Jump to topic:

The Beheading of James Wright Foley.

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 11:11:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I caution those who desire to see the truth.

http://www.liveleak.com...

Again, I caution you before watching this video.

For those who are emotionally stern, and capable of seeing gruesome acts, and who desire to see the action first-hand, please continue to follow the link.

This is the real, you will see his final message - which I personally felt was being forced out of him against every fiber of his being - especially when he speaks directly to his brother... this is really hard to watch, but I feel it must be shared for those who are capable and ready to see what Obama is now having to respond to.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 11:34:16 PM
Obama's response:

http://www.nytimes.com...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 8:19:13 AM
At 8/20/2014 11:11:42 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

For those who are emotionally stern, and capable of seeing gruesome acts, and who desire to see the action first-hand, please continue to follow the link.

This is the real, you will see his final message - which I personally felt was being forced out of him against every fiber of his being - especially when he speaks directly to his brother... this is really hard to watch, but I feel it must be shared for those who are capable and ready to see what Obama is now having to respond to.

That is sad beyond words. A few things about the video.
* The guy who starts cutting off Jame's head has a British accent.

* I find it somewhat interesting that the video shows the islamic radical starting to cut his throat but cuts out before any blood. They then show James head sitting on his back with very little blood by his neck on the ground.

I don't know who has to analyze this, but I'm traumatized from watching it twice.

It surely stirs up the emotions and first reaction is to go get the f'ers. I'm somewhat in check though. We have to remember that it was thought that James Foley was captured by pro-Assad forces in Syria. We get in these situations, our intel sucks, and then emotion causes us to bust through the barn doors.

The reality is that there are many political forces in play in Syria, Iraq, Iran, etc. Each one with its own agenda and Lebanon demonstrated that there becomes all these strange associations as factions work together just to move on to different partners as things change.

We can't fix the middle east because odds are any group we support to take on isis will end up being involved in other f'ed up shat later on.

We need to get the f out of there. Trust me they will get the oil out of the ground and sell it to us.

Check this article out that has speculation on the Assad - isis tie and how Foely got into isis hands and other possible motives of Assad.

http://www.businessinsider.com...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 2:49:41 PM
At 8/21/2014 8:19:13 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/20/2014 11:11:42 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

That is sad beyond words. A few things about the video.
* The guy who starts cutting off Jame's head has a British accent.

Yeah, I picked up on that as well. Apparently there are alot of international citizens heading to Syria/Iran to fight for the Rise of an Islamic State. I was even reading one about a Minnesota man who abandoned his wife and kids to go over there and fight.

* I find it somewhat interesting that the video shows the islamic radical starting to cut his throat but cuts out before any blood. They then show James head sitting on his back with very little blood by his neck on the ground.

Me too!! Idk why they cut out the actual beheading part... I'm assuming the knife wasn't able to do the job alone and it got a little messy. He had a large amount of dried blood all over his face post-beheading which leads me to believe it did get a little messy. Wouldn't be surprised if they had to take out a machete or axe to finish the job.

I don't know who has to analyze this, but I'm traumatized from watching it twice.

I am sick, I watched it about 12 times and paused several times to analyze the still-frame images including right before they cut-out the rest of the beheading. I saw literally no blood from the point they started slicing his neck to the point where the video cuts. I could hear him gargle a little bit but saw no blood even during a pause. It left me somewhat perplexed.

It surely stirs up the emotions and first reaction is to go get the f'ers. I'm somewhat in check though. We have to remember that it was thought that James Foley was captured by pro-Assad forces in Syria. We get in these situations, our intel sucks, and then emotion causes us to bust through the barn doors.

You're right. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever group was holding him - they sold him to ISIS, or joined ISIS thus making their prisoners - ISIS prisoners. I've read that selling hostages to the highest bidder is common practice over there.

The reality is that there are many political forces in play in Syria, Iraq, Iran, etc. Each one with its own agenda and Lebanon demonstrated that there becomes all these strange associations as factions work together just to move on to different partners as things change.

We can't fix the middle east because odds are any group we support to take on isis will end up being involved in other f'ed up shat later on.

