Jump to topic:

Did the Fox deserve to die...?

lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 5:30:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The Fox is killed for eating a 9 month old baby.

The Fox has every right to eat anything in it's territory. Why is the Fox killed ?
It doesn't make sense.

The Fox has as much right to live as the Human Being.

If I was the Prime Minister of Britain then I would punish the family and the Police.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com...
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 6:36:41 AM
At 6/7/2010 5:30:50 AM, lastrequest691 wrote:
If I was the Prime Minister of Britain then I would punish the family and the Police.

I would kill the fox.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 7:05:04 AM

It mauled twin babies. Read your own damned link.

The Fox has every right to eat anything in it's territory. Why is the Fox killed ?
It doesn't make sense.

"while sleeping in their cots. " - Yeah, because the cots were in the fox's territory? The source says the Fox creeped into their house and attacked the twin babies.

Lol, no it doesn't.

If I was Prime minister I would ban you, troll.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 7:22:43 AM
1: It is only a fox.
2: Certain predators have a natural fear of humans, if they overcome this they may have an actual 'taste' for humans.
3: It's only a fox, I know I already said that... but well.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 7:52:54 AM

It doesn't make sense.

I agree. The fox was just doing what foxes do naturally.

Instead of killing the fox maybe they should just make sure they close the door when the babies are left alone?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 8:22:04 AM
If foxes had the same rights as humans, farmers would not have guns.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 8:32:17 AM
I'm very much against hunting foxes for sport but if someone kills a fox who actually attacked their babbies then I can't blame them for that.

Even if you say foxes have the same rights as people, you would want to punish a human who harmed your kids too.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 8:44:26 AM
At 6/7/2010 8:32:17 AM, feverish wrote:
I'm very much against hunting foxes for sport but if someone kills a fox who actually attacked their babbies then I can't blame them for that.

Even if you say foxes have the same rights as people, you would want to punish a human who harmed your kids too.

I don't say foxes have the same rights as humans but it just seems churlish and vindictive to kill it.

It's not as though not abandoning your kids and leaving the front door wide open wouldn't be a better solution.

The next time it might not be a fox that sneaks into the kids' room, it might be Gary Glitter!

And, by the way, the fox might have been a vixen with young cubs in a den somewhere who are now starving to death as I write.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 8:48:20 AM
At 6/7/2010 7:22:43 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
1: It is only a fox.
2: Certain predators have a natural fear of humans, if they overcome this they may have an actual 'taste' for humans.
3: It's only a fox, I know I already said that... but well.

Typical Speciesism. :P
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 8:49:58 AM
At 6/7/2010 8:44:26 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

I don't say foxes have the same rights as humans but it just seems churlish and vindictive to kill it.

It's not as though not abandoning your kids and leaving the front door wide open wouldn't be a better solution.

The next time it might not be a fox that sneaks into the kids' room, it might be Gary Glitter!

And, by the way, the fox might have been a vixen with young cubs in a den somewhere who are now starving to death as I write.

If someone broke into my house and killed my kids i would want them to die and they should die.
If the fox broke into any house and killed anybody than the fox needs to die.

Seems fair to me.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 8:51:51 AM
At 6/7/2010 8:49:58 AM, comoncents wrote:

If someone broke into my house and killed my kids i would want them to die and they should die.

Seems fair to me.

The fox didn't kill them, it just chewed them a bit. They'll be okay.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 8:56:15 AM
At 6/7/2010 8:51:51 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Seems fair to me.

The fox didn't kill them, it just chewed them a bit. They'll be okay.

Ok. If a man came i and nibbled a little on my little girl i deserve to shoot him in the face.
(and the word, mauled was used to describe what happened)
Still seems fair.

Man or animal, it does not matter.
I protect my family no matter what.

It is just a damn fox anyway.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 9:06:05 AM

Seems fair to me.

It's absurd to hold animals to the same accountability as humans. What's the point of executing a fox?

Other foxes aren't deterred from crimes by it. It wasn't acting out of the ordinary for a fox, it isn't any less or more dangerous than any other fox. Foxes aren't aware that they're doing anything wrong, and they don't even have the mental capacity to think in terms of right and wrong. It was doing nothing more than following its instincts.

It isn't justice. It isn't useful. It doesn't help anyone. What's the point of killing it?
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 9:09:50 AM
At 6/7/2010 8:56:15 AM, comoncents wrote:

Man or animal, it does not matter.
I protect my family no matter what.

It is just a damn fox anyway.

You aren't talking about fairness, but revenge. I agree that killing a fox isn't particularly objectionable. It just seems pointless to hold a grudge against it.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:13:37 AM
At 6/7/2010 7:05:04 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

If I was Prime minister I would ban you, troll.

