Jump to topic:

Isis

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 10:40:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Notice how their videos of the beheadings utilize western propaganda techniques and have a very "Hollywood" feel to them with the dramatic editing and high quality picture? Makes me wonder who is playing as the bank for their activities...

Do you think the Russians are funding these efforts? What measures do you think America will take if the Islamic State grows to threaten Israel?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
NiamC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 10:47:18 AM
At 9/15/2014 10:40:39 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Notice how their videos of the beheadings utilize western propaganda techniques and have a very "Hollywood" feel to them with the dramatic editing and high quality picture? Makes me wonder who is playing as the bank for their activities...

Do you think the Russians are funding these efforts? What measures do you think America will take if the Islamic State grows to threaten Israel?

Hmmm... I swear that some of the isis hostage footage was 1080p.... this is not a joke
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 11:27:40 AM
At 9/15/2014 10:47:18 AM, NiamC wrote:

Hmmm... I swear that some of the isis hostage footage was 1080p.... this is not a joke

I agree completely. I can't help but think these videos are stuff I'd expect to come out of Hollywood. The dramatic editing, high quality images, and overall delivery. They are unlike any previous terrorist group, completely playing America at its own game. It's amusing but scary at the same time because whoever is backing this group and making the calls on the final edits is clearly someone who understands western media methods. Whoever is banking these efforts - they are not the same people who decided to use home cameras in caves. They have serious skill and knowledge of how to make an impact on Americans by using methods Americans are exposed to daily on their own televisions. It's like, the first real challenge we've ever had against a group that isn't a nation yet.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 11:31:26 AM

Rich oil barons in the Persian Gulf.

Do you think the Russians are funding these efforts?

I think it is highly possible that certain military technology they have could have come the illegal sale of Russian arms to them, but no, I don't think the Russians are bankrolling ISIS. I do, however, think Putin is going to capitalize on the opening for him to do bad things that ISIS creates.

What measures do you think America will take if the Islamic State grows to threaten Israel?

I think ISIL already threatens Israel, and I think that what you see the US doing now is probably in response to that, among many other concerns that ISIL presents.
Tsar of DDO
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 11:35:49 AM
At 9/15/2014 11:27:40 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I agree completely. I can't help but think these videos are stuff I'd expect to come out of Hollywood. The dramatic editing, high quality images, and overall delivery. They are unlike any previous terrorist group, completely playing America at its own game. It's amusing but scary at the same time because whoever is backing this group and making the calls on the final edits is clearly someone who understands western media methods. Whoever is banking these efforts - they are not the same people who decided to use home cameras in caves. They have serious skill and knowledge of how to make an impact on Americans by using methods Americans are exposed to daily on their own televisions. It's like, the first real challenge we've ever had against a group that isn't a nation yet.

can you show us the video is question?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 8:12:25 PM
At 9/15/2014 11:31:26 AM, YYW wrote:

That's interesting, but why them? What would they have to gain from all of this?

I think it is highly possible that certain military technology they have could have come the illegal sale of Russian arms to them, but no, I don't think the Russians are bankrolling ISIS. I do, however, think Putin is going to capitalize on the opening for him to do bad things that ISIS creates.

I'd agree with that statement fully.

What measures do you think America will take if the Islamic State grows to threaten Israel?

I think ISIL already threatens Israel, and I think that what you see the US doing now is probably in response to that, among many other concerns that ISIL presents.

I would say they are a threat to Israel as well. I'm just surprised that more hasn't been said about it. Has ISIL called out Israel yet?

Sidenote - are they now officially known as ISIL instead of ISIS?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 8:13:37 PM
At 9/15/2014 11:35:49 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

I shared it already in another thread. Here is the link to that thread and the video link can be found in the first post. http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 8:49:08 PM
At 9/15/2014 8:12:25 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

That's interesting, but why them? What would they have to gain from all of this?

Rationally? Nothing. Many, nonetheless, subscribe to a radicalized variety of Islam that compels jihad against all those who do not see things there way, and they see funding ISIL as an extension of that divine prerogative.

