Mosque near 9/11 memorial

Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 6:26:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://blog.newsweek.com...

Plans have been made to build a Mosque and Islamic cultural center very near ground zero in New York. I saw the story on the news this morning and thought I'd share with you all and see what you thought.
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 6:33:20 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about. Take that right-wing Conservatives!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 6:36:46 PM
Oddly enough I just read this somewhere. That's interestingly ironic, considering it was supposably muslim terrorists who carried out 9/11 although I don't really believe that story.
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 6:39:18 PM
At 5/26/2010 6:36:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Oddly enough I just read this somewhere. That's interestingly ironic, considering it was supposably muslim terrorists who carried out 9/11 although I don't really believe that story.

Yeah, one of the protesters was complaining that it's basically a smack in the face because it was the Muslim ideology that caused 9/11.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 6:43:08 PM
At 5/26/2010 6:39:18 PM, Osiris wrote:
At 5/26/2010 6:36:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Yeah, one of the protesters was complaining that it's basically a smack in the face because it was the Muslim ideology that caused 9/11.

Yea. It's still interesting regardless though if the mosque does end up being built there.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 6:45:03 PM
At 5/26/2010 6:26:38 PM, Osiris wrote:

Plans have been made to build a Mosque and Islamic cultural center very near ground zero in New York. I saw the story on the news this morning and thought I'd share with you all and see what you thought.

I don't care... being a witness of 9/11 (though i was young) i still remember the traumatic experiences, I know people who died there, But I don't care, I would only care if they were extrmemists
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 6:51:14 PM
At 5/26/2010 6:45:11 PM, Koopin wrote:
Great, now lets build a Christian Church on the grounds where the crusades were fought.

LMAO!
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 6:52:42 PM
At 5/26/2010 6:45:11 PM, Koopin wrote:
Great, now lets build a Christian Church on the grounds where the crusades were fought.

Great, now lets build a Jewish temple on Mount Sinai!
MsScribbles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 6:54:59 PM

that is pretty weird......but then again the muslims involved in 9/11 were extremists of Islam(shia)... i guess as long as its not a Mosque for extremists its fine because non extremists (sunni) weren't the ones to blame for it
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 6:56:03 PM
At 5/26/2010 6:54:59 PM, MsScribbles wrote:

that is pretty weird......but then again the muslims involved in 9/11 were extremists of Islam(shia)... i guess as long as its not a Mosque for extremists its fine because non extremists (sunni) weren't the ones to blame for it

Umm...I'm pretty sure it was Sunni Muslim extremists who did the bombing...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 6:57:43 PM

It doesn't matter if it's a mosque specifically built for the use of extremists. People in America are granted the right to religious freedom; consequently, extremists are allowed to gather at a place and talk freely about their religion. Now, if they were making plans to bomb D.C. or something, that would be a different story. Don't discriminate simply because you are brainwashed into thinking that all extremists have bad intentions ;) (Signals a joke)
MsScribbles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:00:27 PM
At 5/26/2010 6:56:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Umm...I'm pretty sure it was Sunni Muslim extremists who did the bombing...

sunni are non extremists though....right?
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:02:43 PM
At 5/26/2010 6:57:43 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's a mosque specifically built for the use of extremists. People in America are granted the right to religious freedom; consequently, extremists are allowed to gather at a place and talk freely about their religion. Now, if they were making plans to bomb D.C. or something, that would be a different story. Don't discriminate simply because you are brainwashed into thinking that all extremists have bad intentions ;) (Signals a joke)

I don't disagree with their right to building it because yeah, like you said we have the right to religious freedom. I just think the location (even tough it's down the street) is upsetting everyone because people don't really understand Muslims and that they're all not extremists.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:03:21 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:00:27 PM, MsScribbles wrote:

There's extremists in all sects. The Sunnis have The Taliban and Hamas. And the Shi'as have Hezbollah. As a short time I identified as a Shi'a muslim so it's all a matter of perspective I think.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:09:02 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:02:43 PM, Osiris wrote:

I don't disagree with their right to building it because yeah, like you said we have the right to religious freedom. I just think the location (even tough it's down the street) is upsetting everyone because people don't really understand Muslims and that they're all not extremists.

