Atheist group sues school over memorial

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2015 7:27:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.foxnews.com...

"Joann Christy's 26-year career educating children at Ravenswood Middle School came to a tragic end in 2004, when she died in a car accident. But her loved ones and the community she had served sought to remember her with an engraved, stone memorial near the school's entrance.

But more than a decade later, the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation wants the memorial gone, claiming its presence on public grounds violates the First Amendment. The foundation criticized the display as a promotion of religion that infringes on students rights. WSAZ.com reported that the foundation wrote a letter to the school requesting an investigation into the memorial and the "multiple Latin crosses" near the school's entrance.

Christy's family, apparently in an attempt to resolve the situation, reportedly agreed to the removal of the crosses, but left the angels in memory of Christy, who had a collection of angel figurines. The school has a meeting scheduled Thursday night to discuss the memorial issue and others that reportedly riled up the foundation, including a Nativity scene.

WSAZ pointed out that the atheist group did not have an issue with the school's mascot: a red devil."

Look anti-theists, when you sue schools over memorials to beloved teachers, you look like complete and utter assh*les. Find a better use for you life than crapping on the graves of dead people.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2015 12:40:03 PM
This is sick. Are you so offended over a memorial for a dead teacher? Don't you have more important things to worry about than how other people choose to pay respect for deceased people? How disrespectful. Omg crosses and angels. So offensive. Grow up and get over it. Next time a memorial is to be built there should be no religious figures but since this one was made 11 years ago why don't we just leave it.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2015 9:18:25 PM
"Atheist group sues school over memorial" What don't they sue people for. Same sht different day.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 5:09:07 PM
At 2/20/2015 7:27:13 AM, TN05 wrote:

"Joann Christy's 26-year career educating children at Ravenswood Middle School came to a tragic end in 2004, when she died in a car accident. But her loved ones and the community she had served sought to remember her with an engraved, stone memorial near the school's entrance.

But more than a decade later, the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation wants the memorial gone, claiming its presence on public grounds violates the First Amendment. The foundation criticized the display as a promotion of religion that infringes on students rights. WSAZ.com reported that the foundation wrote a letter to the school requesting an investigation into the memorial and the "multiple Latin crosses" near the school's entrance.

Christy's family, apparently in an attempt to resolve the situation, reportedly agreed to the removal of the crosses, but left the angels in memory of Christy, who had a collection of angel figurines. The school has a meeting scheduled Thursday night to discuss the memorial issue and others that reportedly riled up the foundation, including a Nativity scene.

WSAZ pointed out that the atheist group did not have an issue with the school's mascot: a red devil."

Look anti-theists, when you sue schools over memorials to beloved teachers, you look like complete and utter assh*les. Find a better use for you life than crapping on the graves of dead people.

I don't think it's ok to have crosses all over the place because it certainly violates the first amendment. Angels are also a religious symbol, especially if they appear with a halo on the head as it is the case.

Religious symbols in public places can be offensive to atheists concerned for keeping their children free of religious propaganda. In the same way, I'm sure most christians would object if Christy were a satanist and we allowed her family to put "hail satan" on her grave.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 7:10:26 PM
At 3/11/2015 5:09:07 PM, Otokage wrote:

I don't think it's ok to have crosses all over the place because it certainly violates the first amendment. Angels are also a religious symbol, especially if they appear with a halo on the head as it is the case.

To her, they were not. She just liked to collect angel statues. The only people interpreting them as religious are those who want to see them as religious.

Religious symbols in public places can be offensive to atheists concerned for keeping their children free of religious propaganda. In the same way, I'm sure most christians would object if Christy were a satanist and we allowed her family to put "hail satan" on her grave.

But that's the funny thing - the FFRF didn't sue the school over their mascot being a red devil. Devils are religious symbols, no?
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 8:29:01 AM
At 3/11/2015 7:10:26 PM, TN05 wrote:

To her, they were not. She just liked to collect angel statues. The only people interpreting them as religious are those who want to see them as religious.

But that's the problem. An angel on a grave is clearly susceptible of being interpreted as a christian symbol by pretty much anybody. That's what can not be allowed. As for the devil being a the mascot of a team called "Ravenwoods Demons" I don't see the religious intention there, it's a matter of the aesthetics of a football team, it is not done with any religious/satanic intention.

But that's the funny thing - the FFRF didn't sue the school over their mascot being a red devil. Devils are religious symbols, no?
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 9:50:16 AM
At 3/12/2015 8:29:01 AM, Otokage wrote:

But that's the problem. An angel on a grave is clearly susceptible of being interpreted as a christian symbol by pretty much anybody. That's what can not be allowed. As for the devil being a the mascot of a team called "Ravenwoods Demons" I don't see the religious intention there, it's a matter of the aesthetics of a football team, it is not done with any religious/satanic intention.

