Total Posts:113|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Islamic Censorship

innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 12:32:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
May 20 (Bloomberg) -- Pakistan, home to the world's second- largest Muslim population, blocked Google Inc.'s YouTube service and more than 450 Web links as the government widened a crackdown on Internet material.

I know this is not new, and i pretty much know the answer, but what fears would the government have to implement these restrictions?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 12:42:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was just thinking of creating a thread similar to this.

Many people use Facebook, and the government does not want them to get affected by these cartoons posted there, nor YouTube's videos about this "Draw Muhammad Day."

What has happened to the world since people became so disrespectful? An official day for drawing Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)? Do these people who support this nonsense have any respect towards their fellow human beings? I looked at some drawings, and I must say that these people will hurt many feelings. It saddens me that people make Muslims look like intolerant terrorists. They target one like me, who condemns harming those truly intolerant and disrespectful people, and then they expect everyone to love this "free speech" that its advocates boast about?

They should be ashamed of themselves. They should be ashamed and embarrassed. They are shamefaced.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 12:44:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Pakistan has done the right thing to ban these sites. Facebook is internationally popular and does not mind an intolerant group like this one being formed.

But do not worry, Muslims are not the only victims of free speech. Those who use it well are the real victims.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 12:46:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
They are all a disgrace to humanity. No wonder they lack manners when a great deal of them were raised by attention-seeking, drug-loving, adulterating, unloving people.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:03:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Can Muslims not just turn off their computer? So that those who may not want to participate in the restrictions that are good for the Muslims can take the risks? Or just leave it to the other people in the world who can handle the awesome power of Facebook?
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:03:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

At 5/20/2010 12:42:11 PM, Mirza wrote:

Many people use Facebook, and the government does not want them to get affected by these cartoons posted there, nor YouTube's videos about this "Draw Muhammad Day.

If they don't want to be affect, they don't click the link. Simple as.


What has happened to the world since people became so disrespectful? An official day for drawing Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)? Do these people who support this nonsense have any respect towards their fellow human beings? I looked at some drawings, and I must say that these people will hurt many feelings. It saddens me that people make Muslims look like intolerant terrorists. They target one like me, who condemns harming those truly intolerant and disrespectful people, and then they expect everyone to love this "free speech" that its advocates boast about?

The idea of draw Muhammed day was to stand up to the extremist organisations who kill when Muhammed is drawn. If you're offended, tough t*tties, don't look at it.


They should be ashamed of themselves. They should be ashamed and embarrassed. They are shamefaced.

No, you should be ashamed of yourself if you're so sensitive about something so simple.

Simply put, there's no reason for the government to shut down these websites, and you're being irrational\moany.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:08:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 12:42:11 PM, Mirza wrote:
I was just thinking of creating a thread similar to this.

Many people use Facebook, and the government does not want them to get affected by these cartoons posted there, nor YouTube's videos about this "Draw Muhammad Day."

What has happened to the world since people became so disrespectful? An official day for drawing Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)? Do these people who support this nonsense have any respect towards their fellow human beings? I looked at some drawings, and I must say that these people will hurt many feelings. It saddens me that people make Muslims look like intolerant terrorists. They target one like me, who condemns harming those truly intolerant and disrespectful people, and then they expect everyone to love this "free speech" that its advocates boast about?

They should be ashamed of themselves. They should be ashamed and embarrassed. They are shamefaced.

Mirza, the point of the Muhammed drawings is not to offend or demean you or your faith. It is simply a response to Muslims who use violence to censor people who offend them. They are saying that using violence to attack the right to free speech will only result in people rising up and defending that right. Moreover, 'disrespect' is a very tame response to murder and hatred - to complain that they are in the wrong is absurd.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:10:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have refused to associate myself with that Draw Muhammad Day event. It's wrong to attack an entire group simply based on the actions of a few extremists. I understand why this Draw Muhammad thing was created, but it has since then degraded into an Anti-Islamic hate fest.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:11:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:03:55 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
http://www.debate.org...
Is that you?

