Solar Storm in 2013

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 1:07:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://translate.google.dk...

I read an article on a Bosnian news site about a solar storm predicted occuring in the year 2013. Some people from NASA said that communication, internet, etc. will go down, and there will be chaos on Earth. They also say that we have enough time to back-up all that is necessary so that everything can run after some time again, perhaps. If not, it will take quite a while to recover. Ask if you need translation for something.

Does this worry any of you?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 1:11:05 PM
At 6/15/2010 1:10:52 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I guess they weren't too far off when it was predicted the word would end in 2012, lol.

*world
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 1:15:11 PM
We have advanced technology, and will probably be able to prevent 'chaos' from occuring. We should nevertheless take this seriously, and work on it. We should start doing something already.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 1:16:35 PM
Does it worry me? Of course its worrying - but only if its true.

It's pretty hard to predict whether a "solar storm" will come about or not. From what I know of the science, this stuff rarely has any telltale signs and could happen in the blink of an eye. Being able to predict it is quite a feat.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 1:16:57 PM
This seems rather scary, given just how much we rely on electronics. Perhaps we should work on mass-producing shields capable of protecting our electronics, if such a thing is possible.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 1:23:23 PM
At 6/15/2010 1:18:58 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Just don't be in a plane when it happens. Haha.

It probably wouldn't hit planes or things on the ground, not in that way. Our atmosphere protects us. What is going to be affected the most in this sort of situation would be our satellites, most of which do not have the kind of shielding required, especially the older ones. Phone lines, TV, GPS, radios - they could all shut down. Not a species-killing situation, but certainly harrowing.

Most airplanes are already electronically shielded anyways.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 1:24:52 PM
At 6/15/2010 1:23:23 PM, Volkov wrote:
It probably wouldn't hit planes or things on the ground, not in that way. Our atmosphere protects us. What is going to be affected the most in this sort of situation would be our satellites, most of which do not have the kind of shielding required, especially the older ones. Phone lines, TV, GPS, radios - they could all shut down. Not a species-killing situation, but certainly harrowing.

Most airplanes are already electronically shielded anyways.
"Weak" devices are quite vulnerable, too.
Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 1:43:50 PM
Does this remind anybody of Y2K...

But seriously, if it happens it can't be that bad...right? I mean we'll have to live a day like it's 1990 for a day, how hard can that be? Maybe all of the people without lives who just sit on the computer all day will finally go outside...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 1:46:44 PM
At 6/15/2010 1:43:50 PM, Republican95 wrote:

But seriously, if it happens it can't be that bad...right? I mean we'll have to live a day like it's 1990 for a day, how hard can that be? Maybe all of the people without lives who just sit on the computer all day will finally go outside...

It's much more than "a day" of bad stuff. This would probably knock out unshielded electronics permanently. That has major consequences for everyone. Lines of communication would break down for days, or even weeks.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 1:47:58 PM
At 6/15/2010 1:46:44 PM, Volkov wrote:
It's much more than "a day" of bad stuff. This would probably knock out unshielded electronics permanently. That has major consequences for everyone. Lines of communication would break down for days, or even weeks.
I would say much longer, unless we are fully prepared for replacement of current empowerments and have back-ups.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 1:48:13 PM
At 6/15/2010 1:46:44 PM, Volkov wrote:

Back to the 19th century we go. :)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 2:44:10 PM

But seriously, if it happens it can't be that bad...right? I mean we'll have to live a day like it's 1990 for a day, how hard can that be?

I was happier back then, so that would be cool.

Maybe all of the people without lives who just sit on the computer all day will finally go outside...

What... I am scared.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 7:43:15 PM
At 6/15/2010 2:44:10 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

But seriously, if it happens it can't be that bad...right? I mean we'll have to live a day like it's 1990 for a day, how hard can that be?

I was happier back then, so that would be cool.

Note: The debt level will not go back to what it was then. And Obama will still be president.

Nevermind, 2013, not 2012.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 2:18:24 AM
Perhaps it will erase all the banking records?

Poor people in debt will have their slates wiped clean and rich people with savings will lose their entire fortunes.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 2:22:20 AM
At 6/16/2010 2:18:24 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Poor people in debt will have their slates wiped clean and rich people with savings will lose their entire fortunes.

Hmm interesting.

Does anyone have an underground bank vault to store Gold, artwork and electronics?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 2:39:14 AM
Hm. Is the Swiss bank protected? It has safe deposit boxes, and, if all the deposits were emptied, is estimated to hold a tenth of the worl'd wealth.
I miss the old members.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 7:26:23 AM
If the systems go down, naturally, money will lose their value. All the exchange values etc. will be reset, and dollar would be the same as yen and whatnot. Money will be in the boxes, but if the computers go down, we would not be able to figure out who they belong to.

This can be a serious problem and cause chaos, without doubt. Back-up systems and some shields should be developed.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 6:33:09 PM
At 6/16/2010 7:26:23 AM, Mirza wrote:
If the systems go down, naturally, money will lose their value. All the exchange values etc. will be reset, and dollar would be the same as yen and whatnot. Money will be in the boxes, but if the computers go down, we would not be able to figure out who they belong to.

This can be a serious problem and cause chaos, without doubt. Back-up systems and some shields should be developed.

Gold and violence will always equal wealth.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 12:27:23 AM
At 6/16/2010 2:18:24 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

You do know that wealthy people like Warren Buffett are much more likely to have liabilities far outweighing their assets, right?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 3:17:20 PM
NASA has a department concerned with predicting weather on the Sun. The 11-year sunspot cycle is predictable, but there are other cycles and events. Past solar storms have played havoc with satellite communications, so there will probably be problems with international net traffic. It's doubtful that a prediction of a large single event in 2013 is very accurate, however.

I wonder if the interruption was postponed in consideration of the 2012 elections . . .
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:02:39 PM
At 6/16/2010 7:26:23 AM, Mirza wrote:
If the systems go down, naturally, money will lose their value. All the exchange values etc. will be reset, and dollar would be the same as yen and whatnot.

Exchange rates are probably written down somewhere. I don't think anybody's going to forget that a yen is worth about a penny, though.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 4:05:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/19/2014 4:00:50 PM, slo1 wrote:
bump

You do realize this is the year 2014
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 4:07:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/19/2014 4:05:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/19/2014 4:00:50 PM, slo1 wrote:
bump

You do realize this is the year 2014

Yeah, but there has been more solar activity this year than last.