I would say they are a threat to Israel as well. I'm just surprised that more hasn't been said about it. Has ISIL called out Israel yet?

Obama and a lot of political figures refer to it is ISIL instead of ISIS for political reasons. This article may shed light on why:

http://www.washingtonpost.com...
Tsar of DDO
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 9:13:43 PM
I do, however, think Putin is going to capitalize on the opening for him to do bad things that ISIS creates.

Stop making a fool of yourself dude. It's for nothing.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 9:17:33 PM
"Rationally? Nothing."

lmfao. Oh, whatever. ISIS making a video in a hotel lobby means they're being backed by oil barons btw? No, that's ridiculous.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 9:19:38 PM
At 9/15/2014 9:17:33 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
"Rationally? Nothing."

lmfao. Oh, whatever. ISIS making a video in a hotel lobby means they're being backed by oil barons btw? No, that's ridiculous.

Oh, you guys are talking about ISIS having HD video recorders... F*ck, that is threatening...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 6:39:33 AM
They are treacherous thieves, known for their will to rob anything that becomes affected by their area of dominance; banks are some of their targeted areas. They have people of various expertises among them, such as chemists. There has reportedly been a recent discovery of a laptop that belongs to one of the terrorists, and the data contains chemical engineering plans and more.

I doubt it. Why would they?
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 2:12:05 PM
At 9/15/2014 8:13:37 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I shared it already in another thread. Here is the link to that thread and the video link can be found in the first post. http://www.debate.org...

Too bad it's gone.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 3:08:27 PM
At 9/15/2014 8:49:08 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/15/2014 8:12:25 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Rationally? Nothing. Many, nonetheless, subscribe to a radicalized variety of Islam that compels jihad against all those who do not see things there way, and they see funding ISIL as an extension of that divine prerogative.

Yeah, that makes sense. I suppose with so many people leaving to fight for them, it only makes sense that those with money would help in their own ways as well like funding their efforts or making "donations" to their cause.

Obama and a lot of political figures refer to it is ISIL instead of ISIS for political reasons. This article may shed light on why:

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

Thanks for sharing this article. I see what the debate is regarding the name (I'll use ISIL from now on), and am actually surprised to see that they know themselves as "DAIISH" instead of ISIL or ISIS.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 3:15:39 PM
At 9/16/2014 6:39:33 AM, Mirza wrote:
They are treacherous thieves, known for their will to rob anything that becomes affected by their area of dominance; banks are some of their targeted areas. They have people of various expertises among them, such as chemists. There has reportedly been a recent discovery of a laptop that belongs to one of the terrorists, and the data contains chemical engineering plans and more.

Wow, that's interesting! I wonder if they have any ties to the Ebola scare we had recently... I was reading that the virus was stolen from a Liberian clinic last month.

I'm not saying they are responsible for that - but I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to get their hands on it themselves or are planning on sleeper cells planting the virus.

I doubt it. Why would they?

To capitalize on de-stabilizing the region. The only countries between Russia and Iraq/Syria are Turkey and Georgia. With Putin trying to take back control of his neighboring countries such as Ukraine it wouldn't be too far stretched for him to fund these terrorists so they keep America busy while he does his thing just north of them.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 3:17:17 PM
At 9/16/2014 2:12:05 PM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

Too bad it's gone.

Dang, I'm sorry. I didn't know they had taken the video down.

This link still works: http://truthuncensored.net...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 2:49:00 AM
At 9/16/2014 3:15:39 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Wow, that's interesting! I wonder if they have any ties to the Ebola scare we had recently... I was reading that the virus was stolen from a Liberian clinic last month.
Unlikely. However, "biological terrorism," as it seems to be called, would be involving spreading such similar diseases. A possibility would be by developing grenades that could be used in areas with many people present, such as stadiums.

