We separate due to that fact. I see know reason to change it.

Further, they have to display a "long history", a likely subjective term open to hurt feelings.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 6:27:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 5:51:27 PM, Wocambs wrote:
Abolish gender; abolish bathroom segregation.

I wouldn't be too opposed to that, except where the bathrooms are large, like a shopping mall where the bathroom has like 10 stalls.
I've never understood having separate bathrooms for male and female, when there is only one toilet. No one else will be there, so what does it matter?
My work here is, finally, done.
KnightArtorias
Posts: 103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 10:04:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Baby steps.

Really though, outside of personal distaste, there's no serious argument for the segregation of bathrooms. Even then, personal distaste is a silly argument. Families seem to get by just fine using the same bathrooms every day. Surely the sexes can share washrooms in public if they can manage at home.
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 10:16:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 10:04:36 PM, KnightArtorias wrote:
Baby steps.

Really though, outside of personal distaste, there's no serious argument for the segregation of bathrooms. Even then, personal distaste is a silly argument. Families seem to get by just fine using the same bathrooms every day. Surely the sexes can share washrooms in public if they can manage at home.

Do you use the same bathroom as your guests at your house?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
KnightArtorias
Posts: 103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 10:18:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 10:16:41 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 2/4/2014 10:04:36 PM, KnightArtorias wrote:
Baby steps.

Really though, outside of personal distaste, there's no serious argument for the segregation of bathrooms. Even then, personal distaste is a silly argument. Families seem to get by just fine using the same bathrooms every day. Surely the sexes can share washrooms in public if they can manage at home.

Do you use the same bathroom as your guests at your house?

Indeed I do, yes. Why wouldn't I? Shall I banish them to the front lawn instead?
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 10:34:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 12:39:04 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/4/2014 12:33:08 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
This will take about 37 seconds before boys claim to identify as girls just to sneak into their bathrooms.

The Court ruling said their had to be a "long history" of gender dysphoria before permission to use the bathroom could be given to biological males...

I think this is a hard issue, because, on the one hand, genderqueer people should have their own space, but there needs to be separation between the sexes too. It's hard to adjudicate, but I feel like this is a reasonable compromise between interests.

How do you have a "long history" when talking about school kids?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 10:39:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 10:34:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 2/4/2014 12:39:04 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/4/2014 12:33:08 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
This will take about 37 seconds before boys claim to identify as girls just to sneak into their bathrooms.

The Court ruling said their had to be a "long history" of gender dysphoria before permission to use the bathroom could be given to biological males...

I think this is a hard issue, because, on the one hand, genderqueer people should have their own space, but there needs to be separation between the sexes too. It's hard to adjudicate, but I feel like this is a reasonable compromise between interests.

How do you have a "long history" when talking about school kids?

Well, in the article I cited, she had dysphoria for quite sometime, and ID'd as a girl since age 2.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 7:29:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 10:04:36 PM, KnightArtorias wrote:
Baby steps.

Really though, outside of personal distaste, there's no serious argument for the segregation of bathrooms. Even then, personal distaste is a silly argument. Families seem to get by just fine using the same bathrooms every day. Surely the sexes can share washrooms in public if they can manage at home.

The only issue I see is sexes sharing the bathroom at the same time.
As in, a man in one stall, and the women in the next stall over. We seem to think there is an issue with men and women being in the same room at the same time using the bathroom (or being in private quarters as such).

As I have said, a single toilet bathroom being designated as men or women is silly.
My work here is, finally, done.
KnightArtorias
Posts: 103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 7:33:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 7:29:03 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
The only issue I see is sexes sharing the bathroom at the same time.
As in, a man in one stall, and the women in the next stall over. We seem to think there is an issue with men and women being in the same room at the same time using the bathroom (or being in private quarters as such).

As I have said, a single toilet bathroom being designated as men or women is silly.