If Angels are religious how are devils, their counterparts, not? Your argument makes no sense.

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 10:14:31 AM
Damn, these disrespectful atheist. I may not believe in a flying man and all that afterlife stuff, but I at least respect the people who do. If it makes their lives better and they won't bother me with their preaching, then its fine by me.

To be honest, I'm willing to let my future children learn about religion (Though its kind of forced in my country). I understand how other atheists think religion is propaganda and it might convert their children, but if their children is going to live a happy life by being a Christian, then I'll be alright with it.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2015 12:03:32 PM
At 3/12/2015 9:50:16 AM, TN05 wrote:

If Angels are religious how are devils, their counterparts, not? Your argument makes no sense.

Angels being the mascot of a team called "Ravenswood Angels" wouldn't have a religious connotation in my opinion, despite being religion-related creatures. Angels on a memorial that says "Jhon, 1980-2015", are a clear christian symbol.

Thb, I wouldn't care about the memorial, but I understand how atheist fathers wanting to keep their children away from religious influence can be upset about it, especially if the school is already famous for putting religious symbols such as crosses on the site entrance. I do not think that the school intends to do religious proselytism, but they must understand that religious symbols are simply not allowed in public schools. They are acting against the law.

UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2015 11:11:08 PM

I agree with you, assuming the story told was accurate. I don't know why you're insulting all anti-theists though.

But remember, this should mean that if she were of a different religion, including one that might be offensive to you or others, the same should apply and you should be equally outraged. That is, if your reasons for being upset with this are as implied.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 12:58:23 PM
God forbid a memorial to a person contains some religious symbolism. I suppose we ought to remove the Star of David from any publicly funded Holocaust museums as well since they make reference to religion.

Seriously, how pathetic can you get? Anyone who argues that atheism isn't a religion isn't paying enough attention--this strain of anti-theism is no different from the evangelicals trying to force their ideology onto others.

It's almost certain they would lose in court, btw. The Supreme Court OK's Texas having a giant statue of the Ten Commandments at its capitol, having "In God We Trust" on all currency, having religious holidays off, and having references to God in the pledge of allegiance.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 1:01:46 PM
At 3/12/2015 12:03:32 PM, Otokage wrote:

Angels being the mascot of a team called "Ravenswood Angels" wouldn't have a religious connotation in my opinion, despite being religion-related creatures. Angels on a memorial that says "Jhon, 1980-2015", are a clear christian symbol.

Thb, I wouldn't care about the memorial, but I understand how atheist fathers wanting to keep their children away from religious influence can be upset about it, especially if the school is already famous for putting religious symbols such as crosses on the site entrance. I do not think that the school intends to do religious proselytism, but they must understand that religious symbols are simply not allowed in public schools. They are acting against the law.

That's right. Religious symbolism is NOT ALLOWED in schools. It's not like, idk, the kids make reference to God literally every day when they say the pledge.

Make no mistake, this is not wanting to protect their children from religious influence. This is a pathetic and disgusting attempt to force their own ideology unto others by desecrating a memorial to a school official, no different from an anti semite scraping the star of David off of a memorial to Holocaust victims.

DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 1:12:33 PM
At 3/17/2015 11:11:08 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

I agree with you, assuming the story told was accurate. I don't know why you're insulting all anti-theists though.

But remember, this should mean that if she were of a different religion, including one that might be offensive to you or others, the same should apply and you should be equally outraged. That is, if your reasons for being upset with this are as implied.

I can't speak for TN05, but I know I would and I think pretty much anyone who isn't an unreasonable prick would side with the family in this matter. If this lady was a devout Muslim and the memorial had Islamic symbolism all over it, it absolutely should remain. It's a memorial to a person, it shouldn't be turned into an anti-theist crusade. The dead deserve respect.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 1:55:02 PM
At 3/18/2015 1:12:33 PM, thett3 wrote:

I can't speak for TN05, but I know I would and I think pretty much anyone who isn't an unreasonable prick would side with the family in this matter. If this lady was a devout Muslim and the memorial had Islamic symbolism all over it, it absolutely should remain. It's a memorial to a person, it shouldn't be turned into an anti-theist crusade. The dead deserve respect.

Completely agree with you. It is completely outrageous they want it removed.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 2:30:15 PM

No, sorry. A public school is no place for a memorial full of islamic symbolism. They can do the memorial in their private garden if the want to. And btw the pledge should be banned too and we don't say it here in Europe.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 2:34:41 PM
At 3/18/2015 1:01:46 PM, thett3 wrote:

That's right. Religious symbolism is NOT ALLOWED in schools. It's not like, idk, the kids make reference to God literally every day when they say the pledge.

