Jump to topic:

Giraffe! :(

kawaii_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:43:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
My science teacher saw this on CNN on her lunch break and says it was all she could do not to throw up. What they don't show in this video is when they throw it in the lion's cage, but my teacher saw that part, sadly. And then went on to explain to us what she saw in GREAT detail. http://www.theguardian.com...
"Being called weird is like being called Limited Edition. Meaning you're something people don't see that often." -Ashley Purdy

Please help raise money for a Christmas gift for airmax (although he is Jewish, as YYW pointed out). He is in desperate need of a new laptop, and he has done so much for this site; he certainly deserves one. :)
http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 9:04:30 PM
At 2/10/2014 8:43:03 PM, kawaii_crazy wrote:
My science teacher saw this on CNN on her lunch break and says it was all she could do not to throw up. What they don't show in this video is when they throw it in the lion's cage, but my teacher saw that part, sadly. And then went on to explain to us what she saw in GREAT detail. http://www.theguardian.com...

Well, that's awful. And apparently not the first time they've done it, per the article.

That is not a zoo I could possibly support, and I though the odds of me ever going to that city are slim, I will never go to that zoo.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 12:44:11 AM
It has been done for decades, it is standard operating procedure in zoo's around the world. It's good for the predator animals to be fed these animals. It's what they eat in the wild. Any argument against it is total feelings based over reaction and ignorance. They don't do it in the US anymore to the detriment of the predator animals because of the PC over reaction ignorance. "We are going to cut funding and donations if you don't stop right now." These people could care less about the zoo animals and their well being or whats good for them. They can't stomach the harsh realities of life in the wild so they try to treat zoo animals like pets.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 9:54:28 AM
mmmmmm giraffe. Wish they could get me some of that.

Reading this I thought someone tossed in a live giraffe in a pen with hungry lions and everyone was upset about the pain and suffering caused from mauling lions.

Instead they killed it first. Just like the way we get hamburgers. That was very polite and ethical of them to handle it that way.
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:52:42 PM
At 2/14/2014 9:54:28 AM, slo1 wrote:

Reading this I thought someone tossed in a live giraffe in a pen with hungry lions and everyone was upset about the pain and suffering caused from mauling lions.

Instead they killed it first. Just like the way we get hamburgers. That was very polite and ethical of them to handle it that way.

Was the justification for killing the giraffe in order to provide the lions with the same food they get in the wild? From what I had read it was about weeding out mediocre genes from the population of giraffes in captivity - basically only allow the giraffes with good genes to live in zoos. Multiple other zoos had offered to take the giraffe in question but they killed it anyway based on this argument. There is now another giraffe that the same zoo is considering killing.

That said, I am not sure what the right thing is for the zoo to do. I think a better way to improve the treatment of animals would be to focus on how we treat farm animals. But this is terrible publicity for the zoo. Even if there are some people who actually come to this zoo because of the controversy I'm not sure that this is a good business decision for the zoo.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 3:43:45 PM
At 2/14/2014 3:52:42 PM, rockwater wrote:
At 2/14/2014 9:54:28 AM, slo1 wrote:

Was the justification for killing the giraffe in order to provide the lions with the same food they get in the wild? From what I had read it was about weeding out mediocre genes from the population of giraffes in captivity - basically only allow the giraffes with good genes to live in zoos. Multiple other zoos had offered to take the giraffe in question but they killed it anyway based on this argument. There is now another giraffe that the same zoo is considering killing.

That said, I am not sure what the right thing is for the zoo to do. I think a better way to improve the treatment of animals would be to focus on how we treat farm animals. But this is terrible publicity for the zoo. Even if there are some people who actually come to this zoo because of the controversy I'm not sure that this is a good business decision for the zoo.

But this is terrible publicity for the zoo.

It's only bad publicity for those that can't stomach the harsh realities of life. Which is better for all animals involved? Give the giraffe to another zoo or feed the giraffe to other predator zoo animals instead of corn feed beef that they never eat in the wild and give them some variety in their diet?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
rockwater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 9:04:55 PM
At 2/15/2014 3:43:45 PM, sadolite wrote:

It's only bad publicity for those that can't stomach the harsh realities of life. Which is better for all animals involved? Give the giraffe to another zoo or feed the giraffe to other predator zoo animals instead of corn feed beef that they never eat in the wild and give them some variety in their diet?