I agree completely. And really, if you find yourself having difficulty voiding yourself because OMG TEH BOOBEHS/PENOR, I can only either suggest you seek help, or prescribe a nice dosage of get the hell over it. We've all got problems. Hell, I don't like going to the bathroom in public in general. I have a serious anxiety over that. But that's my problem. For society to cater to that irrationality would be, well ridiculous. And so it is with this seeming phobia of shitting next to someone of the opposite sex.
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 7:39:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 7:33:08 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
At 2/5/2014 7:29:03 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
The only issue I see is sexes sharing the bathroom at the same time.
As in, a man in one stall, and the women in the next stall over. We seem to think there is an issue with men and women being in the same room at the same time using the bathroom (or being in private quarters as such).

As I have said, a single toilet bathroom being designated as men or women is silly.

I agree completely. And really, if you find yourself having difficulty voiding yourself because OMG TEH BOOBEHS/PENOR, I can only either suggest you seek help, or prescribe a nice dosage of get the hell over it. We've all got problems. Hell, I don't like going to the bathroom in public in general. I have a serious anxiety over that. But that's my problem. For society to cater to that irrationality would be, well ridiculous. And so it is with this seeming phobia of shitting next to someone of the opposite sex.

I think it is more an issue of the privacy factor.
People are "naked". People are at their most vulnerable.
And, frankly, the bathroom is a place used for regrouping one's self at times. Like two women "going to the bathroom" at a nightclub to regain composure/escape because of some jerk harassing one of them, which, they could not do if the jerk could come into the bathroom as well.
And, it's not like there are cameras in there...
My work here is, finally, done.
KnightArtorias
Posts: 103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:10:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 7:39:04 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I think it is more an issue of the privacy factor.
People are "naked". People are at their most vulnerable.

And? If you can be "naked" around the same sex, you an be around the opposite sex. A fear of being naked like that is more than a bit irrational, wouldn't you agree?

And, frankly, the bathroom is a place used for regrouping one's self at times. Like two women "going to the bathroom" at a nightclub to regain composure/escape because of some jerk harassing one of them, which, they could not do if the jerk could come into the bathroom as well.

And what happens if someone needs regrouping from someone of the same sex? They're sh*t out of luck.

I see no reason why members of the opposite sex should therefore receive special derisive treatment.

And, it's not like there are cameras in there...

I don't understand what you are getting at here.
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:15:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 8:10:03 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
At 2/5/2014 7:39:04 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I think it is more an issue of the privacy factor.
People are "naked". People are at their most vulnerable.

And? If you can be "naked" around the same sex, you an be around the opposite sex. A fear of being naked like that is more than a bit irrational, wouldn't you agree?


And, frankly, the bathroom is a place used for regrouping one's self at times. Like two women "going to the bathroom" at a nightclub to regain composure/escape because of some jerk harassing one of them, which, they could not do if the jerk could come into the bathroom as well.

And what happens if someone needs regrouping from someone of the same sex? They're sh*t out of luck.

I see no reason why members of the opposite sex should therefore receive special derisive treatment.

And, it's not like there are cameras in there...

I don't understand what you are getting at here.

I am referring to rape, sexual assault, stalking, etc.
Currently, if a man walks into a woman's bathroom, that sends a red flag.
There would be no red flag in this scenario, since a man has every expectation to be there.

Do you know of any place (country or city) that has malls with shared bathrooms like you propose?
My work here is, finally, done.
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:18:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2014 9:50:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
In Maine, it is now legal for people with long histories of identifying with the gender opposite of their biological one, to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with in public schools.

An article is provided with more info: http://news.yahoo.com... I was inspired to post this after Kbub's thread re: gender settings on DDO.

What are your thoughts?

I don't see anything good coming outta this...
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
KnightArtorias
Posts: 103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:32:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 8:15:42 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/5/2014 8:10:03 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
At 2/5/2014 7:39:04 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I think it is more an issue of the privacy factor.
People are "naked". People are at their most vulnerable.

And? If you can be "naked" around the same sex, you an be around the opposite sex. A fear of being naked like that is more than a bit irrational, wouldn't you agree?


And, frankly, the bathroom is a place used for regrouping one's self at times. Like two women "going to the bathroom" at a nightclub to regain composure/escape because of some jerk harassing one of them, which, they could not do if the jerk could come into the bathroom as well.

And what happens if someone needs regrouping from someone of the same sex? They're sh*t out of luck.

I see no reason why members of the opposite sex should therefore receive special derisive treatment.