To capitalize on de-stabilizing the region. The only countries between Russia and Iraq/Syria are Turkey and Georgia. With Putin trying to take back control of his neighboring countries such as Ukraine it wouldn't be too far stretched for him to fund these terrorists so they keep America busy while he does his thing just north of them.
It is not in their interest to aid the IS in growing, especially because they dislike Russia's control over Muslim-populated areas, such as Chechnya. The Middle East is unstable, and IS has numerous ways of sustaining themselves financially, thus Russia's aid would not be very wise. It is possible, but seems unlikely.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 10:23:17 AM
At 9/16/2014 3:17:17 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Too bad it's gone.

saw it, what a terror..

I am doubtful though as to how they can manage to get those prisoner who are about to be beheaded to speak up against the US?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 4:23:37 PM
At 9/17/2014 10:23:17 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

Too bad it's gone.

saw it, what a terror..

I am doubtful though as to how they can manage to get those prisoner who are about to be beheaded to speak up against the US?

I would usually say that they just "break" them mentally over time - but it looked like James was having a hard time saying those things when he was speaking to his brother. He definitely hesitated which means that they must not have broken him completely. There was still some fight left in him, but he must have just accepted that it was a hopeless situation and was prepared to die.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 4:26:07 PM
At 9/17/2014 2:49:00 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/16/2014 3:15:39 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Unlikely. However, "biological terrorism," as it seems to be called, would be involving spreading such similar diseases. A possibility would be by developing grenades that could be used in areas with many people present, such as stadiums.

Oh yeah, grenades or really any kind of package that can make it into populated areas with ease. It's scary to think that this might be the next form of warfare. Technically we've been doing this since the Indians when we gave them blankets infested with small pox but it's much scarier today knowing just how deadly and virtually undetectable some viruses can be.

It is not in their interest to aid the IS in growing, especially because they dislike Russia's control over Muslim-populated areas, such as Chechnya. The Middle East is unstable, and IS has numerous ways of sustaining themselves financially, thus Russia's aid would not be very wise. It is possible, but seems unlikely.

Okay, I can see your point.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2014 5:31:05 PM

i cant post the link in here but if you want it, ill send it to you in a pm
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 11:25:23 AM
At 9/17/2014 4:23:37 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Too bad it's gone.

saw it, what a terror..

I would usually say that they just "break" them mentally over time - but it looked like James was having a hard time saying those things when he was speaking to his brother. He definitely hesitated which means that they must not have broken him completely. There was still some fight left in him, but he must have just accepted that it was a hopeless situation and was prepared to die.

hmnn I doubt it pretty much, he is a man with nothing to lose, not even some degree of painless death (decapitation with dull knife must be very, very painful), why would any form of mental stress would have mean anything to him?

Physical torture make a lot more sense to me - as in at least it is probably less painful than what he's experiencing...

But it should probably take a lot of time and effort to break a person with a death sentence without any reasonable bargain (in conventional torture, you just need to say a word to stop it). Without subject all of them under extreme torture at once, I think it isn't possible to find the right person to execute at the right time.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 11:27:57 AM
At 9/17/2014 5:31:05 PM, Mikal wrote:

i cant post the link in here but if you want it, ill send it to you in a pm

Already saw it, thanks for the offer though ;D

or rather, it is such a grotesque.. ... so no thanks should be a better word :P
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 11:32:25 AM
Um... Their production quality could have been achieved using Windows Movie Maker and an 800 dollar videocamera. What makes you think it would have cost anymore than a few thousand dollars to make?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 3:21:42 PM
At 9/18/2014 11:25:23 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

Too bad it's gone.

saw it, what a terror..

hmnn I doubt it pretty much, he is a man with nothing to lose, not even some degree of painless death (decapitation with dull knife must be very, very painful), why would any form of mental stress would have mean anything to him?

See, that's what I thought too! I even said that to my roommate when we first watched it. I was like, "he has nothing to lose, I'd try to fight them right then and there" I mean it's pretty understandable right? I know that the camera cuts out at-least once while he is talking, so maybe something happened there that they edited out. It's hard for me to wrap my head around it as well though. Why didn't he make a last stand or something?