I admit it's good for the predators. The problem with arguments over how animals should be treated is that people don't agree on how much value the lives of animals have. Is improving the health of predators in captivity worth ending the life of an otherwise healthy giraffe in captivity? I don't know. I'm not a big fan of zoos as tourist attractions in the first place - although they do allow for breeding of some endangered species and they also draw money and attention to environmental causes and encourage people to learn more about nature. In the wild, giraffes are brutally killed by predators all the time. However, once you decide to keep an animal in captivity, you become morally responsible for its life and well being. I'm not sure what the right thing is to do, as I said.

Modern-day people are largely wimps and cowards when it comes to thinking about what really goes on on farms, in animal shelters, etc. We have cute animals that we want no harm to come to and other animals - sometimes of the same species, that we love to eat as long as we never have to see anything having to do with its butchering. I'm not a vegetarian, in case you're curious. Most people reading articles about this will think "kill cute giraffe bad" and also "feed dead giraffe to lions in front of tourists very sick." That equals bad publicity.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 10:07:17 PM
At 2/15/2014 9:49:25 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
sadolite is the funniest poster on the entire internet.

Second best. I've only seen his self-deluded ignorance matched by one person.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 10:29:35 PM
At 2/15/2014 10:07:17 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/15/2014 9:49:25 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
sadolite is the funniest poster on the entire internet.

Second best. I've only seen his self-deluded ignorance matched by one person.

Who?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 10:35:15 PM
You hardly mean me? I'm literally the smartest person on here by 8,000 miles. I am smarter than your dad.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 10:45:12 PM
At 2/15/2014 10:35:15 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
You hardly mean me? I'm literally the smartest person on here by 8,000 miles. I am smarter than your dad.

Who said anything about you? Yer boring remember?
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 1:44:21 AM
At 2/15/2014 10:50:25 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
srs tho, who's the idiot?

Yer dad
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 4:20:03 AM
At 2/16/2014 1:44:21 AM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/15/2014 10:50:25 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
srs tho, who's the idiot?

Yer dad

Thanks man. It means a lot to me that you would say that.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:34:58 AM
At 2/15/2014 9:04:55 PM, rockwater wrote:

I admit it's good for the predators. The problem with arguments over how animals should be treated is that people don't agree on how much value the lives of animals have. Is improving the health of predators in captivity worth ending the life of an otherwise healthy giraffe in captivity? I don't know. I'm not a big fan of zoos as tourist attractions in the first place - although they do allow for breeding of some endangered species and they also draw money and attention to environmental causes and encourage people to learn more about nature. In the wild, giraffes are brutally killed by predators all the time. However, once you decide to keep an animal in captivity, you become morally responsible for its life and well being. I'm not sure what the right thing is to do, as I said.

Modern-day people are largely wimps and cowards when it comes to thinking about what really goes on on farms, in animal shelters, etc. We have cute animals that we want no harm to come to and other animals - sometimes of the same species, that we love to eat as long as we never have to see anything having to do with its butchering. I'm not a vegetarian, in case you're curious. Most people reading articles about this will think "kill cute giraffe bad" and also "feed dead giraffe to lions in front of tourists very sick." That equals bad publicity.

"Is improving the health of predators in captivity worth ending the life of an otherwise healthy giraffe" Yes, The giraffe posed a problem for the zoo, the predator animals didn't. Problem solved. Cost to this zoo or any other zoo to solve the problem $0. benefit to predator animals 100%. How people feel about it who don't have to deal with the problem, irrelevant.

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:49:27 AM
At 2/16/2014 9:34:58 AM, sadolite wrote:

"Is improving the health of predators in captivity worth ending the life of an otherwise healthy giraffe" Yes, The giraffe posed a problem for the zoo, the predator animals didn't. Problem solved. Cost to this zoo or any other zoo to solve the problem $0. benefit to predator animals 100%. How people feel about it who don't have to deal with the problem, irrelevant.