If they don't want to be affect, they don't click the link. Simple as.
Then do not turn on the news channel, do not turn on the radio, do not turn on random Internet websites. Is this what you think they should do in order to avoid being saddened?

The idea of draw Muhammed day was to stand up to the extremist organisations who kill when Muhammed is drawn. If you're offended, tough t*tties, don't look at it.
It is like throwing a bomb once, and when a group of people react, you throw it once more, and this time on everybody who technically belongs to that group, in this case a Muslim group. Is this good to you? If you want to stand up for free speech and stand up against those who threaten the advocates of it, then you should not do it by spilling fuel on the fire. You do it with words of peace, not words and drawings of hate.

No, you should be ashamed of yourself if you're so sensitive about something so simple.
Something this simple? Do you consider this to be simple? Maybe you do not consider it to create hatred between people? You do not expect it to bring us closer to a clash of civilizations?

It is not I who should be ashamed of being against this embarrassing disrespect, it is those who promote it.

Simply put, there's no reason for the government to shut down these websites, and you're being irrational\moany.
You are being disrespectful. Just look at your rubbish link. There are lots of reasons for an Islamic government to ban access to this absurdity, and there is nothing you can do. Tell your leader to prevent Islamic nations if they can.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:12:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:03:37 PM, innomen wrote:
Can Muslims not just turn off their computer? So that those who may not want to participate in the restrictions that are good for the Muslims can take the risks? Or just leave it to the other people in the world who can handle the awesome power of Facebook?
They show their "emotions" over death threats due to free speech, and dare to draw the beloved Prophet. Muslims show their emotions by banning these sites that promote them.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:15:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:11:07 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/20/2010 1:03:55 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
http://www.debate.org...
Is that you?

No. It's my rendition of Muhmmed. Where's my Fatwah?


If they don't want to be affect, they don't click the link. Simple as.
Then do not turn on the news channel, do not turn on the radio, do not turn on random Internet websites. Is this what you think they should do in order to avoid being saddened?

Of course not, but you're clearly advocating the government should shut down any radio stations, tv stations, etc. which could sadden people.

The idea of draw Muhammed day was to stand up to the extremist organisations who kill when Muhammed is drawn. If you're offended, tough t*tties, don't look at it.
It is like throwing a bomb once, and when a group of people react, you throw it once more, and this time on everybody who technically belongs to that group, in this case a Muslim group. Is this good to you? If you want to stand up for free speech and stand up against those who threaten the advocates of it, then you should not do it by spilling fuel on the fire. You do it with words of peace, not words and drawings of hate.

Free speech harms no one physically. I'm not going to stand idly by while extremists think they can suppress freedom of speech.


No, you should be ashamed of yourself if you're so sensitive about something so simple.
Something this simple? Do you consider this to be simple? Maybe you do not consider it to create hatred between people? You do not expect it to bring us closer to a clash of civilizations?

Lol, no. It's to show extremists that thcan't suppress freedom of speech.


Simply put, there's no reason for the government to shut down these websites, and you're being irrational\moany.
You are being disrespectful. Just look at your rubbish link. There are lots of reasons for an Islamic government to ban access to this absurdity, and there is nothing you can do. Tell your leader to prevent Islamic nations if they can.

No, there is not. If the government is allowed ban anything they want that's a little racy, then that government ought not to exist imo.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:15:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:08:38 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Mirza, the point of the Muhammed drawings is not to offend or demean you or your faith. It is simply a response to Muslims who use violence to censor people who offend them. They are saying that using violence to attack the right to free speech will only result in people rising up and defending that right. Moreover, 'disrespect' is a very tame response to murder and hatred - to complain that they are in the wrong is absurd.
They are creating more violence, more hatred, more disrespect, and promoting misunderstanding. How can any rational person say that drawing a person that Muslims love more than other human beings is any form of campaign against violent people? What has a person like me, who keeps promoting peace, done to feel saddened by these nonsensical cartoons?

