Jump to topic:

Robert Byrd dead at 92

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 6:16:16 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
We wouldn't want to speak ill of the dead...but this is the internet. This former
Grand Kleagle of the KKK who was fond of reciting the bible on the senate floor, and blocked civil rights legislation in the 1960's, as a life long Democrat, finally passed away in office. Half of West Virginia is named after this sheet clad dem. as he was a champion of bringing home the pork. RIP.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 6:19:55 AM
To note, he did apologize profusely for his actions in the KKK and over civil rights, and he's really tried hard to make up for it, passing several civil rights-related legislation and was one of the first to support Obama.

It's easy to skew context, innomen, especially when you narrow it so much. :)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 6:33:43 AM
At 6/28/2010 6:19:55 AM, Volkov wrote:
To note, he did apologize profusely for his actions in the KKK and over civil rights, and he's really tried hard to make up for it, passing several civil rights-related legislation and was one of the first to support Obama.

It's easy to skew context, innomen, especially when you narrow it so much. :)

So...if he were a republican, how do you think those apologies would go? He was everything that is wrong with congress.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 7:20:54 AM
At 6/28/2010 6:33:43 AM, innomen wrote:
So...if he were a republican, how do you think those apologies would go? He was everything that is wrong with congress.

Outside of pork spending, you mean? So a person can't reform themselves? Despite what they've done in the past, even if they've regretted it and tried their best to make up for it and have refused to let it cloud their judgment for the majority of their careers, they're still what is "wrong with Congress"?

That is a very sad view to take, innomen. Very sad indeed.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 7:26:15 AM
At 6/28/2010 7:20:54 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/28/2010 6:33:43 AM, innomen wrote:

Outside of pork spending, you mean? So a person can't reform themselves? Despite what they've done in the past, even if they've regretted it and tried their best to make up for it and have refused to let it cloud their judgment for the majority of their careers, they're still what is "wrong with Congress"?

That is a very sad view to take, innomen. Very sad indeed.

Outside of his abhorrent views on African Americans, he embodies what is wrong with our congress. He was in too long, he was motivated by one thing, getting re-elected and increasing his power base. Forgive my skepticism, but apologies from a politician is hardly a scarce commodity when their re-election is at stake. In a prior thread you agreed with me about a particular mindset that needs to change, and his mindset is a perfect example. Country be-damned, bring home the pork and get re-elected period the end.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 7:50:39 AM
At 6/28/2010 7:26:15 AM, innomen wrote:
Forgive my skepticism, but apologies from a politician is hardly a scarce commodity when their re-election is at stake.

Even when he's done no wrong since in regards to this sort of thing? Really? I mean, Byrd, until his death bed, to you, was a flaming racist? Give me a break innomen.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 8:02:54 AM
At 6/28/2010 7:50:39 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/28/2010 7:26:15 AM, innomen wrote:
Forgive my skepticism, but apologies from a politician is hardly a scarce commodity when their re-election is at stake.

Even when he's done no wrong since in regards to this sort of thing? Really? I mean, Byrd, until his death bed, to you, was a flaming racist? Give me a break innomen.

Tell me Volkov, when exactly did the late democrat cast off his sheets and embrace diversity?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 8:07:38 AM
At 6/28/2010 8:02:54 AM, innomen wrote:
Tell me Volkov, when exactly did the late democrat cast off his sheets and embrace diversity?

The man has sponsored, voted for and written several legislative pieces aimed at promoting and working for better civil rights. He was one of the first to embrace Barack Obama as a candidate. He's not said or done anything against blacks or others in his recent career. Just because he was a Dixiecrat, doesn't mean he is always a Dixiecrat.

Tell me, when in the last few terms has Byrd started running around yelling Sieg Heil, hm?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 8:09:01 AM
At 6/28/2010 8:07:38 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/28/2010 8:02:54 AM, innomen wrote:

The man has sponsored, voted for and written several legislative pieces aimed at promoting and working for better civil rights. He was one of the first to embrace Barack Obama as a candidate. He's not said or done anything against blacks or others in his recent career. Just because he was a Dixiecrat, doesn't mean he is always a Dixiecrat.

Tell me, when in the last few terms has Byrd started running around yelling Sieg Heil, hm?

Would you consider the open use of the "n" word as a teensey bit racist?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 8:11:26 AM
At 6/28/2010 8:09:01 AM, innomen wrote:

Depends on the context, of course. If he said the word while discussing it, then no; if he said it while ranting at a black guy, then yes.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 8:16:40 AM
At 6/28/2010 8:11:26 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/28/2010 8:09:01 AM, innomen wrote:

Depends on the context, of course. If he said the word while discussing it, then no; if he said it while ranting at a black guy, then yes.

I believe in several interviews he had used it conversationally. No he wasn't using it while lighting a cross on fire or anything like that. Hatred and bigotry doesn't leave a person so easily, particularly a southern ex KKK Grand Kleagle. You honestly could see yourself defending him if he were a republican? Volkov you're just being partisan.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 9:43:23 AM
What's so bad about blocking anti-property legislation?

Granted, that's not why he did it, but still :P.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 9:56:04 AM
At 6/28/2010 9:43:23 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
What's so bad about blocking anti-property legislation?

Granted, that's not why he did it, but still :P.

And do tell, why do you think he did it?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 3:06:45 PM
We know how well Republican apologies are accepted. Trent Lott said some kind words about Strom Thurmond on the occasion of Thurmond's 100th birthday. Thurmond was a former segregationist, and not so apologetic about it as Byrd. Lott profusely and repeatedly apologized for having implied approval of Thurmond's racism -- although Lott probably was approving of other things. However, the remark was terminal to Lott's senate career; he was ousted from the leadership and subsequently retired.

Clinton's said at Byrd's funeral that Byrd should be forgiven because joining the Klan was necessary for him to get elected. One still wonders if being a Klan recruiter was necessary.