CitizenFour

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 5:00:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/27/2014 2:52:23 AM, fazz wrote:
Much Talk. Very Debate. Watch: https://www.youtube.com...

Well, it's simply a given that in our current world-system, with its deeply inbuilt plutocratic power structure, technology is going to be utilized to enhance the capacity of agencies, whose true function is protecting & preserving said plutocratic power structure, to surveil and control the citizenry. Yes, ostensibly the national security state continues to exist and technologically beef up its capabilities in our post-Cold War world to safeguard us all from villains such as Al-Qaeda, ISIS, and other incarnations of the suspiciously convenient scourge of "terrorism", but anyone with the slightest capacity for critical thinking realizes that the NSA, CIA, Department of Homeland Security, et al., in fact function primarily to safeguard the American-dominated global politico-economic food chain and the elites sitting pretty at the top of it. Well, the upshot then is that it's not at all surprising that technological progress provides the powers that be with better tools of oppression and thereby makes ordinary people less free.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 6:13:20 PM
At 10/28/2014 5:00:17 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 10/27/2014 2:52:23 AM, fazz wrote:
Much Talk. Very Debate. Watch: https://www.youtube.com...

Well, it's simply a given that in our current world-system, with its deeply inbuilt plutocratic power structure, technology is going to be utilized to enhance the capacity of agencies, whose true function is protecting & preserving said plutocratic power structure, to surveil and control the citizenry. Yes, ostensibly the national security state continues to exist and technologically beef up its capabilities in our post-Cold War world to safeguard us all from villains such as Al-Qaeda, ISIS, and other incarnations of the suspiciously convenient scourge of "terrorism", but anyone with the slightest capacity for critical thinking realizes that the NSA, CIA, Department of Homeland Security, et al., in fact function primarily to safeguard the American-dominated global politico-economic food chain and the elites sitting pretty at the top of it. Well, the upshot then is that it's not at all surprising that technological progress provides the powers that be with better tools of oppression and thereby makes ordinary people less free.

I actually had a conversation with a Pakistan Border Security Force. So there are four Talibans. Not one big monolith as Homeland security will tell you. One of the groups this Official was telling me was basically run by the CIA. Maybe it is for counterterrorism or espionage. I am not sure.
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 9:38:00 PM
"Though superlatives can mischaracterize any movie"s qualities, it is not an overstatement, I think, to call "Citizenfour," Laura Poitras" film about Edward Snowden, the movie of the century." - RogerEbert.com
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 9:52:27 PM
The film is unofficially banned, shown in a total of 3 theaters across the country but HBO has promised to pick it up.