And not only to they let the fire grow in size, but they also create much more misunderstanding. Look at the forums on this Facebook group. Look how much misinformation is spread to thousands, and millions of people, about my holy book! They should be ashamed. Promote peaceful campaigns. Show that you have the right to draw whatever you wish in a democratic society, but also show that you have the right not to draw anything at all!
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:16:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:12:43 PM, Mirza wrote:
They show their "emotions" over death threats due to free speech, and dare to draw the beloved Prophet. Muslims show their emotions by banning these sites that promote them.

No, Muslim governments are shutting these websites down. Big difference.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:17:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'd draw muhammed stoning a recently "mothered" adulteress.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:17:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:12:43 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/20/2010 1:03:37 PM, innomen wrote:
Can Muslims not just turn off their computer? So that those who may not want to participate in the restrictions that are good for the Muslims can take the risks? Or just leave it to the other people in the world who can handle the awesome power of Facebook?
They show their "emotions" over death threats due to free speech, and dare to draw the beloved Prophet. Muslims show their emotions by banning these sites that promote them.

Muslims clearly have a problem in controlling their emotions. I guess i can understand why they would be incapable of handling such things as facebook and the internet.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:19:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
it would differ from the hadith only in that Muhammed ORDERED people to stone her in front of him... I don't think he actually threw the rocks.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:21:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:15:31 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
No. It's my rendition of Muhmmed. Where's my Fatwah?
You have not seen him. You are drawing blindly. It looks more like a Sikh.

I do not have to write a fatwa against you. You have already written one for yourself. Just remember, not much lasts forever.

Of course not, but you're clearly advocating the government should shut down any radio stations, tv stations, etc. which could sadden people.
Did I say that? Did my statement imply that everything should be closed down? I meant that they hear about it on the radio, news channels, etc., so they will get affected by it even if the government does ban the links to these drawings, or websites promoting them.

Free speech harms no one physically. I'm not going to stand idly by while extremists think they can suppress freedom of speech.
Then do not fill them with outrageous fuel!

Lol, no. It's to show extremists that thcan't suppress freedom of speech.
It shows absolutely nothing about extremists! It creates a bad image of peaceful people and their Prophet! You do not solve any problem with extremists this way!

No, there is not. If the government is allowed ban anything they want that's a little racy, then that government ought not to exist imo.
They will ban whatever is one of the most shameful things. Such governments will not cease to exist, so accept them. I hope every single Islamic government shows their disappointment over this by banning these outrageous links.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:22:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:16:10 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
No, Muslim governments are shutting these websites down. Big difference.
And the Muslim people support it. I do. I hope every Muslim will.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:23:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
or maybe I'd draw muhammed decapitating Salman Rushdie
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:25:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Mizra, just out of curiosity, what happens to you when you see or hear of a cartoon about your prophet? You are saddened? Anything else? Should there be rights for you so you cannot be saddened or offended?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:25:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:17:43 PM, innomen wrote:
Muslims clearly have a problem in controlling their emotions. I guess i can understand why they would be incapable of handling such things as facebook and the internet.
They are being misinformed! I read some nonsense at that group's forums, and saw tough misinformation that unfortunately, thousands of people will read day by day! This is not acceptable for Muslims! Our religion is being hated! Some Islamic nations are already suffering quite hard from oppression and hatred, and of course they are more emotional when they are being stroked with hate, not only daily bombings.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:25:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:23:29 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
or maybe I'd draw muhammed decapitating Salman Rushdie

Somebody is keen on participating in this. As I said on the first page, I refuse to even associate myself with it. Attack the extremists, not every ordinary Muslim.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:26:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:25:25 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/20/2010 1:17:43 PM, innomen wrote:
Muslims clearly have a problem in controlling their emotions. I guess i can understand why they would be incapable of handling such things as facebook and the internet.
They are being misinformed! I read some nonsense at that group's forums, and saw tough misinformation that unfortunately, thousands of people will read day by day! This is not acceptable for Muslims! Our religion is being hated! Some Islamic nations are already suffering quite hard from oppression and hatred, and of course they are more emotional when they are being stroked with hate, not only daily bombings.

