Jump to topic:

Honeybees and cell phones

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 2:29:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I just thought this was interesting that the use of cell phones is now connected to the disappearance of honeybees. I know many people who claim they can't live without their cell phones and are constantly texting back and forth, but now I have a reason to tell them to stop. :P

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 2:38:46 PM
At 5/30/2010 2:32:39 PM, feverish wrote:
Hopefully they can just make a few adjustments and wipe out all the wasps instead.

Yea that'd be better. Seriously though, I remember when I was younger there were so many more honeybees. I used to see them all the time.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 2:42:28 PM
This is the real reason bees are dying out: homicidal hornets. Don't watch if you're scared of stingy bugs (looking at you Rags he he).

Seriously though I've seen a wasp kill a bee and fly off with its head. Wasps are bastards.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 5:49:39 PM
Wasps are evil. There's one species that will land on cockroaches, insert a stinger into its nerve centres at a specific area then control the cockroach back to its nest for the teeny evil wasps to grow in and feed on.

http://bjoern.brembs.net...
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 6:32:37 PM
There have been these giant bees around my town for the past two years. Their thoraxes are the size of my pinky finger. Friggin scary. Also, when we moved into our current apartment, we found a wasp nest in the air conditioning unit to our bedroom. Safe to say we didn't turn that sucker on before my landlord was called over here to deal with it. Screw wasps and bees.

I see wasps and bees all the damn time.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 6:45:50 PM
At 5/30/2010 6:32:37 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
There have been these giant bees around my town for the past two years. Their thoraxes are the size of my pinky finger. Friggin scary. Also, when we moved into our current apartment, we found a wasp nest in the air conditioning unit to our bedroom. Safe to say we didn't turn that sucker on before my landlord was called over here to deal with it. Screw wasps and bees.

I see wasps and bees all the damn time.

Hm, really? I've had the exact opposite experience; there are barely any bees or wasps around. I mean, I had a big bumblebee sneak into my room somehow a couple weeks ago, and one was bugging one of the Mormon missionaries, but that's it.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 6:54:16 PM
At 5/30/2010 6:45:50 PM, Volkov wrote:
Hm, really? I've had the exact opposite experience; there are barely any bees or wasps around. I mean, I had a big bumblebee sneak into my room somehow a couple weeks ago, and one was bugging one of the Mormon missionaries, but that's it.

Beelzebub? :D
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 7:12:45 PM
At 5/30/2010 2:29:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
the disappearance of honeybees.

there are barely any bees or wasps around.

Maybe a Canadian thing?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 7:18:22 PM
At 5/30/2010 7:12:45 PM, feverish wrote:
At 5/30/2010 2:29:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
the disappearance of honeybees.

there are barely any bees or wasps around.

Maybe a Canadian thing?

I don't think so. Bees are disappearing across North America last time I heard, but I thought it was due to hive diseases, not cellphones and homicidal hornets, lol.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 9:18:43 PM
At 5/30/2010 2:42:28 PM, feverish wrote:

This is the real reason bees are dying out: homicidal hornets. Don't watch if you're scared of stingy bugs (looking at you Rags he he).

I'm not afraid of videos. It's a RATIONAL fear. Hell, I love the taste of honey, its source not bothering me. I just don't want personal dealings with those bug buggers.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 9:23:44 PM
hey... if i am lucky i will live my whole life without ever being stung by a bee and/or wasp. if they die out, that will be a lot more likely...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 9:50:28 PM
At 5/30/2010 9:23:44 PM, belle wrote:
hey... if i am lucky i will live my whole life without ever being stung by a bee and/or wasp. if they die out, that will be a lot more likely...

I have been stung once and that's because a wasp got stuck in my shirt. haha.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 10:14:03 PM

They're rather important for agriculture.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 10:21:29 PM
At 5/30/2010 10:14:03 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

hush i am trying to be obnoxiously narrowminded.

what kind of agriculture requires honeybees anyways? i thought they only fertilized flowers...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 10:24:52 PM
At 5/30/2010 10:21:29 PM, belle wrote:

what kind of agriculture requires honeybees anyways? i thought they only fertilized flowers...

I know it's just a Disney cartoon, but I remember on Bee Movie when all the bees stopped poullonating(apparently I can't spell tonight...) all the plant life started to die.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2010 10:45:21 PM
At 5/30/2010 10:21:29 PM, belle wrote:

Lots and lots of food plants flower, especially fruits and nuts (note that fruits have a biological definition that is broader than the culinary definitions.) Proteins, vitamins, and deliciousness. We won't starve even if bees go extinct, but our diets will be significantly less healthy and less deliciously variegated (especially for the type of vegetarian that uses nuts as a significant source of protein), they'll have to switch to beans (and peanuts, which are essentially beans in all but name). Not soybeans, those are pollinated by bees, although only with a "modest" impact.

Of course, this could be somewhat mitigated by the development of artificial alternatives, but it would be expensive or it would have been done already, by the same reasoning I tell people who advocate getting off oil to STFU.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 10:36:43 AM
"Almost every pest insect species has at least one wasp species that preys upon it or parasitizes it, making wasps critically important in natural control of their numbers, or natural biocontrol. Parasitic wasps are increasingly used in agricultural pest control as they prey mostly on pest insects and have little impact on crops." - http://en.wikipedia.org...

Apparently wasps are necessary -_-.

What we need to do is douse the entire world with wasp killing pesticide. The ozone layer can f* itself, this is necessary.

Or we can get the CIA to arm the sh*t out of the bees. like in Afghanistan '88.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.