Jump to topic:

The use of video or voice recording devices

paigeb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 4:49:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
More prominent in political events, people are secretly recording conversations only meant for that group, and that is an infringement on the right to privacy. I am going to write a bill for legislative debate. Feel free to express your opinions on the issue, and how to implement the issue itself. I am not sure what government agency that would implement this or what should be the consequences if someone does record and is caught.
Also, how should I define a private event in the bill? Thanks!
Paige
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 7:15:24 PM
At 8/6/2014 4:49:19 PM, paigeb wrote:
More prominent in political events, people are secretly recording conversations only meant for that group, and that is an infringement on the right to privacy. I am going to write a bill for legislative debate. Feel free to express your opinions on the issue, and how to implement the issue itself. I am not sure what government agency that would implement this or what should be the consequences if someone does record and is caught.

There is no private event between two people, unless a contract is involved.
How can I have an expectation to privacy in my home, if I allow others in it?
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 7:16:16 PM
Let me ask it this way:
If you have your way, does that mean that witness testimony is also a breach of privacy?
paigeb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 7:43:42 PM
At 8/6/2014 7:15:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I think inviting others into your home, there is still a level of privacy expected. For example, Donald Sterling. I in no way agree with what he said, but she secretly recorded him, in the boundaries of his own home. He had no idea he was being recorded, and that ruined him. Do you think he would of said those racist comments if he knew he was being recorded? I am making an assumption, but I do not think he would. He knew the consequences of his words if he was being recorded. BUT he did not know.
I also think there is a difference between instances involving crime, and I should of mentioned it. Like California law, anything involving proving someone is committing a crime should be allowed. Witness testimony is, also, involving a crime and having knowledge about it, which would not be considered an infringement of privacy. When a person is arrested/ in trial, a person is not given all the rights of a citizen obeying the law. I think it is important to keep that in mind.
Paige
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 7:45:42 PM
At 8/6/2014 7:43:42 PM, paigeb wrote:
At 8/6/2014 7:15:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I think inviting others into your home, there is still a level of privacy expected. For example, Donald Sterling. I in no way agree with what he said, but she secretly recorded him, in the boundaries of his own home. He had no idea he was being recorded, and that ruined him. Do you think he would of said those racist comments if he knew he was being recorded? I am making an assumption, but I do not think he would. He knew the consequences of his words if he was being recorded. BUT he did not know.
So, assuming she wasn't recording him, could she go to the papers with the story?
What does the fact you are recorded have to do with anything, if I am free to tell all anyway?

I also think there is a difference between instances involving crime, and I should of mentioned it. Like California law, anything involving proving someone is committing a crime should be allowed. Witness testimony is, also, involving a crime and having knowledge about it, which would not be considered an infringement of privacy. When a person is arrested/ in trial, a person is not given all the rights of a citizen obeying the law. I think it is important to keep that in mind.

The above is what I meant by witness.