Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

The Sony Hack

Subutai
Posts: 3,139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 5:23:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Song hacking has been a complicated issue for me. On the positive side, it exposes the underground world of movie producers in all of its hideous glory, showing what a backstabbing and unequal realm it is. However, releasing the information of employees (including their families), threatening employees and their families, and threatening to commit terrorist attacks on shows of the movie The Interview takes this way too far.

I don't understand why whoever is behind it is upset. There are movies about plots to assassinate Hitler, and they had no problems (that we know of) with those movies, so why are they so up in arms with a movie about Kim's assassination? They're both tyrannical dictators that should never be in power. And seriously comparing an assassination of Kim with 9-11 leaves out several fundamental differences.

On its face, the movie is a comedy. It's not real. It's not condoning an assassination of Kim. However, it does make us feel that assassinating "tyrannical" dictators is a normal thing (which it is for Americans), and this may not be a good thing.

Overall, I don't approve of the hack and I don't understand why the hackers are upset with Sony so much. Thoughts?
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 9:43:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 5:23:22 PM, Subutai wrote:
The Song hacking has been a complicated issue for me. On the positive side, it exposes the underground world of movie producers in all of its hideous glory, showing what a backstabbing and unequal realm it is. However, releasing the information of employees (including their families), threatening employees and their families, and threatening to commit terrorist attacks on shows of the movie The Interview takes this way too far.

I don't understand why whoever is behind it is upset. There are movies about plots to assassinate Hitler, and they had no problems (that we know of) with those movies, so why are they so up in arms with a movie about Kim's assassination? They're both tyrannical dictators that should never be in power. And seriously comparing an assassination of Kim with 9-11 leaves out several fundamental differences.

On its face, the movie is a comedy. It's not real. It's not condoning an assassination of Kim. However, it does make us feel that assassinating "tyrannical" dictators is a normal thing (which it is for Americans), and this may not be a good thing.

Overall, I don't approve of the hack and I don't understand why the hackers are upset with Sony so much. Thoughts?

I think it's just a childish prank. Mostly with bomb threats its just kids playing a prank.
Subutai
Posts: 3,139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 10:33:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
And now, Sony has halted its release of the movie. They just let the terrorists win. Nice job!
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 11:55:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I don't think they let them win. I just think SONY has bigger things to worry about. Like making fun of the US President because he is black.
slo1
Posts: 4,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 12:00:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 5:23:22 PM, Subutai wrote:
The Song hacking has been a complicated issue for me. On the positive side, it exposes the underground world of movie producers in all of its hideous glory, showing what a backstabbing and unequal realm it is. However, releasing the information of employees (including their families), threatening employees and their families, and threatening to commit terrorist attacks on shows of the movie The Interview takes this way too far.

I don't understand why whoever is behind it is upset. There are movies about plots to assassinate Hitler, and they had no problems (that we know of) with those movies, so why are they so up in arms with a movie about Kim's assassination? They're both tyrannical dictators that should never be in power. And seriously comparing an assassination of Kim with 9-11 leaves out several fundamental differences.

On its face, the movie is a comedy. It's not real. It's not condoning an assassination of Kim. However, it does make us feel that assassinating "tyrannical" dictators is a normal thing (which it is for Americans), and this may not be a good thing.

Overall, I don't approve of the hack and I don't understand why the hackers are upset with Sony so much. Thoughts?

You need to study up a bit on North Korea. You are talking about a regeme that kidnapped Japanese producer and his wife in 70's because Kim Jung Il loved movies and wanted to make a industry for it in North Korea.

It is clearly North Korea who hacked Sony.
Subutai
Posts: 3,139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 12:04:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/18/2014 12:00:04 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 12/17/2014 5:23:22 PM, Subutai wrote:
The Song hacking has been a complicated issue for me. On the positive side, it exposes the underground world of movie producers in all of its hideous glory, showing what a backstabbing and unequal realm it is. However, releasing the information of employees (including their families), threatening employees and their families, and threatening to commit terrorist attacks on shows of the movie The Interview takes this way too far.

I don't understand why whoever is behind it is upset. There are movies about plots to assassinate Hitler, and they had no problems (that we know of) with those movies, so why are they so up in arms with a movie about Kim's assassination? They're both tyrannical dictators that should never be in power. And seriously comparing an assassination of Kim with 9-11 leaves out several fundamental differences.