Yup, I mean after all, we are the ones that started Al Qaeda and funded their training and weapon cache's back in the 80's to fight off the soviets. It's no wonder they then turned onto us. Obviously we've had presidents whom never read 'The Prince' or else they'd have known better than to create a mercenary force that has no real ties to their masters (US at the time).

We need to get the f out of there. Trust me they will get the oil out of the ground and sell it to us.

Yup. Agreed. I think the major concern is them becoming a nuclear state eventually which would pose incredibly serious problems for Israel. That's the only reasons I believe we are even vested in this - oil and protecting our sole ally over there. On the other hand, Idk why America doesn't just have Israeli Mossad take care of them. O wait, it's because Israel calls the shots - not America... silly me.

Check this article out that has speculation on the Assad - isis tie and how Foely got into isis hands and other possible motives of Assad.

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Wow, brilliant article! So basically, Assad created them - sold James to them as part of the creation - and is now bombing them to show America it can be an ally against terrorism. Fascinating - although not too unbelievable.

O, the games they play...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 3:02:40 PM
At 8/21/2014 2:49:41 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Do *not* watch the video.

The views on the video is what drives these kind of operations.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 3:34:03 PM
I don't think views of the video make a difference. It is more about the mainstream reporting of it that they are concerned with.

In fact, getting more to watch it probably has the opposite effect of creating much more anger and resolve against them than it does striking terror and fear.

I hate to even mention this, but it seems it could also be used to rally moderate Muslims and create some action against those who pervert their religion.

I hate to make it into propaganda, but rallying the emotions of others is a critical piece of garnering support. I really don't think we should do that, but I'm just angry now.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 4:15:46 PM
At 8/21/2014 3:02:40 PM, Cermank wrote:

I only shared it for kindred spirits to witness one of the key events of late in this entire scenario.
ric_23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 4:18:34 PM
If this was meant to be a 'message to america' it would make sense (from ISIS point of view) to put the whole video of the act. I mean, ISIS are supposed to be fearless people, so i dont think they would edit the video like that for fear of internet restrictions.
Obviously they recorded the whole thing, so it would be more shocking a video where you actually see the beheading.

No disrespect to James Foley and his family but something is not right.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 4:20:57 PM
At 8/21/2014 4:15:46 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I only shared it for kindred spirits to witness one of the key events of late in this entire scenario.

I know. I set out to watch it too last night- but was stopped by literally flood of reddit comments warning of how this would be playing right into their traps.

Its sad.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 4:28:41 PM
At 8/21/2014 4:20:57 PM, Cermank wrote:

I know. I set out to watch it too last night- but was stopped by literally flood of reddit comments warning of how this would be playing right into their traps.

Its sad.

What do you mean by playing right into their traps? I'm missing what their underlying intention would be... maybe could you link me to the reddit thread about it so I can see what you mean?

I do agree that it was sad. It was also infuriating, humbling, graphically disturbing and troubling. I was even more saddened with Obama's response - although I know it must be done. I fear the other man they have will meet the same fate.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 4:38:31 PM
At 8/21/2014 4:28:41 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Its sad.

What do you mean by playing right into their traps? I'm missing what their underlying intention would be... maybe could you link me to the reddit thread about it so I can see what you mean?

I do agree that it was sad. It was also infuriating, humbling, graphically disturbing and troubling. I was even more saddened with Obama's response - although I know it must be done. I fear the other man they have will meet the same fate.

When you give a terrorist or bully attention, they get worse. If they're quietly killed off, it hurts their pride and gets the job done.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 4:40:46 PM

Its sad.

So here's the comment that made sense at the time, but I'm not so sure now.

"I get the train wreck attraction to these sort of things, but people really shouldn't watch it. They are monitoring the statistics of how many viewers and where they are coming from. You are really putting the blood on your hands of the next victim. Millions watching the video only shows them how beneficial it is to kill another like that on video. Even if it is a mirror, they can see the view count and that alone makes them want to do more. Please avoid these type of videos if anything to save the next person's life."