Make no mistake, this is not wanting to protect their children from religious influence. This is a pathetic and disgusting attempt to force their own ideology unto others by desecrating a memorial to a school official, no different from an anti semite scraping the star of David off of a memorial to Holocaust victims.

The point is, religious symbolism is not allowed in public schools. So it is expected that if someone finds a cross or a Mary statue on the school, he or she can protest. Now, if this is expected according to the law, why the hell do I have to allow symbolism because somebody died? Out of pity? No sorry, people's pity don't give you freedom to break the law.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 2:39:00 PM
At 3/18/2015 2:30:15 PM, Otokage wrote:

No, sorry. A public school is no place for a memorial full of islamic symbolism. They can do the memorial in their private garden if the want to. And btw the pledge should be banned too and we don't say it here in Europe.

Of course you don't say the American pledge in Europe, lol. The point is, this is a prickish thing to do. You can assert that a public school is "no place" for memorials all you want, but I don't see any reason to desecrate a memorial just because the aesthetics make anti theist bigots uncomfortable.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 2:39:06 PM
At 3/18/2015 2:34:41 PM, Otokage wrote:

The point is, religious symbolism is not allowed in public schools. So it is expected that if someone finds a cross or a Mary statue on the school, he or she can protest. Now, if this is expected according to the law, why the hell do I have to allow symbolism because somebody died? Out of pity? No sorry, people's pity don't give you freedom to break the law.

It's not against the law. The argument that it's against the law would get utterly torn to shreds in court.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 4:01:08 PM

If you would care to learn the truth and not fall into the Fox news war against Christianity bs then you would have read about how it was a nativity scene that raised the hackles of this Freedom from Religion Foundation. They believe that if the teacher was into collecting angle figurines it may be legal to have it on her granite memorial.

You should be ashamed for vilifying atheists in particular the bearing false witness part. Not very Christian like.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 4:37:15 PM
At 3/18/2015 4:01:08 PM, slo1 wrote:

If you would care to learn the truth and not fall into the Fox news war against Christianity bs then you would have read about how it was a nativity scene that raised the hackles of this Freedom from Religion Foundation. They believe that if the teacher was into collecting angle figurines it may be legal to have it on her granite memorial.

I don't think you've actually read the story. The primary complaint was about the crosses at the memorial as well as the angels; the nativity was secondary (http://www.wsaz.com...).

You should be ashamed for vilifying atheists in particular the bearing false witness part. Not very Christian like.

I did not vilify atheists, I vilified anti-theists. There is a tremendous difference between the two.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 4:44:54 PM
At 3/18/2015 4:37:15 PM, TN05 wrote:

I don't think you've actually read the story. The primary complaint was about the crosses at the memorial as well as the angels; the nativity was secondary (http://www.wsaz.com...).

I did not vilify atheists, I vilified anti-theists. There is a tremendous difference between the two.

Fair enough to make that distinction, but you ignore the larger point of giving a dishonest assessment of the situation.

Let me ask this. Does an anti-theists not have a right to not have to walk through nativity scenes, multitude of crosses, and other clear Christian symbols on his walk into school? Why do you feel a state institution has the right to promote those symbols upon the general populace?
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 4:54:55 PM
At 3/18/2015 4:44:54 PM, slo1 wrote:

Fair enough to make that distinction, but you ignore the larger point of giving a dishonest assessment of the situation.

I was not dishonest. Their principal complaint was about the memorial - not a nativity event that had occurred months prior.

And I have no problem with atheists. Every atheist I've personally met has been friendly. I have a problem with anti-theists, who spend most of their time yelling at religious people, ignoring the plank in their own eyes.

Let me ask this. Does an anti-theists not have a right to not have to walk through nativity scenes, multitude of crosses, and other clear Christian symbols on his walk into school?
Why do you feel a state institution has the right to promote those symbols upon the general populace?

There is no right to not be offended; provided there is no favoritism for any religion, having a religious memorial is not inappropriate. This would mean, of course, the school would be willing to have Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, etc. memorials for teachers as well.

That's beside the point, though. This type of stuff makes atheists as a whole look like assh*les who have no respect for the dead or their families. Atheists should pick their battles very, very wisely.
WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 5:05:25 PM

This. The logic that children seeing Christian symbolism on a memorial at their school will 'pollute their minds' with religious indoctrination is so ridiculously idiotic that I can't even wrap my head around how people can honestly bring themselves to believe it. Members and supporters of the Freedom from Religion Foundation should be ashamed of themselves; this is a new low even for them. Separation of church and state was meant only to make sure that the state doesn't use its power to support one faith over another-- to prevent government-enforced religious discrimination and ensure that the right to the freedom of religion is fully preserved. Idk how anti-theists have interpreted that as being a cause for removing all traces of religious influence from the public sphere. It's total BS.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 5:09:52 PM
At 3/18/2015 4:54:55 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 3/18/2015 4:44:54 PM, slo1 wrote:

I was not dishonest. Their principal complaint was about the memorial - not a nativity event that had occurred months prior.