Would you not prefer a world where the giraffe could have lived, sadolite?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:59:50 AM
At 2/16/2014 9:49:27 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

It is not my decision to make. The giraffe doesn't belong in a zoo in the first place. I hate zoo's, they are cruel and sadistic hell holes for animals. The giraffe is better off dead than to live it's life a caged animal for the amusement of half witted aholes that think they know whats best for a giraffe like putting it in a different zoo, rather than do the humane thing and setting it free or putting it out of it horrible miserable existence. In my opinion the zoo keepers were being compassionate to the animal. Now all they have to do is set all the rest free and close that hell hole for animals they call a zoo.

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 10:01:19 AM
At 2/16/2014 9:59:50 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/16/2014 9:49:27 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

It is not my decision to make. The giraffe doesn't belong in a zoo in the first place. I hate zoo's, they are cruel and sadistic hell holes for animals. The giraffe is better off dead than to live it's life a caged animal for the amusement of half witted aholes that think they know whats best for a giraffe like putting it in a different zoo, rather than do the humane thing and setting it free or putting it out of it horrible miserable existence. In my opinion the zoo keepers were being compassionate to the animal. Now all they have to do is set all the rest free and close that hell hole for animals they call a zoo.

Are you looking forward to dying, sadolite?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 10:27:31 AM
I suppose I should clarify. How can I support the actions of the zoo and hate them at the same time. That's easy, it is legal to have zoo's. So long as they are legal I have no right to condemn the zoo. They know more about running a zoo and how to keep animals alive in a living hell hole.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 10:46:24 AM
"Are you looking forward to dying, sadolite?" Not in the least, but when I do I am going to go out sliding, scratched up, banged up, used up and abused kicking and screaming all the way. Then my funeral will be a giant galactic kegger where I will be roasted mercilessly by all who attend, and anyone caught crying will be kicked out.

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 12:02:06 PM
This is ridiculous! They should have just led the Giraffe into the lion's den ALIVE instead of shooting it. And the recording would have been fun to watch. But no, humans have to be so "civilized." It's so much more civilized to put a bullet in it's head then chop it up for the lions. Maybe we should have cooked the meat first, then used a fork and knife and sliced it up into chewable bites for them, after tying bibs around their necks. Our morals are SO skewed it's unbelievable... coming from a society that sterilizes it's lethal-injection needles, I guess I'm not surprised. Anything natural is to be denied in the name of artificiality and civilization. We are so ashamed of our roots we must hide them and deny them. When somebody invents a way to remove feces from our colon without having to take a sh!t it will undoubtedly become a law shortly after that that all citizens must have the technology implemented in public facilities to reduce the risk of hepatitus or something.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 6:05:15 PM
At 2/16/2014 12:02:06 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
This is ridiculous! They should have just led the Giraffe into the lion's den ALIVE instead of shooting it. And the recording would have been fun to watch. But no, humans have to be so "civilized." It's so much more civilized to put a bullet in it's head then chop it up for the lions. Maybe we should have cooked the meat first, then used a fork and knife and sliced it up into chewable bites for them, after tying bibs around their necks. Our morals are SO skewed it's unbelievable... coming from a society that sterilizes it's lethal-injection needles, I guess I'm not surprised. Anything natural is to be denied in the name of artificiality and civilization. We are so ashamed of our roots we must hide them and deny them. When somebody invents a way to remove feces from our colon without having to take a sh!t it will undoubtedly become a law shortly after that that all citizens must have the technology implemented in public facilities to reduce the risk of hepatitus or something.

Actually they did something even better. They got a bunch of school children together and dissected it in front of them so they could learn about giraffe anatomy. Kudos to the zoo keepers!!! Even though I loath zoo's.

tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 10:39:24 AM
At 2/16/2014 6:05:15 PM, sadolite wrote:

Actually they did something even better. They got a bunch of school children together and dissected it in front of them so they could learn about giraffe anatomy. Kudos to the zoo keepers!!! Even though I loath zoo's.

I'd imagine you loathe* most places where educating takes place.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 4:06:53 PM
At 2/17/2014 10:39:24 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
At 2/16/2014 6:05:15 PM, sadolite wrote:

I'd imagine you loathe* most places where educating takes place.

Fuk off