And, it's not like there are cameras in there...

I don't understand what you are getting at here.

I am referring to rape, sexual assault, stalking, etc.
Currently, if a man walks into a woman's bathroom, that sends a red flag.
There would be no red flag in this scenario, since a man has every expectation to be there.

First of all, I don't think rapists particularly care what the bathroom sign says. They're going to go in anyway. Secondly, sex segregated bathrooms only make rape a greater possibility for a number of reasons. It allows rapists to have a highly-specific victim pool at the ready, it limits the number of people in the room at any given time, it makes it easier for them to remain undetected in the bathroom, and so on.

Finally, the bathrooms are not a hotspot for rape, despite television dramas informing you otherwise. The issue is null.

Do you know of any place (country or city) that has malls with shared bathrooms like you propose?

No, but I do know that a local high school a while back did an experiment where they made all the bathrooms available for anyone to use, and amazingly, nothing went awry, and people got on just fine.
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:44:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 8:32:40 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
At 2/5/2014 8:15:42 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/5/2014 8:10:03 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
At 2/5/2014 7:39:04 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I think it is more an issue of the privacy factor.
People are "naked". People are at their most vulnerable.

And? If you can be "naked" around the same sex, you an be around the opposite sex. A fear of being naked like that is more than a bit irrational, wouldn't you agree?


And, frankly, the bathroom is a place used for regrouping one's self at times. Like two women "going to the bathroom" at a nightclub to regain composure/escape because of some jerk harassing one of them, which, they could not do if the jerk could come into the bathroom as well.

And what happens if someone needs regrouping from someone of the same sex? They're sh*t out of luck.

I see no reason why members of the opposite sex should therefore receive special derisive treatment.

And, it's not like there are cameras in there...

I don't understand what you are getting at here.

I am referring to rape, sexual assault, stalking, etc.
Currently, if a man walks into a woman's bathroom, that sends a red flag.
There would be no red flag in this scenario, since a man has every expectation to be there.

First of all, I don't think rapists particularly care what the bathroom sign says. They're going to go in anyway. Secondly, sex segregated bathrooms only make rape a greater possibility for a number of reasons. It allows rapists to have a highly-specific victim pool at the ready, it limits the number of people in the room at any given time, it makes it easier for them to remain undetected in the bathroom, and so on.

Finally, the bathrooms are not a hotspot for rape, despite television dramas informing you otherwise. The issue is null.

You completely missed the point.
If there were an issue there, which there can be given the vulnerability inherent of the bathroom, there is no red flag.
Let's say there was video of the entrence to the bathroom, and a woman was raped. Which man on the video needs to be questioned?


Do you know of any place (country or city) that has malls with shared bathrooms like you propose?

No, but I do know that a local high school a while back did an experiment where they made all the bathrooms available for anyone to use, and amazingly, nothing went awry, and people got on just fine.
My work here is, finally, done.
KnightArtorias
Posts: 103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:55:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 8:44:30 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/5/2014 8:32:40 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
At 2/5/2014 8:15:42 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/5/2014 8:10:03 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
At 2/5/2014 7:39:04 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I think it is more an issue of the privacy factor.
People are "naked". People are at their most vulnerable.

And? If you can be "naked" around the same sex, you an be around the opposite sex. A fear of being naked like that is more than a bit irrational, wouldn't you agree?


And, frankly, the bathroom is a place used for regrouping one's self at times. Like two women "going to the bathroom" at a nightclub to regain composure/escape because of some jerk harassing one of them, which, they could not do if the jerk could come into the bathroom as well.

And what happens if someone needs regrouping from someone of the same sex? They're sh*t out of luck.

I see no reason why members of the opposite sex should therefore receive special derisive treatment.

And, it's not like there are cameras in there...

I don't understand what you are getting at here.

I am referring to rape, sexual assault, stalking, etc.
Currently, if a man walks into a woman's bathroom, that sends a red flag.
There would be no red flag in this scenario, since a man has every expectation to be there.

First of all, I don't think rapists particularly care what the bathroom sign says. They're going to go in anyway. Secondly, sex segregated bathrooms only make rape a greater possibility for a number of reasons. It allows rapists to have a highly-specific victim pool at the ready, it limits the number of people in the room at any given time, it makes it easier for them to remain undetected in the bathroom, and so on.