There you go being dishonest again. It was a complaint about both. In fact it was a letter from this non-profit directly to the school leaders asking them to review both. It was not a law suit, but a private matter that was only outed in the news after Christians decided to get offended and create this war on Christian propaganda bs. Exactly how should someone with a concern broach the topic so it does not offend Christians? You will notice the school address the nativity scene and took down the crosses at the memorial. It was the right thing to do regardless of you and others being offended. Start focusing on truths rather than trying to paint non-religious people as being unreasonable.

And I have no problem with atheists. Every atheist I've personally met has been friendly. I have a problem with anti-theists, who spend most of their time yelling at religious people, ignoring the plank in their own eyes.

Let me ask this. Does an anti-theists not have a right to not have to walk through nativity scenes, multitude of crosses, and other clear Christian symbols on his walk into school?
Why do you feel a state institution has the right to promote those symbols upon the general populace?

There is no right to not be offended; provided there is no favoritism for any religion, having a religious memorial is not inappropriate. This would mean, of course, the school would be willing to have Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, etc. memorials for teachers as well.

I never stated anything about a right to not be offended. I asked if a person has a right to walk in a public school without being assaulted with various religious symbols?

That's beside the point, though. This type of stuff makes atheists as a whole look like assh*les who have no respect for the dead or their families. Atheists should pick their battles very, very wisely.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:11:28 PM
At 3/18/2015 2:39:00 PM, thett3 wrote:

Of course you don't say the American pledge in Europe, lol.

No pledge.

The point is, this is a prickish thing to do. You can assert that a public school is "no place" for memorials all you want.

It's no place for religious symbolism. Are you ok with your children being exposed to satanic symbolism because of a memorial just because the person that died was a devote satanist? To an atheist, christianity and satanism can be equaly offensive.

but I don't see any reason to desecrate a memorial just because the aesthetics make anti theist bigots uncomfortable.

Oh so it's the aesthetics. Why don't we sacrifice a sheep for the aesthetics sake? Or put a nazi flag! it's just aesthetics! Bigots f*ck off!!

C'mon...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:25:18 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:11:28 PM, Otokage wrote:

No pledge.

I don't even know what you're trying to say. The point is, American children are exposed to the idea of God every single day when they say the pledge or when they use the currency.

The point is, this is a prickish thing to do. You can assert that a public school is "no place" for memorials all you want.

It's no place for religious symbolism. Are you ok with your children being exposed to satanic symbolism because of a memorial just because the person that died was a devote satanist? To an atheist, christianity and satanism can be equaly offensive.

What's satanic symbolism? A pentagram? Sure, why not? The memorial is in place out of respect to the individual, not to appeal to every persons sensibilities. These people need to learn some respect.

And again you've never explained why it's no place for symbolism. Keep asserting things.

but I don't see any reason to desecrate a memorial just because the aesthetics make anti theist bigots uncomfortable.

Oh so it's the aesthetics. Why don't we sacrifice a sheep for the aesthetics sake? Or put a nazi flag! it's just aesthetics! Bigots f*ck off!!

C'mon...

You're only making yourself look worse by comparing a Nazi flag to an image of an angel on someone's memorial
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:28:24 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:25:18 PM, thett3 wrote:

C'mon...

You're only making yourself look worse by comparing a Nazi flag to an image of an angel on someone's memorial
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:31:50 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:25:18 PM, thett3 wrote:

No pledge.

I don't even know what you're trying to say. The point is, American children are exposed to the idea of God every single day when they say the pledge or when they use the currency.

I'm saying it's a silly argument. "Sure people are exposed to christian symbolis, so hey, let's expose them even more!"

Hello?

What's satanic symbolism? A pentagram? Sure, why not? The memorial is in place out of respect to the individual, not to appeal to every persons sensibilities. These people need to learn some respect.

What about an inverted cross? Satan's image, etc?

And again you've never explained why it's no place for symbolism. Keep asserting things.

It violates the first amendment to put religious symbolism on public institutions.

C'mon...

A nazi flag represents Hitler, an angel represents the christian God. You don't want to start a topic on which of those two is more atrocious.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:41:11 PM
lol @ Otakage even trying to argue this
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...