The reason I didn't watch it though is because their family didn't want him to be remembered as a person who bowed under pressure and renounced his country. They appealed the people not to watch the video . The above reason doesn't really make sense though, given that this is in every national/ international newspaper and stuff. Plus the video they showed is edited, so I doubt the views are being counted by anyone. I didn't really think it through.

Yeah, it does seem reactionary, tbf. I'm not sure of an alternative course of action though, so I guess we'll have to wait and watch.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 5:13:19 PM
At 8/21/2014 4:38:31 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Its sad.

When you give a terrorist or bully attention, they get worse. If they're quietly killed off, it hurts their pride and gets the job done.

Oh okay, I can see that. Unfortunately, you usually need something to incentive the powers-that-be to gather the forces necessary to get the job done.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 5:17:02 PM
At 8/21/2014 4:40:46 PM, Cermank wrote:

Its sad.

So here's the comment that made sense at the time, but I'm not so sure now.

"I get the train wreck attraction to these sort of things, but people really shouldn't watch it. They are monitoring the statistics of how many viewers and where they are coming from. You are really putting the blood on your hands of the next victim. Millions watching the video only shows them how beneficial it is to kill another like that on video. Even if it is a mirror, they can see the view count and that alone makes them want to do more. Please avoid these type of videos if anything to save the next person's life."

That's retarded. Seriously. If they want to kill someone, they'll just do it. They don't need a high view count to act as an incentive, lol.

The reason I didn't watch it though is because their family didn't want him to be remembered as a person who bowed under pressure and renounced his country. They appealed the people not to watch the video . The above reason doesn't really make sense though, given that this is in every national/ international newspaper and stuff. Plus the video they showed is edited, so I doubt the views are being counted by anyone. I didn't really think it through.

I agree. The reason you didn't watch it due to the family's request is much more noble than the reason that other person gives above. I didn't see that request by them, just stumbled upon this whole situation last night - kinda late to the party I guess you could say.

Yeah, it does seem reactionary, tbf. I'm not sure of an alternative course of action though, so I guess we'll have to wait and watch.

indeed.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 9:22:45 AM
At 8/21/2014 4:38:31 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Its sad.

I'm not certain about that. These are not just game show hosts looking at their nielson rating and hoping more people watch their video. Indeed their point to form a reaction, but I disagree that the best reaction from our view point is a neutral reaction of almost ignoring it like it didn't happen.

The reality is that it did happen and from a perspective of organizing energy, effort, resources to go after this group there has to be pressure upon or government to do the right thing and go after these people in the right manor.

Look at history and all the American victims of terrorist acts where justice was never done because that outrage never developed and our government had alternative motives to not go after those responsible.

Pan Am 103 is a good example of that were the people in Libya' intel group responsible never were brought to justice because there was a lack of resolve from Bush.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 6:43:02 PM
At 8/22/2014 9:22:45 AM, slo1 wrote:

Look at history and all the American victims of terrorist acts where justice was never done because that outrage never developed and our government had alternative motives to not go after those responsible.

Pan Am 103 is a good example of that were the people in Libya' intel group responsible never were brought to justice because there was a lack of resolve from Bush.

I think there was plenty of outrage over the Iranian hostages...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 7:43:47 AM
At 8/22/2014 6:43:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/22/2014 9:22:45 AM, slo1 wrote:

I think there was plenty of outrage over the Iranian hostages...

Pan Am 103 was an airplane that bombed in mid air and crashed in Scotland. A number of Americans were on board as it was US bound including a group of high schoolers. Only one person was ever jailed for that act of terror. It was well over a decade that Gadafi finally admitted that while he did not order the attack he accepted responsibility and paid compensation to the victims families. Many speculate that his willingness to do so was result of wanting to gain better relationship with the west. There still much debate on whether Gadafi ordered it, but seeing how only one guy was imprisoned later to be released from prision to return home to Libya a hero, true justice was never found. America completely forgot about it.
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 6:03:41 PM
I see LiveLeak have said they will no longer host these videos if any more are made. A good call by them I think.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 2:53:56 PM
It appears that Steven Sotloff was murdered as ISIS said they would.