Finally, the bathrooms are not a hotspot for rape, despite television dramas informing you otherwise. The issue is null.

You completely missed the point.
If there were an issue there, which there can be given the vulnerability inherent of the bathroom, there is no red flag.
Let's say there was video of the entrence to the bathroom, and a woman was raped. Which man on the video needs to be questioned?

No, I don't believe I have missed the point. You raised the issue of rape in bathrooms, and I pointed out, very clearly, that the question is a ridiculous one, both because of the rarity of events, and the likelihood that inclusion would decrease the amount of rape.

Let's assume for instance that a woman rapes another woman (yes, that's possible). How would you precede in such a scenario? There's no "red flag" when any woman enter's a woman's restroom. But there are, in fact, ways of determining suspicion and guilt, beyond these petty "red flags" you keep suggesting. Further more, red flags may not even be accurate or justified. The simple act of a man going into a female bathroom does not even necessarily suggest he is a rapist.

Your question sounds an awful lot like logic used to justify segregation. "If we let blacks move into white neighborhoods, how will we know whether or not to punish blacks when a white guy gets robbed?" Your question is one that seeks to render a class of people as permanent potential victimizers, for the ease of prosecution. Not to mention, it does not help to actually decrease the amount of that particular crime. Which I again must empahsise. Who gives a damn about "red flags" when you're reducing the amount of crime happening? Prevention of crime is more important than the prosecution of it.

It's a silly, childish, ridiculous proposition, and I dismiss it as such.
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."
kingcripple
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:55:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2014 9:50:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
In Maine, it is now legal for people with long histories of identifying with the gender opposite of their biological one, to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with in public schools.

An article is provided with more info: http://news.yahoo.com... I was inspired to post this after Kbub's thread re: gender settings on DDO.

What are your thoughts?

It is incredibly sad and stupid. If you are born male, you're male. If you're born female, guess what? You're female. Gender Dysphoria used to be in the DSM and it needs to be put back in
kingcripple
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:56:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/4/2014 12:33:08 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
This will take about 37 seconds before boys claim to identify as girls just to sneak into their bathrooms.

exactly
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:16:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 8:55:50 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
At 2/5/2014 8:44:30 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/5/2014 8:32:40 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
At 2/5/2014 8:15:42 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/5/2014 8:10:03 AM, KnightArtorias wrote:
At 2/5/2014 7:39:04 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I think it is more an issue of the privacy factor.
People are "naked". People are at their most vulnerable.

And? If you can be "naked" around the same sex, you an be around the opposite sex. A fear of being naked like that is more than a bit irrational, wouldn't you agree?


And, frankly, the bathroom is a place used for regrouping one's self at times. Like two women "going to the bathroom" at a nightclub to regain composure/escape because of some jerk harassing one of them, which, they could not do if the jerk could come into the bathroom as well.

And what happens if someone needs regrouping from someone of the same sex? They're sh*t out of luck.

I see no reason why members of the opposite sex should therefore receive special derisive treatment.

And, it's not like there are cameras in there...

I don't understand what you are getting at here.

I am referring to rape, sexual assault, stalking, etc.
Currently, if a man walks into a woman's bathroom, that sends a red flag.
There would be no red flag in this scenario, since a man has every expectation to be there.

First of all, I don't think rapists particularly care what the bathroom sign says. They're going to go in anyway. Secondly, sex segregated bathrooms only make rape a greater possibility for a number of reasons. It allows rapists to have a highly-specific victim pool at the ready, it limits the number of people in the room at any given time, it makes it easier for them to remain undetected in the bathroom, and so on.

Finally, the bathrooms are not a hotspot for rape, despite television dramas informing you otherwise. The issue is null.

You completely missed the point.
If there were an issue there, which there can be given the vulnerability inherent of the bathroom, there is no red flag.
Let's say there was video of the entrence to the bathroom, and a woman was raped. Which man on the video needs to be questioned?

No, I don't believe I have missed the point. You raised the issue of rape in bathrooms, and I pointed out, very clearly, that the question is a ridiculous one, both because of the rarity of events, and the likelihood that inclusion would decrease the amount of rape.