What I meant with "breaking him" mentally is that it's just a method of psychological warfare. They break their will to live over time using torture methods that would be both physical and mental. Like exposing someone to a certain song on repeat for 24 hours strait while injecting them with adrenalin so they can't fall asleep or pass out. Or feeding them their own feces for several nights in a row. There's many ways to break someone. Even in rape/kidnapping cases the victim is sometimes broken mentally due to the continuous sexual assaults. Anal raping a man is common among Russian mobsters to break the will of people who refuse to pay them.

So, they could have done stuff like that to James while he was imprisoned by them. At a certain point, the victim will just do whatever - they're blank slates, emotionless slaves who bend to the will of their handler. BUT, with James he didn't look broken - which throws a wrench in my theory completely and I am aware of that. I just can't think of any other reason as to why he'd do it unless I actually consider some of the more extreme conspiracy theories, but I don't like accepting such things without evidence.

Physical torture make a lot more sense to me - as in at least it is probably less painful than what he's experiencing...

But it should probably take a lot of time and effort to break a person with a death sentence without any reasonable bargain (in conventional torture, you just need to say a word to stop it). Without subject all of them under extreme torture at once, I think it isn't possible to find the right person to execute at the right time.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 12:19:44 PM
At 9/18/2014 3:21:42 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Too bad it's gone.

saw it, what a terror..

See, that's what I thought too! I even said that to my roommate when we first watched it. I was like, "he has nothing to lose, I'd try to fight them right then and there" I mean it's pretty understandable right? I know that the camera cuts out at-least once while he is talking, so maybe something happened there that they edited out. It's hard for me to wrap my head around it as well though. Why didn't he make a last stand or something?

What I meant with "breaking him" mentally is that it's just a method of psychological warfare. They break their will to live over time using torture methods that would be both physical and mental. Like exposing someone to a certain song on repeat for 24 hours strait while injecting them with adrenalin so they can't fall asleep or pass out. Or feeding them their own feces for several nights in a row. There's many ways to break someone. Even in rape/kidnapping cases the victim is sometimes broken mentally due to the continuous sexual assaults. Anal raping a man is common among Russian mobsters to break the will of people who refuse to pay them.

So, they could have done stuff like that to James while he was imprisoned by them. At a certain point, the victim will just do whatever - they're blank slates, emotionless slaves who bend to the will of their handler. BUT, with James he didn't look broken - which throws a wrench in my theory completely and I am aware of that. I just can't think of any other reason as to why he'd do it unless I actually consider some of the more extreme conspiracy theories, but I don't like accepting such things without evidence.

He looks broken mentally to me, from his monotonous, tired, and clearly scripted speech, those are a signs of someone who are very exhausted mentally. I just don't feel like it could be brought to the point that someone will simply following order that led to their painful death. You need more pain in order to bargain with yet another pain, plus it doesn't sound like an efficient way to break up someone.

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 1:20:24 PM
At 9/19/2014 12:19:44 PM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 9/18/2014 3:21:42 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Too bad it's gone.

saw it, what a terror..

He looks broken mentally to me, from his monotonous, tired, and clearly scripted speech, those are a signs of someone who are very exhausted mentally. I just don't feel like it could be brought to the point that someone will simply following order that led to their painful death. You need more pain in order to bargain with yet another pain, plus it doesn't sound like an efficient way to break up someone.

So then, how do you think they got him to say those things?

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 3:10:15 PM

So then, how do you think they got him to say those things?

Why do you think I asked ;P
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2014 3:23:59 PM

Russia has nothing to gain. Remember who sought out Ukraine in the beginning-America- and then openly lied about what was going on, deliberately did not include key information, and incited revolution in the country with the goal or reorganizing oil and natural gas dependency to favor the EU and US.
What's more, the man beheading the aid worker from Britain had a British accent, and America has a long history of working despicable deeds with the aid of Britain. Take the arming and training of the Khmer Rouge for instance. Russia didn't do that.
You can call me Mark if you like.