It mentions the plea his mother gave to ISIS asking for his release. It is another sad day. It is clear that ISIS is not an institution which can exist peacefully in this world without causing pain. While there are many other such organizations, it is better to deal with them now rather than later.

I still don't think it is our primary fight. The only group we can remotely trust are the Kurds. We should be arming the Kurds to the teeth with the understanding they don't go beyond the Iraq territory.

Let Assad deal with the little bit-ches in Syria. Until he fails they will be contained on a two front war.
Osiris_Rosenthorne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 11:14:19 PM
At 9/2/2014 2:53:56 PM, slo1 wrote:

It mentions the plea his mother gave to ISIS asking for his release. It is another sad day. It is clear that ISIS is not an institution which can exist peacefully in this world without causing pain. While there are many other such organizations, it is better to deal with them now rather than later.

I still don't think it is our primary fight. The only group we can remotely trust are the Kurds. We should be arming the Kurds to the teeth with the understanding they don't go beyond the Iraq territory.

Let Assad deal with the little bit-ches in Syria. Until he fails they will be contained on a two front war.

Apparently IS has an annual revenue of 100-200 million. 9/11 cost al Qaeda 450000. Now, what do you think IS wants to do with their revenue, build hospitals and universities? How many times does somebody say we want to kill you before one begins to think, maybe he wants to kill me?
I probably hate everything you stand for - and on.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 12:08:14 PM
At 9/3/2014 11:14:19 PM, Osiris_Rosenthorne wrote:

Apparently IS has an annual revenue of 100-200 million. 9/11 cost al Qaeda 450000. Now, what do you think IS wants to do with their revenue, build hospitals and universities? How many times does somebody say we want to kill you before one begins to think, maybe he wants to kill me?

Yeah, i can see you really fear for your life. You hiding in the basement? Somebody making a threat does not mean loose all analysis and logic of the situation and go bat shat crazy to kill them first.

First things first that number of $ mainly comes from looting the towns they took over. You really think they can keep that up?

Secondly, don't you think they are a bit more focused on killing the Muslims who controlled the territory they are trying to take over?

We need to fight IS with our brains not our emotional response.
Osiris_Rosenthorne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 12:24:47 PM
At 9/4/2014 12:08:14 PM, slo1 wrote:

Yeah, i can see you really fear for your life. You hiding in the basement? Somebody making a threat does not mean loose all analysis and logic of the situation and go bat shat crazy to kill them first.

First things first that number of $ mainly comes from looting the towns they took over. You really think they can keep that up?

Secondly, don't you think they are a bit more focused on killing the Muslims who controlled the territory they are trying to take over?

Who ever said anything about fear? ISIS are clear on their message and intent. The resurrection of the caliphate. How is it logical when an enemy declares that he wants you dead and do as much harm to you as possible, not to take him seriously. Such a response is akin to that of Chamberlain and the appeasers towards the nazis, or the unilateralists and the peace movement of the Cold War. You do realise there's strong evidence that Isis was behind an attack on that Jewish Museum in Belgium, and the huge number of fighters they have from foreign countries? What do you think these people are going to do, come home after crucifying and butchering villages to settle down in the local chipper?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 1:29:23 PM
At 9/4/2014 12:24:47 PM, Osiris_Rosenthorne wrote:

Who ever said anything about fear? ISIS are clear on their message and intent. The resurrection of the caliphate. How is it logical when an enemy declares that he wants you dead and do as much harm to you as possible, not to take him seriously. Such a response is akin to that of Chamberlain and the appeasers towards the nazis, or the unilateralists and the peace movement of the Cold War. You do realise there's strong evidence that Isis was behind an attack on that Jewish Museum in Belgium, and the huge number of fighters they have from foreign countries? What do you think these people are going to do, come home after crucifying and butchering villages to settle down in the local chipper?

Who said to not take them seriously?
Osiris_Rosenthorne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 1:43:39 PM
At 9/4/2014 1:29:23 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 9/4/2014 12:24:47 PM, Osiris_Rosenthorne wrote:

Who said to not take them seriously?

You said they were to busy killing Muslims in their own country, and I interpreted that to mean, they won't hurt us over here. My apologies if that should be incorrect.