Hahaha. Lastrequest just got pwned! xD
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:15:53 AM
I liked the part where it said "was humanely destroyed by a vet later."
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:25:16 AM
At 6/7/2010 9:06:05 AM, Kinesis wrote:

It isn't justice. It isn't useful. It doesn't help anyone. What's the point of killing it?

So that it doesn't kill anybody anymore.

If you claim that it's only natural that the fox eat the baby, it's natural self-defense for the family to kill the fox.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:49:21 AM
The fox ate a freakin' baby - of course it deserves to die. It killed a child. The family took revenge on it for doing as such. Tit for tat. It deserved to die.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:54:48 AM
At 6/7/2010 11:49:21 AM, Volkov wrote:
The fox ate a freakin' baby - of course it deserves to die. It killed a child. The family took revenge on it for doing as such. Tit for tat. It deserved to die.

LOL Aren't you against the death penalty? Oops.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 11:57:04 AM
At 6/7/2010 11:54:48 AM, JBlake wrote:
LOL Aren't you against the death penalty? Oops.

For humans, not for fuzzy, irrational foxes.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 12:05:59 PM
At 6/7/2010 12:01:55 PM, JBlake wrote:
But the argument you advanced for why it deserved to die is precisely the argument in favor of the death penalty.

Except I don't much care for foxes as I do for humans. Call me a speciest, if you must.

Besides, its pretty easy to make a case for self-defense on the part of the family. The death penalty isn't self-defense, since for it to be administered, authorities must already have custody, and there must be legal proceedings, etc.

Had someone killed someone in self-defense, that's entirely excusable.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 12:08:47 PM
At 6/7/2010 12:05:59 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/7/2010 12:01:55 PM, JBlake wrote:
But the argument you advanced for why it deserved to die is precisely the argument in favor of the death penalty.

Except I don't much care for foxes as I do for humans. Call me a speciest, if you must.

Besides, its pretty easy to make a case for self-defense on the part of the family. The death penalty isn't self-defense, since for it to be administered, authorities must already have custody, and there must be legal proceedings, etc.

Had someone killed someone in self-defense, that's entirely excusable.

One argument for the death penalty is that they must be killed to protect the community.

You might counter that we can protect the community by locking said killer up for the rest of his life. But why could they not do this to the fox (i.e. a zoo, &ct.)?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 12:15:53 PM
At 6/7/2010 12:08:47 PM, JBlake wrote:
One argument for the death penalty is that they must be killed to protect the community.

You might counter that we can protect the community by locking said killer up for the rest of his life. But why could they not do this to the fox (i.e. a zoo, &ct.)?

One reason I think is that a wild fox that attacked humans already is probably bound to do it again, while for most human killers, the repeat rate is generally low, not to mention that they can still be productive, can reform and can reason.

Plus, there is also the fact that its a wild fox. Even zoo animals are mostly domesticated. Why would a zoo, or a shelter or whatever, try and domesticate a fox that will probably do the same thing again?

That's the very same argument that can apply to the death penalty, and its always one I struggle with. And don't get me wrong, I love animals, but I don't find the same moral worth attached to a fox than a human.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 12:19:11 PM
The fox was not just attacking a human for no reason. There is no reason to believe that it will attack a fully grown human. Rather, it was hunting.

Foxes hunt and kill other animals, and the babies of other larger animals. Do foxes deserve to be executed for that reason?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 12:19:39 PM
At 6/7/2010 12:15:53 PM, Volkov wrote:

One reason I think is that a wild fox that attacked humans already is probably bound to do it again, while for most human killers, the repeat rate is generally low...
Are you sure about that?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 12:21:41 PM
At 6/7/2010 12:19:11 PM, JBlake wrote:
The fox was not just attacking a human for no reason. There is no reason to believe that it will attack a fully grown human. Rather, it was hunting.

Foxes hunt and kill other animals, and the babies of other larger animals. Do foxes deserve to be executed for that reason?

As I said, it just comes down to species. It killed a human child, does anyone really want to say that's OK? Sure, it was hunting, but it killed a small child. Not something people want to see.

Besides, the same argument can be made in reverse; humans kill animals all the time. What makes this one any different, especially given that it was pretty much in self-defense?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 12:23:14 PM

Did you know that animals hunting prey are often themselves killed?

It's not that the fox "deserved" to die. It's that the family had the right to kill it.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 12:28:22 PM
At 6/7/2010 12:23:14 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Did you know that animals hunting prey are often themselves killed?

It's not that the fox "deserved" to die. It's that the family had the right to kill it.

Yes, agreed. From a natural perspective, the family would want to defend itself and kill the threat. But the animal was not killed hunting. It was trapped, so it was no longer a threat. It was killed, as Kinesis pointed out, for retribution rather than protection.