On its face, the movie is a comedy. It's not real. It's not condoning an assassination of Kim. However, it does make us feel that assassinating "tyrannical" dictators is a normal thing (which it is for Americans), and this may not be a good thing.

Overall, I don't approve of the hack and I don't understand why the hackers are upset with Sony so much. Thoughts?

You need to study up a bit on North Korea. You are talking about a regeme that kidnapped Japanese producer and his wife in 70's because Kim Jung Il loved movies and wanted to make a industry for it in North Korea.

It is clearly North Korea who hacked Sony.

I don't think it's North Korea. Why would they deny doing it?
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 1:25:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 5:23:22 PM, Subutai wrote:
I don't understand. Besides the North Koreans, who would even be offended by this?
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 1:29:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/18/2014 12:00:04 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 12/17/2014 5:23:22 PM, Subutai wrote:

It is clearly North Korea who hacked Sony.

No, it's not. If it were clearly North Korea, then nobody would care, considering that all of their past threats have been empty ones. Also, I doubt North Korea is even capable of such hacks.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 1:37:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Here's what I think:

Some group was already angry with Sony, and saw this movie as a chance to disrupt their business by using the movie's "controversial" plot to create a seemingly legitimate threat.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 1:56:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Actually, never mind: http://www.bbc.com...

North Korea"s Ministry of Foreign Affairs wrote a letter to the White House denouncing the film as terrorism and an "act of war", a charge which they escalated further as a complaint to the UN later that month. "If the US Government condones the screening of the film, they will have their consequences," the spokesman for the Democratic People"s Republic of Korea (DPRK) said. "Those criminals who mocked our leader and committed hostile crimes against our People"s Republic will be punished according to the law " wherever they hide on this globe."
khalid090
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 3:34:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/18/2014 10:33:07 AM, Subutai wrote:
And now, Sony has halted its release of the movie. They just let the terrorists win. Nice job!
they didn't let the hackers win. they made them feel ashamed that they are the reason why movies won't be realized on sony.
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2015 9:38:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 1/27/2015 3:34:05 AM, khalid090 wrote:
At 12/18/2014 10:33:07 AM, Subutai wrote:
And now, Sony has halted its release of the movie. They just let the terrorists win. Nice job!
they didn't let the hackers win. they made them feel ashamed that they are the reason why movies won't be realized on sony.

Actually they released it already, so your point is moot.
Erstad5
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:03:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
When I heard that Sony had been hacked by a foreign country I was astonished. But I agree with Subutai about how the release of the movie should not be taken as something that contributes as an "act of war". What the hackers threatened to do with the Sony information was just outright awful. Then the threats towards the theaters that were going to release the movie just put the emphasis on fear and therefore stripping the theater chains of their freedom. But what catches my attention is that many blame North Korea as a whole for this hack. Maybe it was just a couple of guys from that region that thought it would be a genius idea to pull this stunt. Yet again the threat came up empty as all the other threats that has come from North Korea. I understand that the film is basically making fun of the North Korean leader and his dictatorship and that point of the movie was to assassinate Kim. But it is not really worth the trouble to start a war over a film that is a comedy and should be taken in a more lightly mood. It might upset some people but that is part of this world not everyone will be happy with what you might be happy with. James DiEugenio says "The controversy actually began to take shape last June when the North Korean ambassador to the United Nations " without seeing the movie in all of its silliness " condemned the film and urged the United States to cancel its distribution." (https://consortiumnews.com...) With this being said clearly the ambassador wasn"t aware that the film was just a joke and maybe then the whole hacking deal could"ve been avoided. But I understand why one would get angry, if someone from a foreign country made fun of my precious country through a film I"d also be angry if I was someone of importance. In another reference I found was talking about a leaked FBI report that states that maybe the hack wasn"t made by North Korea but by someone internally that just hated Sony. "We normally see hacks that steal information, but this is a destruction"they actually destroy files"and that"s very rare," said Richard A. Clarke, former top cybersecurity adviser to Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. (http://www.bloomberg.com...) With this coming to light it makes us think if we were too quick to hold North Korea accountable for the hack instead of thinking it could"ve been something done internally.