Let's assume for instance that a woman rapes another woman (yes, that's possible). How would you precede in such a scenario? There's no "red flag" when any woman enter's a woman's restroom. But there are, in fact, ways of determining suspicion and guilt, beyond these petty "red flags" you keep suggesting. Further more, red flags may not even be accurate or justified. The simple act of a man going into a female bathroom does not even necessarily suggest he is a rapist.

1. I am pretty sure the woman would know if her attacker was male or not.
2. As I said, a man loitering in the bathroom would be cause for concern. In the co-ed bathroom, that is not the case.

That is my point.

Your question sounds an awful lot like logic used to justify segregation. "If we let blacks move into white neighborhoods, how will we know whether or not to punish blacks when a white guy gets robbed?" Your question is one that seeks to render a class of people as permanent potential victimizers, for the ease of prosecution. Not to mention, it does not help to actually decrease the amount of that particular crime. Which I again must empahsise. Who gives a damn about "red flags" when you're reducing the amount of crime happening? Prevention of crime is more important than the prosecution of it.

False analogy.
We don't assume the race of the burglar.
We do assume the race/sex of a rapist.

How does this reduce the amount of crime?
I see no reason there would be an effect one way or the other.
My point is the suspect would be harder to find through witnesses and surveilance.

It's a silly, childish, ridiculous proposition, and I dismiss it as such.
My work here is, finally, done.
KnightArtorias
Posts: 103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:24:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/5/2014 11:16:25 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
1. I am pretty sure the woman would know if her attacker was male or not.

Assumably, but that has nothing to do with the point I'm making. Let's say a man rushes into a female bathroom by mistake, due to a bowel emergency. It just so happens at that time that there is another man present lying in wait to sexually violate an individual.

The presence of a man entering a female washroom is not necessarily evidence that they are a rapist. That's my point. your "red flag" analogy is going to be almost always worthless, because it never works, among other reasons.

2. As I said, a man loitering in the bathroom would be cause for concern. In the co-ed bathroom, that is not the case.

Which again, so what? Who cares? It's an irrelevant point, and I've explained this to you several times. Why are you hellbent on being concerned about men being around women in the bathroom? That seems to be your goal, not actually protecting women.


That is my point.

Your question sounds an awful lot like logic used to justify segregation. "If we let blacks move into white neighborhoods, how will we know whether or not to punish blacks when a white guy gets robbed?" Your question is one that seeks to render a class of people as permanent potential victimizers, for the ease of prosecution. Not to mention, it does not help to actually decrease the amount of that particular crime. Which I again must empahsise. Who gives a damn about "red flags" when you're reducing the amount of crime happening? Prevention of crime is more important than the prosecution of it.

False analogy.
We don't assume the race of the burglar.
We do assume the race/sex of a rapist.

It's not a false analogy. We indeed used to assume race when dealing with certain crimes, and to an extent, that racism still happens today. The point is that, for all your whining, the core of your argument is "if we treat people the same, it'll be harder to convict certain people of a crime". Ridiculous.

How does this reduce the amount of crime?
I see no reason there would be an effect one way or the other.

I already explained this to you a few posts up. go back and read. More bodies, and a larger variety of bodies, in the same location decreases the chance of victimization.

My point is the suspect would be harder to find through witnesses and surveilance.

Who cares if a suspect is harder to find, if there are less suspects to find? Your logic on criminal offenses is completely backwards. Like I said, it's a completely worthless point.
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."
Roudy-Trucker
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 6:33:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This conversation is so sexist.

The solution is to have porta potties every where. Nuff said, problem solded
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 4:08:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2014 9:50:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
In Maine, it is now legal for people with long histories of identifying with the gender opposite of their biological one, to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with in public schools.

An article is provided with more info: http://news.yahoo.com... I was inspired to post this after Kbub's thread re: gender settings on DDO.

What are your thoughts?

I don't like to poop with anyone around me, regardless of gender.

I dream of a world, where a man or woman can poop in a room alone to them self.

Yes, I have a dream people.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 8:39:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why do people who live alternate life styles think they don't have to follow established gender social etiquette?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%