Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 4:45:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
... for the umpteenth time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk...

You know, the most ironic thing about this, is this quote:

"The US campaign for uncensored and free flow of information on an unrestricted internet is a disguised attempt to impose its values on other cultures in the name of democracy."

I suppose China, when trying to pressure Australia to interfere in a private movie awards ceremony where a Uighur critic had a movie nominated, is not at all an attempt to impose its values on other cultures, in the name of "stability."

What a joke!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 4:53:02 AM
At 1/22/2010 4:49:00 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
How dare America give freedom of speech!

China's version of free speech:
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 5:05:26 AM
The Chinese civilisation with a billion citizens and 5,000 years of unbroken history is criticized by a nation of a few hundred million people and a history that only stretches back a mere two hundred and odd years.

How would you expect them to react?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 5:06:28 AM
At 1/22/2010 5:05:26 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
The Chinese civilisation with a billion citizens and 5,000 years of unbroken history is criticized by a nation of a few hundred million people and a history that only stretches back a mere two hundred and odd years.

With grace and humility, as Confucius requires.
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 5:21:06 AM
We handed them over our manufacturing ,we handed them our secret military thechnolagy they have f16's china style aside from satelites they now gave for iran too...!
They are our boss and just as we will grow depandent on their manefacturing,they will control us with that...! This getting mad is just doing it to early...! We are not a real market for all new thechnology russia is..! Russia has oil ...! Russia is now in control of the diamond trade as well,russia has lots of comodaty also india ..! More over china itself bought more cars then we bought...! So soon china could decide that they don't need us at all...! We gave them everything with so many years no more experianced manufacturers and manegers will be left in us ...! China would blocade us if we will not adopt their values...!
They will unite with russia who is emerging as a new whealty customer of china...!
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 5:35:53 AM
Now, normally I don't like this whole "spreading democracy" thing, but in this case I think that everyone should have free speech, and no government should try to pretend that their citizens don't want it. The problem, though, is that a war with China could end pretty badly.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 6:39:01 AM
At 1/22/2010 5:06:28 AM, Volkov wrote:

With grace and humility, as Confucius requires.

lol no. With Teaching Tradition and Gentlemanly behavior (granted; by example, not force) to the uncivilized Barbarians.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 6:55:03 AM
At 1/22/2010 6:39:01 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
lol no. With Teaching Tradition and Gentlemanly behavior (granted; by example, not force) to the uncivilized Barbarians.

Y'know, I don't know how "gentlemanly" that Wall was...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 6:57:34 AM
At 1/22/2010 5:06:28 AM, Volkov wrote:

With grace
Grace as in being a natural Gentelman, yes
and humility,
As in knowing your social place, and obviously conforming to it yes. (but barbarians are at the bottom of that order)

And Confucius did think that there was hope for the Barbarians, that is if a Civilized Gentleman of China went to live among them, they would see the error of their ways and, naturally, try to emulate the gentleman.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 7:11:35 AM
At 1/22/2010 6:57:34 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

And Confucius did think that there was hope for the Barbarians, that is if a Civilized Gentleman of China went to live among them, they would see the error of their ways and, naturally, try to emulate the gentleman.

Though if I'm painting Confucius as a xenophobe, that's not my intention. The only people who he really hated were those people who corrupted his culture, he seems to have pitied the barbarians.

Metaphysics:
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 8:04:49 AM
At 1/22/2010 4:45:20 AM, Volkov wrote:

"The US campaign for uncensored and free flow of information on an unrestricted internet is a disguised attempt to impose its values on other cultures in the name of democracy."

I don't find it ironic at all. The US has done it before, and China has reason to not believe in them (http://en.wikipedia.org...). There's also many other contemporary reasons for which China would distrust the US, including that oh I dunno, the US econ sucks and the US has been trying to get China to appreciate its own currency which would in turn completely destroy China. Which the US has done to a neighbor of theirs earlier, (http://en.wikipedia.org...) and that neighbor has not gotten out of its depression for almost two decades.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 8:09:00 AM
At 1/22/2010 8:04:49 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:

Um... if you hadn't deleted the part that went after this quote, Rezz, you might have realized what irony I was alluding to. Plus, I sincerely doubt this is an issue of "distrusting the US" - China isn't afraid of the internet being open because of external forces.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 8:11:55 AM
At 1/22/2010 8:09:00 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/22/2010 8:04:49 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:

Um... if you hadn't deleted the part that went after this quote, Rezz, you might have realized what irony I was alluding to. Plus, I sincerely doubt this is an issue of "distrusting the US" - China isn't afraid of the internet being open because of external forces.

Oh, sorry.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2010 8:21:21 AM
At 1/22/2010 8:11:55 AM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Oh, sorry.

Its not an issue. You brought up a good point nevertheless. Chinese distrust of the US, or the West in general, is pretty deep. It extends back to when the European powers essentially emasculated the Chinese Empire. Hong Kong wasn't bought because of fair trading with the English, aye.

It'll probably take internal forces before China gets a little less paranoid.