The location is upsetting people? That is their ignorance for misunderstanding the Muslim religion. Ignorance should never be accepted or appreciated.
MsScribbles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:09:49 PM

that is pretty weird......but then again the Muslims involved in 9/11 were extremists of Islam(shia)... I guess as long as its not a Mosque for extremists its fine because non extremists (sunni) weren't the ones to blame for it

yeah yeah i no i actually have a few friends that are like that
an im not sayn that they cant make there own mosques an stuff but if its a extremists Mosque thats going to be right next to 9/11 thats a slap in the face
MsScribbles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:11:20 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:03:21 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

There's extremists in all sects. The Sunnis have The Taliban and Hamas. And the Shi'as have Hezbollah. As a short time I identified as a Shi'a muslim so it's all a matter of perspective I think.

well as long as its not the group that caused 9/11 i think its ok
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:12:31 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:09:02 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
The location is upsetting people? That is their ignorance for misunderstanding the Muslim religion. Ignorance should never be accepted or appreciated.

Whether or not it shouldn't be accepted or appreciated doesn't take away from the fact that it will drive people to do some very crazy things.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:13:00 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:11:20 PM, MsScribbles wrote:

It was supposably Al-Qaeda that caused 9/11, but I have speculations suggesting otherwise. We'll never know for sure though.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:13:14 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:09:49 PM, MsScribbles wrote:

that is pretty weird......but then again the Muslims involved in 9/11 were extremists of Islam(shia)... I guess as long as its not a Mosque for extremists its fine because non extremists (sunni) weren't the ones to blame for it

an im not sayn that they cant make there own mosques an stuff but if its a extremists Mosque thats going to be right next to 9/11 thats a slap in the face

Who cares? Not all extremists plan on attacking the United States. You're bandwagoning. We need to stop this kind of ignorance if we want to actually change the crappy shape of the US and the rest of the world right now.
MsScribbles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:19:36 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:13:00 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

It was supposably Al-Qaeda that caused 9/11, but I have speculations suggesting otherwise. We'll never know for sure though.

what speculations??
MsScribbles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:21:22 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:13:14 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 7:09:49 PM, MsScribbles wrote:

Who cares? Not all extremists plan on attacking the United States. You're bandwagoning. We need to stop this kind of ignorance if we want to actually change the crappy shape of the US and the rest of the world right now.

Oh jeez i know -___- i'm not sayn all extremists are going to attack the US im just sayn that it would be wrong to build a extremist Mosque right next to the 9/11 memorial
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:24:31 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:19:36 PM, MsScribbles wrote:

what speculations??

That the American government could have possibly been involved, but once again these kinds of things are difficult to prove or disprove.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:27:30 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:24:31 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

what speculations??

That the American government could have possibly been involved, but once again these kinds of things are difficult to prove or disprove.

Because they're conspiracy theories. Regardless of who was involved, there should be no interference with the building of that mosque.

I'd prefer it not be extremists, because I dislike fundamentalists of many religions.
MsScribbles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:27:37 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:24:13 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 7:21:22 PM, MsScribbles wrote:
it would be wrong to build a extremist Mosque right next to the 9/11 memorial

No, it wouldn't be.

yes it would..... there are plenty of other places in Amercia they could build extremists Mosques
thats pretty rude to build one right next to 9/11
MsScribbles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:29:00 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:27:30 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 5/26/2010 7:24:31 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

what speculations??

Because they're conspiracy theories. Regardless of who was involved, there should be no interference with the building of that mosque.

I'd prefer it not be extremists, because I dislike fundamentalists of many religions.

oh yeah i heard that they were warned about the attack but never took it seriously or somthing... i dont really remembe
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 7:29:01 PM
At 5/26/2010 7:24:13 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
No, it wouldn't be.

It might not be wrong legally or on principled grounds, but no one with an intact moral centre thinks it's morally A-OK to put next to the site of the WTC a mosque dedicated to the very same ideology which brought those towers down in the first place.

It's like setting up a neo-Nazi bar next to a synagogue. It might not be wrong per se, but it doesn't mean anyone has to actually like it.