Why don't you go inform them?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:27:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:25:25 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/20/2010 1:17:43 PM, innomen wrote:
Muslims clearly have a problem in controlling their emotions. I guess i can understand why they would be incapable of handling such things as facebook and the internet.
They are being misinformed! I read some nonsense at that group's forums, and saw tough misinformation that unfortunately, thousands of people will read day by day! This is not acceptable for Muslims! Our religion is being hated! Some Islamic nations are already suffering quite hard from oppression and hatred, and of course they are more emotional when they are being stroked with hate, not only daily bombings.

Hey I'm gay, and i'm a Catholic, you get used to it. It's not the end of the world. Get over it.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:28:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:26:30 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 5/20/2010 1:25:25 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/20/2010 1:17:43 PM, innomen wrote:
Muslims clearly have a problem in controlling their emotions. I guess i can understand why they would be incapable of handling such things as facebook and the internet.
They are being misinformed! I read some nonsense at that group's forums, and saw tough misinformation that unfortunately, thousands of people will read day by day! This is not acceptable for Muslims! Our religion is being hated! Some Islamic nations are already suffering quite hard from oppression and hatred, and of course they are more emotional when they are being stroked with hate, not only daily bombings.

Why don't you go inform them?

There was actually another event set up in response solely for the purpose of educating non-muslims about Muhammad.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:29:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:25:17 PM, innomen wrote:
Mizra, just out of curiosity, what happens to you when you see or hear of a cartoon about your prophet? You are saddened? Anything else? Should there be rights for you so you cannot be saddened or offended?
I feel that people get a bad picture of Muslims. I feel that I would be considered dangerous while being around non-Muslims. Do you think it is a good thing? Have you not heard of stories of a so-called "Muslim terrorist" who did something in the West, but his Westerner "neighbors" said that he was a good man, they could never imagine him doing this, etc.? Do you not think that people would be kind of scared of Muslims, since even if they look like good people, they may be dangerous?

I have a good moral opinion. People should not insult each other this way. Blasphemy is dangerous. If they want to target extremists, why do they not call for Muslims to participate in campaigns, so that we can gather millions of voices to speak out against extremists? I would join this! But am I ever going to join such a ridiculous group, insulting a person that is extremely dear and important to me, and also insulting a part of my personality?
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:30:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:25:59 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/20/2010 1:23:29 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
or maybe I'd draw muhammed decapitating Salman Rushdie

Somebody is keen on participating in this. As I said on the first page, I refuse to even associate myself with it. Attack the extremists, not every ordinary Muslim.

I'm not attacking I'd be illustrating the works of muhammed.

sure with a bit of artistic license... but hey.. it's a drawing.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:30:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:28:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/20/2010 1:26:30 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 5/20/2010 1:25:25 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/20/2010 1:17:43 PM, innomen wrote:
Muslims clearly have a problem in controlling their emotions. I guess i can understand why they would be incapable of handling such things as facebook and the internet.
They are being misinformed! I read some nonsense at that group's forums, and saw tough misinformation that unfortunately, thousands of people will read day by day! This is not acceptable for Muslims! Our religion is being hated! Some Islamic nations are already suffering quite hard from oppression and hatred, and of course they are more emotional when they are being stroked with hate, not only daily bombings.

Why don't you go inform them?

There was actually another event set up in response solely for the purpose of educating non-muslims about Muhammad.

To be honest, i don't think we need to know more about Muhammad, but more about you guys and what you do and think. When i hear Mizra's perspective, and he's moderate, i see how incredibly incompatible it is with our culture in the US.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:30:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:26:30 PM, Korashk wrote:
Why don't you go inform them?
How can I do it, when they create tons of threads, keep copy-pasting misinformation, and continue all the time?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2010 1:31:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/20/2010 1:27:59 PM, innomen wrote:
Hey I'm gay, and i'm a Catholic, you get used to it. It's not the end of the world. Get over it.
The West now loves homosexuals, and keeps loving them more. They keep hating Muslims more and more.