Jump to topic:

Opinion crime?

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 3:07:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Is it a crime? No. But, I can certainly see why she should lose her job. Such things coming from an educator is pretty unacceptable.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 3:09:33 PM
This is just yet another problem that would be solved with the abolition of government schools.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 3:11:14 PM
At 2/16/2010 3:09:33 PM, Reasoning wrote:
This is just yet another problem that would be solved with the abolition of government schools.

No it wouldn't, unless you solution you're advocating is that either the teacher do the things she promised,and/or she gets fired, which is the same result you'd get with a government school.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 3:12:35 PM
At 2/16/2010 3:11:14 PM, Volkov wrote:
No it wouldn't, unless you solution you're advocating is that either the teacher do the things she promised,and/or she gets fired, which is the same result you'd get with a government school.

Then no one would have to pay such an individual against their will.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 3:14:23 PM
At 2/16/2010 3:12:35 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 2/16/2010 3:11:14 PM, Volkov wrote:

teacher swill still write stuff on their facebook and get fired. And fail to see how destroying public schools stops this cycle.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 3:15:16 PM
The student was the one who disrespected her by putting a Bible on her desk. How would that student like it if she left a copy of Mein Kampf on his desk?

Clearly his motives were to introduce this heathen to God because clearly she is not as enlightened as the student.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 3:15:33 PM
At 2/16/2010 3:12:35 PM, Reasoning wrote:

If they don't pay, then she'll lose her job anyways, or leave, because she isn't getting any pay. There is zero f*cking difference!
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 3:17:10 PM
At 2/16/2010 3:14:23 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
teacher swill still write stuff on their facebook and get fired. And fail to see how destroying public schools stops this cycle.

"She shouldn't get fired because she has free speech!"
"We can't have people like that teaching our children!"

No government schools, no one has grounds to complain.

Just another way freedom would make life better.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 3:20:01 PM
At 2/16/2010 3:17:10 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 2/16/2010 3:14:23 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

......She still ends up being fired. A teacher is replaceable. 10-15 students and a bad reputation isn't.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 3:22:54 PM
At 2/16/2010 3:17:10 PM, Reasoning wrote:

... That's the most idiotic thing I've seen today.

With privately run schools, the final decision would still rest on the administrators. The arguments would still be there. The complaints would still occur. The bickering, the compromise, the talks - all would still exist. The threats of pulling funding, of students, for both sides for whatever reason, would still occur.

What, you think just because people can choose not to pay, no arguments will happen? That's ignorant of reality. The school would bargain to keep their funding. The teacher would argue. The parents would argue. Hell, the students would as well. Anyone with a stake in the action would argue for or against.

Complaints don't just go away because "freedom" is there. If you believe that, then you're clueless on the economics of any decision. The bargaining. The dealings. The issues. LRN2HUMAN.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 3:23:37 PM
At 2/16/2010 3:20:01 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
......She still ends up being fired. A teacher is replaceable. 10-15 students and a bad reputation isn't.

Does she? That depends. Some schools would fire her because of the incident and some wouldn't. The most efficient school policies would end up on top and would be replicated.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 10:57:19 PM
lol. children evangelists getting their teacher fired.

for serious though, people b1tch about their jobs on facebook with some regularity. people b1tch about their teachers on facebook with just as much, if not more fervor. i don't get the FIRE HER controversy.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 8:25:59 AM
The state doesn't have customers. It's goal isn't, and shouldn't be, to sell anything (though it seems as though it often is).
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
youhavejustlostthegame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 8:27:29 AM
At 2/17/2010 8:25:59 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
The state doesn't have customers. It's goal isn't, and shouldn't be, to sell anything (though it seems as though it often is).

Are you kidding me? Everyone has customers. The state has it's taxpayers as customers. If someone on the state is insulting taxpayers then he's insulting customers.

Government is a business like any other.

Any time you have a job, you have a customer.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2010 11:31:55 PM
At 2/17/2010 8:00:36 AM, youhavejustlostthegame wrote:
So you're saying if I posted on a public bulletin board that my customers suck that I would retain my job?

depends doesn't it- whether the customers see it and complain :P

as for this lady, she wasn't incompetent at her job, nor was she on the job when she made these comments, nor did she direct said comments to the students themselves; it was harmless venting in her free time, and i don't think thats sufficient grounds to lose a job over
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 6:57:50 AM
It's not just customers. They're kids. An incident should like this should show that the teacher is a pretty spiteful psycho, and definitely not someone to teach kids. Fire her.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 7:12:33 AM
At 2/17/2010 8:25:59 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Volkov thinks of states in the way we think of corporations in a free market.
And apparently, so does Askbob.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?