Mineral Deposits discovered

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2010 11:49:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/13/2010 9:06:02 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
So it seems Afghanistan's economic situation could improve in the future. Mineral deposits were recently found by Americans. http://www.nytimes.com...

That is only going to encourage the occupiers to stay, contracts for the exploitation of these resources will be given to western companies. Who is going to complain, not the quisling fake regime, but the taliban. This is bad news.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2010 11:51:29 PM
At 6/13/2010 11:49:03 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
So it seems Afghanistan's economic situation could improve in the future. Mineral deposits were recently found by Americans. http://www.nytimes.com...

That is only going to encourage the occupiers to stay, contracts for the exploitation of these resources will be given to western companies. Who is going to complain, not the quisling fake regime, but the taliban. This is bad news.

Oh, I didn't think of that. It makes sense though, this will likely encourage the occupying forces, particularly the Americans, to stay.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2010 11:52:57 PM
At 6/13/2010 11:51:29 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Oh, I didn't think of that. It makes sense though, this will likely encourage the occupying forces, particularly the Americans, to stay.

Just look at Iraqi oil, previously used for the benefit of the country (first rate education system) now privatised at gun point.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2010 11:56:29 PM
At 6/13/2010 11:52:57 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 6/13/2010 11:51:29 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Just look at Iraqi oil, previously used for the benefit of the country (first rate education system) now privatised at gun point.

Yea, that's sad. The US isn't in Iraq to "free" its citizens. It's there for resources.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 8:21:41 AM
At 6/13/2010 11:56:29 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yea, that's sad. The US isn't in Iraq to "free" its citizens. It's there for resources.

hubuhddubuudhubub....
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 9:10:10 AM

"Privatized at gun point," ha! The Kurds are quite in control of their own oilfields, and the entire country runs surpluses off of the revenues they get from their supplies. Those Iraqis sure are suffering from the loss of oil revenue, what with their billions of dollars in surpluses and all. Yep. I can truly see the pain.
Andrew27
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 9:30:45 AM
UK and US oil firms were excluded from Iraq when the oil fields were nationalised in 1972 by Saddam Hussein. However towards end of this regime some outside companies (excluding UK and US) won contracts such as Russia, France China. However UN sanctions enforced by US and UK kept these inoperable. Of course with the invasion and occupation in 2003 much as changed with American and British oil companies being given oil contracts by the much weaken pro Washington government that was left in place.

The weapons of mass destruction/freeing the people from tyranny arguments were smoke screen the really reason for invasion was securing dwindling oil supplies. Now we see the reason for the Afghan invasion, it's the same with why UK still has control of Falklands, as oil fields have been discovered there very recently. As usual US and UK foreign policy is for there own self interest, but masqueraded as 'policing' world. it's laughable
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 9:40:48 AM
Two things, Andrew....

At 6/14/2010 9:30:45 AM, Andrew27 wrote:
Of course with the invasion and occupation in 2003 much as changed with American and British oil companies being given oil contracts by the much weaken pro Washington government that was left in place.

That's funny, 'cause I swear I heard reports about American firms losing out on oil tapping opportunities. Oh, I did too: http://www.wsws.org...

It's the same with why UK still has control of Falklands, as oil fields have been discovered there very recently

That's a reason, yes, though in all honesty, it wouldn't make much of a difference, since Argentina would open it up to the very same companies.

But, its hardly the entire reason. The Falklands are an important strategic base, as well as the fact that about 90% of the Island inhabitants do not want to be taken over by Argentina. They have no connection with them. They're English-speaking, Protestant Anglo-Saxons. You think the UK should just say, well, to hell with you! How very rude.
Andrew27
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 9:42:49 AM
meant to add on previous, the oil contracts awarded to US and UK companies are set to bring in 100's of billions of dollars in coming years, how will pay dividends to share holders in US and UK, benefiting the economies, not to mention all the private security firms that benefited from the war, the armament and military contracts that benefited US and UK companies, seem it was a war of business
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 11:09:39 AM
So it seems Afghanistan's economic situation could improve in the future. Mineral deposits were recently found by Americans.

......And the Afghani economic situation has not improved.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:11:23 PM
At 6/14/2010 11:09:39 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
So it seems Afghanistan's economic situation could improve in the future. Mineral deposits were recently found by Americans.

That's because they haven't done anything with it yet. Read the article, gosh.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:21:22 PM
I hope these resources end in the grip of those who will use it well. The United States should help in using them properly, but should not take it for themselves in any way. This can cause problems.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:22:33 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:21:22 PM, Mirza wrote:
I hope these resources end in the grip of those who will use it well. The United States should help in using them properly, but should not take it for themselves in any way. This can cause problems.

Oh, the US will likely try to take them or at least control the Afghan use of the resources in order to benefit them. Hands off, America!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:23:13 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:11:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I was implying that the U.S. will use the resources for their gain rather than the Afghanis.

Also, Mirza, although the Afghans shoudl use these resources, the truth is he Americans will get the lions share of the profits.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:23:41 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:21:22 PM, Mirza wrote:

You want the US to help b/c you know if they don't it's gonna end up crooked.

BUT you know if the US helps we're just gonna get bashed for interfering in MEast (as even you yourself find our prescence there unpalatable)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:24:57 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:23:13 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

I was implying that the U.S. will use the resources for their gain rather than the Afghanis.

Oh ok. I misunderstood. Yea, the Americans will try to use the minerals for their own gain, giving the Afghans little benefit. It's their resources so like I said in my last post, America should just keep their hands off completely.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:27:05 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:22:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Oh, the US will likely try to take them or at least control the Afghan use of the resources in order to benefit them. Hands off, America!
I hope Barack Obama knows better. I think the forces should be withdrawn, or at least reduced in numbers, and Afghanistan should be helped economically, education should be improved, more focus on industry, and then Afghanistan should deal with its internal problems without much of foreign intervention.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:29:43 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:27:05 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/14/2010 12:22:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I hope Barack Obama knows better. I think the forces should be withdrawn, or at least reduced in numbers, and Afghanistan should be helped economically, education should be improved, more focus on industry, and then Afghanistan should deal with its internal problems without much of foreign intervention.

Most of the troops in the middle east should be withdrawn. As for Afghanistan, it has improved alot, but of course still has a long way to go. If the Americans do stay away from these mineral deposits it could potentially help Afghanistan develop.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:31:10 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:23:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

BUT you know if the US helps we're just gonna get bashed for interfering in MEast (as even you yourself find our prescence there unpalatable)
Developed nations should help the less fortunate in advancement, but should not make it worse for them. The U.S. presence in Afghanistan seems to be bad for both USA and Afghanistan. I see little development. Instead of letting U.S. forces do all the job there, it is better to help Afghanistan in building its own moderately strong army, police, etc.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:32:29 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:29:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Most of the troops in the middle east should be withdrawn. As for Afghanistan, it has improved alot, but of course still has a long way to go. If the Americans do stay away from these mineral deposits it could potentially help Afghanistan develop.
In which area has it improved significantly? It has in some, but it is poor. Things could have been better.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:35:25 PM
I meant that it has improved in some, but 'significantly' in few. I would like to see some named. And what has been done about the economy of Afghanistan? The people are still among some of the bottom of lists in GDP per capita. That is unfortunate.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:38:27 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:32:29 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/14/2010 12:29:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
In which area has it improved significantly? It has in some, but it is poor. Things could have been better.

Are you kidding me? It has improved quite a bit in some areas. Like women are actually getting educated now. Obviously they couldn't under Taliban control because they were sexist fundamentalist a$sholes.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:45:10 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:38:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Are you kidding me? It has improved quite a bit in some areas. Like women are actually getting educated now. Obviously they couldn't under Taliban control because they were sexist fundamentalist a$sholes.
It is a start, but nothing 'significant'.

Of course a start is better than nothing, but the point is that the entire process of improving the conditions in Afghanistan was slow. The methods used are weak.

Also, how big is the difference between Taliban and the current regime? They seem to be two halves of the same evil.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:51:21 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:31:10 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/14/2010 12:23:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Developed nations should help the less fortunate in advancement, but should not make it worse for them. The U.S. presence in Afghanistan seems to be bad for both USA and Afghanistan. I see little development. Instead of letting U.S. forces do all the job there, it is better to help Afghanistan in building its own moderately strong army, police, etc.

and if the US simply picks up leaves Afghanistan...

then we both know the minerals will be mis-managed by stupid/greedy politicians like Karzai and his ilk.. AND THEIR ENTIRE STATE will prolly go to shambles.

Metaphysics:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:54:35 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:51:21 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
and if the US simply picks up leaves Afghanistan...

then we both know the minerals will be mis-managed by stupid/greedy politicians like Karzai and his ilk.. AND THEIR ENTIRE STATE will prolly go to shambles.
They can leave slowly, but simultaneously help Afghanistan in proving its conditions by its own, instead of being fully dependent on foreign intervention.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2010 12:58:20 PM
At 6/14/2010 12:24:57 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/14/2010 12:23:13 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Oh ok. I misunderstood. Yea, the Americans will try to use the minerals for their own gain, giving the Afghans little benefit. It's their resources so like I said in my last post, America should just keep their hands off completely.

Should. But they won't.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 6:30:48 AM
At 6/14/2010 9:10:10 AM, Volkov wrote:

"Privatized at gun point," ha! The Kurds are quite in control of their own oilfields, and the entire country runs surpluses off of the revenues they get from their supplies. Those Iraqis sure are suffering from the loss of oil revenue, what with their billions of dollars in surpluses and all. Yep. I can truly see the pain.

Yes and I am sure that the same public services are still being supplied by foreign terrorists.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 6:34:43 AM
At 6/14/2010 9:30:45 AM, Andrew27 wrote:
it's the same with why UK still has control of Falklands, as oil fields have been discovered there very recently.

Why do Americans not understand this, the population of the Falklands are British. They are British ethnicly, and they are British in identity and they have been for a lot longer than any living Brit, or Argentinean. The falklands are not an example of Imperialism, the Argentinean 'claim' on it is. Oil just might mean America will pretend to care about the concerns of a client state.